Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #10521

Subject: "City of God" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Saadiq
Charter member
1254 posts
Wed Jan-01-03 06:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"City of God"

anyone seen this yet? is it any good?

http://twitter.com/haroonharry

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
its only been shown at cannes
Jan 01st 2003
Toronto International Film Festival too
Jan 27th 2003
      as did I
Feb 08th 2003
           second to what?
Feb 10th 2003
                RE: second to what?
Feb 10th 2003
                RE: second to what?
Feb 10th 2003
RE: City of God
Jan 02nd 2003
i SO want to see this.
Jan 02nd 2003
Jan 02nd 2003
Jan 02nd 2003
RE: i wish
Jan 03rd 2003
RE: i wish
Feb 08th 2003
Jan 16th 2003
Jan 16th 2003
um yes I have but
Jan 17th 2003
For real...
Jan 23rd 2003
it's at the angelika.
Jan 17th 2003
Awesome
Jan 17th 2003
stunning
Jan 18th 2003
definetly...
Jan 18th 2003
Jan 22nd 2003
Jan 22nd 2003
Feb 17th 2003
      Unf*cking Believable
Feb 17th 2003
It's cool (mild spoilers)
Jan 23rd 2003
co-sign...
Jan 23rd 2003
RE: It's cool (mild spoilers)
Jan 23rd 2003
GREAT
Jan 23rd 2003
Co-sign...
Jan 23rd 2003
exactly.
Jan 25th 2003
Jan 23rd 2003
thats twice
Jan 27th 2003
I'm goin to see it tomorrow
Jan 31st 2003
One of the best movies EVER!
Feb 02nd 2003
HELLMUTHAFUCKINYEA
Feb 02nd 2003
great effin film...
Feb 02nd 2003
good flick
Feb 03rd 2003
It's straight eye candied
Feb 03rd 2003
thumbs up. nm
Feb 03rd 2003
can't wait to see it
Feb 03rd 2003
man, it's great
Feb 10th 2003
      post 57 goes here too
Mar 03rd 2003
finally saw it saturday 2/8
Feb 10th 2003
RE: finally saw it saturday 2/8
Feb 11th 2003
sweet, but violent
Feb 10th 2003
Excellent!
Feb 17th 2003
Great Movie!
Feb 19th 2003
Fantastic
Feb 19th 2003
Dope ass Movie
Feb 20th 2003
Incredible
Feb 22nd 2003
C R I T E R I O N C O L L E C T I O N
Feb 23rd 2003
weeeeerd
Mar 03rd 2003
Feb 23rd 2003
Totally fuckin bananas
Feb 23rd 2003
Feb 24th 2003
pretty damn amazing
Feb 27th 2003
i agree with some of your points
Feb 27th 2003
highlights?
Mar 02nd 2003
when is it going to have a commercial release?
Mar 03rd 2003
Mar 04th 2003
Mar 12th 2003

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Jan-01-03 07:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "its only been shown at cannes"
In response to Reply # 0

and in south america, miramax is releasing it in north america this month, ive heard its amazing.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

allday
Charter member
837 posts
Mon Jan-27-03 08:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "Toronto International Film Festival too"
In response to Reply # 1

saw it this past September. Great film

Eusebio
Charter member
2969 posts
Sat Feb-08-03 02:20 PM

34. "as did I"
In response to Reply # 25

and it just came out here in a few theatres here so i saw it again

first of all it's a brilliant film. but i think i recommended it to some ppl who won't be able to handle it. see, it is very real and intense and many ppl won't be able to handle the violence. since i hadn't seen it since september, i kinda forgot how violent it was since i focused on its brilliant points

still it's an amazing film and u have to see it.
ebert put it as #2 of the year and i can't decide myself whether to rank it first or second

I am I be

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Mon Feb-10-03 04:34 AM

36. "second to what?"
In response to Reply # 34

I can't think of anything better.

-----------------------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon Feb-10-03 09:17 AM

40. "RE: second to what?"
In response to Reply # 36

>I can't think of anything better.

