Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #29617

Subject: "the tsunami tragedy nobody talks about" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 06:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"the tsunami tragedy nobody talks about"

it has been standard practice for western nations to dump their garbage and toxic waste in Africa and in the middle of the Indian Ocean. the tsunami's worst impact was in Somalia for this very reason... as all the crap they dumped in the Indian Ocean saturated the Somali coastline and polluted the region's groundwater resources.

now people are dying en masse from mysterious illnesses and infections caused by these pollutants

any of ya'll ever read that famous internal memo by the World Bank's former chief economist? this is the bullshit we gotta mobilize for. this memo illustrates the calculated lunacy of western geopolitics.

DATE: December 12, 1991
TO: Distribution
FR: Lawrence H. Summers
Subject: GEP

'Dirty' Industries: Just between you and me, shouldn't the World Bank be encouraging MORE migration of the dirty industries to the LDCs ? I can think of three reasons:

1) The measurements of the costs of health impairing pollution depends on the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and mortality. From this point of view a given amount of health impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages. I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that.

2) The costs of pollution are likely to be non-linear as the initial increments of pollution probably have very low cost. I've always though that under-populated countries in Africa are vastly UNDER-polluted, their air quality is probably vastly inefficiently low compared to Los Angeles or Mexico City. Only the lamentable facts that so much pollution is generated by non-tradable industries (transport, electrical generation) and that the unit transport costs of solid waste are so high prevent world welfare enhancing trade in air pollution and waste.

3) The demand for a clean environment for aesthetic and health reasons is likely to have very high income elasticity. The concern over an agent that causes a one in a million change in the odds of prostrate cancer is obviously going to be much higher in a country where people survive to get prostrate cancer than in a country where under 5 mortality is is 200 per thousand. Also, much of the concern over industrial atmosphere discharge is about visibility impairing particulates. These discharges may have very little direct health impact. Clearly trade in goods that embody aesthetic pollution concerns could be welfare enhancing. While production is mobile the consumption of pretty air is a non-tradable.

The problem with the arguments against all of these proposals for more pollution in LDCs (intrinsic rights to certain goods, moral reasons, social concerns, lack of adequate markets, etc.) could be turned around and used more or less effectively against every Bank proposal for liberalization.

«SiG»
“Stand out firmly for Justice as witness before God, even against yourselves, against your kin and against your parents, against people who are rich or poor. Do not follow your inclinations or desires lest you deviate from Justice."
-Qur’an 4:135

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: the tsunami tragedy nobody talks about
Apr 11th 2005
the above isn't even the complete memo...
Apr 11th 2005
Apr 11th 2005
Lol nice
Apr 11th 2005
there's nothing bogus about it. do your research
Apr 11th 2005
co sign
Apr 11th 2005
And what the hell are you co-signing about?
Apr 11th 2005
      so basically
Apr 12th 2005
           Poor mentality is a problem, but it is not I who is suffering...
Apr 12th 2005
                so basically u arent providing any proof
Apr 12th 2005
                     No because somebody isn't interested in the truth...
Apr 12th 2005
                          dude. seriously...
Apr 12th 2005
Apr 11th 2005
prove it
Apr 12th 2005
      did you somehow miss all the posts below??
Apr 12th 2005
      RE: did you somehow miss all the posts below??
Apr 12th 2005
           why are you ostriching so hard?
Apr 12th 2005
                please...
Apr 12th 2005
                     do you go to college? ask ANY ECONOMICS PROFESSOR.
Apr 12th 2005
                          RE: do you go to college? ask ANY ECONOMICS PROFESSOR.
Apr 12th 2005
      Fox, your proctocologist called and said he found your head...
Apr 12th 2005
           he said it was "sarcastic"
Apr 13th 2005
                I'll give him one thing...
Apr 13th 2005
                     Notwithstanding the memo
Apr 13th 2005
what's so fake about that memo ?
Apr 12th 2005
source?
Apr 11th 2005
for the memo or what's happening in somalia?
Apr 12th 2005
      I meant the memo, but that's been done, so Somalia?
Apr 12th 2005
           colleagues in somalia
Apr 12th 2005
Here's the link
Apr 12th 2005
LMAO!!
Apr 12th 2005
Robert Rector: There is a liberal myth that poverty is bad for children.
Apr 12th 2005
The Summers shit is true
Apr 14th 2005
RE: Here's the link
Apr 12th 2005
      RE: Here's the link
Apr 12th 2005
           The Nation
Apr 12th 2005
                Meticulous research!
Apr 12th 2005
RE: Respect for posting this
Apr 12th 2005
who wants to bet...
Apr 12th 2005
*PG-13 edit*
Apr 12th 2005
      Oh yeah, absolutely no reason!!
Apr 12th 2005
           *autographs post*
Apr 14th 2005
                Yup, still dense...
Apr 14th 2005
                     this is why our mod deletes so many responses
Apr 14th 2005
                          Bullshit
Apr 14th 2005
a wave is a movement of energy, not liquid
Apr 13th 2005
yeah, basic physics kind of messes this up
Apr 14th 2005
      not all pollutants are dissolved solids
Apr 14th 2005

