Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Organix topic #1581

Subject: "OKSangha - Do you meditate? If so, how is your practice going?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
5770 posts
Fri May-20-16 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKSangha - Do you meditate? If so, how is your practice going?"

I've been meditating for a while - on and off for fifteen years. Some of that time I would use different visualization techniques, but now I mostly practice mindfulness meditation.

I had a minor health scare about three months ago and then increased the frequency of my sessions and the length of each session;meditating every day for at least 25 minutes and on some days another 35 minutes session in the evening.

The results have been really positive. My chronic anxieties have lessened and psychosomatic discomfort in my body has decreased as well.

But my practice hasn't always been as disciplined. Some months I would skip whole weeks, so I definitely empathize with the struggles to sit.

So if you do meditate, feel free to share or if you have questions, list them here.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
No one here meditates?
Sep 10th 2016
I do christian meditation. I'm somewhat happy with it.
Sep 16th 2016
Do you mean 'centering prayer'?
Sep 19th 2016
      I suppose some people who do christian meditation do it like they are
Sep 19th 2016
           The description you gave is known as centering prayer.
Sep 21st 2016
                Not according to the link you sent
Sep 22nd 2016
                     My bad
Sep 25th 2016

obsidianchrysalis
5770 posts
Sat Sep-10-16 11:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "No one here meditates?"
In response to Reply # 0

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
7975 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 12:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I do christian meditation. I'm somewhat happy with it."
In response to Reply # 0

When I start fasting again, Jesus Christ, willing, it should be pretty good then.

obsidianchrysalis
5770 posts
Mon Sep-19-16 02:49 AM

3. "Do you mean 'centering prayer'?"
In response to Reply # 2

Or do you have a state of calm that you enter when you pray?

I haven't heard of Christian meditation before and am kind of interested to find out more.

c71
7975 posts
Mon Sep-19-16 11:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I suppose some people who do christian meditation do it like they are"
In response to Reply # 3

praying (communicating with Jesus and the Heavenly Father)

I've always heard people describe christian meditation as just being calm and relaxed (like other types of meditation) and thinking of Bible verses and maybe statements that seem spiritual as opposed to mantras that other forms of meditation get into.

So as far as I am aware that's what christian meditation is: relaxing, maybe focusing on breathing and thinking of Bible verses and other spiritual type of statements instead of the mantras of the other kinds of meditation.

obsidianchrysalis
5770 posts
Wed Sep-21-16 08:07 PM

5. "The description you gave is known as centering prayer."
In response to Reply # 4

It's an interesting technique.

Here's a Wikipedia entry about the technique:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centering_prayer

The few times I used the technique, I got quite a bit of insight and calm from the prayers.

c71
7975 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 09:59 AM

6. "Not according to the link you sent"
In response to Reply # 5

from the link:

"Centering Prayer advocates link the practice to traditional forms of Christian meditation, such as on the rosary, or Lectio Divina. Critics, however, note that these traditional prayers engage the heart and mind with Sacred Scripture, while Centering Prayer is 'devoid of content.'"

I clearly indicated that in the christian meditation that I do, and what the link calls "traditional forms of Christian meditation", I think of Bible verses and spiritual statements.

obsidianchrysalis
5770 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 04:00 AM

7. "My bad"
In response to Reply # 6

I misread the wiki page. I didn't intend to define your form of meditation as something it is not.

Lobby Organix topic #1581 Previous topic | Next topic