Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Organix topic #1384

Subject: "OkayCyclist: the leaves of autumn..." Previous topic | Next topic
CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Fri Sep-25-15 08:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OkayCyclist: the leaves of autumn..."

..summer's officially over and autumn is in full swing.

for everyone fortunate enough to live in regions that experience a true autumn, the colors of the season are more than enough motivation to get out on the road. milder temps, cool breeze, and a bit more rain make for an interesting mix of road hazards:

wet leaves.

just another form of quicksand that threatens every cyclist. avoiding wet leaves can be difficult in traffic, so be careful while braking/turning.

a change in season is the perfect opportunity for a tune up (esp for active cyclist).

plans to accessorize/upgrade this fall? eyeing new gear for inclement weather? post up your plans and share your tricks & tools for the road.

as always: ride safe & swift.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
new commute
Sep 28th 2015
wait... why aren't you biking the entire route?..
Sep 28th 2015
      10.4 miles + 94 degrees + singlespeed = musty
Oct 01st 2015
           details make the difference...
Oct 08th 2015
is there anything i need to consider/worry about
Sep 28th 2015
things to consider...
Sep 28th 2015
I run wider on the rear for the past year.....
Sep 29th 2015
it's an OEM cannondale rim
Sep 30th 2015
      I just saw you're trying to run 700x38 rear...that's kinda large...
Sep 30th 2015
i have 700 x 38 on the rear (bontrager h2 hard-case ultimate)
Oct 01st 2015
      got a pic of what that looks like? If my skinny rims can handle it,
Oct 01st 2015
           i still have a flip phone :| :/
Oct 01st 2015
                lol. Flip Phones are the new Record Players..looks like it fits
Oct 02nd 2015
                not bad...
Oct 16th 2015
*Fat Guy Cycling Across America (LINK)*
Oct 08th 2015
*full swipe* (USA Today story)...
Oct 08th 2015
damn, I'd love to do something...even just ride with him for a few miles...
Oct 08th 2015
      okay, I see that you can donate...
Oct 08th 2015
           yeah, his blog is the best way to track him and his progress...
Oct 09th 2015
Yall ride this weekend? Weather in the Lou was amazing...
Oct 11th 2015
you're right, the weather has been amazing for the start of autumn...
Oct 13th 2015
Can anyone recommend some lights?
Oct 12th 2015
you're already on the right track...
Oct 13th 2015
Cygolite is a great brand. I've used them exclusively for the past 5 yea...
Oct 13th 2015
that awkward moment when your LBS closes w/o warning...
Oct 19th 2015
i'm on the fence. Smart LBS have adapted and set up shop online
Oct 20th 2015
      i agree...
Oct 20th 2015
*Revolights*
Oct 30th 2015
I'm a pre-dawn commuter. Been using the Skyline since May
Dec 15th 2015
one word: WIND...
Nov 15th 2015
whatever happened to that glow in the dark paint
Nov 17th 2015
volvo life paint still isn't available here...
Nov 18th 2015
*CranksGiving* (11/21/15)
Nov 20th 2015

grape
Member since Mar 01st 2005
1032 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 02:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "new commute"
In response to Reply # 0

1.3 miles to the station, 15 minutes on the train and 2.1 miles to work...not bad.

//

weather

poncho, fenders, full chaincase all helped me stay dry last fall/winter; this year i'm thinking about adding some goggles (?).

//
want:

pashley sovereign
http://i.imgur.com/zKXmNGF.jpg

&

bella ciao ingegnere
http://i.imgur.com/49YhFId.jpg

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 07:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "wait... why aren't you biking the entire route?.."
In response to Reply # 1

grape
1032 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 04:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "10.4 miles + 94 degrees + singlespeed = musty"
In response to Reply # 2

and i ride in my work clothes, and i really don't feel like changing or wearing special gear, etc etc.

but...my coworker lives near me and bikes the entire way, so were making plans to go one morning.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 10:06 AM

15. "details make the difference..."
In response to Reply # 8

..its certainly understandable to recognize that cycling to work is much different leisure riding (esp with soaring temps).

still, its far from impossible and much more manageable than most would think. wearing the right gear will help (along with carrying a few items in a small pack).