Ebert ranked it 2nd behind Minority Report and while I dont think Minority Report was a bad movie, it certainly wasnt better than City Of God. IMO City Of God is the best film of 2002 and my favorite film to come along in years

Eusebio
Charter member
2969 posts
Mon Feb-10-03 01:53 PM

41. "RE: second to what?"
In response to Reply # 36

my fav films of the year are all quite different and for that reason i haven't ranked them in any order.
city of god, bowling for columbine, talk to her and adaptation
and after seeing it again, i'm pretty sure if i ranked them, it'd be number 1

I am I be

daj
Charter member
120 posts
Thu Jan-02-03 12:33 AM

2. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

>anyone seen this yet? is it any good?

Although I haven't seen it yet, I think your answer is here......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/12/02/city_of_god_2003_review.shtml

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Jan-02-03 04:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "i SO want to see this."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-02-03 04:45 AM

i loved "Maids" and "Cidade de Deus" looks like it's pretty tight, too... anybody know when it's opening Stateside? i know it's already showing in the UK...

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

rosenbloom
Member since May 22nd 2002
50 posts
Thu Jan-02-03 09:27 AM

4. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw it in cannes. its amazing. when i got back to the us i learned that studios everywhere were trying to get this guy to come to america. its sick gangster stuff. i cant wait to see it again, its been a long time since i saw it.

aaron.

seen any good movies latelty? i have. check em. www.loosie.com

Saadiq
Charter member
1254 posts
Thu Jan-02-03 03:39 PM

5. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

just came back from the cinema and saw it. incredible movie.

optimus 5
Member since Oct 09th 2002
1702 posts
Fri Jan-03-03 12:39 PM

6. "RE: i wish"
In response to Reply # 0

hope the film doesn't suffer from over hype
"i believe in forgiveness hate
will eat you whole"
-primal scream

"Why should you die to go to heaven"
-Killah Priest

Sometimes I feel like throwing
my hands in the air
I know I can count on you
Sometimes I feel like saying
Lord I just don't care
But you've got the love to see me through
-THe Source feat Candi Staton

illguluminati till you bury me

illguluminati! blap blap

Eusebio
Charter member
2969 posts
Sat Feb-08-03 02:22 PM

35. "RE: i wish"
In response to Reply # 6

i think it's strong enough to handle it. everyon is giving it rave reviews because through and through, it deserves them. u don't exit the theatre saying "man i loved that movie i want to see it over and over" especially with it's reflective ending, u instead just take in all that you have just experienced.

I am I be

Blaise
Charter member
2271 posts
Thu Jan-16-03 11:11 AM

7. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-16-03 11:12 AM

Was it hard to keep up with the movie and the sub-titles? I saw a clip and it looks visually stimulating but the sub-titles seemed distracting. From what I can tell the story sounds really good

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Per

Saadiq
Charter member
1254 posts
Thu Jan-16-03 12:57 PM

8. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 7

erm, haven't u ever seen a foreign film before? it's no problem reading sub titles and watching the movie. it is an incredible movie though!

Blaise
Charter member
2271 posts
Fri Jan-17-03 08:12 AM

9. "um yes I have but"
In response to Reply # 8

I was watching clips for THIS one and the subtitles seem to move a little fast. THIS movie looked so visually stimulating that my concern was that one would have a hard time taking in the visual while keeping up with the dialogue. Comprende?

Per

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Thu Jan-23-03 09:16 AM

17. "For real..."
In response to Reply # 7

I seem to remember all the words as it they were spoken. They didn't distract me at all.

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Fri Jan-17-03 09:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "it's at the angelika."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-17-03 09:13 AM

avillago
Charter member
442 posts
Fri Jan-17-03 09:32 AM

11. "Awesome"
In response to Reply # 10

EXCELLENT, I saw it last year at the chicago film festival

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Sat Jan-18-03 06:41 PM

12. "stunning"
In response to Reply # 0

simply stunning. i don't think i even adjusted in my seat during the course of the film.

it's a gangster flick. but these are different kind of gangs than scorcese tarantino or guy ritchie might portray. i drop those two names cause the stylistic influences are obvious.

