Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #113586

Subject: "The Seventh Annual Spilled Latte Award WINNERS!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Sat Mar-01-14 02:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Seventh Annual Spilled Latte Award WINNERS!"
Tue Mar-04-14 03:07 AM by Frank Longo

Behold, the result of PTP's own annual film awards, the Spilled Lattes!

For Best Original Score:
In 5th place, Shane Carruth for Upstream Color.
In 4th place, Mike Patton for The Place Beyond the Pines.
In 3rd place, Cliff Martinez and Skrillex for Spring Breakers.
In 2nd place, Arcade Fire for Her.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Original Score... Steven Price for Gravity!

This marks the second time in four years that the Best Original Score Latte winner lines up with the Oscars. Previously, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won both for The Social Network.

For Best Cinematography:
In 5th place, Bruno Delbonnel for Inside Llewyn Davis.
In 4th place, Philippe Le Sourd for The Grandmaster.
In 3rd place, Roger Deakins for Prisoners.
In 2nd place, Emmanuel Lubezki for Gravity.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Cinematography... Sean Bobbitt for 12 Years a Slave!

This marks only the second time that the winner of the Best Cinematography Spilled Latte was not nominated for the Oscar as well. Previously, Lance Acord won for Where The Wild Things Are.

For Best Original Screenplay:
In 5th place, Ryan Coogler for Fruitvale Station.
Tied for 3rd place, Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig for Frances Ha, and the Coen Brothers for Inside Llewyn Davis.
In 2nd place, Bob Nelson for Nebraska.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Original Screenplay... Spike Jonze for Her!

This is Jonze's first Latte victory in four nominations. It's also the second time the Oscar winner also won the Latte, the last time being Dustin Lance Black's victory for Milk.

For Best Adapted Screenplay:
In 5th place, Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber for The Spectacular Now.
In 4th place, Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy for Before Midnight.
In 3rd place, Billy Ray for Captain Phillips.
In 2nd place, John Ridley for 12 Years a Slave.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Adapted Screenplay... Terence Winter for The Wolf of Wall Street!

For Best Supporting Actress:
Tied in 4th place, Melonie Diaz for Fruitvale Station, Octavia Spencer for Fruitvale Station, and Shailene Woodley for The Spectacular Now.
Tied for 2nd place, Scarlett Johansson for Her and June Squibb for Nebraska.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Supporting Actress... Lupita Nyong'o for 12 Years a Slave!

Winning by 39 points, Nyong'o boasts the largest margin of victory for an actress in Latte history. It's also the third time in Latte history the supporting actress has won both the Oscar and the Latte, previously giving both to Melissa Leo for The Fighter and Mo'Nique for Precious.

For Best Supporting Actor:
In 5th place, Matthew McConaughey for Mud.
In 4th place, Jared Leto for Dallas Buyers Club.
In 3rd place, James Franco for Spring Breakers.
In 2nd place, Michael Fassbender for 12 Years a Slave.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Supporting Actor... Barkhad Abdi for Captain Phillips!

This marks the first time both supporting Lattes went to actors in their feature debuts. After the first FIVE Latte awards for Best Supporting Actor went to the Oscar winner (Javier Bardem, Heath Ledger, Christoph Waltz, Christian Bale, and Christopher Plummer), this is the second year in a row a non-winner emerges with the Latte. Last year, it went to Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln.

For Best Actress:
In 5th place, Amy Adams for American Hustle.
In 4th place, Brie Larson for Short Term 12.
In 3rd place, Adele Excharopoulos for Blue is the Warmest Color.
In 2nd place, Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Actress... Sandra Bullock for Gravity!

This is Bullock's first Latte. Interestingly, the winner of the Best Actress Latte has never won the Oscar.

For Best Actor:
In 5th place, Joaquin Phoenix for Her.
In 4th place, Michael B. Jordan for Fruitvale Station.
In 3rd place, Tom Hanks for Captain Phillips.
In 2nd place, Leonardo DiCaprio for The Wolf of Wall Street.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Actor... Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 Years a Slave!