Oakley
Charter member
7746 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 08:29 AM

3. "is there anything i need to consider/worry about"
In response to Reply # 0

if I want to put a wider tire on back than on front?
If I have 700x28 tires now, i wouldn't need a new rim to do 700x38 on the back would I?

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 12:48 PM

4. "things to consider..."
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Sep-28-15 08:16 PM by CyrenYoung

..most cyclist run wider rear tires for comfort & traction, but its highly debatable whether that impact is significant with road bikes.

i'd consult your LBS before making the final decision.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
37263 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 06:25 AM

5. "I run wider on the rear for the past year....."
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Sep-29-15 06:26 AM by FLUIDJ

No issues at all.

Once I put my front disc fork on, i'll have match, but until then, i'm rocking it this way.

Verify the sizes of tire that your rim can accommodate. Do you know the brand & model of your rim?

"Get ready..for your blessing..."

Oakley
Charter member
7746 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 03:36 PM

6. "it's an OEM cannondale rim"
In response to Reply # 5

i'll have to look at it and see.

FLUIDJ
37263 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 07:50 PM

7. "I just saw you're trying to run 700x38 rear...that's kinda large..."
In response to Reply # 6

if you have typical narrow road wheels....that might be a tad too thick to seat properly in the rim. Def. take to your LBS like Cyren suggested.

grape
1032 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 05:03 AM

9. "i have 700 x 38 on the rear (bontrager h2 hard-case ultimate)"
In response to Reply # 3

the bike shop changed it this past saturday.

it was recommended because replacing my rear tire is a pain in the a** and requires a ton of time & patience(c)lbs

i haven't noticed a change in my riding experience.

FLUIDJ
37263 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:33 AM

10. "got a pic of what that looks like? If my skinny rims can handle it,"
In response to Reply # 9

I'd entertain stepping up to that for winter riding.

grape
1032 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:58 PM

11. "i still have a flip phone :| :/"
In response to Reply # 10

http://imgur.com/a/8KWei

this would probably look better on a sportier bike, but i'm not complaining; kinda makes me want to change the front tire now...just because.

FLUIDJ
37263 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 09:08 AM

12. "lol. Flip Phones are the new Record Players..looks like it fits"
In response to Reply # 11

fine to me. If it's holding air, go for it!

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 04:07 PM

24. "not bad..."
In response to Reply # 11

..looks like a very tight fit.

still curious about how well the tire holds pressure on that rim, but if it fits without issue?

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit © clay davis.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 09:55 AM

13. "*Fat Guy Cycling Across America (LINK)*"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-16-15 04:09 PM by CyrenYoung

..just missed him in nyc last week.

our crew (BBC) is currently working on ways we can help encourage & support his efforts. posting this to help bring attention to his cause, and possibly encourage others to get their lives in gear.

link to his feature (USA Today):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/30/fat-guy-cycle-cross-country-ride/30876387/

link to his blog:

http://www.fatguyacrossamerica.com/home-shift/#intro

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 09:59 AM

14. "*full swipe* (USA Today story)..."
In response to Reply # 13

'Fat Guy' cycling across USA to save marriage
USA TODAY NETWORK Marc Cugnon, USA TODAY Network 11:18 a.m. EDT July 30, 2015
Eric Hites1
(Photo: Eric Hites)

When Indiana-native Eric Hites hopped on his bike, he weighed 563 lbs. About 40 days later and 50 pounds lost, he's still riding.

Inspired by the Proclaimers' 1988 hit "500 Miles," Hites embarked on a cross-country bike trip, in mid-June, to save his marriage.