it moves very fast - though the subtitles are easy to keep up with - and covers a lot of ground in the history of the favela in question. essentially from the creation of the "city of god" to the point in its history when its a territory of some substance when competing factions can grapple for power.

the acting is hella real. which makes sense 'cause they used a lot of previously untrained folks in nearly all the key roles. one scene involving the runts (a crew of lil knuckleheads that seem to be about 10-12 yrs old) is especially powerful and gripping. it's worth the price of admission alone.

this is probably the best film that came out last year. in any country. there are so many interesting and well told stories within the central narrative. and though the subject matter is oh so familiar, it is as far from cliche as one could possibly imagine.

i don't wanna spoil it. but if you're thinking about seeing it, then get your ass out there and do it. you won't be disappointed.

---i'm here---

"...do what scares you..." -- l. varela

billa
Charter member
486 posts
Sat Jan-18-03 06:53 PM

13. "definetly..."
In response to Reply # 12

gangsta!!!

read the bio....that alone had me sold....

after seeing it...really enjoyed that flick....

1yerself

Madboy
Member since Jul 26th 2002
100 posts
Wed Jan-22-03 03:46 PM

14. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

I have been a fan of film since I was a toddler. I have probably seen hundreds of thousands of movies. I see hundreds of movies every year. Maybe close to a 1,000 not counting movies in theaters, foreign films, etc. "City of God", after one viewing, has become one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Period. The stylistic flourishes, the acting, the music, the portrayal of the desperation of poverty, and the cycle of violence it produces, just blew me away. One of the most accomplished films I have ever seen. I can not imagine seeing a better movie this year (and I know there are some good ones coming out). See this, or miss out on a true cinematic event.

"I'll never turn back cuz that's the way I gotta live"
-MCA

Madboy
Member since Jul 26th 2002
100 posts
Wed Jan-22-03 05:24 PM

15. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 14

oops...meant to say, not counting movies NOT in theaters, as well as foreign films, etc.

"I'll never turn back cuz that's the way I gotta live"
-MCA

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon Feb-17-03 10:21 AM

44. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 14

you see three movies a day?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon Feb-17-03 10:24 AM

45. "Unf*cking Believable"
In response to Reply # 44

The most gangsta movie ever I have ever seen. incredible violent and yet the movie mantains a heart. it makes the characters in "boys in the hood" and menance look like a bunch of whiney kids from the suburbs. kidding. but its great.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Thu Jan-23-03 08:49 AM

16. "It's cool (mild spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

Pulls off an amazing trick of being ultra-violent and humorous, without the violence seeming gratuitous or trivialized. Even with a lot of levity and humor, you seriously feel for the people trapped in this world. There is a spirit of life even surrounded by what would be portrayed as hopeless in any other culture. In other words, it realistically captures that dichotomy that so many before have noted in Brazilian culture.

It's a visual treat, with some nice editing tricks that never become overbearing or excessive.

Ultimately, it loses a little steam in then climax, with too many resolutions in succession. There's no chance to appreciate the end of each story.

Still, for a gangsta story, it relies on suprisingly few clichés, turning in unexpected directions at almost every step of the way.

Definitely a worthy entry in the best foreign film category.

RED
Ora et labora

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Thu Jan-23-03 09:20 AM

18. "co-sign..."
In response to Reply # 16

that's exactly how I feel about it. I seriously loved this movie. And as for the cliches about "gangsta life," I think that's why this movie was so powerful for me. It really injected some reality to contrast the hyped up, mainstreamed ideas of gangsters and thugs that have become so lucrative for some nowadays.

Saadiq
Charter member
1254 posts
Thu Jan-23-03 11:21 AM

19. "RE: It's cool (mild spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 16

exactly, u highlighted one of my favourite things, the spirit of life in this movie. there is so much life, and the characters love life, despite so many of them taking life.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Thu Jan-23-03 01:59 PM

20. "GREAT"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-23-03 02:56 PM

Absolutley loved this film! Intriguing as hell, beutifully shot. The acting, storyline, character development, pacing, editing...all superb IMO.