This is the second time in three years that the lead actor in a Steve McQueen film has emerged with the Best Actor Latte. Only twice has the winner of the Best Actor Latte also won the Oscar-- and both times it's been Daniel Day-Lewis.

For Best Director:
Tied for 5th place, Paul Greengrass for Captain Phillips and the Coen Brothers for Inside Llewyn Davis.
In 4th place, Spike Jonze for Her.
In 3rd place, Martin Scorsese for The Wolf of Wall Street.
In 2nd place, Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Director... Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity!

This is the first time in Latte history that the Best Director Latte has gone to the Best Director Oscar winner; four of the six previous years, the winner wasn't even Oscar-nominated.

Now, the moment we've all been waiting for...

For Best Picture:
Tied for 9th place, The Act of Killing and Nebraska.
In 8th place, Spring Breakers.
In 7th place, Captain Phillips.
In 6th place, Fruitvale Station.
In 5th place, Inside Llewyn Davis.
In 4th place, Gravity.
In 3rd place, Her.
In 2nd place, The Wolf of Wall Street.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Picture... 12 Years a Slave!

This also marks the first time the Best Picture Latte winner and Best Picture Oscar winner lined up in Latte history.

Five of the ten Latte winners also won Oscars. What does this mean? It's left to you to decide. 12 Years a Slave led the way with four Lattes (more than it won in the whole Oscars!). Gravity followed up with three Lattes, while Her, Captain Phillips, and The Wolf of Wall Street each won one a piece.

Thanks to everyone who voted. It is sincerely appreciated. Looking forward to another year debating with you all in PTP!

ORIGINAL POST:

Here are the nominees (a.k.a. the Top 5 votegetters) for the Seventh Annual Spilled Latte Awards. Note: some categories may have more than 5 nominees due to a tie in the amount of votes the nominees received. The results are in-- no need to vote on these-- and will be announced the day after the Oscars, in order to steal their shine.

12 Years a Slave leads the way with seven nominations, tying No Country For Old Men, Drive, and The Master for the second highest number of noms for a single film in Spilled Lattes history.

Her follows closely behind with six nominations. Captain Phillips, Fruitvale Station, and Gravity each earned five nominations.

BEST PICTURE:

The Act of Killing
Captain Phillips
Fruitvale Station
Gravity
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska
Spring Breakers
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street

BEST ACTOR:

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips
Michael B. Jordan, Fruitvale Station
Joaquin Phoenix, Her

BEST ACTRESS:

Amy Adams, American Hustle
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock, Gravity
Adele Excharopoulos, Blue is the Warmest Color
Brie Larson, Short Term 12

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
James Franco, Spring Breakers
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
Matthew McConaughey, Mud

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Melonie Diaz, Fruitvale Station
Scarlett Johansson, Her
Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
Octavia Spencer, Fruitvale Station
June Squibb, Nebraska
Shailene Woodley, The Spectacular Now

BEST DIRECTOR:

The Coen Brothers, Inside Llewyn Davis
Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips
Spike Jonze, Her
Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
Martin Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall Street

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig, Frances Ha
The Coen Brothers, Inside Llewyn Davis
Ryan Coogler, Fruitvale Station
Spike Jonze, Her
Bob Nelson, Nebraska

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, Before Midnight
Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, The Spectacular Now
Billy Ray, Captain Phillips
John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave
Terence Winter, The Wolf of Wall Street

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

Sean Bobbitt, 12 Years a Slave
Roger Deakins, Prisoners
Bruno Delbonnel, Inside Llewyn Davis
Emmanuel Lubezki, Gravity
Philippe Le Sourd, The Grandmaster

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

Shane Carruth, Upstream Color
Arcade Fire, Her
Cliff Martinez and Skrillex, Spring Breakers
Mike Patton, The Place Beyond the Pines
Steven Price, Gravity

Some Spilled Latte nomination trivia:

- Unlike the last two years, four Best Picture Oscar nominees managed five or more Spilled Latte nominations.

- this year ties last year with the most acting nominations for African-American actors in Spilled Latte history with five.

- Adele Excharopoulos is the sixth foreign-language actor nominated for a Spilled Latte in the history of the award.

