Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #105594

Subject: "David Cross shits all over Larry The Cable Guy" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 06:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"David Cross shits all over Larry The Cable Guy"

http://www.bobanddavid.com/david.asp?artId=183

AN OPEN LETTER TO LARRY THE CABLE GUY

Hi everybody!

The following is a letter I wrote after picking up Git-R-Done - The Larry The Cable Guy Story (ghost written by Susan Sontag). I have to warn you that it's nearly 11 pages long. But I think it's chock full of life lessons for all of us and if you're not careful... you just might learn something!

An open letter to Larry The Cable Guy:

Hello Larry,

It's me, David Cross. Recently I was shooting something for my friends at "Wonder Showzen" (the funniest, most subversive comedy on American T.V. at the moment) and when we were taking a break one of the guys on the show asked me if I had seen some article in something somewhere wherein you were interviewed to promote your new book "Please-Git-R-Done" (published by Crown Books $23.95 U.S.) and they asked about your devoting a chapter to slamming me and the "P.C. Left". Since I stopped following your career shortly after you stopped going on stage wearing a tool belt with cable wrapped around your neck (around your appearance at "Laffs 'n' Food" in Enid, Oklahoma Aug 23-26 1999?) I said I wasn't aware of the article. They went on to tell me that you said basically (and I am not quoting but paraphrasing their recall) that I could kiss your ass, that I've never been to one of your shows (true) and that I didn't know your audience (untrue).

SO, I went and got your book, "Gitting-R-Donned", and excitedly skimmed past the joke about that one time you farted and something farty happened, on past the thing about the fat girl who farted and finally found it, . Well, needless to say I farted. I farted up a fartstorm right there in the Flyin' J Travel Center. I fartingly bought the book and took it home with an excitement I haven't experienced since I got Bertha Chudfarter's Grandma drunk and she took her teeth out and blew me as I was finger banging her while wearing a Jesus sock puppet in the back of the boiler room at The Church of the Redeemer off I-20 (I don't care who you are, that's funny.)

Anyhoo, I got home and read the good parts. It seems that you were pissed off at Rolling Stone magazine, and I can understand why. You made some good points in your argument as well. I agree that there is an eliteism and bias in the press and too often a writer will include asides to show the readers how smart he or she is and how "above it" they are. But come on! Surely you can't be surprised, or worse, hurt or offended by this. You even say in the book that you knew what you were getting into (Rolling Stone being all "lefty" and whatnot). Certainly I'm not surprised that they took a ten minute phone conversation with me and chose to print only the most inflammatory paragraph within it. That's what they do.

But I want to address some of the things you write about me in "Git-to-Gittin'-r-Done". In response to the Rolling Stone article, but first let me say this; you are very mistaken if you think that I don't know your audience. Hell, I could've been heckled by the parents of some of the very people that come see you now. I grew up in Roswell, Georgia (near the Funny Bone and not far from The Punch Line). The very first time I went on stage was at The Punch Line in Sandy Springs in 1982 when I was 17. I cut my teeth in the south and my first road gigs ever were in Augusta, Charleston, Baton Rouge, and Louisville. I remember them very well, specifically because of the audience. I remember thinking (occasionally, not all the time) "what a bunch of dumb redneck, easily entertained, ignorant motherfuckers. I can't believe the stupid shit they think is funny." So, yes, I do know your audience, and they suck. And they're simple. And please don't mistake this as coming from a place of bitterness because I didn't "make it" there or, I'm not as successful as you because that's not it at all. Since I was a kid I've always been a little over sensitive to the glorification and rewarding of dumb. The "salt of the earth, regular, every day folk" (or lowest common denominator) who see the world, and the people like me in it, as on some sort of secular mission to take away their flag lapels and plaster-of-paris jesus television adornments strike me as childishly paranoid. But perhaps the funniest (oddest) thing in your book is you taking me to task for being P.C. Have you heard my act?! I'll match your un-P.C.ness any day of the week my friend. I truly believe, and have said onstage amongst other things that, orthodox Jews are bar none, the most annoying people, as a group, that walk this earth. I absolutely refuse to say the term "African-American". It's a ridiculous and ill-applied label that was accepted with a thoughtless rush just to make white people feel at ease and slightly noble. I also believe that in the right setting that, as unfortunate as it may be, retarded people can be a near constant source of entertainment (fact!). Larry, whether northern, southern, straight, gay, male, female, liberal, conservative, Christian or Jew, I've walked them all. It didn't matter if it was a room full of "enlightened" hippie lesbian wicans at Catch A Rising Star in Cambridge, MA or literally hundreds of students at the University of St. Louis (a Jesuit school) or a roomful of the cutest, angriest frat boys in Baton Rouge all threatening to beat me up, I un-P.C.'d the shit out of them. That's another thing that bothers me too. I honestly believe that if we had worked a week together at whatever dumb-ass club in American Strip Mall #298347 in God's Country U.S.A and hung out that week and got good and drunk after the shows, that you and I would've been making each other laugh (I imagine we would have politely disagreed on a few things) but not only would we be laughing but we'd often be laughing at the expense of some of the audience members at that nights show and you know it. I'll address your easy, bullshit sanctimonious "don't mess with my audience" crap further on. But for now, let's "Gittle-R-Ding-Dong-Done!"

Okay, here's what I said in the RS interview: "He's good at what he does. It's a lot of anti-gay, racist humor -- which people like in America - all couched in 'I'm telling it like it is.' He's in the right place at the right time for that gee-shucks, proud-to-be-a-redneck, I'm-just-a-straight-shooter-multimillionaire-in-cutoff-flannel, selling-ring tones-act. That's where we are as a nation now. We're in a state of vague American values and anti-intellectual pride."

You took umbrage at my calling a lot of your act anti-gay and racist and said that "...according to Cross and the politically correct police, any white comedians who mention the word 'black' or say something humorous but faintly negative about any race are racists."

Well, first of all, your act is racist. Maybe not all the time, but it certainly can be. Here, let me quote you back, word for word, some of your "faintly negative" humor and I'll let people judge for themselves.

Re: Abu Ghraib Torture -

"Let me ask some of these commie rag head carpet flying wicker basket on the head balancing scumbags something!"

Re: Having a Muslim cleric give the opening prayer at the Republican Convention -

"What the hell is this the cartoon network? The Republicans had a muslim give the opening prayer at there (sic) convention! What the hell's going on around here! Is Muslim now the official religion of the United States!... First these peckerheads ( Ironically, "peckerhead" was a derogatory word slaves and their offspring used to describe white people) fly planes into towers and now theys (sic) prayin' before conventions! People say not all of em did that and I say who gives a rats fat ass! That's a fricken slap in the face to New York city by having some muslim sum-bitch give the invocation at the republican convention! This country pretty much bans the Christian religion (the religion of George Washington and John Wayne) virtually from anything public and then they got us watchin' this muslim BS!! Ya wanna pray to allah then drag yer flea infested ass over to where they pray to allah at!" End Quote. So... yeah. There you go. This quote goes on and on but my favorite part is when you say towards the end, "...now look, I love all people (except terrorist countries that want to kill us)..."

