Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #25013

Subject: "NATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 08:56 AM

"NATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING..."

May your servant be authorized to use the status that old age affords to teach to the hearers, so as to tell them the words of those who have listened to the ways of our ancestors, and those who have listened to the Gods. May I do this for you so that strife may be banned from among our people, and so that the two shores may serve you. -Ptah Hotep, 2,350 B.C.E, Kemet

After reading the entire book SBA: THE REAWAKENING OF THE AFRICAN MIND, by Asa G. Hilliard, III, I decided to have a discussion with Solarus about the concepts and procedures for creating schools for African children. This has long been part of both our personal goals, him majoring in psychology and early child development and me in mathematics/computer science. Over the course of the 3 hour conversation taking place all over the campus of Howard University we discussed such aspects as physical building of the school, maintenance, finance, community involvement, and basic principals of the type of school we want to run. The discussion was one worthy of sharing on the boards, so as soon as he sees it and respond, i hope that we can add to some of the ideas in order to refine what WILL eventually manifest.

In educating Africans, SBA, is indispensable as a primer on how to and how to NOT educate african children and people. Asa Hilliard is brilliant in his statements from reaching as far back as Ptah Hotep's teachings on how to listen to Ayi Kwei Armah in West Africa and his views on the Education and Socialization Process. For anyone interested in the education of future African Warrior Scholars this text is mandatory.

Some of the main points in our conversation were:

SELF SUFFICIENCY OF THE SCHOOL, too many african charter schools are closed due to lack of funding. We want to find ways around this through self sufficiency in every respect.

TEACHING STRATEGIES OF THE SCHOOL, African values and history provided to give students a "wholistic" education.

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT IN THE SCHOOL, Having the school as the nexus of the community, the center of the circle, without which the community cannot exist.

SCHOOL'S ULTIMATE FUNCTION, to produce a caliber of spiritual, mental, physical, socially, culturally aware people capable of survival in any environment while pushing the limits of human capability. In this building, the inevitable destruction of today's problems(i.e. western culture) will come.

RESPOND/REACT

(((((PEACE)))))

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
HOW NOT TO LIVE
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
Earthships
Mar 11th 2005
My girl
Mar 05th 2001
another
Mar 05th 2001
Yep
Mar 05th 2001
TRUE INDEPENDENCE
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
Needed
Mar 05th 2001
Ideal
Mar 05th 2001
      Ideal
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
           My thing
Mar 05th 2001
WE NEED YOU
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
New BPP
Mar 05th 2001
      I FEEL YOU.
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
RE: My girl
Mar 14th 2005
What grades are you targeting?
Mar 05th 2001
What grades are you targeting?
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
      The community center bridge
Mar 05th 2001
      Accredidation?
Mar 05th 2001
      GOOD POINT
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
      RE: What grades are you targeting?
Mar 05th 2001
SPECIFIC CLASSES
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
More Classes
Mar 05th 2001
excellent curriculum n/m
Mar 06th 2001
NATION BUILDING
Mar 05th 2001
RE: NATION BUILDING
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
      ideas...
Mar 05th 2001
      REMEMBER...
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
      Digging Wells is easy
Mar 06th 2001
Isn't it sad...
Mar 05th 2001
Is it Sad?
dittyman
Mar 05th 2001
      i agree
Mar 06th 2001
           We were proved wrong...
Mar 07th 2001
PROBLEMS IN AMERICAN EDUCTION
utamaroho
Mar 05th 2001
WHY THIS WAY FAILS US.
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
Thinking backwards to the future
Mar 05th 2001
Utamaroho...
Mar 05th 2001
THIS IS BEAUTIFUL
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
      RE: THIS IS BEAUTIFUL (it really is)!
NeTeR
Mar 06th 2001
Special Education?
Mar 06th 2001
SPECIAL EDUCATION?
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
generally defined as
Mar 06th 2001
      RIGHT NOW...
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
           Umm no.
Mar 06th 2001
           RE: Umm no.
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
           I agree...
Mar 06th 2001
           Lead poisoning
Mar 06th 2001
           RE: RIGHT NOW...
Mar 15th 2005
LONG TERM
Mar 06th 2001
      I agree
Mar 06th 2001
INTEGRATION IS NOT QUALITY
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
RE: INTEGRATION IS NOT QUALITY
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
      RE: INTEGRATION IS NOT QUALITY
Mar 06th 2001
      technology...
Mar 06th 2001
           not a response to 'integration'
Mar 06th 2001
           RE: technology...
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
                technology
Mar 06th 2001
      CAN REVOLUTIONARY INTEGRATION = QUALITY?
Mar 07th 2001
           Cultural solidarity
Mar 08th 2001
           Different directions
Mar 08th 2001
                RE: Different directions
Mar 08th 2001
                     RE: Different directions
Mar 08th 2001
           damn sorry i missed this thread..
Mar 27th 2001
Initially startup
Mar 06th 2001
EXCELLENCE
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
RE: NATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING...
iNi
Mar 06th 2001
Peace and Blessings
Mar 06th 2001
      FIRST TIME
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
      RE: Peace and Blessings
iNi
Mar 06th 2001
           THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
           RE: Peace and Blessings
Mar 06th 2001
Community Networking
Mar 06th 2001
RE: Community Networking
utamaroho
Mar 06th 2001
      RE: Community Networking
Mar 06th 2001
      The Internet and Self Sufficiency
Mar 06th 2001
           HOWEVER
utamaroho
Mar 07th 2001
                I considered that...
Mar 07th 2001
                     CURRENCY
utamaroho
Mar 07th 2001
                          RE: CURRENCY
Mar 07th 2001
                               RE: CURRENCY
utamaroho
Mar 07th 2001
Guidance from an Elder
Mar 07th 2001
RE: Guidance from an Elder
Mar 08th 2001
Mar 08th 2001
Mar 08th 2001
academic resources
Mar 07th 2001
More on Self-sufficiency & the Net
Mar 07th 2001
what about this?
utamaroho
Mar 07th 2001
      # 68, "I considered that..."
Mar 07th 2001
      RE: what about this?
Mar 07th 2001
           I UNDERSTAND
utamaroho
Mar 07th 2001
                RE: I UNDERSTAND
Mar 07th 2001
                there are enough people
utamaroho
Mar 08th 2001
                RE: I UNDERSTAND
Mar 08th 2001
I'm a product
Concept427
Mar 08th 2001
which one, where at?
utamaroho
Mar 08th 2001
Sankofa Conference
Mar 27th 2001
sounds interesting...
Mar 28th 2001
      More info
Mar 29th 2001
           thanks n/m
Mar 30th 2001
                RE: thanks n/m
utamaroho
Apr 04th 2001
                     no...baltimore n/m
Apr 05th 2001
A GATHERING OF MEN
utamaroho
Mar 28th 2001
I missed this?!?
thurmanhall
Mar 28th 2001
hopefully
utamaroho
Mar 29th 2001
2001?
Mar 10th 2005
      lol...in case u aint read the date stamp, this post was made
Mar 10th 2005
           hahahahahahah
Mar 11th 2005
Mar 28th 2001
Very Much Appreciated
Mar 28th 2001
      you're right
utamaroho
Mar 28th 2001
           would like some feedback..
makedax
Mar 28th 2001
My goodness!
queenmothersista
Mar 28th 2001
CROCODILE HUNTER
Mar 29th 2001
masani
Apr 05th 2001
WORLD history as well as african history n/m
Apr 12th 2001
lol...this archive shit is like crack.
Mar 09th 2005
you had me befuddled as hell.
Mar 10th 2005
Wow
Mar 11th 2005
      namean? Like, serious for REAL.
Mar 14th 2005
who reposted this?
Mar 10th 2005
The archives are LIVE, son.
Mar 10th 2005
      surely this is a sign...
Mar 14th 2005
           well, they aint live no more. But hey. This was nice
Mar 15th 2005
RE: I am curious,
Mar 15th 2005
great post
Mar 15th 2005

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 09:26 AM

1. "HOW NOT TO LIVE"
In response to Reply # 0

Perhaps there should also be added:

HOW NOT TO TEACH/LEARN, recognizing the failure of the current existing systems in order to not reapeat them.

Someone emailed me about the "Is There Anything good From Europe" post and said that there is at least ONE thing that can be learned from that culture, "HOW NOT TO LIVE". Others have said something similar along the same lines, that maybe all of the events of the MAAFA (meaning disaster, i.e. transatlantic slave trade) were part of the divine cycle to push us to higher levels. For african people struggle is considered good because one comes back stronger from it. If nothing else, the correct, right and exact way to do things could be learned simply froom observing those not living right and exact. There are so many aspects of the current school system at the fundamental level that it cannot be hard to see the core concepts are not african based and thus need to be changed by us. If not african people will continue to be miseducated continually and move further and further away from our way of life.

(((((PEACE)))))

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Fri Mar-11-05 06:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
115. "Earthships"
In response to Reply # 1

http://216.198.243.200/passage11/Strategy/Project/Earthship.htm

This look at building structures using recycled materials may add to the theme of this thread. There are many possibilites that can be explored.

You might want to GOOGLE :
Earthship or
Self sustaining structures as well as
building w/recycled materials
yada yada yada.

There are a few homes that appear to have been built with recycled materials in ATL around the Grant Park/ Moreland Ave areas ( navigate around Constitution and residental roads). I am sure there are codes and permits to overcome.blah

As far as education u might want to look at GA Homeschooling laws & Charter Schools etc. and how you can work around them.

As far as Grouping people, it is good to get a group of like minded people who have mastered different skills. The Community can then learn a little(or a lot) about everything it takes to stand on its own. But all of this you all know already.

Great Topic!

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 09:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "My girl"
In response to Reply # 0

Being a early childhood education major at Morris Brown wants to start a school as well... we talk about the this all the time..