chief1284
Member since Nov 08th 2004
3003 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 07:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: the tsunami tragedy nobody talks about"
In response to Reply # 0

holy shit that memo is ridiculous! I ain't never liked the world bank, but that is crazy shit. Jesus. Fuck the world bank, seriously. And also about somalia, can't say I'm surprised this has got no airplay, I mean not many people prob know some people died in kenya and somalia in the tsunami! Africa once again is the forgotten continent.

------------------------------------------------------------

Check my man Lao at www.myspace.com/lazzriel

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 09:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "the above isn't even the complete memo..."
In response to Reply # 1

Lawrence Summers initially accepted responsibility for the memo, then said it was "satirical", then blamed it on an aide- saying he didn't write any of it, just signed off on it.

the truth is that this really is the way corporate globalists think. look @ what happened to Mexico's border states post-Nafta. after the memo was leaked, Brazil's then-Secretary of the Environment Jose Lutzenburge wrote the following to Summers:

"Your reasoning is perfectly logical but totally insane... Your thoughts a concrete example of the unbelievable alienation, reductionist thinking, social ruthlessness and the arrogant ignorance of many conventional 'economists' concerning the nature of the world we live in... If the World Bank keeps you as vice president it will lose all credibility. To me it would confirm what I often said... the best thing that could happen would be for the Bank to disappear."

after Mr. Lutzenburger wrote this, he was fired from his position.

«SiG»
“Stand out firmly for Justice as witness before God, even against yourselves, against your kin and against your parents, against people who are rich or poor. Do not follow your inclinations or desires lest you deviate from Justice."

foxnesn
Charter member
5240 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 08:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: the tsunami tragedy nobody talks about"
In response to Reply # 0

i have a memo that counteracts that memo!!!

DATE:FEBRUARY 18th, 1989
TO: Dr. Spangler
SUBJECT: All letters/memos you read are fake

Here are some good strategies to trick gullible activists into wasting their time so that they can continue to work their remedial jobs rather than actually give a fuck and become rich billionaires like us!

1) Send out bogus memos! Activists love to claim they obtained some 'secret' info that reveals a deep dark evil plot.

2) Always attack poor nations in these memos. Activists love to feel good about themselves. So much so, they will go to great lengths to talk about it on the internet.

3) Use the words wealth, income and economy a lot. These words drive activists up the wall!!! It doesnt matter what context they are used in, just drop the words at random and it will certainly stir the pot.

FatMatt
Member since Feb 24th 2005
359 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 08:42 PM

3. "Lol nice"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.last.fm/user/FatMatt/
http://uc.facebook.com/profile.php?id=21411471

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 08:57 PM

4. "there's nothing bogus about it. do your research"
In response to Reply # 2

google is ur friend.

«SiG»

suave_bro
Member since Nov 19th 2002
9433 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 09:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "co sign"
In response to Reply # 2

Pinko_Panther
Member since Dec 11th 2002
11808 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 10:41 PM

8. "And what the hell are you co-signing about?"
In response to Reply # 5

You obviously don't know shit about this memo because its quite famous. But as soon as someone makes up something to discredit people who are critical of the status-quo, here you come with your little co-sign. You folks seriously need an education.

suave_bro
9433 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 07:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "so basically"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Apr-12-05 08:02 AM by suave_bro

you would rather spend your time bitching than provide proof that the memo is real. gotchya.

and besides, my co sign wasn't about the article as much as it was about the mentallity that he is speaking on...you "activists" are like that. don't lie.

