Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #28790

Subject: "Personal is Political: Engagement Rings ..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Fiver
Member since Oct 18th 2004
1090 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 07:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Personal is Political: Engagement Rings ..."

yes, it's the tradition to go and shell out some serious loot for an engagement ring. however, knowing that you'd be supporting the diamond trade by purchasing an engagement ring and indirectly approving the torture of thousands of people in Africa, does it weigh heavily in your mind?

i haven't needed to face the issue myself, but i do see rings on the finger and think "they should also carry an African boy's hobbled foot in their purse." soo really, American Tradition vs. Global Care: who wins in your mind?

sidenote: i understand you can buy antique rings so the money goes nowhere near the current diamondmongers - BUT - doesn't that still perpetuate the cultural necessity for diamonds?

grendel has had an accident, so may you all.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I wouldn't buy one.
Feb 08th 2005
This is an easy point to make to a male dominated board
Feb 08th 2005
it was intended for women and men...
Feb 08th 2005
it's just not intended for females anymore...
Feb 08th 2005
Everything is political
Feb 08th 2005
of all the blinging done on BET
Feb 08th 2005
the "bling" is more a fad than a tradition
Feb 08th 2005
      err...the people of sierra leonne slave just the same
Feb 08th 2005
      understood...but let's try not to bicker over the example...
Feb 08th 2005
      Yeah, there were no diamonds before Puffy...
Feb 09th 2005
RE: Personal is Political: Engagement Rings ...
Feb 08th 2005
besides antique rings...
Feb 08th 2005
      There are man-made diamonds
Feb 09th 2005
      Here's where you can find a list of diamond dealers
Mar 07th 2005
just pay your fucking taxes, kiddd
Feb 09th 2005
Blank...
Feb 09th 2005
Personally I refuse to buy them. and I tell people
Mar 05th 2005
There's this frontline
Mar 05th 2005
agreed. but what of those people that believe in
Mar 05th 2005
      For those who gotta have a diamond
Mar 06th 2005
           Buy one without diamonds
Mar 06th 2005
                RE: Buy one without diamonds
Mar 06th 2005
'non-conflict diamonds'
Mar 07th 2005
I have looked into non conflict diamonds......
Mar 07th 2005
That DeBeers ad pissed me off.
Mar 07th 2005

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 08:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I wouldn't buy one."
In response to Reply # 0

The main reason is that which you mentioned. Another issue, which is relevant as a point of principle if not of morality, is the fact that DeBeers was able to largely manufacture the demand *after* capturing an incredible monopoly over the supply. If you look at any culture in the world where this diamond tradition exists, it likely started with an enormous DeBeers marketing campaign.

I might be tempted to consider a synthetic diamond. As the technology improves, they could provide a mass-market alternative to blood diamonds. I have no idea whether the mystique of natural diamonds could transfer to synthetics. But my guess is that it could, since at one time this mystique didn't exist at all. I mean, if it came to be understood that the only difference between natural diamonds and unnatural ones is the fact that natural ones come at the cost of natural lives, I think most people would ask for unnatural ones. Or better yet, rethink their traditions entirely.

solomon13
Member since Oct 21st 2004
1149 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 08:55 AM

2. "This is an easy point to make to a male dominated board"
In response to Reply # 0

Take this over to GD and see what the females say. I suspect you'll see how intractable the "diamond culture" is. Not that I disagree with you, for that very same reason I do not buy gold, but those of us concsious enough and compassionate enough to act on this are few.

------------------------------
This one chick tried to Billy Jean me, but I was wearing TWO rubbers, so name that nigga Houdini! - Rass Kass

This is just a blk man's reality. He can change the course of mighty rivers and bend steel with his bare hands bu

Fiver
1090 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 09:07 AM

3. "it was intended for women and men..."
In response to Reply # 2

since men usually buy the shit, but largely due to the expectation from women (forgive the generalization).

blaKsK3L3ton
Member since Jan 18th 2005
377 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 09:18 AM

4. "it's just not intended for females anymore..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hiphop and the rest of pop-culture artists and celebrities put pressure on the public to keep up with a diamond accessory or two. Main culprit or dare I say, public enemy #1: P.Diddy. he's probably got a whole village suffering for his extensive jewelry collection.