There are numerous examples and I don't think I need to reprint any more. You get the idea. Oh, what the hell, here's one more - "They're dead, get over it! Poor little sandy asses! I'm sure all them dead folks'd they'd killed give 40 shekels or whatever kinda money these inbred sumbitches use, but I'd give 40 of 'em whatever it is to be humiliated instead of dead!"

About being Anti-Gay. I honestly take that back. I do not think that you are anti-gay, I didn't choose those words wisely. Your stuff isn't necessarily anti-gay but rather stupid and easy. "Madder than a queer with lock jaw on Valentines Day." That's not that funny, I don't care who you are. It's just sooo easy. I mean, over half the planet sucks dick so why gays? Why not truck stop whores, or Hollywood Starlets or housewives? Because when you say "queer" you get an easy laugh. End of story.

Okay Larry The Cable Guy, I will ignore the irony of a big ole southern redneck character actually using "inbred" as an insult, as well as the fact that a shekel is currency from Israel, the towel heads sworn enemy. But at least you're passionate about what you see as inhumane injustice (not on a global level of course, but on a national level) and the simple black and white of what's right and what's wrong. It's kinda like you're this guy who speaks for all these poor, unfortunate souls out there who wear shirts with blue collars on them, work hard all day to put food on the table for their family (unlike people who wear shirts with white collars or wear scrubs or t-shirts or dresses or costumes that consist of flannel shirts with the sleeves cut-off and old trucker hats) and pray to the American Flag of Jesus to protect them from the evils of muslims, queers, illegal immigrants, and the liberal jews who run Hollywood and the media. I guess one could say that you're "telling it like it is". And considering the vast amount of over-simplification you employ to describe with sweeping generalizations, all of America and the World that "don't make no sense to you", as well as your lack of sensitivity, and second grade grammar, one might be led to think that you are somewhat proud of not appearing (or being) too intellectual. Combine that with your sucker appeal to the knee-jerk white Christian patriot in us all who would much rather hear 87 fart jokes than hear a joke in which the President (the current one, not the last one) or the Pope, or Born-Again Christians, or Lee Greenwood get called on their shit for being the hypocrites that they are, and I think we've got a winner!

As for being a multi-millionaire in disguise, that's just merely a matter of personal taste for me. I do not begrudge you your money at all, it is sincerely hard earned and you deserve whatever people want to give to you. What sticks in my craw about that stuff is the blatant and (again, personal taste) gross marketing and selling of this bullshit character to your beloved fans. Now look, if someone wants to pay top dollar to come to one of your shows and then drop a couple hundred more on "Git-R-Done" lighters and hats and t-shirts and windshield stickers and trailer hitches and beer koozies and fishing hats and shot glasses etc, then good for you. I just think it's a little crass and belies the "good ole boy" blue collar thing you represent. But that's no big deal.

Now, as for the last statement that "We're in a state of vague American values and anti-intellectual pride."

Well, I think that's true. When you can rally the troops (so to speak) with a lazy, "latte drinking, tofu eating" generalization of Liberals and "Back ass rag fags" to describe Arabs, then, yeah, I think that falls in the "ignorant" category. I think that with even the slightest attention to the double standard and hypocrisy of both the Left and the Right in this country (if not all of the Christian Extremists as a whole) coupled with the bullshit they lazily swallow and parrot back while happily ignoring the gross inhumane treatment of those that aren't them so that we may have cheap sneakers and oil and slightly less taxes (although I'm sure the bracket you're in now gives you a ton of tax money back), then you could maybe see my point. Now here's the best part - in your book you preface the above quote by saying, "...but I guess I'm not as intellectual as David Cross. In that Rolling Stone article, he sure showed us what a deep thinker he is by sayin' "America is in a stage of vague intellectual pride." Jesus Christ can you even fucking read?! Whoever read that article to you butchered the actual quote. The quote that was right fucking in front of their face! I would fire your official reader and have them replaced with a Hooters Girl who doesn't fart. That way you have something nice to look at while you are getting your misinformation.

As for "anti-intellectual pride", that is Larry The Cable Guy in spades. Let me quote you again (from an on-line interview, "I consider my jokes to be very jeuvinille (sic). Stuff a 14 year old would laugh at because that's the sence (sic) of humor I have. Hmmm, okay. That was easy.

Well, I suppose I've already covered part of that in the above. But you also specifically dumb down your speech while making hundreds of purposefully grammatical errors. How do I know this? It's on page 17 of your book wherein you describe how you would "Larry" up your commentaries for radio. What does it mean to "Larry" something up? Take a wild guess. The reason you feel the need to "Larry" something up? Because you are not that dumb. I mean you, Dan Whitney, the guy who's name the bank account is under. You were born and raised in Nebraska (hardly The South), went to private school and moved to Florida when you were 16. This is when you developed your accent?! Not exactly the developmental years are they? At age 16 that's the kind of thing you have to make a concerted effort to adopt. Did you hire a voice coach? Or were you like one of those people who go to England for a week and come back sounding like an extra from "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"? As you said yourself in an interview once, "I can pop in and out of it pretty much whenever I want". In your book on page 89 you say in reference to the "gee-shucks" millionaire comment, "...see, to his (David's) mind, bein' well paid means I'm no longer real and I can't be a country boy anymore. It's just an act." Hey, it's always been an act! That's my fucking point! You admit it yourself so cut the indignation shit. And I am in no way deriding your work ethic. You clearly have more fart jokes than most and for that I applaud you. You go on to talk about how hard you work and life on the road and living on Waffle House and blah, blah, blah. Yeah, I get it, we’ve all been there and played shitty, degrading gigs and sacrificed etc, etc. Then you say, "...this (the personal attack) was different because David basically hammered my fans in that RS article by implying that they were ignorant. He crossed the line when he railed against them, so I had to tell ya what I felt about that. He can hammer me all he wants, but when he screwed with my fans, it was time for me to say something." Aww, that's so sweet and egregious. I can't stand that fan ass kissing bullshit. You and Dane Cook ought to get together and have a "my-fan's-are-the-greatest-people-on-earth-and-that's-why-I-do-this" off. You could both sell a shit load of merch too. But having said that, I would truly love to get some of your fans and my fans in a room together to debate some of the finer points on comedy, music, culture, the issues facing our country today and just about anything else we might find worthy of discussion. My fans are pretty smart as well. They are also, I imagine, as "hard-working" as your fans. Not all of them of course, but most. And I'm sure that they may come up with some genuinely interesting, insightful points (and would do so without spouting a bunch of meaningless Christian platitudes). And if you really, truly want to respect your fans, lower your ticket price as well as the price of your ubiquitous merchandise. I'm sure all those hard-working Americans could use the extra money now that the budgets are being cut drastically from Transportation, Education, Health and Human Services, HUD, Dept of the Interior, EPA, Farm Service Agency, FEMA, Agricultural, FDA, VA, FDA, FHA, National Center for Environmental Health, and numerous other departments and agencies that they might directly rely on for help. All so that we can pay off this massive tax cut during "war" time that we're all getting (them not so much though). Oh well, that's just one of those "political" things that I think about occasionally.

