Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Organix topic #1608

Subject: "OkayCyclist: Summer Madness..." Previous topic | Next topic
CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Mon Jun-27-16 04:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OkayCyclist: Summer Madness..."

..summer is in full swing.

beautiful weather, plenty of outdoor options, and a LOT of love at the beach.

local/regional events? post 'em up!

planning group rides? post up!

need info for building/tuning up your bike? ask away.

whatSAYyou?..

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
my plan for the summer is to be totally bike-dependent
Jul 01st 2016
cycling is fun and great exercise...
Jul 07th 2016
How are the bike lanes in B-More?
Jul 07th 2016
      pretty much non-existent
Jul 19th 2016
           watching communities refuse to recognize evolution...
Jul 20th 2016
Reading about these rash of cyclists deaths here in NYC
Jul 07th 2016
the increase is startling...
Jul 08th 2016
warriors!..
Jul 12th 2016
My friend's group won that ride
Jul 27th 2016
      i had every intention of joining that ride this year...
Jul 28th 2016
*hit and run*
Aug 08th 2016
Did you report the incident?
Aug 08th 2016
reported, but no working cameras to capture the incident...
Aug 09th 2016
      Check these out
Aug 10th 2016
           complete disregard for safety...
Aug 11th 2016
damn, man...I'm sorry that happened to you...
Aug 09th 2016
      thanks, man...
Aug 09th 2016
Got hit by a car today.
Aug 28th 2016
happy to hear you walked away with minor injuries...
Aug 29th 2016
*transportation alternatives (nyc): ENOUGH (9/15/16)...
Aug 29th 2016
Please give an update if you have the info.
Aug 30th 2016
      i'm posting that info as soon as they list it...
Aug 30th 2016
           *UPDATE (details announced)*
Sep 02nd 2016
                Thanks for the update.
Sep 02nd 2016
                     the train is a lost cause for cyclist during rush hour...
Sep 06th 2016
                          I have class at 7:30 in Brooklyn
Sep 08th 2016
                               i'll represent for bk, fam...
Sep 09th 2016
back in action...
Sep 11th 2016

akon
Charter member
26689 posts
Fri Jul-01-16 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "my plan for the summer is to be totally bike-dependent"
In response to Reply # 0

right now i'm still taking the bus to a couple of places (e.g to school)
but baltimore is so small, there is really no reason why i am not biking everywhere
(except being unfit)
so the plan is that by the end of the summer...
i should be able to get to everywhere i need to go by bike

last week, i was sitting at a bar, street watching
when the baltimore bike party rode by
i had no idea wtf it was, then
but picture hundreds of people on bikes riding down the street
it was waves and waves and waves of bikers
looked like so much fun i am definitely doing this next month

https://www.facebook.com/BaltimoreBikeParty/

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Thu Jul-07-16 12:37 PM

2. "cycling is fun and great exercise..."
In response to Reply # 1

..happy to hear you're giving it a try in your area.

group rides are always fun. keep us updated on your progress.

ride swift & safe.

Numba_33
Charter member
15929 posts
Thu Jul-07-16 01:49 PM

4. "How are the bike lanes in B-More?"
In response to Reply # 1

Google maps is you best friend (for the most part) when making bike related routes in your city, depending how the bike lanes operate in B-More. Definitely a lot better to ride a bike around town rather than having to rely on public transportation.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

akon
Charter member
26689 posts
Tue Jul-19-16 04:56 PM

7. "pretty much non-existent"
In response to Reply # 4

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Wed Jul-20-16 10:34 AM

8. "watching communities refuse to recognize evolution..."
In response to Reply # 7

..can be extremely frustrating.

the fact that people continue to fight plans that are working in similar cities (large & small) just shows the uphill climb facing anyone that proposes change.

keep fighting the good fight.

