Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #3992

Subject: "Jay Love Japan album release in LA - May 11 - anyone go?" Previous topic | Next topic
rons1ne
Member since Nov 02nd 2004
1554 posts
Fri May-12-06 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jay Love Japan album release in LA - May 11 - anyone go?"

http://fusicology.com/events/v3_index.cfm?rid=2&id=3068

slum did a set. i didn't go but wanted to see who did.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Jay Love Japan album release in LA - May 11 - anyone go?
May 12th 2006
Elovee
May 15th 2006
May 15th 2006
so what is this album supposed to be?
May 13th 2006
its an EP worth of new tracks with him & guests singing/rapping
May 16th 2006
      RE: when does it drop?
May 17th 2006
           i still can't find a release date anywhere. n/m
May 17th 2006

F O C U S
Charter member
1123 posts
Fri May-12-06 04:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Jay Love Japan album release in LA - May 11 - anyone go?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-12-06 04:42 PM by F O C U S

It was a pretty good show. I'm not so much a fan of SV, I'm more a fan of Dilla's production, but it was a good show for the $10. There was a local group that performed before Slum went on, didn't catch their name, but they were dope. I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Slum only did like five songs, but it was a $10 dollar cover in Hollywood, so I didn't expect much. They covered the few SV songs that I really like, like "Fall In Love", "Thelonius" "Raise It Up" and an acapella version of "2u4u"

I didn't get there until 11:30, performances started at 12:00 so I only got to hear about 30 minutes of the deejay spinning Dilla beats, which is really why i wanted to go, but all in all it was a good show with a good crowd.

Mrs Yancey was there and everyone showed her love. The only beef I had was with the wack ass comedian they had hosting the show(remeber the guy from diddy's comedy show who kept talking about doo-doo, that one). He was wack to start and then he was stupid drunk and that just made it even worse. And he kept going on & on about collections for Dilla's $266,000 in medical bills which was kinda off putting.

I rarely go out these days, but I'm glad I caught this show.

It’s a form of meditation. It puts me in that consciousness state where I need to be. Because it’s an evil world out there, a very evil world. You gotta get past all that shit. Music keeps your soul good (C) Oh No

Elovee

Mon May-15-06 01:50 PM

3. "RE: Jay Love Japan album release in LA - May 11 - anyone go?"
In response to Reply # 1

the "wack" comedian you mentioned is Bobo Liam, Dillas brother in law. Thats why he mentioned all the things he mentioned and why he was so emotional (not just drunk as you thought).
The performances went like this:

Pacific Division went up first and did a few cuts.
then Ta'Raach (fka Lacks)went up next with Blu (SIC/OX) and Miguel (Universal) and did a set. Ta'Raach did his song "Say It" from the Jay Love Japan Album, then he and Blu did "Shake" from their collaborative album "C.R.A.C. KNUCKLES : Piece Talks", then Blu did a solo cut of Jay Love Japan and his collab cut off the album with Miguel. Overall it was a dope set. Blu and Miguels song had the whole audience feelin it real hard.
next Slum got up and did some classic shit. It was pretty cool. The crowd was pretty live. By the end of their set they started doing new shit and people started losing interest, but overall it was dope.

MaDukes came down from upstairs where she had been watching the show with the family and friends (among them, Rhettmatic, Karriem Riggins, Tim Maynor, etc) and addressed the crowd. The whole crowd put "L"'s in the air and Ms.Yancey had us all saying "1luv2u" with our hands held high. Hope moment.

Anyway, thats the jist of the night.

F O C U S
Charter member
1123 posts
Mon May-15-06 09:14 PM

4. "RE: Jay Love Japan album release in LA - May 11 - anyone go?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Pacific Division went up first and did a few cuts.
>then Ta'Raach (fka Lacks)went up next with Blu (SIC/OX) and
>Miguel (Universal) and did a set. Ta'Raach did his song "Say
>It" from the Jay Love Japan Album, then he and Blu did "Shake"
>from their collaborative album "C.R.A.C. KNUCKLES : Piece
>Talks", then Blu did a solo cut of Jay Love Japan and his
>collab cut off the album with Miguel. Overall it was a dope
>set. Blu and Miguels song had the whole audience feelin it
>real hard.
>next Slum got up and did some classic shit. It was pretty
>cool. The crowd was pretty live. By the end of their set
>they started doing new shit and people started losing
>interest, but overall it was dope.

Thanks for that. Ta'Raach and the kid Blu are the two I was talking about...incredibly dope 'specially the kid Blu. I'll definitely check for their ish.

>the "wack" comedian you mentioned is Bobo Liam, Dillas
>brother in law. Thats why he mentioned all the things he
>mentioned and why he was so emotional (not just drunk as you
>thought).
>The performances went like this:
>
>
I can understand mourning family, but sloppy is sloppy, not as I thought, but as he was.

It’s a form of meditation. It puts me in that consciousness state where I need to be. Because it’s an evil world out there, a very evil world. You gotta get past all that shit. Music keeps your soul good (C) Oh No

buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Sat May-13-06 07:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "so what is this album supposed to be?"
In response to Reply # 0

is it instrumentals like donuts
or beats made from him buyin' records from japan?
what?

...a child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind, god is smilin' on you and frownin' too, because only god knows what you gonna do...©melle mel

INKtheZionCrewRep
Member since Jun 27th 2002
14916 posts
Tue May-16-06 04:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "its an EP worth of new tracks with him & guests singing/rapping"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue May-16-06 04:05 AM by INKtheZionCrewRep

plus the instrumentals of all the songs
and a DVD or enhanced CD with music videos for each one

and it was originally gonna be a Japan-only release
but hopefully thats not the case anymore

here's the blurb on Dilla.biz site about it:

"JAY LOVE JAPAN"
Throughout the years, Jay Dilla has solidified himself as one of the most innovative producers and continues to touch many people from all angles of culture. This season he reaches out to Japan with his project entitled "Jay Love Japan". This ode to 05, wraps up the year and represents the momentum that Hip Hop will have behind it as we enter 2006. He sets off JLJ with "Cant You See", a cinematic declration about his passion for the block. Dilla then re-connects with cross city native Taraach, displayin once again how them Mo-Town Boys get down. Along with Dj Exile, the 3 combine to shine on "Say It", a certified stone cold dish served raw. From Detroit to Tokyo, Dilla blesses yall with "In the Streets" , an alley way anthem with don-diva like vocals by Truth Hurts. As the eras of Hip Hop change and develop, Dilla always seems to be at the forefront of the movement, reinventing himself and at the same time introducing new artists to the world. On "Victory" Dilla defines triumph and shares crowns with 19 year old male vocalist Jontelle and generation x mc, Blu. They speak a message of finding an escape out of the struggle through a love called music, the ups and downs of the industry, and the future of music through the eyes of history.

Kenny Fresh
www.Bling47.com

(by the way, my screenname's lame.)

auhlixer999
Member since Jan 24th 2004
3003 posts
Wed May-17-06 06:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: when does it drop?"
In response to Reply # 5

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
R.i.p. James Dilla Yancey
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

INKtheZionCrewRep
Member since Jun 27th 2002
14916 posts
Wed May-17-06 02:39 PM

7. "i still can't find a release date anywhere. n/m"
In response to Reply # 6

Kenny Fresh
www.Bling47.com

(by the way, my screenname's lame.)

Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #3992 Previous topic | Next topic