Hites' wife, Angie, once a widow, wasn't willing to go through tragedy twice and with that in mind, Eric challenged himself to a journey of self-betterment.

"My wife and I separated because I had problems finding work, and I was going downhill emotionally," Hites said. "My wife was a widow before and she didn't want to go down that road again. The weight was what caused a lot of my problems. I wanted to prove to her that I can take my health back and be able to grow old to her. I wanted to build a new future for us."

Hites' first steps toward that new future for his family began near Martha's Vineyard south of Cape Cod in Mass., where he kicked off the ride that has grown from one man's personal project to story that has inspired many.

Hites' blog "Fat Guy across America" began as a simple journal, designed for his friends and family as a means to keep up with him.

That little blog has grown as readers throughout the country are keeping up with Eric and sending him messages of encouragement.

However, long before "Fat Guy across America," had garnered any real attention, the first goal of Eric's journey was accomplished: Angie took him back.

"At first I had thought he lost his mind," Angie said. "I tried to get him to come home, but he had already inspired so many people. The one thing that blew my mind was this getting so big. I was very concerned when he started and I was worried about the actions of other people. I was worried about what kind of reaction he would get. Everyone has been so kind, and they're treating him with dignity and respect. It restored my faith in the human race."

As his journey heads west, more riders are planning on taking part in his trip and offering him support. Additionally, Angie, who is training to ride alongside him, now plans on doing the bulk of the journey, too.

Hites' trailer, which he pulls behind his bike, stores food. (Photo: Eric Hites)

"When it comes to fitness, this is something very new for us, and a step we've never taken before. I wouldn't go back now for anything. I don't encourage anyone to jump off the couch and start riding across America, but this is something that's attainable. I am sore, but it feels good at the same time."

While Hites has battled bouts of exhaustion and sleep deprivation throughout the journey, his goal has not changed. He still wants to reach the West Coast and put his feet in the water of the Pacific Ocean.

Now in Newport, R.I., Hites will continue on throughout the Northeast, ultimately biking across New York and Connecticut. Eric is perhaps most thankful for the impact his cycling journey has had on his marriage.

"This has totally strengthened our relationship. It's changing our future," Hites added.

Dstl1
Charter member
40355 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 02:55 PM

16. "damn, I'd love to do something...even just ride with him for a few miles..."
In response to Reply # 13

wish his route was mapped out.

Bomani's Top 5 Cam'isms
you know, we gotta keep movin the pendulum forward
hindsights always 50/50
we not gonna let the cat out of the hat
this hiatus that we're on, no one in that locker room wants to come down from
the monotonism of life can get old

Dstl1
Charter member
40355 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 03:08 PM

17. "okay, I see that you can donate..."
In response to Reply # 16

I'll def be following his blog.

Bomani's Top 5 Cam'isms
hindsights always 50/50

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Fri Oct-09-15 10:08 AM

18. "yeah, his blog is the best way to track him and his progress..."
In response to Reply # 17

..like you, as soon as i heard about this story i wanted to organize a crew of cyclist to ride out with him through nyc.

unfortunately, he had just left the area. we're making a group donation and possibly organizing an event to raise more $$$ for his cause.

Dstl1
Charter member
40355 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 05:04 PM

19. "Yall ride this weekend? Weather in the Lou was amazing..."
In response to Reply # 0

between 70 and 80 both days. Yesterday I rode out with plans to just kinda freestyle and see where I ended up. I rode down a major street outside my subdivision and ended up at a stoplight with a group of about 6 cyclist. They were all wearing the same kit, so I assumed they were part of a club. I asked if they would mind if I hopped on their wheel and they said go for it. Rode with them for about 15 miles at a nice clip, then I broke off and doubled back to the crib. So, I ended up doing about 42 miles. This morning, it was a little chilly, so I threw on my base layer top and did a slow paced recovery ride of about 10 miles. Came back and got things ready for football watching. GREAT weather weekend.