One of my favorite films ever

I have to agree with one of the posters above that at times at the very begining I had a tiny bit of trouble reading the subtitles, not because they were going too fast or anything, but because the film was SO visually stimulating it was difficult to make a choice whether to sacrifice that 1 second to read them, but that went away REAL quick and for the most part it wasnt a problem at all

I cant wait to go see this again. I'll probably see it at least 2 more times in the theater and I cant WAIT for the DVD

Hell, even the soundtrack is awsome

unknownone
Member since Sep 14th 2002
1000 posts
Thu Jan-23-03 09:28 PM

21. "Co-sign..."
In response to Reply # 20

>Absolutley loved this film! Intriguing as hell, beutifully
>shot. The acting, storyline, character development, pacing,
>editing...all superb IMO.
>One of my favorite films ever
>I have to agree with one of the posters above that at times
>at the very begining I had a tiny bit of trouble reading the
>subtitles, not because they were going too fast or anything,
>but because the film was SO visually stimulating it was
>difficult to make a choice whether to sacrifice that 1
>second to read them, but that went away REAL quick and for
>the most part it wasnt a problem at all
>I cant wait to go see this again. I'll probably see it at
>least 2 more times in the theater and I cant WAIT for the
>DVD
>Hell, even the soundtrack is awsome

Apt, concise/succinct description - good article in a recent Sight & Sound issue as well...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Jan-25-03 09:07 AM

23. "exactly."
In response to Reply # 20

like 20 minutes into the film, i knew i was gonna see it again, and 15 minutes after that, i'm thinking "WHEN is the DVD gonna come out??"

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Rashid78
Member since May 01st 2003
0 posts
Thu Jan-23-03 09:46 PM

22. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

Goddamn this town and them closing the other indie movie house.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon Jan-27-03 10:35 AM

24. "thats twice"
In response to Reply # 0

will probably go see it for the 3rd time this week

cant remember the last time I've done that

eusouamo3
Member since Sep 11th 2002
420 posts
Fri Jan-31-03 10:35 PM

26. "I'm goin to see it tomorrow"
In response to Reply # 0

night. Can't wait. My ears are hurting to hear people "conversate" in Portuguese. Hope its decent.

Heads up for Chicago peeps, Cidade de Deus is playing at the Water Tower Theater dwntwn. I wonder why it's not at some of the smaller venues. at least it's here.

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Sun Feb-02-03 08:19 PM

27. "One of the best movies EVER!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm seeing it two more times and then I'm copping the DVD.
I'm a big fan of photography and this movie is like a series of great pictures. Even you take away the interesting narrative and take away the fantastic acting and you still have a movie that's visually pleasing to watch.
PLEASE GO CATCH THIS FLICK!!!!!

RIP JDILLA
THE ILLEST THAT EVER DID IT

mellowyellow
Member since Jun 16th 2002
193 posts
Sun Feb-02-03 08:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "HELLMUTHAFUCKINYEA"
In response to Reply # 0

More later.

Boots:
Ay man I got a disease.

E-Roc:
Damn what you catch?

Boots:
It's called broke, wit no muthafuckin' respect
and it's an STD, but you ain't never gon' nut
cuz it comes from a long legacy of gettin' fucked

grandmasterfletch
Charter member
1500 posts
Sun Feb-02-03 09:43 PM

29. "great effin film..."
In response to Reply # 28

best i have seen in a long while, i too had trouble reading the subtitles, because i was captivated by the visual imagery.

epluribusunum
Charter member
1770 posts
Mon Feb-03-03 05:49 AM

30. "good flick"
In response to Reply # 0

excellent insight on the crime world of 60s70s&80s City of God, Brazil. Great actors, great action (blackhawkdown-caliber at times). i found it derivitive of pulp fiction & menace2society too. Story telling style was exactly like Pulp. The story of the bad homie (ODawg=Lil Ze) story of menace too. I thought the 70s were portrayed well w/the clothes, style, music & scenery (esp benny's going away party w/the dance crews, etc) was dope. Overall, its a predictable, super-violent gangsta movie & def worth watching.

eusouamo3
Member since Sep 11th 2002
420 posts
Mon Feb-03-03 08:34 AM

31. "It's straight eye candied"
In response to Reply # 0

dopeness. Be forewarned to forewarn those that it's really violent. One chick we went with said it was 2 violent for her, but I thought she was forewarned so....

