Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #4116

Subject: "At The Gates Of Heaven" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 05:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"At The Gates Of Heaven"

One day a samurai came to see the Zen master Hakuin and asked him, "Is there truly a heaven and a hell?"

"Who are you?" the master asked.

"I am the samurai..."

"You, a soldier!" Hakuin exclaimed. "Just look at yourself. What lord would want you in his service? You look like a beggar."

The samurai grew angry and drew his sword. Hakuin continued: "Oh good, you even have a swrd! But you are certainly too clumsy to cut off my head with it."

Losing all self-control, the samurai raised his sword, ready to strike the master. At that very moment the latter spoke, saying, "Here is where the gates of hell open."

Surprised by the monk's air of calm assurance, the samurai sheathed his sword and bowed before him.

"This is where the gates of heaven open," the master then said.

Red, Black, Green

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
my lil' brothers name is
Sep 06th 2003
why this was posted...
Sep 06th 2003
well said
Sep 06th 2003
RE: why this was posted...
Sep 06th 2003
RE: why this was posted...
Sep 06th 2003
puts pieces together
Sep 09th 2003
this should be archived -- great lesson
Sep 12th 2003
RE: At The Gates Of Heaven
Sep 06th 2003
Powerful
Sep 06th 2003
what this board is missin
Sep 06th 2003
you've made more comebacks than Jesus & Ali combined
Sep 07th 2003
Assassin on the Road to Hell
Sep 07th 2003
The moral of this story:
Sep 07th 2003
Nigga get outta herre wit dat ichiong shit cuh!
Sep 07th 2003
RE: At The Gates Of Heaven
Sep 08th 2003
try it
Sep 09th 2003
serenity now...
Sep 09th 2003
an answer i gave...
Sep 09th 2003
you see "bowling for columine"?
Sep 12th 2003
it's about FOCUS...
Sep 09th 2003

Esco
Charter member
44856 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 05:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "my lil' brothers name is"
In response to Reply # 0

fari shango babatunde

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 05:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "why this was posted..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Sep-06-03 05:33 AM

upon being requested to post and told of what was happening here... i thought of some stories and parables that i'd read that could shed light on how to rectify the situtation. by rectify, i mean "change" for the positive.

being that perspectives to the contrary of whatever we define as "positive" on a messageboard or in life, will exist independently of us, the best thing to do is "control self". cool thing is, this usually winds up actually influencing others... ESPECIALLY if you're confident in your actions in the first place.

a suggestion for those asking for a higher caliber of discussion and respect is to simply NOT PAY ATTENTION TO and involve oneself in the exchange of an energy you SEE and KNOW is gonna generate negativity (however you define that). if you can see the Taoist principle in the above tale, i'd also suggest capitalizing on the momentum of such an energy when you witness and try to 1)redirect it to somewhere else 2)change it to something else 3)accept it and observe it. this could be done by: a request to the poster or person to take that energy elsewhere (you'd be surprised how people respond to direct queries to "STOP IT!"...some of you may remember that Cosby show episode where Rudy told all the bad people to "Stop it!), use of the Socratic method to dissipate a person's energy, and use of patience respectively.

there are plenty of ways of neutralizing another person's energy, but it all starts with an "air of calm assurance" which ultimately begins with yourself. everything that bothers you is generated from within. the way you perceive and interact with something will determine how you feel about it and engage it.

a sign i read on a church bulletin board: "That which angers you, controls you." If we allow ourselves time to find that "stillness" within, then it'll be all that easier to confidently deal with the external. my suggestion is to carefully pick exactly what deserves your attention and time and energy. there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to ever get upset or bothered. after all, one reson for such emotions is a lack of accurate perception and awareness, cuz i'm finding that the more you learn and understand things that are TOTALLY opposite you, the greater your ability is to deal with it from your center and still maintain balance.

Red, Black, Green

velvet1
Charter member
1813 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 06:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "well said"
In response to Reply # 2

n/m

nuff said

thoughtremedy
Charter member
1415 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 06:57 AM

4. "RE: why this was posted..."
In response to Reply # 2

i respect you.

peace.