Bomani's Top 5 Cam'isms
hindsights always 50/50

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 11:36 AM

22. "you're right, the weather has been amazing for the start of autumn..."
In response to Reply # 19
Tue Oct-13-15 11:42 AM by CyrenYoung

..went on a few leisure rides last week/wkd (outside of my daily commute).

looking forward to heading upstate this wkd to enjoy the orchard harvest and some beautiful winding roads in new paltz, ny with my crew.

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
751 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 09:24 PM

20. "Can anyone recommend some lights?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ive gone for the occasional night ride recently and love the feeling of riding at night. It didnt take long to realize that lights are definitely needed in order to be noticed by others. I mostly ride on side streets and bike paths and stay away from streets with a lot of traffic. Do you guys have any recommendations for bike lights? I want something that is reasonably priced, LED, and rechargeable. Their main function would be to make me noticeable to others but I want something that is strong enough to make it easier to see on paths or streets with no street lights. I was looking at these in a store but havent pulled the trigger yet:

http://www.keswickbikes.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=13707

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 11:30 AM

21. "you're already on the right track..."
In response to Reply # 20
Tue Oct-13-15 12:38 PM by CyrenYoung

..while most LBS have a small assortment of accessories/gear, the best buys are usually found online.

you can typically find affordable lights that will ensure that you're easily visible in all traffic (heavy or light). front blinders are a bit more expensive, but provide much better visibility for cyclist when traversing areas with little/no light available.

i'm currently rocking knog & cateye.

*i prefer usb rechargeable/removeable/water resistant lights. anything less is uncivilized © sir charles.

FLUIDJ
37263 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 12:32 PM

23. "Cygolite is a great brand. I've used them exclusively for the past 5 yea..."
In response to Reply # 20
Tue Oct-13-15 12:32 PM by FLUIDJ

One of mine died and it was out of warranty....they replaced it anyway! Good company, great products. Can't recommend them enough.

This is a great model and one I use almost daily (depending on which bike i'm on...I have an older model on my other commuting bike):

http://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Expilion-Light-Helmet-Mount/dp/B00LXTOPNU/ref=sr_1_1/175-7501675-9731036?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1444757424&sr=1-1&keywords=cygolite

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 09:37 AM

25. "that awkward moment when your LBS closes w/o warning..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-19-15 12:42 PM by CyrenYoung

..for good

a couple of weeks ago i hit a landmine (pothole) on a nite ride with my crew. made a quick change to my spare (friends don't let friends ride naked) and continued without missing a beat. the next day, i stopped by my LBS to replace the spare, only to find them closed 2 hrs earlier than usual.

strange, but perhaps they had an emergency/issue and needed to close up early. the next day, i returned even earlier (lunch) and they were closed. i tried calling the owner a few times later that week with no answer. within a week, there was an "available for rent" sign posted on the security gate.

*cue swan song*

i know that times are tough and competition is crazy with so many people buying gear/supplies online, but damn. its actually one of the reasons why i make a point to stop into my LBS a few times each month (that and the fact that i generally like the owner & the employees). we'd chop it up about recent advances in gear, planned upgrades, etc. so it was a bit of shock that they never mentioned that they might be/were closing.

kinda sucks that i have to start all over again with another shop.

FLUIDJ
37263 posts
Tue Oct-20-15 05:26 AM

26. "i'm on the fence. Smart LBS have adapted and set up shop online"
In response to Reply # 25

and approach from both sides. Some of the best online resources have a strong LBS presence, such as TreeFort Bikes, Harris Cyclery, etc...

It's very true that you can get similar pricing in the LBS...but it can be like pulling teeth. Also very frustrating that they only get gear from the central supply suppository (Quality Bike Parts) once/week which means you have to wait what's becoming a dumb long time for orders in the age of Amazon and overnight shipping.

I dunno...
I support mine by getting shop work done.... but it's rare that i'd buy any product from them unless it's something like tubes. I did buy my Surly disc fork from my LBS, but Surly is a QBP outfit so the pricing is generally the same no matter where you buy their stuff.