Anyway, the realistic feel is the tightest part, but you're still left to wonder how much is real and how much is speculated. That's one of its best features. The reallife interviews included even blur the lines farther to those of us who've never been there or to any favela.

The acting was really good with the cheesy parts seeming intentional. I was laughing at some of the most inopportune times.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Feb-03-03 09:08 AM

32. "thumbs up. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

"I'll inbox you my address after they lose or you can send me yours if they can somehow pull this one out. And I hope you're not one of those cats who come in here and don't pay up if they lose. Because I know I'll pay if necessary, my credibility/integrity even on this little site is worth more to me than $50. peace."- Bombastic, the Philly Eagle Supporter.

ruckspin.

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Mon Feb-03-03 08:33 PM

33. "can't wait to see it"
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------
"I'm never hesistant to say:
fuck the president!!"
-Akil, J5

www.summerproleague.com/photo
s.html
www.summerproleague.com/highl
ights.html

"Friend, you have a .45
automatic on your lap. I've
got a 35-millimeter camera on
mine-- and I feel my weapon
is more powerful than yours."
-Gordon Parks to Black
Panther David Hilliard, 1969

''Ang hindi marunong lumingon
sa pinanggalingan, hindi
makakarating sa
pinaroroonan.'' Those who
cannot see where they came
from will never get to where
they are going.
-Jose Rizal

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Mon Feb-10-03 04:35 AM

37. "man, it's great"
In response to Reply # 33

and there's even some photojournalism in it.

-----------------------

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Mon Mar-03-03 06:48 PM

58. "post 57 goes here too"
In response to Reply # 37

great depiction of photojournalism in all its dopeness / realness

fuck the president!!"
-Akil, J5

s.html
ights.html

"Friend, you have a .45
-Gordon Parks to Black

sa pinanggalingan, hindi
makakarating sa
they are going.
-Jose Rizal

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Mon Feb-10-03 07:21 AM

38. "finally saw it saturday 2/8"
In response to Reply # 0

i didn't really read the reviews on this thread or anywhere else so i can gain my own unbiased perspective of the movie and i have to say it was not what i expected - and that's a good thing. i knew that it was semi-autobiographical and i expected it to be also like a semi-documentary - but it was so much more. everything from the dialogue, the camera angles, the music, the clothing, the pace a la Wong Kar Wai etc. was SO DAMN GOOD. one of the moments i liked/disliked (because of the emotional rollercoaster of it) was when Li'l Ze asked one of the kids to pick a kid to shoot - just the emotion on the two targeted kids made my stomach swirl, especialy the little guy. it was also dope to see the original newsreel at the end of Ned because it put a real timestamp in history for the audience. i know this is going to be in my top 5 for this year.

<--- Still reppin' the Bay
Life. Love. Music:
http://vettievette.wordpress.com
http://sistamatikdjs.wordpress.com

Saadiq
Charter member
1254 posts
Tue Feb-11-03 11:43 PM

42. "RE: finally saw it saturday 2/8"
In response to Reply # 38

it's easily the best movie of the year so far.

emil
Charter member
10566 posts
Mon Feb-10-03 07:49 AM

39. "sweet, but violent"
In response to Reply # 0

the runts n shit.

Invisible-Genius
Charter member
845 posts
Mon Feb-17-03 04:59 AM

43. "Excellent!"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought it was such a great movie. I was both disturbed and amused by so many scenes.
Jokingly I told my boyfriend that if a lot of rappers knew about this film, we would hear lines about Lil Ze and quotes all the time, and just this morning I saw a commercial for the movie mentioning nationwide release. So we may have the opportunity to hear our favorite rapper spit rhymes about it. *sarcasm*
I wish the film much success.