Social Responsibilty and Funding:
Think a speak freely in saying that most Afrikan cannot afford private instutitions of learning. A problem that I always considered is that many of the families that can do not enroll their children in Afrikan centered schools, choosing the Western standard schools and or religious schools. Well their were to things we want to accomplish with a school one to make it affordable for the parents of the children who could not afford it and two make it attractive for the parents of the children who could afford it. We both feel it neccessary to have the have and the have not mesh at the institution, building a since of community and planting seeds for the battle to come.
She really is not a businesswoman and does not have an idea of how to work a successful business in the Western cocept, something many black business fail to realize, I do have that knowledge being that I work and was educated in business.
One of my suggestions was for her to join an organization of broad influence and networking.(ie a greek letter organization) The Delta's and AKA's both wanted her since she was known on campus and the head of her department organization. I felt that she would be able to influence the women in favor of supporting the school easier and naturally have a network of women, children to support the school. She conflicts with the principles of the organizations and ,being a former member of Society of MAAT, could not support the organizations in her heart. I understand that, but could it not have been a good vehicle to help change mindstates. She also does hair, so I suggested that she could get a licence and open a natural hair and beauty salon that could help fund the school, while I could open a convience store or market that could in conjuction support the funding the school themselves. It is most important that the school be completely self sufficient and operate if possible as an Afrikan/Western firm. Western in operations and business and Afrikan in all other aspects.... I am open to ideas

peace..

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 10:14 AM

3. "another"
In response to Reply # 2

was to incorporate adult activities into the school. becoming more a community center. including courses, such as computer training and ceritification, job placement, physical training, gym, and self defence classes at a fee. helping fund the school..

peace..

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 02:34 PM

21. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 3

Hotep

I just read this (see post #18). Having a business (or businesses) support the school is fundamental, that is, businesses that inextricably tied to the school. To make it more poignant, businesses that EXIST explicitly for the betterment of the school.

One point though: Having Deltas and/or Greek-letter fraternities and sororities be tied to the school is potentially dangerous. The basis of these organizations is NOT Afrikan-centered.

Also:
1. Looking at the history of how these organizations were founded,
2. Ancient groups in which they model themselves after,
3.AND the large-scale contemporary actions of these organizations and its members when concerning the Black community

leads one to suspect HOW beneficial they would be to an Afrikan-centered school. I am not ostracizing these members at all but I am cautioning the creation of a financial lifeline to these organization. Help is always needed but to have the organization itself possess ANY type of influence on the direction of the school MUST BE SEVERED. The participation of members as individuals and not the organization as a whole is welcomed.

PEace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 10:20 AM

4. "TRUE INDEPENDENCE"
In response to Reply # 2

Solarus and I were standing in Howard's yard when the idea of including businesses in finance of the school. My ideals aer more idealistic his more connected to the reality in which we live. In my view, there would be no need for money for any purpose other than paying land taxes. period. total self-sufficiency means being in control and involved in the production of all aspects of one's livihood. In the nearby restaraunt "Delights of the Garden" ten brothers from Morehouse and the Brotherhood of KMT came together to start a business. Likewise my solution for the financial genesis for this type pf school is one where people of like minds come together and provide the initial start up of the institution. As Solarus puts it, the process would go like this:

1) like mided individuals come together

2) come up with plan

3) come together (geograhically that is, when people are scattered it makes it that much harder to produce the communal effect which is an inextricable part of the creation and sustaining of the school)

4) build

Back to the finance, money would be a one time thing only (in my idealised mind) why buy something that you know you'd keep buying veersus buying the tools to sustain oneself. Morehouse begs for money because it produces none of what it needs. HBCU's are at the mercy of benefactors that may or may not have their best interests in mind. Say I get that million from Ted Turner every year, and then do something to fall out of grace with his agenda, like tlak about the effects of his programming and company on Atlanta blacks. That's 1 million i've come to expect and am hurt by when it doesn't continue to flow in. Asking the delta's (especially when they're on the annihilate list) can never help. When you ask your enemies for help, you become a slave. That which has enslaved you (money) can never make you free. As Crawford said, never let there be anything that you put above your freedom, there should be nothing that one should have to NEED outside of self. I'm speaking on highly unorthodox procedures and solutions. In my thinking I purposely steer away from current practices (i.e. asking for money, rallies, and such) in attempt to define my own reality, i.e. TRUE POWER. I'd love to hear her viewpoints though. I am trying to get as much information on community building/education.

cued
Charter member
1748 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 10:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Needed"
In response to Reply # 4

Hey, where you say that your ideas are idealistic while his are realistic, know this, both are NEEDED...

Balance. Maybe his realism can have your idealism manifest. Ever think of that?

*winks*

Peace,

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"When the revolution comes, "faggots" won't be so funny." - The Last Poets

** Most people mis-read this line. I don't think he is being homophobic. I think he's making sure you folks know, within our communities, those of you who laugh at

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 11:12 AM

11. "Ideal"
In response to Reply # 4

It's more to running the business than to buy the land and or facilities for the business to run... It has to continue to operate and function. Considering that we do live and operate under this Western system, initial startup will not due in the long run. Crisis occurs, bills increase, membership rises and falls, many of monkey wrench can be thrown into the program to add hurdles into it's existance. The problem with most Afrikan Centered School is that they are ill prepared for the hurdles and do not adept to change. another is that they "preach to the choir" and become almost elitist ignoring that many of the people who really desperately need to hear the message, but that is off subject. Funding is very important and that is why the school has to be a complete self sufficient entity with it's own resources and wealth. Funding would be brought and surplused with the profits of the development of investments and those resources such as feeder businesses (small businesses), stock options (yes, stock options), and land ownership (facilities, housing, apartments). while non of this would be overnight objectives it is imperiative that these initiatives take place. this money circulation would maintain and grow the school in it's entirety... so it would not turn into a telethon of begging for money and resources....

peace..

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 11:59 AM

14. "Ideal"
In response to Reply # 11

>>Funding would be brought and surplused with the profits of the development of investments and those resources such as feeder businesses (small businesses), stock options (yes, stock options), and land ownership (facilities, housing, apartments).

On the right track, in another post on here I was speaking of businesses owned by the founders of the school. About the costs? well, me the idealist looks at things in just that way, IDEALISTICALLY.

POWER, solar power and a member of the faculty, well versed in it's operation, maintenance, upgrade, to handle it. Georgia Power, outta here.

FOOD, incorporation of desparately in need Black farmers, two birds with one stone. They need business, we need the resource.

TEACHERS, people who really want to teach will come. I know for one, people who are so disgusted with status quo that they just want to teach.

Also if you have like minded people as financial founders, then you have money, but my focus is getting away from money period. Or at least using it as a means of future self sufficiency. The best thing about this is that it is applicable ideology for community, not only school. To think these ideas will be used solely for school is not accurate. The whole community will share in the successes of the school.

(((((PEAE)))))

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 12:20 PM

16. "My thing"
In response to Reply # 14

Is not to rely on the founders for funding, but making the school it's own seperate entity entirely, making sure that it stands on it's own, totally independent, as a pillar in the community. I agree with all your points..

>POWER, solar power and a member of the faculty, well versed in >it's operation, maintenance, upgrade, to handle it. Georgia >Power, outta here.
Interesting, I assume that the engergy generated would not affect nighttime operations. I would like to see the price/value ratio on this as well.

>TEACHERS, people who really want to teach will come. I know for >one, people who are so disgusted with status quo that they just >want to teach.
Agreed, but we do need to reward them adequately as well.

>The best thing about this is that it is applicable ideology for >community, not only school. To think these ideas will be used >solely for school is not accurate. The whole community will >share in the successes of the school.

I especailly like this idea. see my post #3 and #12.

peace..

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 10:37 AM

5. "WE NEED YOU"
In response to Reply # 2

I feel you on the "having people in the business realm". I believe some of the creators of "Delights of the Garden" were business majors. Like Spike Lee said at the first annual Blackface awards at Howard, "we need more people behind the cameras and in business and corporate law. God knows we have enough actors, dancers, adn singers." The thing is though, like minds whether business, or otherwise have to have just that, LIKE MINDS. I can call up a friend in Stanford University that is a wizard in the study of law, but if their views are not the sam as the core ideologies of what the community is suopposed to be, then there is no sense in getting involved with her. Instead of getting involved with Deltas, i'd rather network all the Afrikan businesses that have similar goals for the community. Many times people go through channels that are tried already because that is all they know vs. creating their standard from the start and sticking to them. I know people who would just teach african children for free and volunteer their LIVES just to teach our way so that it doesn't get lost. This is the area I want to tap into. But you're correct, we do need people of like minds in the business area.

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 10:42 AM

7. "New BPP"
In response to Reply # 5

Instead of getting involved with Deltas, i'd rather network all the Afrikan businesses that have similar goals for the community. I know people who would just teach african children for free and volunteer their LIVES just to teach our way so that it doesn't get lost.

You know the New BPP would probably be supportive of this idea. Personally I don't agree with their entire platform so I wouldn't want to be reliant on them, but they might give support as far as volunteering or recruiting. Again, I would be wary of becoming too closely tied to them though because it might be a turnoff to some families.

MJ

We keep it type raw, and know exactly what we fight for / when the nightfall come, we in the right war / Cats who spill blood for a cause, not just because / Defy the authority and follow God's law / Revolutionary entrepeneurs... - Talib

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 11:04 AM

10. "I FEEL YOU."
In response to Reply # 7

We'd be pulling the best from the best.