(c)2005: The Year of the Trife

i dont give a fuck, when you think its ugly out, i'll be stomping on the streets...
just because the sun is out dont mean i wanna be all up under the motherfucker.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 09:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Everything is political"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-08-05 09:35 AM

Our (western, American) cultural status quo supports all kinds of things that cause oppression somewhere else in the world. I find I have to question everything that is considered the "norm" (tradition). So I don't do certain things like wear gold or diamonds. It was a conscious decision and not about deprivation and I am the only one in my family who thinks like this. My mother encouraged this and I do think it is the role of parents (and educators) to encourage their children to think more critically about what they do, what messages are out there (media), and what they buy.

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

suave_bro
Member since Nov 19th 2002
9433 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 09:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "of all the blinging done on BET"
In response to Reply # 0

you wanna talk about engagement rings....WTF?

Fiver
1090 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 09:56 AM

7. "the "bling" is more a fad than a tradition"
In response to Reply # 6

when the bling dies, the necessity of an engagement ring will still stand strong.

like, make-up is still used after glam-rock and hair metal.

suave_bro
Member since Nov 19th 2002
9433 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 10:03 AM

8. "err...the people of sierra leonne slave just the same"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Feb-08-05 10:11 AM

over these diamonds whether they last 3 centuries, 3 days, or 3 weeks...

but let me see what your argument is: people wearing engagement rings is far worse than black people in america bling blinging in videos, at awards shows, singing about the bling in songs, raps etc.? and that because bling bling is just a "fad" (which it isnt) its not as important...seeing how black folks in sierra leonne are losing limbs over the same diamonds no matter whose finger they are on, i dont see the relevance of that point...

do u honestly believe that an engagement ring (ONE DIAMOND) is worse than THIS shit!?!

http://www.geocities.com/birosts/sq-allen-iverson-cover-uni.jpg

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/gifs3/0426bling1.jpg

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ayj/blingteeth.jpg

Fiver
1090 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 10:18 AM

9. "understood...but let's try not to bicker over the example..."
In response to Reply # 8

>and that because bling bling is
>just a "fad" (which it isnt)

right, it's not akin to a fad: that's why i still wear a clock and africa medallions, and FAT gold chains, and one mesh glove. oh wait, i don't.

>do u honestly believe that an engagement ring (ONE DIAMOND)
>is worse than THIS shit!?!

i believe people buying diamonds for engagement, wedding anniversaries, retirement gifts, etc. will last a lot longer than the "bling" of today. granted, blingin' is definitely part of the problem, but i think in the long-run, the expected purchasing of jewelry outweighs the bling-obsession of today: unless your grandma is showing you her blinged-out medallion she got in 1926 (in those special cases, i'm wrong).

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Feb-09-05 10:27 AM

15. "Yeah, there were no diamonds before Puffy..."
In response to Reply # 7

People will always be buying diamond jewelry, or jewelry that will proft people who abuse their workers (I'm sure most gold mines aren't the best places to work.)

Why not just answer the question? Why did you come up with engagement rings? Or are you trying to find a political excuse to get out of a personal problem?

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Deselune
Member since Aug 12th 2003
236 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 11:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RE: Personal is Political: Engagement Rings ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Regardless of what the setting is ring or not you can get diamonds that are non conflict or non blood diamonds. Call me a silly girl but I want my damn engagement ring, blood free of course, but I'd take another kind of stone.

Fiver
1090 posts
Tue Feb-08-05 12:20 PM

11. "besides antique rings..."
In response to Reply # 10

...what are the other options? help us. where does one turn?

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Wed Feb-09-05 02:41 AM

12. "There are man-made diamonds"
In response to Reply # 11

A couple companies create diamonds through the application of pressure and heat to carbon. They can create diamonds just as good as those dug from the earth and are 30% cheaper. Here's a link to a story about them: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/8205/8205diamonds.html

I mentioned this all to my gf and she replied "What is that, cubic zirconia? I don't want an imitation. A real diamond is from the earth".