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:08 AM

15. "Poor mentality is a problem, but it is not I who is suffering..."
In response to Reply # 14

I would prove the validity of the memo if people like yourself would have the decency to approach me in a respectful manner and ask candidly and honestly, "Hey, this seems hard for me to believe, could you possibly show me some sort of link that validates this memo?" But no, instead you and your pro-owners-of-the-world comrade come at the topic with a hostile assumption that anything WE say is fraudulent and untruthful. You and foxesn approach such topics as if you knew something about them that the rest of us don't, yet, if you did you would be able to discredit the validity of -in this case- the memo without me having to prove its truth. Screw you buddy, I have nothing to "prove" to people like you who care more about your ideological chains than about adding to the discussion.

suave_bro
9433 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:14 AM

16. "so basically u arent providing any proof"
In response to Reply # 15

because somebody hurt your feelings?

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:26 AM

18. "No because somebody isn't interested in the truth..."
In response to Reply # 16

You are here for no other reason than hostile red-baiting. Look, I am not responsible for your lack of education or intellectual foresight. I don't need to give you anything because your purpose is not to find the truth but to remained chained to your own dellusional misconceptions about people who seek to challenge the status-quo.

suave_bro
9433 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:31 AM

19. "dude. seriously..."
In response to Reply # 18

i co-signed the mentallity that was being poked fun @ in that particular post. whether or not that "memo" is real is not even what I wanted to debate about, i just wanted to put my little co-sign up and let it be..., for some reason, my simple little "co-sign" got your panties all in a bunch,all this whining and preaching is totally unecessary...

I dont get some of you people, if there is somebody on here who is ignorant and lost and doesn't want to learn (your words) then why not let it go? shit. if anything your constant overly emotional response to a simple "co-sign" proves that posts theory about you so called "activists" more than anything...

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 10:37 PM

7. "RE: the tsunami tragedy nobody talks about"
In response to Reply # 2

Actually the memo by Lawrence Summers is quite a famous one. I think it absolutely pathetic that you can be so ideologically chained that, without any research whatsoever, you exclaim that this is bogus. Why don't you try learning something for once?

foxnesn
Charter member
5240 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 02:32 PM

22. "prove it"
In response to Reply # 7

you cant because it has no original source. sure you might post links to sites that posted the article but that doesnt make the article fake. see i could write up an article and pass it along as somebody else and get some site to publish it. if its outlandish enough like this one is some other news sites will pick up on it and write a story about it. before you know it people will think somebody actually wrote the article.

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 02:43 PM

23. "did you somehow miss all the posts below??"
In response to Reply # 22

foxnesn
Charter member
5240 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 02:48 PM

24. "RE: did you somehow miss all the posts below??"
In response to Reply # 23

thats not source material. thats just a few sites posting the article. that doesnt mean the article is real. lol. you kids crack me up with all your jibber jabber these days.

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 02:54 PM

27. "why are you ostriching so hard?"
In response to Reply # 24

read the posts for a change. this is getting almost as bad as the time you arrogantly argued about Venezuela.

«SiG»

foxnesn
Charter member
5240 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 03:20 PM

28. "please..."
In response to Reply # 27

you know you cant prove that it is real. don't be mad that i exposed you as a gullible activist.

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 04:11 PM

30. "do you go to college? ask ANY ECONOMICS PROFESSOR."
In response to Reply # 28

good lord. you seriously don't read, do you? i go to the University of Texas @ Austin, which has one of the nation's top 10 business programs, and top 5 among public schools. this shit is mentioned in practically every developmental economics course.

take pinko panther's advice and hit up the library archives for reports on this memo. your attitude was what turned me off to even trying to reason this w/ you

«SiG»

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 04:23 PM

31. "RE: do you go to college? ask ANY ECONOMICS PROFESSOR."
In response to Reply # 30

I even posted an exam question from a upper level Econ class at the University of Colorado! Econ. profs don't parrot leftist causes, there is more to this memo that fox seems to fear.

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 04:05 PM

29. "Fox, your proctocologist called and said he found your head..."
In response to Reply # 22

Actually Lawrence Summers himself admitted to writing the memo and try to make up some excuse to apologize for it. Its not our fault that you are ignorant.