Numba_33
Charter member
15929 posts
Thu Jul-07-16 01:48 PM

3. "Reading about these rash of cyclists deaths here in NYC"
In response to Reply # 0

is a bit troubling. 12 so far this year; I read this time last year there were five. I ride mainly on residential roads, so I'm relatively safe for the most part, but it makes me keep my guard up everytime I read about a new death.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Fri Jul-08-16 03:48 PM

5. "the increase is startling..."
In response to Reply # 3

..but not exactly surprising when you consider the increased amount of cyclists on the road as well.

still, its troubling to see that nypd is still slow to cite motorist for infractions involving cyclist. the fact that each of the reported cycling deaths this year were immediately met with nypd aggression towards cyclist continues to push the narrative that shows bias against cyclist.

ride safe & swift.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 02:34 PM

6. "warriors!.."
In response to Reply # 0

..come out to PLAAAAAAAY-EEEEE-AAAAAAY!!

i will NOT miss this ride next year:

http://gothamist.com/2016/07/05/warriors_fun_ride.php#photo-1

13Rose
Charter member
19011 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 12:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "My friend's group won that ride"
In response to Reply # 6

I was supposed to do it but man that shit is really ALL NIGHT. Maybe next year. MAYBE.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 07:43 AM

10. "i had every intention of joining that ride this year..."
In response to Reply # 9

..but the way my schedule is set up... © hart

i'm definitely putting together a team next year.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Mon Aug-08-16 12:23 PM

11. "*hit and run*"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-08-16 12:30 PM by CyrenYoung

..i was involved in a hit & run incident last friday morning. i was hit by a guy drivin' an audi suv (in the bike lane).

fortunately, i walked away with minor scrapes/bruises (thankfully, i was wearing sleeves). unfortunately, my bottom bracket was destroyed

still, things could've very easily been worse, and i'm truly grateful. years of riding motorcycles (and proper training) taught me how to fall.

there were witnesses, but no one was able to get the plate #. one nice couple stopped to help (witnessess). the wife was damn-near hysterical 'cause she was convinced i was severely injured and in shock, from the look of my bottom bracket. i'm fine, but after reviewing this pic, i can clearly see how my lower leg could've snapped just as easily.

*btw: my bracket spindle is forged steel (not standard plastic):

http://i.imgur.com/b7gaQRw.jpg

anyway, this soreness is a simple reminder of the fine line between life & death. keep your head on a swivel.

ride swift & safe.

Numba_33
Charter member
15929 posts
Mon Aug-08-16 03:17 PM

12. "Did you report the incident?"
In response to Reply # 11

If so, how did that go down? Also, where did this accident occur? If I'm guessing right, it appears as if the SUV dipped into your bike line and hit you; is that accurate? I'm curious if there any cameras in the spot where you got hit; as much as I hate biking in Manhattan, the constant surveillance is one advantage over other the other boros.

Did you read on Gothamist about the incident in Williamsburg where a car chased down a cyclist on the bike path in that neighborhood? The horrible thing in that incident is that the bike path has a divider separating it, so the car is forced to drive down the bike path until the divider ends. If memory serves me right, the cyclist(s) involved in the incident avoided collision by hopping on a nearby sidewalk.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 04:10 PM

14. "reported, but no working cameras to capture the incident..."
In response to Reply # 12

>If so, how did that go down? Also, where did this accident
>occur? If I'm guessing right, it appears as if the SUV dipped
>into your bike line and hit you; is that accurate? I'm curious
>if there any cameras in the spot where you got hit; as much
>I hate biking in Manhattan, the constant surveillance is one
>advantage over other the other boros.

..the incident occurred on bedford (approaching dekalb). the driver saw that there was traffic ahead for motorist and decided to skate down the parking lane/bike lane (for whatever reason, there were no cars parked near the corner). he dipped across the bike lane right after i passed him, then accelerated.