Anyway, I just wanted to address the stuff you wrote about me and clear some things up. Mostly the air around here... I just farted!!!!!

Think-Of-Something-To-Do-And-See-That-Task-To-Completion!!!!!

Fart,
David Cross

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm not always behind Cross.
Dec 01st 2005
^^^^gay
Jan 04th 2006
what are the chances Larry will read past the third paragraph, though?
Dec 01st 2005
Dec 01st 2005
It's too bad Larry won't be able to read this
Dec 01st 2005
It's really bizarre to see these two interacting with one another
Dec 01st 2005
Very much so
Dec 01st 2005
      RE: Very much so
Dec 01st 2005
           they don't have to...It's easier and funnier to just be smarter
Dec 01st 2005
           I'm not so sure...
Dec 02nd 2005
           THIS reply....
Dec 02nd 2005
           Ding
Dec 02nd 2005
           ^^^^^^^Post fucking over.
Dec 04th 2005
           Spoken Like a true Poindexter
Jan 05th 2006
           Your sig
Dec 01st 2005
                RE: Your sig
Dec 02nd 2005
                     Good look on this
Dec 02nd 2005
                     That's part of his 'thing'
Dec 03rd 2005
                     The Pop Nerd
Dec 05th 2005
Brevity is the soul of wit
Dec 01st 2005
I LOVE Cross, but uh, he needs to chill sometimes
Dec 01st 2005
I generally agree....
Dec 01st 2005
I dunno if that necessarily warrants a 14 page blog entry
Dec 01st 2005
      RE: I dunno if that necessarily warrants a 14 page blog entry
Dec 01st 2005
           stand up comedians are supposed to type long winded
Dec 01st 2005
                RE: stand up comedians are supposed to type long winded
Dec 01st 2005
                     well, now, this here is a great point:
Dec 01st 2005
                          RE: well, now, this here is a great point:
Dec 01st 2005
                               great, just what I've always wanted
Dec 01st 2005
                                    Easy to find...
Dec 02nd 2005
                                         it's like a Leno monologue from 2001 with swears
Dec 02nd 2005
                                         I don't know you people
Dec 02nd 2005
RE: I LOVE Cross, but uh, he needs to chill sometimes
Dec 01st 2005
Co-sign on most of the replies. Fuck that blue collar comedy troupe
Dec 01st 2005
So... why is this funny?
Dec 01st 2005
RE: So... why is this funny?
Dec 01st 2005
      Ah.
Dec 02nd 2005
           there are 1 and a half funny guys in the BC troupe
Dec 02nd 2005
                With all the Blue Collar hate I was going to ask if anyone liked Ron Whi...
Dec 03rd 2005
                I actually agree.
Dec 03rd 2005
                RE: I actually agree.
Dec 03rd 2005
                     RE: I actually agree.
Dec 03rd 2005
                     Start with Drunk in Public
Dec 03rd 2005
                          RE: Start with Drunk in Public
Dec 03rd 2005
                I think Ron White should start an alcoholic comedy troupe...
Dec 03rd 2005
                     If you look at blue collar as the Roc
Dec 03rd 2005
                          Larry is Kanye
Dec 03rd 2005
                          HA -- please don't slur Kanye like that, though -- for real
Dec 03rd 2005
                          and Foxworthy has never called himself "Che Guevera with bling on"
Jan 04th 2006
                          I was tempted to say Freeway
Dec 04th 2005
                               Kanway it is
Dec 05th 2005
                          NEEF
Dec 04th 2005
Thanks David
Dec 01st 2005
I mean if this was trying to be funny it simply wasn't
Dec 01st 2005
RE: I mean if this was trying to be funny it simply wasn't
Dec 01st 2005
got a little swipe at dane cook in there too.
Dec 01st 2005
That's what had me rollin
Dec 01st 2005
their lilely mutual Dane Cook hate could unite them
Dec 02nd 2005
      why does ever comic hate Cook?
Dec 02nd 2005
           RE: why does ever comic hate Cook?
Dec 02nd 2005
           maybe cause he's corny as fuck
Dec 02nd 2005
           he's been accused of stealing jokes
Dec 02nd 2005
           Why do people LIKE him is my question
Dec 02nd 2005
           Because he's not funny or original
Dec 03rd 2005
           It's sort of a perfect storm.
Dec 05th 2005
                Here is what I have never understood though
Jan 04th 2006
Etherous response (c) Basaglia
Dec 01st 2005
RE: Etherous response (c) Basaglia
Dec 01st 2005
extra large L to cross for writing a damn thesis
Dec 01st 2005
other than that, what did you think of it?
Dec 01st 2005
RE: other than that, what did you think of it?
Dec 02nd 2005
      Yeah, imagine him sitting down to write this
Dec 02nd 2005
ha
Dec 02nd 2005
you people are some whiny bitches
Dec 02nd 2005
Because Larry the Cable Guy mocks his damn self
Dec 02nd 2005
      RE: Because Larry the Cable Guy mocks his damn self
Dec 05th 2005
Cross is such a self-important dick
Dec 02nd 2005
Not as Vicsious as Joe Rogan MERKING Ned Hoskins
Dec 02nd 2005
What the hell is a rant?
Dec 02nd 2005
Why the random attack on Dane Cook?
Dec 02nd 2005
RE: Why the random attack on Dane Cook?
Dec 02nd 2005
      Post OVER....
Dec 02nd 2005
      Cross Lost
Dec 02nd 2005
           THIS is an excellent point:
Dec 02nd 2005
           And to explain
Dec 02nd 2005
           The high road isn't funny, though
Dec 02nd 2005
           RE: Cross Lost
Dec 02nd 2005
                So you'd admit it's pointless
Dec 02nd 2005
                     RE: So you'd admit it's pointless
Dec 02nd 2005
                          lol you hit the nail, son. co-sign, nick. n/m
Dec 02nd 2005
DC
Dec 02nd 2005
kudos, mr cross
Dec 02nd 2005
I read this in a Mrs. Featherbottom voice n/m
Dec 02nd 2005
wow, that was so very david cross like
Dec 02nd 2005
I can't believe I read all of that...
Dec 02nd 2005
near the end:
Dec 02nd 2005
what is the Dane Cook reference?
Dec 02nd 2005
RE: what is the Dane Cook reference?
Dec 02nd 2005
i KNEW wonder showzen must be produced by nyc hipsters
Dec 02nd 2005
laughing at the irony
Jan 04th 2006
not bad, though he should've condensed it
Dec 02nd 2005
The funny thing is that Joe Rogan is NOT talented
Dec 04th 2005
      I've never seen his standup
Jan 04th 2006