Consider this, something I posed to Solarus: Like "Delights of the Garden", I get ten brothers adn sisters together who are like minded individuals who want to do this. As preparation each of us goes out to black communities exhibiting self reliance/sufficiency and overall desire to help our community of people. One might ge involved with the Hebrew Isrealites here in Atlanta, and elsewhere who went from a small restaraunt on Abernathy to a whole complex, provided many services for their community, and are a tight knit unit based on spirituality. One might get involved with projects by the Nation Of Islam who have organizational skills like i've never seen and have started their own schools with their own cultural ideas as the root, and have been succesful. Another might look at charter schools and get involved so as to see where some have successes and others failure.
Say each of us also educated ourselves in a business arena and owned or operated a business which could be a future source of revenue for the school. "Money won't come from nowhere"(Solarus).
We now have information on how to do it and people who have means to do it, all within a circle. No NEED to look outside for funds or procedure. the people who came together already have that. I think the hard part is finding those people. This is no part time thing, African liberation and nation building is a LIFETIME thing which spans generation upon generation.

Soulbrotha
Member since Feb 18th 2004
7401 posts
Mon Mar-14-05 04:23 PM

118. "RE: My girl"
In response to Reply # 2

The problem is there are NO african-centered schools in Africa.

This is a great idea and one we all should have a hand in..

"Do to others what you would others have done unto you." - The Lord Jesus Christ

SB Video: http://www.youtube.com/soulbrothavideo
SB tweet:www.twitter.com/soulb

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 10:37 AM

6. "What grades are you targeting?"
In response to Reply # 0

This is such an ambitious project, it seems to me the best way to approach it is to start with the younger grades and move up from there. Given the orientation of the school, I think more people would be willing to send their kids there for grade school than for high school for instance. You could start as a kindergarden with an after school program perhaps. Or start something in the summer time to gauge interest. I think you need to start with something small, attract good teachers and volunteers, and sell families on the idea. The start up costs for a younger age school are much more manageable than for a high school, as far as salaries, infrastructure, computers, books, etc. This is a great idea though.

MJ

We keep it type raw, and know exactly what we fight for / when the nightfall come, we in the right war / Cats who spill blood for a cause, not just because / Defy the authority and follow God's law / Revolutionary entrepeneurs... - Talib

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 10:51 AM

9. "What grades are you targeting?"
In response to Reply # 6

Good you brought this up. The targeted grades would be birth through death. Being that this is a school build within community, the people involved would always be involved. Not that "grades" are unimportant, but in the "philosophy" of this school it is unnecessary. Looking at afrikan educational systems, we see the community being bound to the raising and education of the child throughout it's lifetime. Since the child is always a part of the community, it would always be part of the school.

For example: people graduate from Morehouse and never ome back, you might see money come in, but no involvement whatsoever. This reduces the interaction between the school(children) and the community to a simple financial relationship. This is classic western parent/child interaction when you look at it. One needs, the other provides. Interdependence is overlooked. The students would be involved in the "cycle" at all times. I know, I know. You can't make anyone do that! Someone said this too me when i explained the idea. Well, this is more than starting a school, this is changing reality and the mind state of those involved in the school also. This is community building, this is nation building. Instead of focusing on the problems, there comes a time when you recognize the problem, and use that as a template of how not to do something after you've figured out what you want to do. These schools aren't preparing us for the future, and are certainly not developing the type of people our ancestors hoped, and dreamed, we would be.

(((((PEACE)))))

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 11:29 AM

12. "The community center bridge"
In response to Reply # 9

Would be excellent...
I was thinking were can I learn one of the Afrikan martial arts, there you go..
where can I go for weight training..
there you go..
computer certification.. computer courses ... tax courses... get my realistate licence..job placement..ect..ect...
as well as being among like minded goal oriented Afrikans with hopes of building a community....educating my children and myself at on time.
Idealistic,, very,, possible,, very,, like a Afrikan centered YMCA with more education... hmmmmm.. just an idea...

peace..

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 11:36 AM

13. "Accredidation?"
In response to Reply # 9

>Good you brought this up. The
>targeted grades would be birth
>through death. Being that this
>is a school build within
>community, the people involved would
>always be involved. Not that
>"grades" are unimportant, but in
>the "philosophy" of this school
>it is unnecessary. Looking at
>afrikan educational systems, we see
>the community being bound to
>the raising and education of
>the child throughout it's lifetime.
>Since the child is always
>a part of the community,
>it would always be part
>of the school.

OK, I understand what your saying and agree that may be the best way to educate a child, however, in this western society don't you have to become accredited as a private school to enroll children? I believe education is compulsory in the United States up to some level, but I'm not sure what that level is or if it is determined individually by the states. Have you looked into the rules and regulations regarding private school education? I honestly don't know much about this but I didn't think one could start a school that is as non-conformist as what you're proposing.

There is a supreme court case which might be relevant to this, Wisconsin v. Yoder (1972). The respondents were Amish people who challenged the state's compulsory education law which mandated school attendance to age 16. The court ruled in favor of the Amish, saying their first amendment rights outweighed the state's interest in providing education to age 16. The main reason they succeeded in this case though was their long standing and well documented belief system which was antithetical to many of the values taught in mainstream high schools (like science, progress, socialization with outsiders). I don't know how this decision impacts private schools, or schools in DC for instance, but it might be relevant.

MJ

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 12:13 PM

15. "GOOD POINT"
In response to Reply # 13

Solarus was saying the same thing. The Amish community would be a good example to research. Especially how they deal with the rest of the world. They provide a good communal example. Self reliant/Self sufficient. I don't know why this type of school would be against the law though. Non-conformist, yes, illegal in any way? NO

>>OK, I understand what your saying and agree that may be the best way to educate a child, however, in this western society don't you have to become accredited as a private school to enroll children?

I will look that up, interesting question.

((((((PEACE))))))

360sunsumyea
Charter member
653 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 06:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "RE: What grades are you targeting?"
In response to Reply # 9

>The targeted grades would be birth through death.

you just can't help yourself can you?

**********THE SIG**********

"the matrix is a system...that system is our enemy. when you're inside, when you look around, what do you see? businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters, the very minds of the people we are trying to save. until we do, these people are still a part of that sysytem, and that makes them our enemy. but you have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged...they are so helplessly dependent on the system, they will fight tooth and nail to protect it...anyone we haven't unplugged is potentially an agent. inside the matrix, they are everyone, and they are no one. we have survived by hiding from them and by running from them. but they are the gatekeepers. they are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys. which means that sooner or later, someone is going to have to fight them."
-morpheus "the matrix"

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 01:42 PM

17. "SPECIFIC CLASSES"
In response to Reply # 0

Some of the specific classes offered:

SELF SUFFICIENCY, where students learn basic skills of producing for themselves in the world, i.e. having to start a small business and learn the dynamics of such an activity. Showing the translation to the rest of life, giving students business acumen and realization that they can work for themselves.

AFRIKAN MARTIAL ARTS, a place to learn first self discipline and self defense second. Physical conditioning in this regards puts a premium on lifetime physical fitness, for when you incorporate a discipline that takes years to really know about, the chances of practice outside the school is higher. look at tai chi.

AFRIKAN HISTORIES, as told by some of our finest scholars, N. Akbar, C.A. Diop, R. Rashidi, M. Ani, I.V. Sertima, etc. Classical civilizations of KMT, ancient Ethiopia, NUBIA a focus. European culture represented accordingly.

HARD SCIENCES, as taught with history and integrated with Afrikan perspectives on the subjects

LANGUAGES, since young children have the capacity to learn multiple languages easily, different tongues would be introduced at an early age.

EUROPEAN CULTURE, as taught peripherally to afrikan culture. (my ideas on this class cannot be stated here but it would be one of the "most interesting" courses offered)

APPLICABLE LIFE SKILLS, this is a course especially geared towards teaching children things that adults have a hard time dealing with TODAY! Filling out forms, paying taxes, and understanding how to effectively navigate in this country/culture.

(((((PEACE)))))

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 02:11 PM

19. "More Classes"
In response to Reply # 17

Hotep

LITERATURE: This is subject area is a strong conduit of culture because of the telling of stories and ideas in which the reader is subsumed into another's world and identifies (or at least tries to) with it. Works of Ancient African literature will be fundamental especially age-appropriate version of ancient wisdom and spiritual stories and epics. ( Asarian Drama, "The Eloquent Peasant," "Sundiata," etc.)Since my initial plans for a school will most likely be in America, I strong emphasis on Afrikan American writers will also be important. LAter years (adolescents and up) should be introduced to more indepth readings and stories of Afrikans across the Diaspora, especially contemporary Afrikan literature and non-Western/ non-Afrikan literature.

MATH: Fifteen-year olds can do Calculus. Nuff Said.

MUSIC/DANCE: Though this music and dance can and WILL be incorporated with other subjects of study (Afrikan MArtial Arts, Literature, history, Math (yes math), etc.), courses devoted to learning various forms of dance and instruments across the Diaspora is significant.

ARTS/CRAFTS: Time will be devoted to cultivating creative energies and understanding different mediums through which those energies can manifest.

PEAce
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 07:48 AM

31. "excellent curriculum n/m"
In response to Reply # 17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"my mama said/a lady ain't what she wears/but what she knows"~~India Arie

KizzMyBlakAzz: you've made yourself a shell
KizzMyBlakAzz: i know you're soft and gooey on the inside
LHoney17: I know I am....never said I wasn't
LHoney17: but that doesn't mean I get stepped on or that I'm not strong
KizzMyBlakAzz: Gooey
LHoney17: lol
KizzMyBlakAzz: Caramel
KizzMyBlakAzz: Center
LHoney17: lol....well that's a nice way to think of it
KizzMyBlakAzz: with like a hard choclate shell
LHoney17: think I'll put that in a personal ad
KizzMyBlakAzz: You're a Rollo
LHoney17: lmao
KizzMyBlakAzz: lmao

"Ignorance: The Verbal Airborne Disease" (c) my friend Ty

"Quentin's on his way/Quinton's on his way/Quentin's on his way/with another J/and it's ok!!/(we're gonna get high!!)" ~~Pharcyde

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 01:53 PM

18. "NATION BUILDING"
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

>Some of the main points in
>our conversation were:
>
>SELF SUFFICIENCY OF THE SCHOOL, too
>many african charter schools are
>closed due to lack of
>funding. We want to find
>ways around this through self
>sufficiency in every respect.