>Did you read on Gothamist about the incident in Williamsburg
>where a car chased down a cyclist on the bike path in that
>neighborhood? The horrible thing in that incident is that the
>bike path has a divider separating it, so the car is forced
>to drive down the bike path until the divider ends. If memory
>serves me right, the cyclist(s) involved in the incident
>avoided collision by hopping on a nearby sidewalk.

if you're referring to the incident on the pulaski bridge, then i know exactly what you're talking about. believe it or not, its happened a few times since they opened the new protected bike lane. unfortunately, they neglected to put up proper signage and that particular intersection can be a little confusing for unsuspecting motorist. *here's a news report on that incident:

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/bicyclist-captures-car-in-bike-lane-on-pulaski-bridge/1380829/

Numba_33
Charter member
15929 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 11:21 AM

16. "Check these out"
In response to Reply # 14

I was looking for this incident that I was aware of ( http://gothamist.com/2016/07/12/brooklyn_road_rage_bike_lane.php ), and found out about another incident where a TRUCK drove against traffic on the gorgeous bike path on Kent Avenue ( http://gothamist.com/2016/06/24/take_back_the_car_lane.php ). The first incident is a bit messed up since the cyclist instigated the driver by cursing at him, but chasing down a cyclist on a path with a divider on it is pretty scary none the less. I wasn't a fan of Doomberg for the most part, but I have to give him credit for expanding the bike paths in this city.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Thu Aug-11-16 04:23 PM

17. "complete disregard for safety..."
In response to Reply # 16

..that shit is crazy.

i've personally witness people driving in protected lanes (to skate past traffic congestion).

during my brooklyn route of the 2016 TD Bank 5 Boro Bike Tour a motorist approaching kent ave was upset about the barricades for street closures. this idiot drove around the barricade, onto kent, and proceeded to drive the wrong way. he was promptly stopped and arrested, but that just shows the utter disregard for public safety.

Dstl1
Charter member
41419 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 01:44 PM

13. "damn, man...I'm sorry that happened to you..."
In response to Reply # 11

glad you're not worse off. Every time we go out there, we could get messed up. Fuckin sucks.

...listen to my father, BITCH! - Shuan Price

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 04:17 PM

15. "thanks, man..."
In response to Reply # 13

..i knew somethin' was wrong when he crossed into the bike lane recklessly, and those instincts saved my life.

Numba_33
Charter member
15929 posts
Sun Aug-28-16 07:36 PM

18. "Got hit by a car today."
In response to Reply # 0

The incident occurred on a one way street secondary street in Brooklyn. There was no bike lane, but I rode on the right hand side of the street, which is normal on streets with no buses on them. A car to the left and rear to me decided they needed to make a right hand turn, regardless of the fact I was in front of her. Pretty much got T-boned on a lovely, peaceful Sunday afternoon. Both the front and rear tires got screwed up and one of the pedals has to get replaced as well. Fortunately I wasn't hit directly and I only have a scrape on my left art and my right wrist is sore at the moment.

I screwed up by not taking the woman's plate number, nor did I report it. I was so pissed off, I wasn't thinking straight and was too irate to dial 911.

To top it off, the front key to where I live got broken in the midst of the hit. Hopefully it won't be too hard to replace the key in question.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 04:05 PM

19. "happy to hear you walked away with minor injuries..."
In response to Reply # 18

..but saddened to hear that you didn't report the incident.

certainly understandable that your were shaken up and not exactly keen on everything.

please take the time to see a physician.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 04:17 PM

20. "*transportation alternatives (nyc): ENOUGH (9/15/16)..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.facebook.com/TransportationAlternatives/?pnref=story

People on bikes are being killed or injured every week.
If it’s not safe for us to ride alone, then we ride together.

#Sept15 #RideTogether

Please join Transportation Alternatives, Families For Safe Streets, Right of Way and Kidical Mass BK on September 15 when we ride together to demand streets safe for biking and walking.

We ride for 16 people killed biking; 74 people killed walking; 28 people killed by cowardly hit-and-run drivers so far in 2016. More cyclists have been killed in the first 8 months of 2016 than in all of last year. Hit and run drivers have killed more people so far this year than in all of 2015.

This is a bike ride, but whether you ride a bike or not, all New Yorkers who care about Vision Zero are welcome to join us at the start and finish.