"Men often stumble on the Truth, but usually dust themselves off & hurry away..." - Winston Churchill

Blaise
Charter member
2271 posts
Wed Feb-19-03 09:12 AM

46. "Great Movie!"
In response to Reply # 43

Stunning! And you may get your wish on the rapper thing. Apparently the urban radio stations have commercial spots with RZA hyping the movie... Scarface references and all

Per

Kream
Charter member
4012 posts
Wed Feb-19-03 10:00 AM

47. "Fantastic"
In response to Reply # 0

Movie. Have to see it again this weekend.

tdelpus
Member since Jan 19th 2003
49 posts
Thu Feb-20-03 05:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
48. "Dope ass Movie"
In response to Reply # 0

Just had to put my two cents in. It's good to see a movie get this much hype on word of mouth alone. That's the way it should be. This movie is the 50 cent of films. Except I think at this point , 50 is a little more hype than talent. Please don't respond to the 50 cent part. I don't want him to take over this post.

raool
Member since Jul 10th 2002
12355 posts
Sat Feb-22-03 05:07 PM

49. "Incredible"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't know what to expect bu this is arguably one of my favourite movies these past 18 months.
I knew I would like it when I saw the first scenes.I've lived in a third world country and seeing the live chicken made me smile.

I was impressed on how touched I was by so many charcaters in such a little time. Very strong storytelling!
One scene I particularly enjoyed was Benny's farewell's party. It was nice to see the many groups that form Brazil's youth at that time.
Yes, it was violent but it was never cheap violence we are used to in American movies. We have to remember that street kids are still dying in Brazil.
The director showed many aspects of Brazil's life without ever being patronizing. For example, white privilege was shown when Tiago ( the readhead guy) had to go buy clothes for Benny.
I dont'own a DVD player but for this movie, I am willing to get one and cope the DVD as soon as it comes out.

I need a poster!

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Sun Feb-23-03 01:32 PM

50. "C R I T E R I O N C O L L E C T I O N"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-23-03 01:55 PM

FIRST...What would be NICE (like really nice) is if Criterion did the DVD set when it came out. Only they could do this film justice...but I feel that won't happen.

But just from a photographer's standpoint...i really enjoyed the rise of Rocket in the newspaper business. I mean, the movie as a whole was great...SUPERB even. But watching Rocket take those pictures of Lil'Ze and his gang, and then have them printed in the paper was just fantastic! Oh, even better was him shooting that final gang shoot out, and then it's conclusion.

Like I said, from a photographer's stand point, that story was like an added bonus to an already bomb movie.

YES, this was a beautifully shot film. Words that come to mind when I think of the pictures in this film:

sweaty
dirt
sizzling
sun
grit
dust
eyes (Lil' Ze)
triggers
crimson

that's all I can think of right now.

https://digife.com

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Mon Mar-03-03 06:43 PM

57. "weeeeerd"
In response to Reply # 50

watching that as a photographer myself was outstanding! that was hot the way his first freelance shots were front page drama with the paper running the photos, asking questions later. i FELT his adrenaline whenever photography was involved.

fuck the president!!"
-Akil, J5

s.html
ights.html

"Friend, you have a .45
-Gordon Parks to Black

sa pinanggalingan, hindi
makakarating sa
they are going.
-Jose Rizal

Sunday
Charter member
1781 posts
Sun Feb-23-03 03:54 PM

51. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

i just came in here to check out if anyone has seen it. wasn't anticipating a thread this size.

anyway, yeah, easily one of the most incredible movies i've ever seen. if you haven't seen it, you should. its violent and disturbing but beautiful... funny too.

but its contradictions make me sad. i feel guilty in some wierd way... as if the film will be taken the wrong way, exoticized..

heiro5
Member since Sep 09th 2002
933 posts
Sun Feb-23-03 05:53 PM

52. "Totally fuckin bananas"
In response to Reply # 0

It's been playing in LA for about a month.

Run-don't-walk to see shit. Really.

It's worse than not insightful. It's not funny. --W. Allen

Marauder
Charter member
67 posts
Mon Feb-24-03 05:54 AM

53. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

Okay, I've been wanting to see this movie for a while and didn't want to check into this thread until I saw it. Saw it yesterday and it was an incredible film. The story the way it wraps itself around, I love it.