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 06:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'm not always behind Cross."
In response to Reply # 0

But on this one, I've got his back.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Jan-04-06 10:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
97. "^^^^gay"
In response to Reply # 1

nm

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 06:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"what are the chances Larry will read past the third paragraph, though?"

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 06:54 PM

2. "."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-01-05 06:57 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

mcdeezjawns
Charter member
26056 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 07:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "It's too bad Larry won't be able to read this"
In response to Reply # 0

as he most likely can't read...And as usual, Cross is killin em

peace

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6741 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 07:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It's really bizarre to see these two interacting with one another"
In response to Reply # 0

Even though they're both comedians, I'd have thought they existed in seperate universes with no overlapping.

You know, something about these two even acknowledging each other's presence seems like a step in the right direction. Weird.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 07:31 PM

6. "Very much so"
In response to Reply # 4

It seems like they're interacting while still existing on completely different planes of reality, though. Very, very odd. The thing that really made this thing reek of 'Cross Fans are from Mars/Larry Fans Fuck Their Sisters' for me was the moment where Cross says that in an open debate, his fans would triumph over Larry's fans. I'm like, dude, if you got your fanbases in a room together, there wouldn't be any fucking debate, the Larry fans would simply blugeon the Cross fans to death with Git-R-Done golf clubs or something. It's like neither one of them gets it. They're speaking different languages.

stylez dainty
6741 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 07:43 PM

8. "RE: Very much so"
In response to Reply # 6

I wonder what the world would be like if ironic, anti-establishment, indie nerds could kick everyone's ass?

----

mcdeezjawns
Charter member
26056 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:10 PM

9. "they don't have to...It's easier and funnier to just be smarter"
In response to Reply # 8

than retards who settle things physically...I feel like it's always more satisfying to mentally beat someone down....

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:14 AM

34. "I'm not so sure..."
In response to Reply # 9

>I feel like it's
>always more satisfying to mentally beat someone down....

I mean, if you best somebody in a match of wits, the victory is a pretty hollow one, or a vague one, at best. Some people are so ignorant that they won't even realize it once they've received said mental beat down... so all you're left with is a funny little story to tell your snarky little nerd friends later on IRC. And that's no fun.

But when you *physically* beat someone down, well, it's just a lot more direct. There's no mistaking an ass whooping. None of that "I don't get it" or "What's THAT supposed to mean?" business. It's sort of the universal language.

I'm by no means a violent man but I can appreciate its salience.

dilatedpeoples36
Charter member
1562 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:31 AM

42. "THIS reply...."
In response to Reply # 34

made me crack the fuck up even more than cross' letter. thank you, sir.

Olskool
Member since Jun 12th 2002
1561 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:57 AM

44. "Ding"

Winner

Scott Jarrett Image Of You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orE7toonzbI

The Rapture7
Member since Mar 03rd 2005
5933 posts
Sun Dec-04-05 03:20 PM

92. "^^^^^^^Post fucking over."

http://twitter.com/TheCoOp420
http://twitter.com/TheRapture
http://twitter.com/MoneyStax

http://theco-opconscienceoperations.bandcamp.com

http://themuthafuckinrapture.bandcamp.com

http://itsaviciouscycle.bandcamp.com

http://i51.photobucket.com/album

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49556 posts
Thu Jan-05-06 01:53 PM

102. "Spoken Like a true Poindexter"
In response to Reply # 9

>than retards who settle things physically...I feel like it's
>always more satisfying to mentally beat someone down....

What is really satisfying is being able to beat someone down mentally and then physically if its necessary.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.

YourUserName
Charter member
1919 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 11:39 PM

28. "Your sig"
In response to Reply # 8

Where is that from?

*shrugs*

stylez dainty
6741 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 02:18 AM

49. "RE: Your sig"
In response to Reply # 28

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3375

It's usually a pretty funny column. It especially reminds me of here, because once there was a thread saying describe yourself in three movie characters or less, and everyone was saying they were John Cusack's character from High Fidelity, but the truth was obvious.

----

YourUserName
Charter member
1919 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 11:40 PM

76. "Good look on this"
In response to Reply # 49

I've been reading the shit out of this, even though this muthafucka likes NOTHING.

*shrugs*

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 02:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
77. "That's part of his 'thing'"
In response to Reply # 76

He pretends to hate everything. There's no way that anyone with the extensive knowledge of music that he has actually hates everything. If someone offered you a bunch of money to write an article for a relatively popular pop-culture website and the only caveat was that you had to hate on every musician and genre in existence, I think we'd all jump at that opportunity. Hell half of his stuff writes itself. He writes one article and then follows it up two weeks later with reader hate mail.

I think it'd be sort of fun to do. We all have things that we hate about the music we like. And even if you don't, it's not too hard to objectively look at the music you listen to and imagine why other people would dislike it.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

Olskool
1561 posts
Mon Dec-05-05 07:21 PM

96. "The Pop Nerd"
In response to Reply # 49

struck a little too close to home.

OK, way too close to home. Especially the Scritti Politti throw-in at the end.

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 07:24 PM

5. "Brevity is the soul of wit"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure what Cross is expecting to accomplish with this letter, outside a few chuckles at the Cable Guy's expense, but there were some really funny moments here. I mean, this was gold to me:

"...Since I stopped following your career shortly after you stopped going on stage wearing a tool belt with cable wrapped around your neck (around your appearance at "Laffs 'n' Food" in Enid, Oklahoma Aug 23-26 1999?)"

And the way he kept changing up the Git-R-Dones. Also love how he attacks Larry's "redneck cred" towards the end there. I'd always wondered if such a thing actually existed.

