Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #49266

Subject: "Recommendations on monitor speakers?" Previous topic | Next topic
nocturnal
Charter member
1679 posts
Sat Mar-29-14 10:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Recommendations on monitor speakers?"

Peace everybody. I last bought a pair of monitor speakers in 1998 for about $150 each. They were Alesis M1s, and they have served me real well over the past 16 years. In retrospect, a great investment --- I had no idea they would last nearly that long. They degraded a bit over time and got kind of bassy, but generally the sound quality remained really nice.

Last weekend, after a DJ'ing gig, they finally bit the dust. I probably shouldn't have been DJ'ing with them, but I'm living in Mexico now, and they were all I had to use. At least they didn't self-destruct until after the set was done.

I am looking to invest in a new pair --- not necessarily the M1s, or even Alesis --- and am looking for some recommendations about what folks here use. If you have any brand that has served you well, I would appreciate any leads. I'm looking for solid sound quality, not overly $$$, and that's pretty much it. Also, no plans to DJ with this new pain --- lesson learned.

(And on that note, side question for those who produce and DJ --- do you typically have a pair of monitors for the studio, and then a second pair of speakers you DJ with when you need to bring your own gear to a gig? If so, I would be curious what some good brands for DJ speakers are.)

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

https://soundcloud.com/djplainview

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Make The Music topic #49266 Previous topic | Next topic