- this is the first time in Spilled Latte history a documentary was nominated for Best Picture.

- The Coen Brothers have earned seven nominations in seven years. Roger Deakins has earned six nominations in seven years.

- Amy Adams earned her fourth nomination, keeping her as the most nominated actor in Spilled Latte history.

- this is the second time Spike Jonze has pulled off two nominations in the same year. It's also the third time the Coen Brothers have achieved the same feat. They reside in the Double Nominee Club with Tom Tykwer, Benh Zeitlin, Quentin Tarantino, Casey Affleck, Jeff Nichols, Steven Zaillan, Christopher Nolan, Danny Boyle, Neill Blomkamp, Paul Thomas Anderson, Andrew Dominik, and, of course, Roger Deakins.

- This year's second time nominees: Cate Blanchett, Leonardo DiCaprio, James Franco, Emmanuel Lubezki, Cliff Martinez, Steve McQueen, Joaquin Phoenix, Octavia Spencer.

- This year's third time nominee: Michael Fassbender.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: The Seventh Annual Spilled Latte Award WINNERS!
Mar 05th 2014
these are light-years better than previous years
Mar 05th 2014
You got lucky
Mar 06th 2014
      12 years made $140 mil worldwide
Mar 07th 2014
should we do a best foreign flick category next year?
Mar 11th 2014
seems year dependent
Mar 11th 2014
I'd like to... though only four or five people would vote for it, lol.
Mar 11th 2014
Do people get to even see docs/foreign films?
Mar 11th 2014
I think if you live in or near a major metro, there's a good chance
Mar 11th 2014
      very good points
Mar 12th 2014
no
Mar 12th 2014
      1 more category makes it less accessible?
Mar 13th 2014
           are you being serious?
Mar 14th 2014
                Then those who find it inaccessible don't need to vote on it.
Mar 19th 2014
The reason for the similarities between Lattees and Oscars is...
Mar 11th 2014
Inside Llewyn Davis was inspired by the book, not based on it.
Mar 11th 2014
      oh yeah, that's right, thanks
Mar 12th 2014

notnac
Charter member
1607 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 04:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: The Seventh Annual Spilled Latte Award WINNERS!"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you for this. Great stuff!

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 02:54 PM

2. "these are light-years better than previous years"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't know if it's because so many heavy-hitters this year (12 years, gravity, WoWS, etc.) were geared to our demographic, whether the new voting system actually encouraged more participation or less vanity (since our votes are no longer all in one post, but in several for each category), or whether my incessant whining finally shamed the PTP snobs out of voting for the unsuccessful artsty-fartsy indies that typically dominate the lattes (i.e. frances ha). whatever the reason, these are the best noms and awards i can remember coming out of PTP.

major latte W's:

- we rejected the dallas buyers club oscar bait. not even a nom for alrightalrightalright, who was better in other films this year.

- one nom (a deserving amy adams) and zero chips for american hustle. nothing for fat batman, nothing for david o. russell. think the oscars also shut out hustle, which hopefully means everyone's gonna stop treating every mediocre movie russell makes like they're the second coming of dramatic cinema, instead of what they are: slightly more serious and more pretentious judd apatow flicks.

- yeah, yeah, lupita. pretty much everyone got that right, but we have a legitimate claim to getting it righter. j-law in '70s hair had been giving her a run everywhere else and even won a few, i think, which is the absolute height of ridiculousness, a complete and utter embarrassment.

- not falling into the cate blanchett groupthink that had this year's awards season in its deadly clutches. she was good. sandy was way better.

even the winners i disagree with, it's hard to take issue. these are films people here have seen and actually enjoyed. they've sparked posts filled with discussions and anticipation and praise, as opposed to previous years where we were handing out best picture noms to films where the official post had, like, 10 replies in it. these are the type of results you'd expect to see from our demographic. we can be proud of these results. congrats to everyone and pat yourselves on the back for not turning this year's lattes into the AARP art house empty theater awards.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 10:31 PM

3. "You got lucky"
In response to Reply # 2

12 years a slave was made by an "artsy fartsy" director
He is literally an artist
And three artsy fartsy actors

Who's the snob now?