---
the pursuit of fame and fortune
leads to shame and misfortune
-tao

Jagunjagun
Member since Jul 28th 2003
1568 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 07:49 AM

5. "RE: why this was posted..."
In response to Reply # 2

Good drop!

"Tongue is lightening"
- Luyia

--------
"when i see his ass on tv lookin like a broke jadakiss i take it personal..."
- fwmj on Young Jeezy.

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Sep-09-03 06:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "puts pieces together"
In response to Reply # 2

good stuff

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

MicheleQJ
Charter member
5380 posts
Fri Sep-12-03 08:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "this should be archived -- great lesson"
In response to Reply # 2

http://myspace.com/139003080
http://www.last.fm/user/micheleqj/
http://myspace.com/alluswe
http://myspace.com/fermentedspirits
http://www.last.fm/music/Alluswe

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 08:06 AM

6. "RE: At The Gates Of Heaven"
In response to Reply # 0

>Surprised by the monk's air of calm assurance, the samurai
>sheathed his sword and bowed before him.

I think deep inside we all know this but many folks refuse to act on it...transforming the subtle negativity all around us into a force of compassion and understanding.

My knowledge comes from what I know inside, what makes sense to me. I do not like agression or competition. I do not want to be divisive or isolated. I am assured and often this is threatening to those who would rather raise the sword, so to speak than be reverent.

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

MALACHI
Member since Jan 22nd 2003
10706 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 09:10 AM

7. "Powerful"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Sep-06-03 09:10 AM

in its simplicity...

"Is it not one father that all of us have? Is it not one God that has created us? Why is it that we deal treacherously with one another?" --Malachi 2:10

bukaruk
Member since Jun 19th 2002
5079 posts
Sat Sep-06-03 11:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "what this board is missin"
In response to Reply # 0

is activism

last week u burned a old lady's retina
i thought them thick coke bottle jammies might protect her, but it didnt pa
the ladies blind and its all ya fault

-We all dropped out of school, man. That’s why.

-"I’m the biggest one; I’m gon’ to get shot. I’m bigger. They can see me first."

-I let Nashawn fight all of them. Me, I will fight anyone of them in their crew. I will fight their security g

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Sun Sep-07-03 01:58 PM

9. "you've made more comebacks than Jesus & Ali combined"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------------------------
It's only natural, actual facts are thrown at you
The impact'll blow trees back and crack statues
Million dollar rap crews fold, check the sick shit
Explicit, I crystalize the rhyme so you can sniff it

- Inspectah Deck, "It's Yourz"

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Sun Sep-07-03 05:17 PM

10. "Assassin on the Road to Hell"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Sep-07-03 06:17 PM

One day the Yagyu clan, the Shogun's enforcers, coveted Itto Ogami's position as 'Kaishakunin', or Executioner - the Shogun's Officer of Death. They framed Ogami, and the Shogun sent his ninja assassins to kill him, but they slayed his wife instead. Blinded by rage and vowing to avenge her death, Ogami takes his executioner's sword and sets out on the bloody path of vengeance and darkness.

And so Itto Ogami begins his journey on "the Road to Hell." He has taken the assassin's road and become a Ronin - a Masterless Samurai - roaming the land as a professional killer, known and feared as the Lone Wolf. He walks the path of 'Meifu-mado', the Dark Road to Hell. Soon Lone Wolf's bloody sword of vengeance will be unleashed upon the Shogun's sons, the evil Yagyu clan & the legendary 'Masters of Death', and finally the Shogun himself...

But for Lone Wolf to truly transcend himself and become the perfect Shogun Assassin, he must reach the state of "Mu" - to embrace nothingness. "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha." - These words echo in Itto Ogami's mind when he is hired to kill a wise Zen master who shows him the way to Wu-Men Kuan, "The Gateless Barrier."

Will the Lone Wolf pass the The Gateless Barrier and enter the Gates Of Heaven, or will he continue on his path of vengeance down the Dark Road to Hell?

A Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the Dark Side; anger, fear, aggression - the Dark Side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

"You don't know the *POWER* of the Dark Side!" Sith proverb

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Sun Sep-07-03 05:23 PM

11. "The moral of this story:"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun Sep-07-03 06:21 PM

the Zen master Hakuin is lucky the samurai he crossed paths with was not Itto Ogami, the Lone Wolf seeking vengeance on the Assassin's Road... or the Gates of Hell would've opened on his ass with the quickness.

A Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the Dark Side; anger, fear, aggression - the Dark Side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

"You don't know the *POWER* of the Dark Side!" Sith proverb

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

IsaIsaIsa
Charter member

12. "Nigga get outta herre wit dat ichiong shit cuh!"
In response to Reply # 0

!!!!!!

1 too foe fi!

count'n deez rox batch!

lidawg
Charter member
1539 posts
Mon Sep-08-03 06:42 PM

13. "RE: At The Gates Of Heaven"
In response to Reply # 0

I understood the overall point of the passage and what's interesting is that this is a very Sango way of dealing with adversity (With coolness and calmness). However, I would also add that becoming angry is a natural emotion and that I would argue that there's nothing wrong with its expression as long as it is constructive and destructive to yourself or others. This concept is something that I am continually learning each day b/c my anger (when it gets out) can be quite all encompassing. I'm working on making it work for me instead of against me. Just my two cents...

Thanks for putting this passage out there.

peace!
li

"Afraid is a country with no exit visa."--Audre Lorde

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Tue Sep-09-03 01:46 AM

14. "try it"
In response to Reply # 13

try removing yourself from teh situation and/or taking a deep breath or two next time you feel yourself getting ready to blow

come back at the situation more peacefully

i used to be very proud of my anger & fighting abilities, but i'm learning how much more effective i am when i stay rational

of course, along the lines of what you said, you need to be physically active at the same time- that's the other side of it

anyway, it took me almost 30 years to learn to control my anger. i wish i had had that ability years ago.

"Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere"
- Amiri Baraka

http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines

BUY MY BOOK- only $6! Inbox me for details

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Tue Sep-09-03 06:34 AM

17. "serenity now..."
In response to Reply # 14

... insanity later.

serenity now
serenity now
serenity now
senenity now...

***SERENITY NOW!!!***

------------------------------------------------------------
It's only natural, actual facts are thrown at you
The impact'll blow trees back and crack statues
Million dollar rap crews fold, check the sick shit
Explicit, I crystalize the rhyme so you can sniff it

- Inspectah Deck, "It's Yourz"

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Tue Sep-09-03 05:49 AM

15. "an answer i gave..."

to an inbox regarding the quieting of anger as it's concerned with "acceptable" and often necessary reasons for such energy:

i feel you. 100%. how to resolve the "spirit of Shango" and the Buddha is sorta conflicting at times.

what i've found though, is that the ability to withhold the anger/rage leads towards peace. a peace that allows for me to accumulate a larger resevoir for higher levels of energy, which oftentimes leads towards more compassion or a higher potential for expression of anger. the choice is in controlling the "direction" of emotion. like vector manipulation. you can go one way or the other. holding that "charge" of energy is key though, so that one can build it up to be used in "important" matters. getting angry at little shit is beyond me now, and i just hope that at the right time i can summon the stored energy i have from staying calm in those "lesser" situations, for REAL issues.

Red, Black, Green

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Fri Sep-12-03 07:43 AM

19. "you see "bowling for columine"?"

?

Red, Black, Green

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Tue Sep-09-03 05:52 AM

16. "it's about FOCUS..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and intentional direction of energy/effort.

instead of being at the whim of emotions. i'm reading some martial arts texts involving "feeling" and awareness beyond the use of the senses (yeah right) and it's interesting to see that emotion used for a split second to gain accurate awareness is then set aside so that one can act with precision and not be overun by the "feeling" that emotion naturally progresses to. (in martial arts this is represented by saying that anger or fear gives way to hightened awareness of ones' surroundings and then being controlled wnough to allow th person to fight with technique)

Red, Black, Green

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #4116 Previous topic | Next topic