This brings up the monetary and financial factor of starting the school. I have to admit that right now this point is farthest from my grasp at the moment. I have to do more research on other charter schools in the US, currently to see what methods they are using. A few ideas would be to grow all the food needed for students AT the school (which means it the school will include a sizable amount of land) and utamaroho suggested the utilization of solar energy to power the school in order to not rely on the electric company. But i forgot about water? Where would the water supply come from.

>
>TEACHING STRATEGIES OF THE SCHOOL, African
>values and history provided to
>give students a "wholistic" education.
>

I'm working on this right now (Part of my graduate studies).

>
>COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT IN THE SCHOOL, Having
>the school as the nexus
>of the community, the center
>of the circle, without which
>the community cannot exist.
>

This is key. Especially considering parental involvement. PTA won't cut it. This will be largely dependent on the Afrikan-centeredness (or lack of) of the parents. Of course community involvement by those high in Afrikan-centeredness would be higher than those low in it. Some of my initial thoughts on such (especially for families with poor parent/child relationships) is to have classes programs and workshops with the parents. Families potentially hold the most influential force i the lives of children. This needs to be recognized.

Also the school needs to also function as a community center. Having the school function this dual role will also further the parental involvement since their children's lives will largely surround one nexus.

>SCHOOL'S ULTIMATE FUNCTION, to produce a
>caliber of spiritual, mental, physical,
>socially, culturally aware people capable
>of survival in any environment
>while pushing the limits of
>human capability. In this building,
>the inevitable destruction of today's
>problems(i.e. western culture) will come.
>
>

Nuff Said

PEace
Solarus

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 02:23 PM

20. "RE: NATION BUILDING"
In response to Reply # 18

>>But i forgot about water? Where would the water supply come from.

i found water solutions for groups of homes but none for institutions. the solar energy site i found was on some anarchist site. believe it or not, one of the good things about the 2000 scare is that it taught people the basics of self sufficiency. there are groups that bought up all the generators and water supply products and solar cells and continue to use them now. some institutions at that! being that the only reason people use electricity from Georgia Power is that its the only game in town and integrated into their location. i.e. the only game in town. there are alternatives, but with the allmighty dollar being the drive for using these comppanies, people just don't know about them. Water wouldn't be a problem.

>>Some of my initial thoughts on such (especially for families with poor parent/child relationships) is to have classes programs and workshops with the parents. Families potentially hold the most influential force i the lives of children. This needs to be recognized.

being that one of the problems the people we're trying to reach is in the economic field. the inclusion of our own businesses from which we can generate money for those poorer families really shows the need for our OWN businesses to be there in the genesis of this project. there are so many ways to bring money into a community when one considers that one need not work for someone else. in the self sufficiency class i talked of having students run a business of their own. if i own a restaraunt that these students can manage and run, they learn and earn, within a business in their own community with the communities best interest in mind. why then send them to McDonald's to build up someone else's? The whole "i am because we are" applies here. The school could be a job training center/community center/physical activity center/ etc... but we'd also have businesses that interacted with the schools to uplift those economically stressed.

p.s. are there any raw restaraunts in ATL like "Delights" ? if not maybe i can start one.

(((((PEACE)))))

360sunsumyea
Charter member
653 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 07:23 PM

26. "ideas..."
In response to Reply # 20

since self-sufficiency of school and of community are main themes here, what types of businesses does the community need. businesses not just to quench consumerism, but that we really need to become self-sufficient.

i think solarus said something in a previous response about teaching the children some basic skills like filling out paperwork...well they can also learn basic computer office suites, filing, and busines operations.

the state of maryland unemployment office has this program for unemployed people, where they ask if yo have any ideas for a business, and if you do you fill out a little questionaire and then get to go to these training classes for entrpreneurs. well, this could work in the same way, only the school (older students and teachers) in addition to providing this training could also provide office support (word processing, filing, desktop publishing of marketing materials, even web design) of these entrepreneurs when they first start out. and with telecommunications, depending on the business, people could work from home, or use the home as the main office and outsource adminisration to the school, establishing the family compound (dare i even dream) as an economic unit. is this making sense?

"the matrix is a system...that system is our enemy. when you're inside, when you look around, what do you see? businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters, the very minds of the people we are trying to save. until we do, these people are still a part of that sysytem, and that makes them our enemy. but you have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged...they are so helplessly dependent on the system, they will fight tooth and nail to protect it...anyone we haven't unplugged is potentially an agent. inside the matrix, they are everyone, and they are no one. we have survived by hiding from them and by running from them. but they are the gatekeepers. they are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys. which means that sooner or later, someone is going to have to fight them."
-morpheus "the matrix"

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 09:07 AM

46. "REMEMBER..."
In response to Reply # 26

>>businesses not just to quench consumerism, but that we really need to become self-sufficient.

great point. REMEMBER in malcolm x when al sharton was saying "we can make clothes from wool, but where are our factories at? we can get milk from cows but where are our grocery stores at? we need to be the producers of our own factories" ?

Solarus is always saying that you can't teach a hungry child, feed him first. Being that many black families face economic crisis, self sufficiency and producing our own necessities would be paramount. Why look outside for jobs, if we create our own and export the goods out to make money for OUR communities after providing oursleves with the bare necessities, then we have a WIN/WIN solution. I have relatives that produce their own vegetables then sell the excess. Black farmers that need our business are doing the same but have no buyer, incorporating the community school with them agian solves two problems and we are exhibiting that WIN/WIN "don't look outside for needs" mentality.

Instead of another chicken joint we would have textile factories, farms, and such. Industries where we can get our needs from (instead of buying tommy hilnigger) and them make money from outside. We all should pick up Black Economics and see that black businesses fail all the time because we export our dollars out of our communities. LET'S BUILD ANOTHER TULSA!

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
50. "Digging Wells is easy"
In response to Reply # 20

And if you do it, you often have to pay some kind of mineral/water rights to the county that you live in.

What you should really be wondering about is how to deal with the wastewater and sewage.

Are you trying to be self sufficient, or self contained. One is a lot cheaper and feasible than the other.

peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 03:00 PM

22. "Isn't it sad..."
In response to Reply # 0

that posts bickering over historical details or naive views on race get hundreds of hits while constructive, solution-based posts like this are barely looked at? Great post...

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Dujeous @ Bowery Ballroom
6 Delancey Street (at Bowery)
w/Addison Groove Project &
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

dittyman

Mon Mar-05-01 04:48 PM

23. "Is it Sad?"
In response to Reply # 22

VERY. Been observing this board lately and can tell that destroying(disagreeing) has a more powerful or popular spirit than building. Often UTAMAROHO, SOLARUS, CUED and others come off as antagonistic when in reality they're building/destroying, educating on a righteous way of living/challenging western culture respectively. If you read what they're really saying, it's simple, but off hand it is easy to attack off the jump when one lacks understanding. Solarus posts that "race is not the problem, the western conceptual system is" so much you'd think it'd be the boards motto. Unfortunately there is little reflection before response. I always think how responses would be if there were a madatory wiat time where one reads, rereads and THEN posts. GREAT POST by the way.

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 08:42 AM

40. "i agree"
In response to Reply # 23

for real

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 11:01 AM

72. "We were proved wrong..."
In response to Reply # 40

and thats beautiful...

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

utamaroho

Mon Mar-05-01 05:24 PM

24. "PROBLEMS IN AMERICAN EDUCTION"
In response to Reply # 0

"One can judge the status of a people by the condition of its children" -Crawford

If one can judge the culture by the condition of the children, being that they're connected, then this culture is really in need of some help. The educational system needs to be revamped. As afrikans, our educating of children was never separated from community as it is here in this land. When one even speaks of education on thinks SCHOOL, as separate from society. In OUR tradition there is no separation. Why do schools have TO TRY to get parents involved in their child's education? practically BEG? Because there is the fundamental problem that this culture has towards education, seeing it as separate from the learning experiences of life. This is not our way people.

More than that, this way is not preparing our children to deal with the problems it'll encounter in this society. Let's not speak of elevating human existence and continuing our culture. This way is not working for us for many reasons(or them for that matter):

1)lacking our history, necessary part of knowing one's identity

2)teaching from an obviously biased perspective

3)reinforcing western social and cultural tendencies that just don't work and continue to perpetuate that way of life.

add on if you like

((((((PEACE))))))

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 08:16 AM

34. "WHY THIS WAY FAILS US."
In response to Reply # 24

Our problems as a people are inseparable from our problems as a people. The type of education offered will always fit the socio-politico-economic context. If there is oppression in the general society, the schools supported bythat society will mirror it. Elsewhere, I have tried to describe the specific features of the system that were used to oppress Africans. Six of the steps that were used are listed below:

1) African and African history and culture were suppressed and distorted.

2) African group identity was suppressed.

3) White supremacy was taught in the schools, churches, the mass media, etc.

4) All African social institutions and larger society's social institutions were controlled by European americans.

5) Systematic steps were taken to insure that resources could not be accumulated by Africans.

6) Africans were physically segregated from Europeans.

from SBA: THE REAWAKENING THE AFRICAN MIND, Asa Hilliard III

(((((PEACE)))))

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 08:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "Thinking backwards to the future"
In response to Reply # 0

Utamahoro, I got your email late but since it looks like I'll have a work day off due to the storm I will oblige...

>Some of the main points in
>our conversation were:
>
>SELF SUFFICIENCY OF THE SCHOOL, too
>many african charter schools are
>closed due to lack of
>funding. We want to find
>ways around this through self
>sufficiency in every respect.

Part of any education of a community (building of a nation) is sustainability. Last year I received training on how to sustain a community-based technology center. To reach the nation one must start from one's corner and my area is community technology/education/youth development.