Absolutely pointless but kind of entertaining.

mc_delta_t
Charter member
8260 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 07:35 PM

7. "I LOVE Cross, but uh, he needs to chill sometimes"
In response to Reply # 0

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:32 PM

15. "I generally agree...."
In response to Reply # 7

but there is a whole chapter of Larry's book about a one paragraph quote in Rolling Stone from Cross. Really, in real life, 100% not fake.

-
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:56 PM

17. "I dunno if that necessarily warrants a 14 page blog entry"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu Dec-01-05 08:58 PM by buckshot defunct

I mean, there are other methods of retaliation out there.

I just think David is better (and funnier) than this, that's all.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:36 PM

21. "RE: I dunno if that necessarily warrants a 14 page blog entry"
In response to Reply # 17

>I mean, there are other methods of retaliation out there.
>
>I just think David is better (and funnier) than this, that's
>all.

no. he's not. and that's not a putdown. the guy is a stand up comic. this is the kind of shit he's supposed to be doing.

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:48 PM

22. "stand up comedians are supposed to type long winded"
In response to Reply # 21

'open letters' to each other?

Gosh, I hadn't the slightest idea!

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 10:13 PM

23. "RE: stand up comedians are supposed to type long winded"
In response to Reply # 22
Thu Dec-01-05 10:15 PM by bignick

and now you know.

David Cross has the kind of job where, when someone pisses you off, you can write an open letter to them insulting their intelligence, clowning their catchphrase, and calling their fans stupid.
he chose to do just that.

i think it was a pretty cool thing to do.

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 10:35 PM

25. "well, now, this here is a great point:"
In response to Reply # 23

>David Cross has the kind of job where, when someone pisses you
>off, you can write an open letter to them insulting their
>intelligence, clowning their catchphrase, and calling their
>fans stupid.

When you put it that way, sounds great in theory.

>he chose to do just that.

I guess I found the execution to be lacking. But don't get it twisted- I love a good comedy beef. I guess a lot of the internet aspects of it (blogs, message boards, etc.) that have come into play over the years strike me as kinda lame. I mean, anybody can hit a 'submit' button. Take that shit to the stage.

>i think it was a pretty cool thing to do.

Potato, Po-tah-to

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 10:35 PM

26. "RE: well, now, this here is a great point:"
In response to Reply # 25

>I guess I found the execution to be lacking. But don't get it
>twisted- I love a good comedy beef. I guess a lot of the
>internet aspects of it (blogs, message boards, etc.) that have
>come into play over the years strike me as kinda lame. I mean,
>anybody can hit a 'submit' button. Take that shit to the
>stage.

who says he won't?

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 11:45 PM

30. "great, just what I've always wanted"
In response to Reply # 26

An 8 hour David Cross set

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 02:17 AM

48. "Easy to find..."
In response to Reply # 30

it's called "Shut Up You Fucking Baby". It's his first album.

-

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 04:16 AM

53. "it's like a Leno monologue from 2001 with swears"
In response to Reply # 48

and a smarmy attitude.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

ArtVandelay
Charter member
6605 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 05:30 PM

71. "I don't know you people"
In response to Reply # 48

That's a Vandelay CLASSIC

I got that whole thing DOWN, word for word

Andrew
Member since Nov 10th 2005
58 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 11:41 PM

29. "RE: I LOVE Cross, but uh, he needs to chill sometimes"
In response to Reply # 7

but come on, put yourself in his shoes. if somebody said that shit about you wouldnt you want to respond to it.

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:15 PM

10. "Co-sign on most of the replies. Fuck that blue collar comedy troupe"
In response to Reply # 0

LISTEN TO CHINCHILLA ASCOT RADIO!!!:
Tuesdays @ 11 PM Central
http://216.12.162.184:7020/listen.pls

http://www.myspace.com/DawgEatah

DROkayplayer™ ¤ Dumhi ¤ DUNNT™ ¤ Domestic Exchange

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:18 PM

11. "So... why is this funny?"
In response to Reply # 0

>I fartingly bought the book and took it home
>with an excitement I haven't experienced since I got Bertha
>Chudfarter's Grandma drunk and she took her teeth out and blew
>me as I was finger banging her while wearing a Jesus sock
>puppet in the back of the boiler room at The Church of the
>Redeemer off I-20 (I don't care who you are, that's funny.)

Does it make me, I don't know, a prude that I don't find this funny?

Eh, anyway. I like David Cross. Strangely, I don't think he's that funny, but I've always like his personality.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:31 PM

14. "RE: So... why is this funny?"
In response to Reply # 11

>>I fartingly bought the book and took it home
>>with an excitement I haven't experienced since I got Bertha
>>Chudfarter's Grandma drunk and she took her teeth out and
>blew
>>me as I was finger banging her while wearing a Jesus sock
>>puppet in the back of the boiler room at The Church of the
>>Redeemer off I-20 (I don't care who you are, that's funny.)
>
>Does it make me, I don't know, a prude that I don't find this
>funny?
>
>Eh, anyway. I like David Cross. Strangely, I don't think he's
>that funny, but I've always like his personality.

That was satirical. That's what Larry says... "I don't care who you are..."

-

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:03 AM

32. "Ah."
In response to Reply # 14

I've never heard a Larry the Cable Guy bit. Doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18775 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:18 AM

37. "there are 1 and a half funny guys in the BC troupe"
In response to Reply # 32

the one is Ron White. The half is Jeff Foxworthy (who can be funny when he's avoiding his trademark "you might be. . . ").

Larry's just unfunny, and Engvall is low-rent Foxworthy.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 02:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
78. "With all the Blue Collar hate I was going to ask if anyone liked Ron Whi..."
In response to Reply # 37

Good to know someone else here does. Maybe it's worthy of a spin off post. I finally got around to listening to Drunk in Public after my younger brother was quoting it all during Thanksgiving. Some really funny stuff.

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 03:22 PM

80. "I actually agree."

>the one is Ron White. The half is Jeff Foxworthy (who can be
>funny when he's avoiding his trademark "you might be. . . ").
>
>Larry's just unfunny, and Engvall is low-rent Foxworthy.

I don't think Foxworthy is any great shakes, but I think he's a solid mainstream comic with a gimmick that's worked great.

And Ron White is damned funny.

-

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 03:26 PM

81. "RE: I actually agree."
In response to Reply # 80

>I don't think Foxworthy is any great shakes, but I think he's
>a solid mainstream comic with a gimmick that's worked great.

1 in 5 of those "You might be a rednick.." jokes are kinda funny. most of that probably comes from the fact that Foxworthy is a well-polished professional. and the guy is really fucking likable to me.

>And Ron White is damned funny.

i've heard this from more than a few people. i'll have to check him out.

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 03:42 PM

83. "RE: I actually agree."
In response to Reply # 81

>1 in 5 of those "You might be a rednick.." jokes are kinda
>funny. most of that probably comes from the fact that
>Foxworthy is a well-polished professional. and the guy is
>really fucking likable to me.

