Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #49550

Subject: "My album is out – now what?" Previous topic | Next topic
biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My album is out – now what?"

My album "Common Denominator" is out now and up on both iTunes and Google Play. Spotify and others to come via Distrokid.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/common-denominator/id1132912968?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Geith_Common_Denominator?id=Bhvzygfddrk44yqx3y6njby3l7q

This was kind of a casual release of tracks I've assembled over time. Some more polished than others.

What do you guys recommend for promotion? I'm not obsessed with trying to sell a lot, just some. Would be nice to get it out there, but it's not a monumental mission for me.

Thoughts? Feel free to drop critique here as well if you care to.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Promote...promote...promote.
Nov 16th 2016

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Wed Nov-16-16 09:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Promote...promote...promote."
In response to Reply # 0

Bottom line, you have to promote your release. Don't rely on your friends to buy it. They'll SAY they will, but they won't.

Take out an ad ( if you can afford it ) in your local 'zine.
Make some stickers and post them up around town.
Tell any, and everybody you know that you have a release out.
Build yourself a Discogs page, and keep it up to date.

Most importantly, DON'T believe the hype about giving your music away for free. It doesn't help you. If you want, you can hit off a few DJ's that you've built personal relationships with, but don't send blasts out. Nobody responds to them, and you've basically cheapened your own product. The whole "it'll bring you exposure" thing is a lie. People will NEVER buy your material if they get used to getting it for free.

Good luck.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Make The Music topic #49550 Previous topic | Next topic