IMPORTANT DETAILS:
- Start and end location will be announced soon
- This is a peaceful and non-violent protest ride
- We will obey all traffic laws at all times and stop at all red signal lights, unless directed otherwise by an NYPD officer

Numba_33
Charter member
15929 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 10:57 AM

21. "Please give an update if you have the info."
In response to Reply # 20

I hope I can get in on this after work.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 04:33 PM

22. "i'm posting that info as soon as they list it..."
In response to Reply # 21
Tue Aug-30-16 04:33 PM by CyrenYoung

..in this forum AND gd.

i've already blocked that evening on my calendar.

i'm not missing this.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 11:47 AM

23. "*UPDATE (details announced)*"
In response to Reply # 22

https://www.facebook.com/events/1817898551778094/

Gather at 6 pm at the Fountain of Pamona at E. 59th St & 5th Ave, Manhattan. We ride at 6:30 pm.

Wear yellow.
Don't forget: A bell and lights are required by law on your bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Yorkers are being killed or injured every day, just walking to school or riding their bike home from work.

If it’s not safe for us to ride alone, then we ride together. On September 15, we ride to demand safe passage for all New Yorkers.

#Sept15 #RideTogether

Please join Transportation Alternatives, Families For Safe Streets, Right of Way, Kidical Mass BK, 5BBC and Bike New York on September 15 when we ride together to demand streets safe for biking and walking.

We ride for 16 people killed biking; 74 people killed walking; 29 people killed by cowardly hit-and-run drivers so far in 2016. More cyclists have been killed in the first 8 months of 2016 than in all of last year. Hit and run drivers have killed more people so far this year than in all of 2015.

This is a bike ride, but whether you ride a bike or not, all New Yorkers who care about Vision Zero are welcome to join us at the start and finish.

IMPORTANT DETAILS:
- Wear yellow. Bring lights and a bell for your bike.
- This is a peaceful and non-violent protest ride.
- We will obey all traffic laws at all times and stop at all red signal lights, unless directed otherwise by an NYPD officer.

Numba_33
Charter member
15929 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 02:55 PM

24. "Thanks for the update."
In response to Reply # 23

Unless I take my bike on the subway, there's no way on earth I'd make it to that location in time.

I hope the event has a decent enough turnout though. Given the number of bike related deaths so far this year and the location, I'm sure enough folks within that vicinity of Manhattan will turn out.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Tue Sep-06-16 05:56 PM

25. "the train is a lost cause for cyclist during rush hour..."
In response to Reply # 24

..so i certainly understand your position.

i have a few friends leaving work an hour early for the event, but most people don't have that option.

13Rose
Charter member
19011 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 04:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "I have class at 7:30 in Brooklyn"
In response to Reply # 25

That's a no go for me. This is a great cause though. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Was riding down Flatbush the other night along the park (aka the danger zone) and saw three bikes on the ground with a dude being put in an ambulance with a neck brace. Who knows what happened there.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Fri Sep-09-16 06:07 PM

27. "i'll represent for bk, fam..."
In response to Reply # 26

..we have quite a few crew members joining me.

wishing the people involved the incident you passed a speedy recovery.

this dialogue must move forward.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30719 posts
Sun Sep-11-16 06:48 PM

28. "back in action..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-14-16 02:47 AM by CyrenYoung

..finally got my bike back on the road last week.

a few upgrades (finally mounted my svmono bullhorns, bar end brake calipers, new specialized stem, lizard skins grips, & forged steel bottom bracket). taking my time getting used to the new stance (esp extended on the bullhorns), but the increase in power/speed is nice.

took her out for her 1st official group ride with my crew yesterday for our annual rockaway beach ride (30 miles, rd trip). she handled like a new corvette (quick, agile, with plenty of torque & power). smooth sailing the entire route.

its good to be back.

http://i.imgur.com/kz3HkKk.jpg

Lobby Organix topic #1608 Previous topic | Next topic