I'm not afraid to admit that I feel the same way. That's my gangsta.

>>And Ron White is damned funny.
>
>i've heard this from more than a few people. i'll have to
>check him out.

I wouldn't fly cross-country to see him or anything, but I saw his special on comedy central, and it was very enjoyable.

-

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 04:10 PM

85. "Start with Drunk in Public"
In response to Reply # 81

I'll try to upload it later on and post it. It's hilarious.

YaBoy...Holla@ME
Member since Mar 10th 2005
3164 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 08:46 PM

88. "RE: Start with Drunk in Public"
In response to Reply # 85

is it just me or does he ALWAYS do this same set? Its definitely hilarious but everytime I see him on some special its the same fuckin jokes (funny yes but played out)

Avy: Tyrion disrespects King Joffrey yet again

"If your life consists of NO drankin, NO drugs, NO loose booty, NO fatty foods, NO additives, NO preservatives, AND no waings.......then what the fuck you wanna live so long for, boring ass n****?" - Tay

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 03:36 PM

82. "I think Ron White should start an alcoholic comedy troupe..."

and fuck off the rest of those redneck motherfuckers. His jokes which are really funny to me have just as much to do with a steady drinking habit as they have to do with being a dumbass redneck. And yeah, he's really funny, but *oddly* probably the least popular of those redneck motherfuckers. Coincidence?

And if it wasn't for Larry's stupid slogan becoming a white trash rallying cry, I might actually say Bill Engvall is worse than him. Those two dudes are super trash.

magilla vanilla
18775 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 03:45 PM

84. "If you look at blue collar as the Roc"
In response to Reply # 82

Foxworthy's obviously Hov: Charismatic guy, wild mainstream popularity.

Engvall's Bleek: Untalented, gets Jay's throwaway verses, never has to work again thanks to friendship with Hov.

Ron White is Beans: Came up some other way, joined the Roc a little later, monster talent but gets no mainstream love.

and I don't know where that leaves Larry.

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 04:13 PM

86. "Larry is Kanye"
In response to Reply # 84

Currently more popular in the mainstream than Foxworthy/Jay but definitely not more talented than his predecessor who laid the groundwork and helped him come up. Obviously Kanye is more talented at his job than Larry is at his, but that's the best I could do with the Roc analogy.

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 04:29 PM

87. "HA -- please don't slur Kanye like that, though -- for real"
In response to Reply # 86

The Roc analogy is pretty funny and all, but there's no reason to ever put those two names together. Ever.

Kanye is not very actively promoting racism and willful ignorance, and -- shit -- I've laughed more during his CDs than I ever will listening to Larry the Cable Guy.

I don't know my Roc well enough to continue the analogy, though ... so, uh ... carry on.

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Wed Jan-04-06 11:07 AM

98. "and Foxworthy has never called himself "Che Guevera with bling on""
In response to Reply # 87

Its just an analogy!

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

magilla vanilla
18775 posts
Sun Dec-04-05 10:34 AM

89. "I was tempted to say Freeway"
In response to Reply # 86

The heavy set dude with the beard who doesn't seem to care most of the time. But then I realized Freeway isn't as successful as Larry.

but Larry isn't as talented as Kanye.

So Larry's Freeye? Kanway?

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Mon Dec-05-05 01:27 AM

93. "Kanway it is"
In response to Reply # 89

I know Larry isn't as talented as Kanye, but Kanye has about the same level of success as Larry in terms of they're individual niches in entertainment.

Heit
Charter member
6159 posts
Sun Dec-04-05 11:23 AM

90. "NEEF"
In response to Reply # 84

------------

My Texture is the best Fur:

www.DjFarenheit.com

and this is my first sig EVER:

"Yep, Stuff was stretched out like a research monkey on the floor."

ArtVandelay
Charter member
6605 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:22 PM

12. "Thanks David"
In response to Reply # 0

Hilarious

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18411 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:28 PM

13. "I mean if this was trying to be funny it simply wasn't"
In response to Reply # 0

im sayin half the shit doesnt even make sense to me almost.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 10:15 PM

24. "RE: I mean if this was trying to be funny it simply wasn't"
In response to Reply # 13

>im sayin half the shit doesnt even make sense to me almost.

and there it is.

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:54 PM

16. "got a little swipe at dane cook in there too."
In response to Reply # 0

though, i swear the god i have no idea who dude is...i just been seeing his name everywhere lately.

Premiere
Member since Sep 02nd 2005
2177 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:15 PM

19. "That's what had me rollin"
In response to Reply # 16

I liked it, but it's Cross being Cross. When he's not a character in the best sketch show ever or the best sitcom ever, he can be a self-indulgent, sometimes pretentious prick who's still usually pretty hilarious. Anyway, this is the kind of thing I expect out of dude, but the fact the Cable Guy even acknowledged him, much less devoted part of his book to dude, makes me laugh my ass off.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:42 AM

38. "their lilely mutual Dane Cook hate could unite them"
In response to Reply # 16

It seems every comic hates Cook.

_

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13378 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 08:57 AM

54. "why does ever comic hate Cook?"
In response to Reply # 38

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

tomtomorrow
Charter member
1215 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 10:32 AM

56. "RE: why does ever comic hate Cook?"
In response to Reply # 54

I think it's because he's more conscious of marketing than most comics are.

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 10:36 AM

58. "maybe cause he's corny as fuck"

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 05:19 PM

70. "he's been accused of stealing jokes"

and eating into other comedians performance time.
And maybe bitterness because he's made so much without being terribly sophisticated.

_

ArtVandelay
Charter member
6605 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 05:31 PM

72. "Why do people LIKE him is my question"

I don't get it

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Sat Dec-03-05 02:28 PM

79. "Because he's not funny or original"

and has a HUGE fan base and a ton of money. As a future physician, I'd be pissed if I learned that one of my colleagues who is a no talent, ass clown was raking in big dollars by being generally bad at being a physician. I'd probably move on with my life and hope that there is such a thing as karma, but I'd still have a bit of hate for the guy.

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Mon Dec-05-05 06:50 PM

95. "It's sort of a perfect storm."

He's apparently stolen some jokes, which is about as bad a thing as you could possibly do in the world of comedy.

He has a record of treating other comics in LA clubs very poorly. He ignores stage time limitations, takes other peoples' time unnanounced and without apology, etc. This is pretty much the second worst thing you can do in the world of comedy.

He's also the kind of comic who acts like he's being outrageous when he isn't. And the kind of comic who turns non-jokes into jokes by acting like an ass.

He also sucks off his fans by telling them how wonderful they are for liking him.