Strategic thinking is critical to achieving on-going support. a) where do you want to be? b) how will you know when you get there? c) where are we now? d) how do we get there? e) what is likely to change in your environment in the future?

This is thinking backwards to the future.

In this society (US), Black people are conditioned to seek instant gratification, focus only on the present. This thinking thwarts sustainability.

>TEACHING STRATEGIES OF THE SCHOOL, African
>values and history provided to
>give students a "wholistic" education.

African values and history are a big part of the development of self for Black people. In addition, Black children need to be exposed to caring adults, feel a some sense of safety & structure, have opportunities to contribute, build competency & mastery, feel independent and in control of their lives, etc. Black children need opportunities to find themselves or know who they are and what their life mission is.

>COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT IN THE SCHOOL, Having
>the school as the nexus
>of the community, the center
>of the circle, without which
>the community cannot exist.

One thing I have learned is that people have to value a thing in order to involve themselves. Quality services=community interest. If you build it and it has real value or meets the needs of the community they will come.

Twelve years ago I envisioned starting a high-tech center in Black communities. This was before the term "digital divide" was thought up to describe Black and poor people as haves and others (white, rich) as haves. I realized that Black people, my people, were going to be left behind. I started from my corner, building technnology centers in housing developments, schools, colleges, community centers in New York City, Chicago, and the Boston area.

Roxbury, MA residents are mostly Black. Stats say there is about 3% computer ownership in Roxbury and along with that is the high rate of high school drop-out, crime, etc. I built a multimedia training center in a strip mall in the middle of Roxbury. I put high-end computers, industry-standard software, and high-speed Internet access in the center. The people are coming. I developed a model for community networking that will make the center a hub for residents, schools, community centers, etc. So far it is working but I have run into obstacles from people who don't want to see the center succeed.

People keep coming to the orientations, finding out about the center, about multimedia and what value it has in terms of personal development & community building. The first five classes are full and more are coming. Other people want to partner and others want to teach. Most of the people who want to partner or teach are white and know the value of the center. They are willing to travel into Roxbury at night and get involved. These people will train the residents and they in turn will train others.

But make no mistake. Some people feel threatened by the success of the center, including some Black folk who left the community to take on high-paying, high-profile jobs. There are white people who want to see the center fail once they discovered I actually had a vision and knew what I was doing.

I will keep on not matter what because my mission is to make a difference for Black people, from my corner.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Mar-05-01 08:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "Utamaroho..."
In response to Reply # 27

...my apologies about the spelling of your name.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 07:01 AM

29. "THIS IS BEAUTIFUL"
In response to Reply # 27

One of the first goals is to get like minded individuals together, i'll have to stay in touch with you. GREAT RESPONSE. I can see you being a resource to answer some of my specific questions, i'll be back later. (((((PEACE)))))

NeTeR

Tue Mar-06-01 07:44 AM

30. "RE: THIS IS BEAUTIFUL (it really is)!"
In response to Reply # 29

Greetings
I have check okayplayer form time to time just to see what kinds of disuccions are being tossed around in OkayActivist. And I have to say I felt motivation, sincerity and most of all true concern for the problems. I think I will have to check in at okayplayer Activist more often, and I hope you all keep this positive flow of ideas.
Peace

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 07:53 AM

32. "Special Education?"
In response to Reply # 0

I was wondering if you had taken into consideration the growing numbers of special needs children.

I say this because generations of lead-infested buildings and drug addicted parents, welfare dependence, psychological repercussions, and the like have contributed to the education crisis in this country, especially in the schooling of Black children.

Would the school (which is an excellent idea) have resources to help these students & their families cope?

L.

"Quentin's on his way/Quinton's on his way/Quentin's on his way/with another J/and it's ok!!/(we're gonna get high!!)" ~~Pharcyde

~~~~

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 08:03 AM

33. "SPECIAL EDUCATION?"
In response to Reply # 32

What specifically are special needs children?

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 08:31 AM

38. "generally defined as"
In response to Reply # 33

children w/ conditions that, for whatever reason, impede learning. e.g.

~dyslexia
~retardation
~emotionally disturbed children (stemming from abuse, chemical imbalances, etc)
~lead poisioning (alters brain functioning leading to emotional, social, and psychological problems)

~~~~

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 08:52 AM

42. "RIGHT NOW..."
In response to Reply # 38

I'm reading an essay on some of the differences between African cultures and here. The examples you listed are virtually unheard of and in the case of mental retardation, which in itself a western concept, not usually a problem. A while ago there was the topic of ADD (attention deficit disorder) a purely western concept when you think about it. Or another one, as Solarus informed me, Schizophrenia, which in the west is handled differently than in traditional Afikan societies. Both of these "biological illnesses" are handled in different ways in the Afrikan culture. This shows that certain stimuli are cultural specific and can be combateed by a better way of life, a better culture and a better education. I'll explain more after I read this article. Those factors don't impede learning, look at it this way "there are no bad students, just bad teachers". An effective way of teaching just needs to be found.

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
51. "Umm no."
In response to Reply # 42

My mother was a special ed teacher.(she specializes in learning disability and behaviorial problems now) And there are all sorts of mental retardation that can't be chalkled up to bad teachers and environmental factors.

that being said, most minority children are placed in special ed, wrongly because of cultural biases by the school systems.

And then there are those with some extra chromosomes.

Be realistic and honest with us.
one
k. orr

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 09:57 AM

55. "RE: Umm no."
In response to Reply # 51

>>that being said, most minority children are placed in special ed, wrongly because of cultural biases by the school systems.

this is what I was meaning to say. thanks.

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:39 AM

52. "I agree..."

especially about ADD/ADHD.

I was just throwing it out there as a consideration.

peace

L.

~~~~

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 11:18 AM

60. "Lead poisoning"

Lead poisoning is virtually unheard of in African cultures because of the lower use of lead for paint and pipe soldering, as opposed to modern Western cultures, where lead is everywhere around us. If you are dealing with any group of children in America, lead poisoning is a consideration. When you are dealing with African children in America, particularly poor ones, lead poisoning is an unavoidable problem. According to a study by the CDC, 68 PERCENT of poor black children have lead poisoning as opposed to only something like 30 percent of poor white children. Even rich black children experience lead poisoning at a higher rate than poor white children. This dispartiy is due to the substandard, delapidated housing that blacks are relegated to by racist real estate practices, as well as slumlords and governmental agencies who don't really care enough about black residents to clean up the lead or educate the populace. The effects of lead poisoning on a child's intelligence, memory, and temperment are disastrous. Lead poisoning is the most subtle yet most harmful form of environmental racism. I did a paper on this, I'll try to come with more specifics tomorrow. Any school ath is built will have to have special resources to deal with this tragic symptom of racism.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Tue Mar-15-05 02:22 AM

124. "RE: RIGHT NOW..."
Tue Mar-15-05 02:24 AM by akon

i dont know, uta.. i definitely dont believe that these are biological deficiencies, because i grew up up in nairobi and the first time i heard that kids suffer from mental illnesses was when i got here. but that said. i currently work with children whose mothers are recovering from drug addiction. and there's something to say about the emotional scars they carry and how these manifest themselves in different behaviour issues. also think about the trauma of just being in this society. that (i feel) manifests itself in different forms.... we aren't supposed to live in this way.. that said.. i do think there has to be some attempt at facing this as an issue that has developed out of living the "western ideal". right now the solution seems to be to medicate.. which doesn't solve anything. and i like to believe that experiencing a more wholistic lifestyle or education would eventually remove this problem. but it can't just be ignored at the moment. (im gonna add this to my list of curricula ideas..).

>I'm reading an essay on some of the differences between
>African cultures and here. The examples you listed are
>virtually unheard of and in the case of mental retardation,
>which in itself a western concept, not usually a problem. A
>while ago there was the topic of ADD (attention deficit
>disorder) a purely western concept when you think about it. Or
>another one, as Solarus informed me, Schizophrenia, which in
>the west is handled differently than in traditional Afikan
>societies. Both of these "biological illnesses" are handled in
>different ways in the Afrikan culture. This shows that certain
>stimuli are cultural specific and can be combateed by a better
>way of life, a better culture and a better education. I'll
>explain more after I read this article. Those factors don't
>impede learning, look at it this way "there are no bad
>students, just bad teachers". An effective way of teaching
>just needs to be found.
>
>
>"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they
>REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought
>
>

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 08:16 AM

35. "LONG TERM"
In response to Reply # 32

That would be a long term goal for the school. Just like the entire community center aspects of the school. Building blocks one step at a time. That is one reason I feel the school should be completely self sustaining...

Side note: Most Afrikans children are put in special education classes unnessasarily.

peace..

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 08:27 AM

37. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 35

>Side note: Most Afrikans children are
>put in special education classes
>unnessasarily.

You're right. But we can't ignore the fact that there are many kids whose needs are being ignored in today's schools

L.

~~~~

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 08:23 AM

36. "INTEGRATION IS NOT QUALITY"
In response to Reply # 0

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 08:41 AM

39. "RE: INTEGRATION IS NOT QUALITY"
In response to Reply # 36

Charles Hamilton reminds us that "integration," as we have understood it, is not synonymous with quality education. Hamilton's vision of a quality education is one where the school belongs to a community and where the school becomes the center of a host of related community activities. This means drawing on strength that flows out of group unity.

As it relates to today's times, all too often efforts are made to mimic and become like the "status quo" without every asking whether it is essentialy good quality. Why attempt to mimic the best schools in this nation when what is taught perpetuates the ideas of this nation which are the very same ideas that cause the problems people face? In another post someone stated that "blacks have to work 10 times harder than whites to get the same 'privilages' " Why are we trying to mimic them in the first place? is the question I ask. Attempting to follow the same procedures as Europeans will only lead to the same results. We HAVE to change it up, at some point you have to realize what DOESN'T work.

