Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Organix topic #1697

Subject: "Asia/ The Far East. School me." Previous topic | Next topic
Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
2696 posts
Wed Feb-15-17 07:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Asia/ The Far East. School me."

I might be going to Korea and/or Japan. Is there a huge language barrier? I'm the kind of dude who can generally find his way around without a lot of help. But I've only travelled mostly to tourist friendly /English speaking countries (and Europe), and the Caribbean.

I'm not afraid or anything,I'm willing to step out on the ledge if need be; I'm just wondering if it'll be easy to navigate as an English speaking person (street signs, merchants, etc). Any tips or info?

Back again for the first time.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm by no means an expert.
Mar 21st 2017
most ppl dont learn a brand new language just to visit a place
Apr 28th 2017
in far east asia, only spots been so far are Philippines and Malaysia
Apr 28th 2017

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
6001 posts
Tue Mar-21-17 09:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm by no means an expert."
In response to Reply # 0

The only thing I can relay is that it's probably best to begin to learn the language spoken in the country you choose before you visit / live there.

My brother lived in Taiwan for a year after he finished his undergrad. He taught English there and had a nice enough time while he was there. But he did try Chinese for a couple of semesters while he was in college, which helped himself acclimate to Taiwanese culture.

I'm sure being somewhat competent in the language being spoken can only help. And living in a modern city and country increases the likelihood that you will land in a place where you can find resources provided in English or at the very least find expats who can point you in the right direction if / when you need help.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
40766 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 01:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "most ppl dont learn a brand new language just to visit a place"
In response to Reply # 1

it'd be nice but that's a big stretch to try to be fluent in a language just so u can visit a few weeks....

I travel a lot for business and leisure and although it does help a lot that I speak fluently in English and French and my Spanish is so-so.... I never stopped myself from going anywhere... I have yet to step foot in a place where zero English was spoken... but just know that google translate is your friend and u can actually download the app on ur phone and save a whole particular language without the need to connect to wifi to have access to it... check this: http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-05-11/google-translate-is-now-available-offline-for-when-you-travel

if u wanna go deeper, u could download an app like duolingo and start teaching urself the language on a daily basis til u travel....

not to mention that online u have a million resources where u will learn what to say or how to say it in any country in the world

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
40766 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "in far east asia, only spots been so far are Philippines and Malaysia"
In response to Reply # 0

not speaking the local language was not an issue at all.... mind u, I stayed in the capitals, Manilla and Kaula Lumpur....

I got a few friends who have been to Japan and even though Japanese culture is very insular, so not that many folks that speak English or care to speak it with u, they managed to get by pretty easily... again, google translate is ur friend... cop a lonely planet and ur good to go

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Lobby Organix topic #1697 Previous topic | Next topic