I just hope people don't get discouraged about the subtitles. When I bought my ticket the guy at the counter was like ' uh, it's in subtitles, is that alright' fargin idiot. I'm trying to get everyone I know to see it but some are held up on the subtitles.

My peace

-----------------------------

...This morning when you got there and it was quiet
And the machines were yearning soft behind you
Yearning for that nigga to come and give up his life
Standin' there bein' dissed and broke and troubled...
Amiri Baraka

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Thu Feb-27-03 03:09 PM

54. "pretty damn amazing"
In response to Reply # 0

the film jumps back to tell the stories leading to the many flashpoints and the numerous stories lock you in. with a some of the violence potrayed against a hype soundtrack it ran the risk for me of too much stylish death. very engaging, rich, and gangster.

the photojournalism theme was doooope- especially for me as one. an ill look at brazil realism.

fuck the president!!"
-Akil, J5

s.html
ights.html

"Friend, you have a .45
-Gordon Parks to Black

sa pinanggalingan, hindi
makakarating sa
they are going.
-Jose Rizal

t510
Charter member
100002 posts
Thu Feb-27-03 05:00 PM

55. "i agree with some of your points"
In response to Reply # 54

to add..lots of parallels in this movie

and i like how rocket wasnt really the protagonist in the movie

it was like a bunch of protagonists...

thatgirl_08
Charter member
406 posts
Sun Mar-02-03 04:35 PM

56. "highlights?"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't know about all of you, but i found that one scene where they recap Lil Dice laughing after the motel raid spine-chilling.
that and of course, the two 'runts' being held up by Lil Ze and his boys.
there were more but i personally thought those two stuck out.

i went with my dad, of all people, to see this and although he thought it was a good film, he felt that the intensity of it was overwhelming and it was like the directer left the viewer no time to even breathe...which is true to a certain degree.
how i feel is that it wouldn't have made sense to slow the film down for four or five minutes. the fast pacing of it coincided with the lifestyle of the 'hoods', and City of God.

this was one of the most enjoyable and captivating films i have ever seen in my life. though there is plenty of violence, none of it gratuitous. great sequencing and story-telling. unbelievable acting considering most of them weren't 'actors'. and of course, as mentioned by everyone else, a piece of eye candy.

+++++
i assassin down the avenue

olayinka
Member since Nov 03rd 2002
178 posts
Mon Mar-03-03 10:20 PM

59. "when is it going to have a commercial release?"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver particularly

"Buy Africa" Fela

"You shut the f*ck up and you shut the f*ck up and that's what the f*ck you do!" Ol' Dirt McGirt

dungarees
Member since Mar 01st 2003
76 posts
Tue Mar-04-03 03:20 AM

60. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my favourite films of all time!

Just won a BAFTA award for best editing...and deservedly so!
'Watch more Brazilian films' was the guys speech (forgot his name!)
__

'from the muscle kid, i'm one a da illest a all time'

'if you talk you can sing, if you can walk you can dance'

'she told me her name was ice cream cone'

'If you can talk you can sing, if you can walk you can dance.'

Theusualsuspect
Member since Feb 01st 2003
135 posts
Wed Mar-12-03 06:30 AM

61. "RE: City of God"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't know about this thread, but if I had, I wouldn't have hesitated to post.

I saw this film and like most people who posted, was blown away by it. I can't even begin to describe how much I loved it. It was extremely violent, but I wasn't even really caught up in that because of the story, or rather the different stories. Like someone mentioned earlier it is extremely fast-paced, but not to the point where you are unable to follow. As for the sub-titles, it's like any other foreign film, it doesn't really take away from the action on screen, well at least not for me anyway. I thought the visuals were stunning and it was beautifully shot, the style was incredible, very gripping and extremely intense. It was a fine balance between humour, violence and tragedy. It is definitely one of the best film I have watched in a long time. What I really enjoyed was the fact that it plays on previous gangster films, but somehow is completely original. By the way did anyone else think that Lil Zé looks like Beenie Man? LOL.

Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands. Meet exciting, unusual people, and kill them.- Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.

Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands. Meet exciting, unusual people, and kill them.- Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #10521 Previous topic | Next topic