Also, his success has been wildly disproportionate to his talent, because of his looks and his focus on self-promotion and marketing.

-

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Wed Jan-04-06 11:11 AM

99. "Here is what I have never understood though"
In response to Reply # 95

I have heard the joke thief accusation, but truthfully.... I don't think Dane tells very many jokes. And I am not saying that in an I'm-just-a-dick-and-dont-think-he-is-funny way (though I don't think he is funny), I mean he genuinely doesnt tell jokes. Just like Kramer rarely had funny lines, he just said serious things in funny ways, Dane does the same thing, but substitute "funny" with "loud" and that is his set.

- Dub

celery77
25307 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:12 PM

18. "Etherous response (c) Basaglia"
In response to Reply # 0

Obviously, though, very few Cable Guy fans will actually be reading it. But you gotta love the Southern card pulling. That's where David really shits all over ol' boy. That's one of the nastiest card pullings I've seen in a while. But --like -- was Larry even aware of David's material at all? And David's frequent references to growing up in the South? Or his often extremely un-PC stuff?

I don't think this is supposed to be as funny as it is supposed to be a big "fuck you" to Larry the Cable Guy. I fucking love it when stand-ups talk shit. You know they're both working on a way to get each other into their acts, and I for one will be glad to hear both of their material about each other. (Larry's mainly for its overwhelming lameness.)

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:33 PM

20. "RE: Etherous response (c) Basaglia"
In response to Reply # 18

Pretty good but way too long.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 11:33 PM

27. "extra large L to cross for writing a damn thesis"
In response to Reply # 0

gimme 1 too, because i read it all

<--- get on my level, hoe

happiness is having power. - f. nietszche

http://www.feastofhateandfear.com/archives.html

Mzungu Aende Ulaya — Mwafrika Apate Uhuru

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 11:56 PM

31. "other than that, what did you think of it?"
In response to Reply # 27

was it funny?

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:15 AM

35. "RE: other than that, what did you think of it?"
In response to Reply # 31

Alot of it is definitley very funny but Im really curious as to why he wrote it. Was there really anything he needed to clear up? Did any of his fans read that chapter in Larry the Cable Guy's opus and throw out our Mr. Show's cds. Towards the end, Cross's seemed like he was getting off on the sound of his own voice.

PDouly33
Member since Apr 14th 2005
174 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 03:03 AM

50. "Yeah, imagine him sitting down to write this"
In response to Reply # 35

"I'm gonna thesis his ass. WATCH OUT FOR MY TOPIC SENTENCES LARRY."

But seriously, Larry the Cable Guy sucks, and Cross preaches facts throughout this long-winded blah blah blah palooza.

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 10:35 AM

57. "ha"
In response to Reply # 27

>gimme 1 too, because i read it all

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:13 AM

33. " you people are some whiny bitches"
In response to Reply # 0

"it's not that funny", "it's too long". who cares? he basically made a mockery out of this fool's career and at the expense of his fans. how can you not love that?

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:16 AM

36. "Because Larry the Cable Guy mocks his damn self"
In response to Reply # 33

As do his fans.

It's too easy.

I mean, I like Cross for the most part, but yeah, this seems like the comedy equivalent of beating Stephen Hawking in a potato sack race.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Mon Dec-05-05 06:06 PM

94. "RE: Because Larry the Cable Guy mocks his damn self"
In response to Reply # 36

>As do his fans.
>
>It's too easy.
>
>I mean, I like Cross for the most part, but yeah, this seems
>like the comedy equivalent of beating Stephen Hawking in a
>potato sack race.

Thank you. Larry is a fucking CHARACTER. He's almost satirical. It's obvious that Cross is salty because he's not making as much money.

News flash: now is not the time to be cerebral, Mr. Cross. Bush Won. Intellectuals, indie guys, liberals, and college grads lost the culture war. Just wait for the tide to turn.

disclaimer: I loved Arrested Development. The fact that it got cancelled proves I'm right.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:43 AM

39. "Cross is such a self-important dick"
In response to Reply # 0

but it works in print.

_

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40947 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:04 AM

40. "Not as Vicsious as Joe Rogan MERKING Ned Hoskins"
In response to Reply # 0

But this is still good. I'm a big Fan of Cross (Cable guy is allright, but I swear Comedy Central owns stock in him)

Man hopefully they keep this beef on wax/stage

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

The_Orange_Ninja_Turtle
Member since Jan 14th 2005
22411 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:06 AM

41. "What the hell is a rant?"
In response to Reply # 0

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:41 AM

43. "Why the random attack on Dane Cook?"
In response to Reply # 0

The article was pointless and in it, Cross did everything that Larry called him out for, specifically ripping apart the Blue Collar audience.

Poorly done by Cross.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 02:06 AM

46. "RE: Why the random attack on Dane Cook?"
In response to Reply # 43

>The article was pointless and in it, Cross did everything
>that Larry called him out for, specifically ripping apart the
>Blue Collar audience.

did you even read it? Larry called Cross out for being too PC. that alone tells you that Larry the Cable guy has either not seen Cross or is a moron.

and that Blue Collar audience pays top dollar to see racist, homophobic simple minded garbage. fuck them.

and it was anything but pointless. the guy dedicated a chapter to Cross in his book. you guys act like you would let someone talk shit about you for pages and pages and then not do anything about it.

scorpion
Charter member
29592 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 02:16 AM

47. "Post OVER...."
In response to Reply # 46

The avatar: Aries Love

Quote of a lifetime:
"...music is not just a hobby or what I do...it's what I live...music is the voice of my god, my vehicle for spiritual enlightenement..."
-OKP Illogicz

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:35 PM

63. "Cross Lost"
In response to Reply # 46

"did you even read it? Larry called Cross out for being too PC. that alone tells you that Larry the Cable guy has either not seen Cross or is a moron."

Larry the Cable Guy is a moron. Cross spent pages trying to explain how he isn't PC to Larry the fucking Cable Guy? Are you telling me that isn't a waste of time? There is no point to trying to explain yourself to an ignoramus who revels in his idiocy (or faux-idiocy in this case). He could have just posted excerpts of Larry's book and said, "How is this not racist? How am I wrong?" I'd rather have David proven his point about the racism in Larry's "comedy" and explained how it is a problem in our country rather than simply reitterating his distaste for most of America. (much of American pop culture is, if not racist, homophobic and simple-minded. It's not like most platinum rap or rock artists are saints). if Cross was going to explain something he could have gone into how his mocking Christianity is different than Larry bashing Muslims.

"and it was anything but pointless. the guy dedicated a chapter to Cross in his book. you guys act like you would let someone talk shit about you for pages and pages and then not do anything about it."