(((((PEACE)))))

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 08:45 AM

41. "RE: INTEGRATION IS NOT QUALITY"
In response to Reply # 39

>In another post someone stated
>that "blacks have to work
>10 times harder than whites
>to get the same 'privilages'
>" Why are we trying
>to mimic them in the
>first place? is the question
>I ask.

I know what you're getting at...but when that "privilege" is something on the level of being able to walk down a street without getting harrassed by police, I think we're right to want that.

just wanted to throw that in

L.

~~~~

360sunsumyea
Charter member
653 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 08:56 AM

43. "technology..."
In response to Reply # 41

what technologies are necessary to maintain the self-sufficency of the school?

what about impacts on the envirnment?

is this school to be enviro-friendly?

-morpheus "the matrix"

360sunsumyea
Charter member
653 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 08:57 AM

44. "not a response to 'integration'"
In response to Reply # 43

so sorry for the misplacement.

-morpheus "the matrix"

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 09:20 AM

48. "RE: technology..."
In response to Reply # 43

SOLAR POWER, there is no sense for people in Ga to not be using it. MONEY, a non-reality, should not be the reason why we don't tap into this resource. Hell, we're people of the sun anyways. The only reason it's NOT used is because noone will make money off of it. This summer i'm going to try to integrat my place ith it and find out the merits of such a system. Electricity shouldn't be a problem.

WATER, still working on that.

FOOD, black farmers need our business (resources for clothes then would then be available i.e. cotton etc.)

GAS, not needed.
ANIMAL FOODS, not needed
GASOLINE, still working on that, (though there are alternatives electrical vehicles)

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:41 AM

53. "technology"
In response to Reply # 48

I was thinking that about the incoporating adult classes in computer training, certification, and building into the school. three pong reason

one it would help fund the school and keep the school abreast in the latest technology. the training could also keep the computers maintained...

provide people with skills and knowledge that will be critical in the years to come. both children and adults could participate in the program.

again help establish a relationship with the school and the parents (hopefully). parents could participate in the program with their children (a child can learn this stuff). it just helps the school become more of a community and not just some entity in the community.

peace..

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 07:57 PM

79. "CAN REVOLUTIONARY INTEGRATION = QUALITY?"
In response to Reply # 39

>Charles Hamilton reminds us that "integration,"
>as we have understood it,
>is not synonymous with quality
>education.

Agreed. Given the qualifier: "as we have understood it"

>Hamilton's vision of a
>quality education is one where
>the school belongs to a
>community and where the school
>becomes the center of a
>host of related community activities.
>This means drawing on strength
>that flows out of group
>unity.

What if the school's community is a supportive integrated community? A community of like minded people with mutual respect and regard for one another. Fighting for the same things, although they may come from a range of ethnic backgrounds? I believe such communities do exist, can be built, and that they have legitimate group unity through human, not racial, solidarity of purpose.

>As it relates to today's times,
>all too often efforts are
>made to mimic and become
>like the "status quo" without
>every asking whether it is
>essentialy good quality. Why attempt
>to mimic the best schools
>in this nation when what
>is taught perpetuates the ideas
>of this nation which are
>the very same ideas that
>cause the problems people face?

I agree, integration as currently practiced in America's schools has many flaws. The education system itself, the way curriculum is developed and taught, and the way schools are funded are also major problems. (I could put many quotes from "They Schools" right here but... "if education ain't elevating me then fuck education, at least they shit.")

>In another post someone stated
>that "blacks have to work
>10 times harder than whites
>to get the same 'privilages'
>" Why are we trying
>to mimic them in the
>first place? is the question
>I ask. Attempting to follow
>the same procedures as Europeans
>will only lead to the
>same results. We HAVE to
>change it up, at some
>point you have to realize
>what DOESN'T work.

Yes and no. It's all about choosing your battles. Some things are not worth working for at all, others are worth working your whole life for. "Privileges" is a very broad term, and it's not synonomous with Western way of life. Like someone pointed out, there are some privileges that are worth fighting for, and which can be used as tools to further elevate the people. Struggle does not *always* lead to false promises and glass ceilings, even though it often does.

MJ

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 07:16 AM

80. "Cultural solidarity"
In response to Reply # 79

Hotep

>What if the school's community is
>a supportive integrated community?
>A community of like minded
>people with mutual respect and
>regard for one another.
>Fighting for the same things,
>although they may come from
>a range of ethnic backgrounds?
> I believe such communities
>do exist, can be built,
>and that they have legitimate
>group unity through human, not
>racial, solidarity of purpose.

What is "human solidarity?" If one is seeking "racial" solidarity only then one is most likely doomed to create "black" clones indoctrinated in Western culture. The issue of education has always been and will continue to be a process of indoctrination in cultural wisdom. The fallacy of Western culture is to believe that there IS NO CULTURE. This lie is perpetrated only to have its adherents to unknowingly be part of a cultural heritage while believing that they are same as the rest of "humanity" besides a view differences in appearances, food, clothing and rituals. This belief only serves to further destroy and subsume any other existing cultural worldviews and perspectives into a the umbrella of Western/European culture.

Therefore, "education" is the distribution of a particular cultural identity, worldview, heritage as a foundation in which one can grow and survive in the world at large. The only part that "racial solidarity" plays is the usual case of a "racial" group correlating with a certain "cultural group."

Human solidarity can only come through a unifying of those individuals who each possess a strong and viable cultural foundation. Those persons not possessing such, LACK IDENTITY and will necessarily subsume the culture of the other thereby exposing the fact that they are truly UNEQUAL. A good example is starting a club of persons who are all bilingual. The purpose of the club is for the different persons to who all speak a common language and one different language to teach everyone else the other language. If one of the persons only speaks the common language they are unable to fulfill the purpose of club thus is unequal to the rest of the club members. This person (if allowed to join) will be necessarily at the mercy of the other members as his/her inequality shows an absence of power.

This is the purpose of an Afrikan-centered school. To REaffrim, RE-connect, RE(RA)member the traditional cultural heritage and perspectives that have been systematically diluted, suppressed and in many cases destroyed by through the European/Western/Arabic/non-Afrikan educational system that Afrikans worldwide have been subjected too.

PEace
Solarus

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 07:44 AM

81. "Different directions"
In response to Reply # 80

Solarus - I understand the type of school you, utamaroho and cued are proposing, but what I was talking about was mainly the benefits of having a school integrated into the community, a school which probably would not be as iconoclastic or Afrikan-centered in its teachings and structure as yours. I think there are elements of your school proposal which could uplift and empower children anywhere and strengthen the community better than the schools we have today do. I was just taking your idea in a slightly different direction. I'm not describing a school that would go so far in turning western culture upside down, just own with a more holistic approach to the student, a more cooperative learning process between students, and better integration between students, parents, and the wider community.

MJ

360sunsumyea
Charter member
653 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 01:36 PM

87. "RE: Different directions"
In response to Reply # 81

>I'm not describing a school that would go so far in turning western culture upside down, just own with a more holistic approach to the student, a more cooperative learning process between students, and better integration between students, parents, and the wider community.

in what ways is the school you are speaking of more holistic towards the student?

how is the learning process more cooperative?

i guess what i am asking for is examples of how you would this. what/how would you teach?
how would this integrate _better_ w/the rest of the community?
what community are you talking about?

-morpheus "the matrix"

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 01:46 PM

88. "RE: Different directions"
In response to Reply # 87

Sorry. Each time I wrote more I was making comparisons to existing public schools, not to this nation building school. The community I envisioned was a multi-racial community, like you might find in San Francisco. I'm not even planning on starting a school though, so it's not really worth pursuing, just pointing out that within a somewhat traditional framework you could better integrate the school with the community.

MJ

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Tue Mar-27-01 02:47 PM

91. "damn sorry i missed this thread.."
In response to Reply # 79

so hard to catch up...
but i agree that integration does not mean better education..but i do belive that when children are raised understanding all cultural differences and respect that...things can get done within the community....

you made some good points (the guy i'm replying too)

Much love,
Kyle

sellin' sigs since 1999

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:01 AM

45. "Initially startup"
In response to Reply # 0

I was thinking small with a preschool and a workout gym for adults(children physical training and exercise)... Two reasons:

Reach the children at an early age building self esteem, establishing idenity, creating a fondation for learning, and planting seeds in a Afrikan perspective. Detoxing them from Western culture before it really takes into effect.

Peep, alot of us, Afrikan peoples, do not put much stock in education. Parents do not support their schools like they should, teachers never build a relationship with the parents, the school is underfounded (something that could be hepled if the parents supported the schools), children do not receive the reinforcement when they return home. We know that private schools for us are not cost efficient. First the cost for the enrollment of one child does not cover the cost of supporting that child through the school. We know the stories, but you know whats funny is that we can go to Run and Shoot, Golds, or whatever get our lift on, play some bball, or do some aerobics. Well two prong solution, the gym or athletic center can lure adults, who will pay to shoot hoops, workout, or lift weights it can support itself and the profits can help support the school. Second reason: hopefully parents would enroll at the gym and enroll their children in the school. This would allow parental interaction with the school more achievable. It's sad but I have witnessed parents that just drop their children off and pick them up never really getting envolved with the happening of the school, even when they are paying for the service. We have to make it more attractive for the parents...

peace

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 09:14 AM

47. "EXCELLENCE"
In response to Reply # 45

That's a good idea, integrating something parents are getting into working out (even if it is a fad now to join gyms andthey aren't solutions, just quick fixes) and schooling. The intimacy created being that the building would be nexus for both would cause more collision between parent-student if nothing more. The cascead YMCA comes to mind. Plus the teachers would be part of the gym too thus creating a bond and interaction between students. When i was speaking to Solarus about this, the idea is wholistic in so many ways i moght need to start a database of all the ways that everything interacts with everything. The community center could provide schools for students as well, getting them to interact notonly with other students and THEIR parents, but other students' parents. IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD. We have to stop seeing our communities as so disconnected. Remember when you were little and lived in the same plpace for years and years and knew everybody? WE NEED THAT BACK. THIS IS OUR WAY.