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Wed Apr-13-05 05:17 AM

38. "he said it was "sarcastic""
In response to Reply # 29

«SiG»

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Wed Apr-13-05 05:31 AM

39. "I'll give him one thing..."
In response to Reply # 38

You have to be sarcastic to honestly believe in capitalism as a system that is just...

moot_point
Member since Mar 22nd 2005
3842 posts
Wed Apr-13-05 05:35 AM

40. "Notwithstanding the memo"
In response to Reply # 39

to which I offer no support...

...I'd happily be a rich sarcastic bastard!

afrobongo
Charter member
33968 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 04:13 AM

11. "what's so fake about that memo ?"
In response to Reply # 2

i mean it's not like the idea of a pollution rights market haven't been discussed before...

*TWINNING*

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Mon Apr-11-05 11:44 PM

9. "source?"
In response to Reply # 0

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 12:35 AM

10. "for the memo or what's happening in somalia?"
In response to Reply # 9

«SiG»

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:36 PM

35. "I meant the memo, but that's been done, so Somalia?"
In response to Reply # 10

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 09:09 PM

36. "colleagues in somalia"
In response to Reply # 35

«SiG»

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 07:27 AM

12. "Here's the link"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.whirledbank.org/ourwords/summers.html

For the doubters and naysayers.

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

suave_bro
9433 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 07:55 AM

13. "LMAO!!"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Apr-12-05 07:56 AM by suave_bro

"our dream is a world full of poverty"

gimme a break, so you want us to read a REAL memo from a FAKE/SATIRICAL web site!?...I'm gonna start posting news articles from chuckycheese.com...

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 02:52 PM

26. "Robert Rector: There is a liberal myth that poverty is bad for children."
In response to Reply # 13

this clown is the "welfare, poverty, & marriage expert" of the Heritage Foundation.

http://www.heritage.org/About/Staff/RobertRector.cfm

«SiG»

IvyLeagueNegro
Member since Jul 20th 2003
1902 posts
Thu Apr-14-05 02:38 AM

42. "The Summers shit is true"
In response to Reply # 13

Im reading about it in class right now.

****SIG!******
DO DA DAMN THING NUKKA! http://www.freephotoiPods.com/?r=13236380

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:23 AM

17. "RE: Here's the link"
In response to Reply # 12

Here are a variety of links on the memo:

*Counter Punch: http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/envronmt/summers.htm

*Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Summers#Controversies

*Left Business Observer: http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Summers.html

*Boston Magazine: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/ArticleDisplay.php?id=517&print=yes

Also, The Economist wrote a big article on this in 1992 but since this was pre-internet, the article is not available online. If anyone is interested in the topic for reasons other than red-baiting I'm sure you can find the article archived somewhere at your local library. Peace.

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:36 AM

20. "RE: Here's the link"
In response to Reply # 17

Iteresting exam question from an Economics class at the University of Colorado:

http://www.colorado.edu/Economics/courses/mobarak/4784%20Homework%202%20fall04.pdf

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:38 AM

21. "The Nation"
In response to Reply # 20

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml%3Fi=20010618&s=bivens20010605

moot_point
Member since Mar 22nd 2005
3842 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 02:52 PM

25. "Meticulous research!"
In response to Reply # 21

If this story is true and I am becoming increasing convinced then Lutzenburger provides the perfect response;

'After the memo became public in February 1992, Brazil's then-Secretary of the Environment Jose Lutzenburger wrote back to Summers: "Your reasoning is perfectly logical but totally insane... Your thoughts a concrete example of the unbelievable alienation, reductionist thinking, social ruthlessness and the arrogant ignorance of many conventional 'economists' concerning the nature of the world we live in... If the World Bank keeps you as vice president it will lose all credibility. To me it would confirm what I often said... the best thing that could happen would be for the Bank to disappear." Sadly, Mr. Lutzenburger was fired shortly after writing this letter.'

It brings a sick feeling to my stomach.

Rexdale
Member since May 20th 2002
626 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 06:47 PM

32. "RE: Respect for posting this"
In response to Reply # 0

This is true ya'll, it's not secrete that not only do ships dump toxins just off Somalia, but many fishing companies snatch up all the fish. What do you expect, Somalia has not a government for over a decade, and plus, even it did, it would not have the resources to stop things liek this from happening.

chief1284
Member since Nov 08th 2004
3003 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 07:36 PM

33. "who wants to bet..."
In response to Reply # 0

either foxnesn or suave are at this very moment searching the net for some sort of bullshit rebuttal of that memo on some dumb-ass liberal bashing site?

