Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #31254

Subject: " Adding vocals to remix ( in ableton) - I'm soggy like cornflakes" Previous topic | Next topic
all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Wed Oct-17-07 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" Adding vocals to remix ( in ableton) - I'm soggy like cornflakes"

I can do everything thing else with understanding and "know how", but when it comes to adding vocals to music that I have put together, the kid is chef doo-doo.

I dont know, I get the original song, line it up with the vocals, and warp as much as possible, but the shit just does not stay consistent. It is the most irritating thing.

For those of you that produce with ableton, what are some of your tricks and techniques when it comes to adding vocals to remixes?.....

I tell ableton to warp to the tempo of my beat. It does that, but the warping is not in sync. When there is no beat(or some kind of percussion), ableton does not warp correctly to a 4/4 time signature.Even when I put the vocal clip on complex, ableton still does not recognize it. I take it that in order for me to do this in ableton, Im going to have to manually warp each bar,and that shit could take up to 1000 blunts smoked ( forever) to complete.

I have to master this to be complete. The shit is driving me crazy.I got a dope beat that I would like to add to the Root's Marathon Man song, but after the first couple of bars, black thought's lyrics fall way the fuck off. Shit is disgusting, and pisses me off. As a music maker, weakness is not an option,...I'm mad as shit right now.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'd be kind of surprised if them cats didn't click-track, though.
Oct 17th 2007
RE: I'd be kind of surprised if them cats didn't click-track, though.
Oct 17th 2007
have you tried warping to the original beat?
Oct 17th 2007
RE: have you tried warping to the original beat?
Oct 17th 2007
      word... another trick that has worked a couple times is...
Oct 17th 2007
well, what i've always done in hardware or software
Oct 18th 2007
RE: well, what i've always done in hardware or software
Oct 18th 2007
RE: Adding vocals to remix ( in ableton) - I'm soggy like cornflakes
Oct 20th 2007

Soon
Member since Jul 02nd 2007
17996 posts
Wed Oct-17-07 01:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'd be kind of surprised if them cats didn't click-track, though."
In response to Reply # 0

?uest is rock-solid, but the human element's always going to be there when freeballing...and click-tracking is mostly status quo these days anyway.

So now, are you matching Ableton's master tempo to the original cut for reference? And it sounds like you want to run the remix at a different tempo from the original. I haven't incorporated that approach, but they got the tools.

If they freeballed it, then yeah you're gonna be changing the warp every few bars. I had to deal with that shit when recreating a cut for a singer, the original had been done by some dude with no sense of tempo. Luckily the cut was kind of short, or I woulda firebombed someone's house.

http://twitter.com/RSoon
http://soonsounds.com <--- Peace for the Fiery Heart
https://soundcloud.com/marianmereba/blue-for-mr-green-real-soon

all stah
23470 posts
Wed Oct-17-07 02:29 PM

3. "RE: I'd be kind of surprised if them cats didn't click-track, though."
In response to Reply # 1

yes, im trying to run the remix at a different tempo, but that should not be an issue, because I can take the original ( the one with music to it) and match it to my beat, and everything is butter. The a capella should work in the same sense, no?

Yeah, that song is definitely not to tempo, not at all.

my beat is 97 bpms, I think the track is slightly slower, but I dont get any chipmunk vocals or anything like that. Its just not on beat.

This is my Achilles heel...and every beat maker or producer hates not being able to do something that they (1) have to do (2) want to do, and (3) should be able to do.

Im going to hit the ableton form.Those cats know their shit, because most of them are from overseas and rock ableton like underwear. I post here from time to time, because I know you know your shit and work with ableton. Plus, this board is very underrated. I hope it stays like this, a good no snark forum.

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Wed Oct-17-07 02:24 PM

2. "have you tried warping to the original beat?"
In response to Reply # 0

like pulling in the original song and the acapella.. warping the acapella to the original.. then replacing the original with your beat?

in theory you should be able to change the temp then and stay on beat

i say in theory cuz im shitty with warping in general

good luck

www.dumhi.com

all stah
23470 posts
Wed Oct-17-07 02:37 PM

4. "RE: have you tried warping to the original beat?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Oct-17-07 02:37 PM by all stah

hmm....But the only problem is ableton is blind as fuck when it comes to warping without a beat. It will put it in the tempo that you want, but off beat.

Im going to have to warp that shit bar by bar, fucking 1/4 of bar and shit

I wish I still had serato. I would throw the acapella on a turntable and then match it perfectly by recording it into ableton while my beat is playing ..old achool trick ..

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Wed Oct-17-07 02:48 PM

5. "word... another trick that has worked a couple times is..."
In response to Reply # 4

to import the acapella into ableton

set the tempo to the desired tempo of your remix

record it

export it

then reimport it into the remix workbook

i do this sometime when im sampling something

let ableton try to lock everything down at 103 bpms lets say.. then i export it and when i reimport it i can theoretically cut any bar and it will loop

make any sense?

ive done this with acapellas before with varying success

but again.. most times i put an acapella on a beat it doesnt match anyway

www.dumhi.com

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Thu Oct-18-07 12:20 AM

6. "well, what i've always done in hardware or software"
In response to Reply # 0

is split the acapella up...like make each verse it's own clip, and the hook it's own clip.

MUCH easier to manage that way.

Man, you ever try to do a jay-z remix? That dude has no sense of rhythm at all sometimes

all stah
23470 posts
Thu Oct-18-07 01:33 AM

7. "RE: well, what i've always done in hardware or software"
In response to Reply # 6

That makes sense, true indeed....

Much appreciation to you guys for looking out..

Malaki the Most Hi
Member since Oct 20th 2007
11 posts
Sat Oct-20-07 01:35 AM

8. "RE: Adding vocals to remix ( in ableton) - I'm soggy like cornflakes"
In response to Reply # 0

first of all find the tempo of the original joint and the tempo of your joint... make sure nothings warped to begin with, then its all trial and error, thats when your dj skills come in.

Lobby Make The Music topic #31254 Previous topic | Next topic