Folks are hilarious in PTP
I swear
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Fri Mar-07-14 02:42 AM

4. "12 years made $140 mil worldwide"
In response to Reply # 3

in what world does that qualify as one of the "unsuccessful artsty-fartsy indies" i've been railing against? try again.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8427 posts
Tue Mar-11-14 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "should we do a best foreign flick category next year?"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess the movies I see tend to skew more foreign than the average voter here, but I'm wondering if making it a category would bring out more thoughts about some of the excellent movies made around the world.
This year had a ton of good to great ones: Like Father Like Son, The Hunt, The Great Beauty, Blue Is The Warmest Color, etc...
But if no one cares no worries I'll just keep peppering my picks with some international flavor haha

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Tue Mar-11-14 01:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "seems year dependent"
In response to Reply # 5

I think we could've done separate categories for foreign and documentaries in 2013, but not every year. the latter was particularly strong.

--------

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Tue Mar-11-14 03:40 PM

7. "I'd like to... though only four or five people would vote for it, lol."
In response to Reply # 5

I'll bring it up again next year.

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue Mar-11-14 07:07 PM

8. "Do people get to even see docs/foreign films?"
In response to Reply # 5

My experience has been that most places in the U.S. don't even get docs and foreign films.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Tue Mar-11-14 07:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I think if you live in or near a major metro, there's a good chance"
In response to Reply # 8

you get most of everything these days. it may be a few weeks (or sometimes months) later than LA and NYC, but you'll be able to see it on a big screen.

Landmark is in 18 cities and shows most of the foreign releases with US distribution, Alamo Drafthouse is starting to expand nationwide, and even Cinemark slides some of the awards circuit foreign stuff into their programming.

aside from that, the turnaround to home release is usually really quick for international film as well. Netflix gets them quickly, often streaming.

--------

benny
8427 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "very good points"
In response to Reply # 10

I guess I assume that since I can watch most major foreign releases in Houston (not exactly a hotbed of cultural choices, relative to its size) everyone else could but that's unfair.
You're right that Netflix is changing the game though, I noticed they have most of the highlights of the year: A Royal Affair, The Hunt, Blue is the Warmest Color, A Highjacking... And those have showed up pretty quickly

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 10:00 PM

14. "no"
In response to Reply # 5

thought we were trying to make latte voting more accessible and less intimidating. this is going in the opposite direction.

benny
8427 posts
Thu Mar-13-14 07:44 PM

15. "1 more category makes it less accessible?"
In response to Reply # 14

well alrighty then

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Fri Mar-14-14 07:58 PM

16. "are you being serious?"
In response to Reply # 15

do i really have to explain how a category for films with subtitles and typically indie sensibilities and that are playing almost nowhere in the united states would make things less accessible?

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 03:28 PM

17. "Then those who find it inaccessible don't need to vote on it."
In response to Reply # 16

I thought this year's category division was a pretty big success. The artsier categories (score, cinematography) were voted on by far fewer people, only those that cared. Some people voted only on best picture and the leading actors.

I don't see how adding a category that most people would simply ignore anyway would hurt the proceedings as a whole

Wordman
11224 posts
Tue Mar-11-14 07:11 PM

9. "The reason for the similarities between Lattees and Oscars is..."
In response to Reply # 0

...that there were only about a dozen films with any kind of Oscar-worthiness. With so little quality to spread around...

I also had a question, I thought INSIDE LLEWELLYN DAVIS was based on the book The Mayor Of MacDougal Street? That's what the cover of the book says.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Mar-11-14 08:31 PM

11. "Inside Llewyn Davis was inspired by the book, not based on it."
In response to Reply # 9

The difference is that the Coens didn't lift passages and direct events from the book and incorporate them into their script; and yes, the Llewyn Davis character was inspired by an existing folk singer but he's still an original creation.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Why niggas be trying to prove Internet hypotheses?

Wordman
11224 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 06:19 PM

13. "oh yeah, that's right, thanks"
In response to Reply # 11

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #113586 Previous topic | Next topic