It would suck if one of mine closed though...

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Tue Oct-20-15 08:18 AM

27. "i agree..."
In response to Reply # 26

..and unfortunately, my former LBS owner didn't see it that way.

i'd often make suggestions about how they could continue to build their brand online (and locally), but he simply wasn't interested.

granted, there are new shops popping up all over brooklyn, but there's nothing like having a shop that knows you & your preferences. my mechanic was an ace and truly understood my perspective on cycling.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Fri Oct-30-15 12:59 PM

28. "*Revolights*"
In response to Reply # 0

..i've been keeping my eye on this particular brand for a minute, hoping they'd continue to improve on their initial design and they have.

i finally stumbled upon someone using this system (the Skyline) on the road (Manhattan). admittedly, the system certainly stands out in traffic. spoke to the owner and he said he's had minimal issues (brake clearance on the front rim), but he's satisfied overall.

the latest version (the Eclipse) is bluetooth/wireless. they've also incorporated a speed sensitive brake light and full rim turn signal that's pretty impressive.

pros:

• 360º visibility
• speed sensitive brake light
• complete rim turn signal

cons:

• rim/brake clearance
• altered profile
• pricy

whatSAYyou?..

http://revolights.com/

nonaime
Charter member
2752 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 04:05 AM

33. "I'm a pre-dawn commuter. Been using the Skyline since May"
In response to Reply # 28

When I'm biking on the streets, I feel like I'm definitely seen. They've held up pretty well. I have a ~30 minute commute and the batteries will last around 3-4 days.

My only gripe is that it can be a pain to get the battery out to charge it. The consequence of that (at least for me) is that I've caused the zip ties, that attach the pack to the hub, to loosen; this causes the wires going from the battery pack to the lights to not be as taut and they end up whacking things as the wheel spins.

I'm gonna tighten things up when I stash the bike for winter (I'm a noob...stumbled here to see what folks did for winter riding).

The Skyline model will pulse the rear lights as you slow down, but it looks like Eclipse adds the ability do have a turn signal, which seems neat.

At the very least, I will say, they do spark curiosity...

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Sun Nov-15-15 10:04 AM

29. "one word: WIND..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Nov-15-15 10:09 AM by CyrenYoung

..group ride through bk, manhattan, & jersey.

the entire ride, it felt like the wind kept screamin' at me:

wind: YOU. SHALL. NOT. PASS! © gandalf
me: fuck yo fort! © jody

deep v rims are NOT an advantage when the wind whipping over the gwb decides to have its way with you. battled through that en route to some of the best pancakes in nj.

*a message to people who ride bikes like a couple holding hands on a date: FUCK YOU.

aside from the typical annoyance you experience on city streets, it was a beautiful day for a group ride.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
41510 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 11:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "whatever happened to that glow in the dark paint"
In response to Reply # 0

---
Supercutz

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Wed Nov-18-15 09:41 AM

31. "volvo life paint still isn't available here..."
In response to Reply # 30

..and the U.S. won't allow delivery (not sure why).

in the meantime, albedo 100 (the company they teamed with) has a few alternatives available:

https://albedo100us.com/product-info/

they aren't the same as volvo life paint, but still effective.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
30531 posts
Fri Nov-20-15 12:10 PM

32. "*CranksGiving* (11/21/15)"
In response to Reply # 0

..with thanksgiving quickly approaching, what better way to celebrate the spirit of the season by helping provide for those that might be less fortunate?

CranksGiving is an annual food drive on wheels. part bike ride, part food drive, part scavenger hunt. all you need to participate is your bike, a bag, a lock, and about $20. *please check your local listings to find more info about Cranksgiving events in your area.

my crew will be out in full force for this one. all NYC proceeds will benefit City Harvest and The Bowery Mission.

http://www.cranksgiving.org/

Lobby Organix topic #1384 Previous topic | Next topic