(((((PEACE AFRIKANS)))))

iNi

Tue Mar-06-01 09:30 AM

49. "RE: NATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep!

I have been around the board for sometime now, I like just reading everyone's viewpoint. I have only left a message once and that was in regard to the Bamboozled review.

Again I find myself with that same feeling that I have to say something. Nation Building is the key to liberation and it starts with Afrikan Education. My contribution to this discussion is to advise there are Afrikan Institutions already in progress that need young Warriors such as yourselves to come and be apart of the Re-Afrikanization Process which starts with the adults of today but will carry on with the "watoto" (children) of tommorrow.

These schools are all over the united states and in the homeland as well. The name of the organization is the Council of Independent Black Institutions aka CIBI. This is exactly what you all are looking for and we are looking for you !!! We need you to come and join but not start new we are not charter schools atleast not where I am which is in St.Louis,Mo. I will find out the names of all the schools and what areas so you all can check it out yourselves.

It was deja vu to read the messages in regards to the grades, the curriculum, accreditation....etc...All of those issues have been addressed within this organization. I am grateful that my family is apart of this process which is from "The Womb to The Tomb". Being apart of this process has totally changed my life for you learn education isn't just 5 days week when the children are in school but it is for all 24/7 365 days a year and the main thing I learned was that it doesn't start with the "watoto" but with the parents!!!!! In order for the children to learn you must learn as well actually re-learn and that isn't a easy task for "grownfolks" but I guarantee when you do ain't no going back as Sis. Erykah says !

Well that is enough for now I don't like writing because I am 32 soon to be 33 and just from reading the posts I can tell majority of the board is younger. I just read to learn and to see where the minds of our young people are. Alot of times I see us defocusing on things like punctuations and signature names, etc...which I am not good at but anyway I feel like I was there and still is but with life learning experinces therefore I must allow others to have theirs , as Sis. Erykah says " Just Be Free, Yall". So that is what I try to do therefore I don't like debating but I love contributing with love.

Hotep !!!!

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:52 AM

54. "Peace and Blessings"
In response to Reply # 49

Sista I understand and am aware of the other Afrikan schools as well as the organization. While I do not mentor at one of the institutions I am aware of the need and I do mentor. This discussion I believe is more geared towards how we would run an Afrikan school (which I believe would be ran somewhat differently than what is offered already)forgive me if I am wrong. I appreciate your advise, however, thankyou

PS
do not be scared to jump in the convo, we may be young but we need elders to concil our decision making....even tho you not that old..

peace..

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 10:00 AM

56. "FIRST TIME"
In response to Reply # 54

>>we may be young but we need elders to concil our decision making

first time i heard anyone ask for the inclusion of elders. i guess iwasn't the only one thinking that. if Crawford were here...DAMN, i wonder if he'd come? I know Rashidi posts on egroups. Time to bring some elders into this circle. (((((PEACE)))))

iNi

Tue Mar-06-01 10:23 AM

57. "RE: Peace and Blessings"
In response to Reply # 54

Asante' Sana, Sis for you message.

Here in St.Louis, My daughter attends Frederick Douglass Institute an Afrikan School ran by Afrikan People. We are are are self-sufficient. We are running an Afrikan School for Afrikan Children. Our highschool is Hofi Ni Kwnenu Academy. Everything that is being discussed or questions being raised we have the answers or I should say the model already in progress the questions you have in other words have already been answered.

Our goal is to have an Afrikan Public School System . We are not a african school with an european centric. Our education is about nationbuilding, teaching our children about freedom.Our definition of freedom lies in six areas which are feed, house, clothes, educate, medicate , and defend ourselves unless education is teaching that then isn't education !! For the revolution will not be televised it will occur in the minds of our children and their children's children and so on and so forth that is what I meant by teaching the children of tommorrow.

Now all the schools of CIBI have the same philosophy but I can only give you exact information based on the school I came through. If I am understanding everything correctly, you mentor at one of the CIBI schools? Would you tell me the name of that school and where it is located.

I don't like sharing detailed information over the internet especially when the ideas were introduced to me by our Co-Directors and I want to give them and the others school much respect and recoginition that is why I said I will find out all the schools names and location and you can check it out for yourselves.

I hope it is understood that what I am attempting to say is what you all are looking for is here already and in need of teachers, parents, family, and community so that no has to pay for this education and it will be A Global System of Education that we all are using.

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 10:32 AM

58. "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!"
In response to Reply # 57

>>Afrikan Public School System

EXACTLY, I was speaking to Solarus about that too, being that people move, there sholud be locations everywhere to provide the needs for our children. I'm glad to hear there are examples. Do you have any online information about the school? I would volunteer instantly if there was one around here. Let me look around some more...

(((((PEACE AFRIKANS))))) Damn, when you put a certain kind of energy out, the universe sends back just what you need.

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 10:39 AM

59. "RE: Peace and Blessings"
In response to Reply # 57

And I stand corrected ...

No I do not mentor at a school, but I mentor at InnerStrength here in ATL. The is a school name IMHOTEP and I know of another school in Lithonia (ten minutes away) that are Afrikan institutions....

thankyou

peace..

urbgriot625@cs.com

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 01:35 PM

61. "Community Networking"
In response to Reply # 0

I've made an effort to take sustainability to another level by thinking of ways to use technology to sustain community, rather than just providing quality services. I have been learning about community networking. What is Community Networking?

Community Networking is defined by low-cost, public access to electronic networks. Most Black and poor communities lack access to high-end technology;

Creation and maintenance of local content or teaching people how to use technology to create media. One of the main ways Westerners perpetuate their society or nation is through media. Black people may not be able to control TV, film or print but the Net is wide open right now;
Public training for people to teach how to effectively use technology and create content;
Technical support;
Combination of electronic and face-to-face interaction;
Premium placed on collaborations (partnerships)

A Community Network looks like a resource & training hub connecting local communities, schools, and community-based organizations with distant communities trying to do the same thing. This network promotes collaborations, or partnerships. Ideally, one place or organization could do all of this but there are lots of grass-roots or community-based initiatives providing a variety of services to people. Working together these organizations can more realistically address all the community needs.

What Community Networks need in order to sustain themselves?

High-speed, dial-up access (Internet), public access computers & digital equipment, youth development programs, workforce training, citizen engagement, community economic development, nonprofit support services, small business incubation, Web site hosting for nonprofits, Web site development, technology and strategic planning services and support, experimental development with new technologies, reduce isolation.

How to ensure sustainability of Community Network:

Develop strong, meaningful collaborations based on service delivery and mutual interest, not money
Think bug about partnerships (national, Internet, etc.)
Find real collaborators with real buy-in, should kick in a buck
Develop a strong, supportive board willing to help find money
Develop plans

It is possible to use technology to address lots of needs but traditional education and services are just as important and that is why community networks can build the "Nation".

"Know thyself"

utamaroho

Tue Mar-06-01 02:26 PM

62. "RE: Community Networking"
In response to Reply # 61

compters are cool ways of generating capital, just wondering if that'll remove us towards total self sufficiency. People here at work know computers but can't change a tire. Computers areperipheral to real self sufficiency, but i feel you, personally i hope to generate my share for the school from it and simultaneously network with others. GOOD POST

(((((PEACE AFRIKANS)))))

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 05:10 PM

63. "RE: Community Networking"
In response to Reply # 62

The community networking concept is more than just computers. Personally, I used technology to find my professional path. I had plenty of caring adults/mentors that encouraged me to follow my path. I am a visual artist but I did not like the gallery scene so I learned how to use technology to create art, to create content that expressed my inner self. I also used technology to help others. I still read, write, make traditional art and serve others.

Technology is just a tool. I was a straight A and B student. I excelled in literature and science. Caring adults, Black adults helped me realize that in order to be truly self-sufficient I had to learn how to master the tools and be literate on several levels: media, print, computers, Internet, digital equipment, etc.

The caring adults in my life were not my parents. My family was/is battered by all the symptoms of a society that does not encourage or promote the development of self.

What I am offering is the opportunity to use technology as a tool for empowerment--from computer literacy to Web development to streaming. Some people will not see the value of this endeavor but for several people (Black & poor people) this initiative will be the trigger that encourages people to enter the field of multimedia or enhance their current jobs/skills or express themselves or excel in school or find the next step (like me).

"Know thyself"

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:17 PM

64. "The Internet and Self Sufficiency"
In response to Reply # 62

>compters are cool ways of generating
>capital, just wondering if that'll
>remove us towards total self
>sufficiency. People here at work
>know computers but can't change
>a tire. Computers areperipheral to
>real self sufficiency, but i
>feel you, personally i hope
>to generate my share for
>the school from it and
>simultaneously network with others. GOOD
>POST

No computer won't bring about self sufficiency by themselves, but I wouldn't say they are peripheral to it, rather they are the root of self sufficiency now that they provide communication links around the world. Think about how much more progress can be made through the networking and contacts at a site like this or through the power of email, connecting like minded people across the US and on the other side of the world. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that computers and communication technology will be the source of any revolutionary movements. I think the internet is the most democratizing technological development ever. Will it make for a self sufficient school? No, it will not grow your food or power your lights. But it will enable you to get the information on alternative energy, Afrikan history, community education, food production, etc, that are the building blocks of eventual self sufficiency. While all this information may be available in other forms, it is much easier and quicker to access via the internet. But all this is secondary I think to its value in connecting people and enabling them to share ideas, come together and make plans for the transformation of communities and nations. This is why I'd say computers, as tools of communication, are at the root of self sufficiency.