------------------------------------------------------------

Check my man Lao at www.myspace.com/lazzriel

suave_bro
9433 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 08:34 PM

34. "*PG-13 edit*"
In response to Reply # 33
Tue Apr-12-05 08:36 PM by suave_bro

I seriously do not care. but thanks for tossing my name out there for no reason at all...

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Apr-12-05 10:02 PM

37. "Oh yeah, absolutely no reason!!"
In response to Reply # 34

"Boo, hoo, why are they throwing my name in for no reason? I'm such a victim because I never antagonize anyone or act a fool ever..." You really don't prove as much as you sometimes think you're proving other than the fact of how dense you are.

suave_bro
9433 posts
Thu Apr-14-05 07:55 AM

44. "*autographs post*"
In response to Reply # 37
Thu Apr-14-05 07:55 AM by suave_bro

to...strange...man...who...has...become...obsessed...*dot*

there ya go kid!

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Thu Apr-14-05 08:34 AM

45. "Yup, still dense..."
In response to Reply # 44

but thanks for confirming it.

suave_bro
9433 posts
Thu Apr-14-05 08:59 AM

46. "this is why our mod deletes so many responses"
In response to Reply # 45

man seriously. show me where i went into a topic, then totally ignored the topic at hand to respond on how i "feel" about YOU. seriously, go back a few pages or so and show me. i mean you haven't had that great of an impact on my life nor my experience here on okayplayer.com for me to do that...can YOU say the same? *sigh* case rested.

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Thu Apr-14-05 03:59 PM

48. "Bullshit"
In response to Reply # 46
Thu Apr-14-05 04:01 PM by Pinko_Panther

You hypocrite! You came into this topic by essentially co-signing an accusation that all of us on the left are liars who fabricate memos to make a point. Talk about ignoring a topic at hand and responding on how you "feel" about others. The only reason I responded to you is because you and your little boyfriend fox came in here without any interest in learning about the topic at hand but in order to defame the rest of us who are interested. Next time you don't agree, put an argument forward. I think in posts where you have done so, I have argued with you without venom. Its where you jump in acting like a complete dick that I call you on it. When you are a dick, it disrupts the progress of discussion on the topic and that is something our mod, FIREBRAND, should call you on.

>man seriously. show me where i went into a topic, then
>totally ignored the topic at hand to respond on how i "feel"
>about YOU. seriously, go back a few pages or so and show me. i
>mean you haven't had that great of an impact on my life nor my
>experience here on okayplayer.com for me to do that...can YOU
>say the same? *sigh* case rested.

The Damaja
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
18637 posts
Wed Apr-13-05 08:07 AM

41. "a wave is a movement of energy, not liquid"
In response to Reply # 0

just cause there's a tsunami in the middle of the ocean, doesn't mean the stuff in the middle will get washed shoreward (unless it's solid objects). It's not the same water 100m from the epicentre as it is 100 miles

i think

tohunga
Charter member
32613 posts
Thu Apr-14-05 06:40 AM

43. "yeah, basic physics kind of messes this up"
In response to Reply # 41

i wasn't gonna bring it up, but hey....

a wave passing through a body of water isn't actually moving water-- it's a 'wave' of energy making water particles move vertically, but not really far in a lateral direction-- that would be the currents that do that.

and the major currents in the India Ocean-- it's funny, I've been researching this for a novel- run south, down the east coast of Africa, and then circulate eastwards, across the southern half of the ocean-- so any rubbish suspended in the upper layer of water off the east coast of Africa would eventually hit the west coast of Australia.

anything floating on the surface would be pushed westwards by the wind, until it got to 10 degrees north or south of the equator, where the trade winds would push it east again

sorry z, but geography and physics don't back this up...

and in most other terms, Aceh is still more screwed than Somalia by this disaster

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Thu Apr-14-05 02:38 PM

47. "not all pollutants are dissolved solids"
In response to Reply # 43
Thu Apr-14-05 03:05 PM by zewari

edit: check out the behavior of sediments in a tsunami

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #29617 Previous topic | Next topic