Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Organix topic #1490

Subject: "Eliminating 2 phrases can make you more successful" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
7752 posts
Sat Feb-06-16 01:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Eliminating 2 phrases can make you more successful"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stanford-professor-says-eliminating-2-153500571.html

A Stanford professor says eliminating 2 phrases from your vocabulary can make you more successful

Business Insider By Shana Lebowitz

Your language shapes the way you approach your goals.

The way you speak not only affects how others perceive you; it also has the potential to shape your behavior.

Swapping one word for another could make all the difference in how you approach your goals.

That's according to Bernard Roth, a professor of engineering at Stanford and the academic director of Stanford's Hasso Plattner Institute of Design (the d.school).

In his new book, "The Achievement Habit," Roth suggests several linguistic tweaks that can make you more successful. Here are two of the easiest:

1. Swap "but" for "and."

You might be tempted to say, "I want to go to the movies, but I have work to do."

Instead, Roth suggests saying, "I want to go to the movies, and I have work to do."

He writes: "When you use the word but, you create a conflict (and sometimes a reason) for yourself that does not really exist." In other words, it's possible to go to the movies as well as do your work — you just need to find a solution.

Meanwhile, when you use the word and, "your brain gets to consider how it can deal with both parts of the sentence," Roth writes. Maybe you'll see a shorter movie; maybe you'll delegate some of your work.

2. Swap "have to" for "want to."

Roth recommends a simple exercise: The next few times you say "I have to" in your mind, change have to want.

"This exercise is very effective in getting people to realize that what they do in their lives — even the things they find unpleasant — are in fact what they have chosen," he says.

For example, one of Roth's students felt he had to take the math courses required for his graduate program, even though he hated them. At some point after completing the exercise, he realized that he really did want to take the classes because the benefit of completing the requirement outweighed the discomfort of sitting through classes he didn't enjoy.

Both of these tweaks are based on a key component of a problem-solving strategy called "design thinking." When you employ this strategy, you try to challenge your automatic thinking and see things as they really are.

And when you experiment with different language, you may realize that a problem isn't as unsolvable as it seems, and that you have more control over your life than you previously believed.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thanks
Jun 06th 2016
you're welcome
Jun 07th 2016
this is actually pretty good advice
Jul 05th 2016
'Should' and 'Should Not' ought to be avoided as well
Jul 17th 2016

13Rose
Charter member
18723 posts
Mon Jun-06-16 05:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 0

But brings Rain, Hail, Snow, and Earthquakes.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
7752 posts
Tue Jun-07-16 05:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "you're welcome"
In response to Reply # 1

yes

akon
Charter member
26683 posts
Tue Jul-05-16 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "this is actually pretty good advice"
In response to Reply # 0

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
5598 posts
Sun Jul-17-16 09:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "'Should' and 'Should Not' ought to be avoided as well"
In response to Reply # 0

Using 'should' may or may not make someone successful, but minimizing it's use and looking into the your true feelings or motivations versus the actions expected of you can decrease frustrations within relationships.

Lobby Organix topic #1490 Previous topic | Next topic