I think man-made diamonds could destablize the whole diamond mining industry but as long as my gf's viewpoint is prevalent (which I believe it is), man-made diamonds won't be a viable option to most consumers.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Deselune
Member since Aug 12th 2003
236 posts
Mon Mar-07-05 12:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Here's where you can find a list of diamond dealers"
In response to Reply # 11
Mon Mar-07-05 12:10 PM

http://www.phrusa.org/campaigns/sierra_leone/jewelers_display.php?order_by=store_name

chrisdefendorf
Member since Dec 27th 2004
1731 posts
Wed Feb-09-05 10:19 AM

13. "just pay your fucking taxes, kiddd"
In response to Reply # 0

mother's worry...

diamonds are consciousnessess too. stop punishing your diamonds, you need to listen to crisis of martyrhood dub
comming soon

NIGHTLY REPORTS ON MY
REALITY EXPLORATION/CREATION on
my
blog (updated during the day, and
then finished at 11PM EST)

PEACE,
Christopher (the name means
"chris... Dear Friend") Defendorf (the
name mean
"Raspberry" nahmean)

http://profiles.myspace.com/users/

you don't need to know my sig, because you know my steez. I have left okayplayer and

and and and

you don't need to know.

myspace.com/raspberry

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Feb-09-05 10:22 AM

14. "Blank..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-09-05 10:23 AM

Nevermind

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Sat Mar-05-05 08:33 AM

16. "Personally I refuse to buy them. and I tell people"
In response to Reply # 0

about blood diamonds. they ask me what my fiancee says, and I tell them the truth. She is more against it that I am.

time passes, you get so you
depend on 'em. That's
"institutionalized."

Red, The Shawshank Redemption.

"Slaves got options...cowards aint got shit." --PS
"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sat Mar-05-05 08:40 PM

17. "There's this frontline"
In response to Reply # 0

documentary about the histoery of the diamond trade and how the demand for engagement rings was manufactured by 1930's hollywood. So, nah...fuck diamonds, engagement or otherwise.

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Sat Mar-05-05 08:59 PM

18. "agreed. but what of those people that believe in"
In response to Reply # 17

tradition?

There are ways to make manufactured diamonds. They have machines for that now.

what of that process?

time passes, you get so you
depend on 'em. That's
"institutionalized."

Red, The Shawshank Redemption.

"Slaves got options...cowards aint got shit." --PS
"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun Mar-06-05 10:22 AM

19. "For those who gotta have a diamond"
In response to Reply # 18

I got no beef with the manmade ones...

Benzinos Little Helper
Member since Jan 16th 2005
54 posts
Sun Mar-06-05 05:59 PM

20. "Buy one without diamonds"
In response to Reply # 19

Who says an engagement ring has to have diamonds?

deafening_silence
Member since Oct 18th 2002
279 posts
Sun Mar-06-05 06:59 PM

21. "RE: Buy one without diamonds"
In response to Reply # 20

Exactly...a ring doesn't need diamonds to be beautiful... a man shouldn't have to present the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with diamonds to truly show how much he loves her... it's things like diamonds and all the other fancy things that take away the real importance of the event...

love2000
Charter member
2905 posts
Mon Mar-07-05 08:12 AM

22. "'non-conflict diamonds'"
In response to Reply # 0

because I sure planned on using this as an argument to reject buying a ring one day...

BlakGirlSoul
Member since May 21st 2002
14430 posts
Mon Mar-07-05 11:16 AM

24. "I have looked into non conflict diamonds......"
In response to Reply # 22

and that is what I have requested from my S.O.
Laying next to you with my arms around you in the morning is too good to be true, and I cherish it completely.
You and I are best friends , and hopefully lovers for life
If this was a mistake...its the best one GOD ever made ~my mayne

Sh*t that I just LOVE.......
~I love black college bands - THEY ROCK
~I love playing my music loud in my car - scares whitey
~I love the scent of my man - *sniff*
~I love love love love love to Dance - I am the Dancing Machine

She toss a mean salad too ~B Block

"I wanna save the world and niggas too." ~Me

Check This Out: www.verbalisms.com
http://soulofablackgirl.blogspot.com

<--- Welcome Home Baby!!!!
http://blackgirlsdontdate.blogspot.com
Black Girls Don't Date - Coming soon!

Battousai
Charter member
4386 posts
Mon Mar-07-05 10:45 AM

23. "That DeBeers ad pissed me off."
In response to Reply # 0

"Make three months' salary last forever by buying a diamond ring? Thanks to the ring, IT'S ALREADY GONE, ASSHOLE!"

There's victimization on both ends. People are getting killed over control of diamond production, and people are getting ripped off over conspicuous consumption.

My fiancee-to-be will get a ring-pop.

--

Your San Francisco Giants: 4.26.2005 - 8.15.2005.

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #28790 Previous topic | Next topic