This is childish. I'm sure Larry would argue, "He started in!" Cross mentioned Larry in his interview and while he can say that it was just a line or two, in that line he said some pretty inflammatory things. Now while I agree with what he said, Cross needs to understand that Larry is going to come back and defend himself, the audience he's adopted, and would probably take the O'Reilly approach of calling him a yellow-bellied liberal. Instead of using this post to raise the level of the conversation to be about ideas nad pointing out the racism and simple mindedness of America, Cross went with the childish "No I'm not, you are." as if any of Larry the Cable Guys fans are going to read the missive let alone change their opinion of the comedian based on it.

Cross called out Larry for taking the easy way out but ended up taking the low road himself. He called Larry ignorant and then got into a pissing match with him. In my opinion, that's pointless.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:41 PM

64. "THIS is an excellent point:"
In response to Reply # 63

>if
>Cross was going to explain something he could have gone into
>how his mocking Christianity is different than Larry bashing
>Muslims.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:48 PM

67. "And to explain"
In response to Reply # 64

I think there is a difference (Cross attacks ideas, Larry attacks people). It relates to everything else in the article (and our nation) since whenever you attack an American action or legislation, the politicians react and make it sound like you are attacking Americans themselves.

I think Cross had a great opportunity to take the discussion somewhere but he stepped down into Larry's personal attack mode.

tappenzee
Member since Sep 28th 2002
19839 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:47 PM

65. "The high road isn't funny, though"

He got in Larry's ass, like a comedian's supposed to do, and that's the end of it. I'm just hoping he gets into it in some of his acts now, that'd be hilarious.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:48 PM

66. "RE: Cross Lost"

>Larry the Cable Guy is a moron. Cross spent pages trying to
>explain how he isn't PC to Larry the fucking Cable Guy? Are
>you telling me that isn't a waste of time?

he didn't waste any more time than everyone in this thread did. so, if he lost. we all did. Cross probably banged this out over his morning latte at The Coffee Bean, dude.

it's just not that big of a deal.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:52 PM

68. "So you'd admit it's pointless"
In response to Reply # 66

"it's just not that big of a deal."

Or did Cross really need to defend himself to save face?

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 05:58 PM

74. "RE: So you'd admit it's pointless"
In response to Reply # 68

>"it's just not that big of a deal."
>
>Or did Cross really need to defend himself to save face?

no. i'm not saying it's pointless. i'm saying i don't know why people are acting like David Cross wrote a dissertation. he probably spent less time on this than you did on all your replies in this thread.

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 07:29 PM

75. "lol you hit the nail, son. co-sign, nick. n/m"
In response to Reply # 74

LISTEN TO CHINCHILLA ASCOT RADIO!!!:
Tuesdays @ 11 PM Central
http://216.12.162.184:7020/listen.pls

http://www.myspace.com/DawgEatah

DROkayplayer™ ¤ Dumhi ¤ DUNNT™ ¤ Domestic Exchange

Olskool
1561 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 02:03 AM

45. "DC"
In response to Reply # 0

I could hear Charlie Brown's parents halfway through that article.

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH....get to the fucking point already!

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 03:21 AM

51. "kudos, mr cross"
In response to Reply # 0

and thanks, nick

roaches
Member since Jun 04th 2003
6849 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 04:13 AM

52. "I read this in a Mrs. Featherbottom voice n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Iltigo
Charter member
8609 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 10:09 AM

55. "wow, that was so very david cross like"
In response to Reply # 0

i mean if thats how he feels about it.

i woudl be upset too if somebody was misquoting me and talking shit about me in a book.

but the 11 page dissertation was, well pretty bitch-made. but it was also very much david cross.

i like him and his style is pretty fukcing twisted (mr show and the stand up i've seen).

but i really didnt think from what i've seen that he would take it to this (11 page) extreme.

i honestly don't think they share a fan-base so it not liek larry is dipping in daves' pockets or anything.

but hey, whatever, i just farted...

oh and dane cook is wack as fuck

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 11:21 AM

59. "I can't believe I read all of that..."
In response to Reply # 0

What a waste of time.

In the end, who really cares?

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:21 PM

62. "near the end:"
In response to Reply # 59

"Aww, that's so sweet and egregious. I can't stand that fan ass kissing bullshit. You and Dane Cook ought to get together and have a "my-fan's-are-the-greatest-people-on-earth-and-that's-why-I-do-this" off. You could both sell a shit load of merch too."

Darryl_Licke
Member since Jun 06th 2002
70279 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 12:56 PM

60. "what is the Dane Cook reference?"
In response to Reply # 0

but there is nothing wrong with being odd. i mean you arent inkast or adwhizz odd. - VABestBBW
Binlahab is a bitch.
I wouldn't trust okp, some of them don't even get any anymore since the Re's stopped - Anonymous OKP

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 01:19 PM

61. "RE: what is the Dane Cook reference?"
In response to Reply # 60

What was that quote? "My fans are the smartest, coolest people in the whole world," maybe?

-

dro
Charter member
7201 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 02:56 PM

69. "i KNEW wonder showzen must be produced by nyc hipsters"
In response to Reply # 0

with david cross involved, it confirmed my suspicions.

peace
mike

http://theonlyblogthatmatters.wordpress.com
http://www.last.fm/user/mdrohan/

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Wed Jan-04-06 11:16 AM

100. "laughing at the irony"
In response to Reply # 69

Of seeming to diss NYC hipsters (though maybe you are saying it is making you happy that it is made by hipster) while having a David Cross quote in your sig AND the new strokes album as you avy.

And before you go all Cross on me writing a long-winded response, this isnt a diss, just a humorous observation.

- Dub

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 05:45 PM

73. "not bad, though he should've condensed it"
In response to Reply # 0

and I agree with whoever said John Rogan pulling Carlos Mencia's card was better.

Mignight Maruder
Member since Nov 30th 2003
7724 posts
Sun Dec-04-05 01:46 PM

91. "The funny thing is that Joe Rogan is NOT talented"
In response to Reply # 73

I worked at a comedy club for well over a year and saw various comedians...Joe Rogan and his old side kick, (guy from the man show-Dave Stanhope?) were among the least talented comedians to come in...Relied completely on shock value to gain cheap laughs.And Doug Stanhope litterally almost got the shit kicked out of him for his moronic comments....No talent whatsoever.....

I don't know how that whole Joe Rogan situation went down, but I find it funny that he sonned someone, bc he really isn't talented either...But to each his own...

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Wed Jan-04-06 11:54 AM

101. "I've never seen his standup"
In response to Reply # 91

but I can believe it. Still and all, he got Mencia pretty good.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #105594 Previous topic | Next topic