MJ

utamaroho

Wed Mar-07-01 07:05 AM

65. "HOWEVER"
In response to Reply # 64

we have no control over the internet or the technology on which it is built. if MCI worldcom wanted to deny access through their channels, telephonelines, servers etc. we'd be ass out. we don't own the physical means or the control over this media at all. that's why i saw it's peripheral. it can be taken away so easily and then we'd have to beg/rally/protest for massa to give us back a few crumbs. I work in this field and realize the internet with all teh entertainment and media possibilities is like a high tech minstrel show in some respects, sort of like basketball. there are enough players but with all their income and capital they could never produce the league themselves because they own none of the industries it takes to PRODUCE, i.e. television companies, stadiums, leagues etc. in this age we gravitate towards technology when it's owned by someone else.

i'll marinate on possible solutions, PEACE

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 09:39 AM

68. "I considered that..."
In response to Reply # 65

But concluded it wasn't a real barrier to self-sufficiency given the freedoms of expression in this country. Do you think all internet service providers would refuse to serve your school? At any cost? Do you think there are no black-owned ISP's that would support you? I'm wondering what exactly you're looking for in self-sufficiency. It seems to be more of a philosophical self-sufficiency than a practical one. As long as you are using land in this country, using tools and materials and other resources aquired in from others, you will be dependent to a degree. If you take the most extreme view of self-sufficiency as complete autonomy you are making things much more difficult than I think they need to be. I think there's a point where you need to compromise and realize that as long as you are funding the school through your own business etc, that you are self sufficient. I mean you could make the argument that starting your own businesses to fund the school makes you dependent on capitalism and on US currency. You feel me?

MJ

utamaroho

Wed Mar-07-01 11:27 AM

73. "CURRENCY"
In response to Reply # 68

US currency is not essential to independence/self sufficiency. Capital is a myth, imagine what a system would be like without the dollar, well, at least a school/community. I read up on some Amish communities, they only get money for the purpose of paying land taxes, that's it. period. A real community can exist independent of the status quo. Peripheral businesses would involve thmselves in the world but their bankruptcy wouldn't affect a truly independent community. There are ways of doing this, just look at the US as a whole. This country is self sufficient and only reaches out for non-necessities from other countries. The first think is realizing one can build their own without help or need from another, when you start thinking that way, you incorporate a needful attitude. I understand working within the system, but i propose being able to survive independently within it. Not everyone pays land taxes in this country, i'd integrate with them in "ideal" circumstances. Also, blacks can own an ISP, but MCI worldcom owns the backbone and lines, which ULTIMATELY are controlled by the US govt. To underestimate their desire to keep a community from succeeding is naive. I guess i'm looking at it in a worst case scenario mindset, or looking out for a community's redundancy to stay afloat. PEACE

(((((PEACE)))))

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 11:46 AM

74. "RE: CURRENCY"
In response to Reply # 73

Good points about bartering and being independent of currency, utamaroho...

>This country
>is self sufficient and only
>reaches out for non-necessities from
>other countries.

I would disagree on this because the US consumes an incredible amount of foreign oil every year, over 50% of our supply is imported. Plus so much that we consume (clothes and other manufactured goods) are produced overseas. Yes we could *survive* without international trade but life would be very, very different.

>Also, blacks can own an
>ISP, but MCI worldcom owns
>the backbone and lines, which
>ULTIMATELY are controlled by the
>US govt.

Yes in the US that's true but what about using off-shore or satellite resources for your communications? I don't know the situation currently, but soon you will be able to be connected from literally anywhere. PLUS, it's very hard to monitor non-website based net activity. Emailing is very effective once you have your network of members established.

>To underestimate their
>desire to keep a community
>from succeeding is naive.

I agree with you here, but I'm saying I don't think they have the means to stop you from communicating.

MJ

utamaroho

Wed Mar-07-01 12:05 PM

75. "RE: CURRENCY"
In response to Reply # 74

>>Plus so much that we consume (clothes and other manufactured goods) are produced overseas. Yes we could *survive* without international trade but life would be very, very different.

Glad you said very different and not difficult, or impossible, the US is a good example in the sense that even within itself there are american producers who scream "buy american". This country produces what it needs. Oil is not a necessity, it is used primarily as a luxury item. Human beings can survive without out its more destructive uses (if we don't learn how to and apply it, this planet will indeed pay soon enough). The satellite idea was cool though.

The US was a bad example in the sense that this country's main drives are disgusting. Since everything is based on money, it's no wonder why clothes and other "luxuries" are produced overseas. That's where the profits come from, produce cheap sell high. So people will naturally have this community mentality without ever questioning whether its good or not. Some high school teacher will tell her students that the US is a global community, we have happy relations with everyone on the planet, but will not say the specifics about those relations. This country networks in order to exploit, then boasts this "global community" idea. The first premises should be on total automony if not at least in thought. Keeping this as the core will expose bad ideas and stray from them.

yes life would be very, very different, but i'm 100% positive that way would be more positive than what's happening now. Like i said before, i'm more of the idealist, Solarus is the realist. Cued points to a balance and his way actualizing my ideas. the process though is Thought, Word, Deed. this dialog is helping us start something though.

(((((PEACE)))))

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 07:17 AM

66. "Guidance from an Elder"
In response to Reply # 0

HOtep

This is a response from our elder, Mwalimu Baruti (Professor Larry Crawford) upon a request for guidance on nationbuilding for which I am most humbly grateful.

PEace
Solarus

Hotep Solarus,

Such deep questions so early in the morning. Nationbuilding knows no time does it? Two points in relation to the enormous question you have posed about Afrikan centered education (and I know that this discussion will continue because it must). There are a number of other contacts that you should make in relation to this question if you want to get to the contemporary experience of this developing institution. I don't remember if you were made aware that we have a full-time and afterschool Afrikan centered home school program currently housing ten students. Coming to the end of two years has taught a lot of lessons. But, anyway, back to your questions. Imhotep, which our daughter attended for nearly three years is not an Afrikan centered school. It is a black school with a tinge of Afrikan-American history infused into the curriculum, and even that is dependent on the whim of too many of the bougeoisie parents whose money controls the political direction of the school. Most of us Afrikan centered parents have left Imhotep in order to start our own full-time, part-time (including weekend)programs with a central Afrikan focus. This is not to negate or disparage some of the faculty there. But faculty are limited by the school's agenda and when the primary agenda is profit then Afrikan politics are automatically compromised. And that is not to say that profits cannot be great in an Afrikan centered setting. It is only to say that profits should remain secondary and the political, cultural, historical and spiritual center of the children should always be first. I would not consider studying Imhotep as a model. It has changed dramatically in the last five years. And it may, in reality, have never been what we imagined because we came there from an even less Afrikan centered setting.

I checked out some of the discussion on "okayplayer." Quite good and interesting discussion about nationbuilding. I am familiar with the work of all the artists you cited (my daughter keeps me "hip However, in the context of nationbuilding, I absolutely side with John Henrik Clarke who said that Europeans should in no way be a part of family discussions. Asa's work is excellent but I would also suggest that you consider Kwame Agyei Akoto's Nationbuilding: Theory and Practice in Afrikan Centered Education and Kwame Agyei and Akua Nson Akoto's The Sankofa Movement: ReAfrikanization and the Reality of War (if not available at Mutano's Store they can be acquired at www.afrikandieli.com and are worth more than gold) as even more primary and practical handbooks for building Afrikan centered educational institutions. They have decades of experience and much, much honored respect among us Afrikan centered warrior scholars.

Developing the institutions that can independently provide Afikan centered education is a struggle that most of us are not prepared to face. But it must be done or our children will become European.

Peace and Madase, Mwalimu Baruti

heru
Charter member
194 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 08:29 AM

83. "RE: Guidance from an Elder"
In response to Reply # 66

i can't open this website: www.afrikandieli.com
is this the correct address?

very great discussion! has there been any discussion on the acutal physical construction of the school? coming from an architectural perspective, it is imperative to keep this in mind as well. if designed properly, an edifice has the ability to stimulate the creative genius that resides in all of us.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 08:34 AM

84. "RE: Guidance from an Elder"
In response to Reply # 83

>i can't open this website: www.afrikandieli.com
>
>is this the correct address?

This is the address he sent me. I'll have to check back with him.

>
>very great discussion! has there been
>any discussion on the acutal
>physical construction of the school?
>coming from an architectural perspective,
>it is imperative to keep
>this in mind as well.
>if designed properly, an edifice
>has the ability to stimulate
>the creative genius that resides
>in all of us.

That is something I rarely here discussed by is very important. Do you have any more info on that subject?

PEAce
Solarus

heru
Charter member
194 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 08:58 AM

85. "RE: Guidance from an Elder"
In response to Reply # 84

>That is something I rarely
>here discussed by is very important.
>Do you have any more info on that subject?

both of my thesis projects for my undergraduate and graduate degrees (in architeture) dealt with aspects of KMTic architecture. the past several years, i have been working in the profession of architecture, so i haven't had the opportunity to continue my research. nevertheless, it continues to be a passion. my intentions are to begin re-membering my design research and design philosophy.

to answer your question, two ideas immediately come to mind: sacred geometry and feng shui. i haven't done extensive research in either of these areas yet (i've read books here and there), however, it is my opinion that these two areas would definitely be appropriate to assist in stimulating creative genius. of course, they are just the tip of the iceberg...

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 07:54 AM

67. "academic resources"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.library.cornell.edu/africana/Library/schools.htm

k. orr

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 10:37 AM

69. "More on Self-sufficiency & the Net"
In response to Reply # 0

Actually, I am in agreement that technology is periphery to personal development and "Nation building" in the larger sense. However, I do think the mastery of tools is critical in becoming self-sufficient whether one is changing a tire, building a house or developing a Net portal or Web site. Learning to use these tools or do these projects is important, part of one's toolbox or skills. Being able to use these tools provides more options and that leads to economic self-sufficiency, more control over one's life, better ability to contribute, etc.

Becoming an Internet service provider requires high-speed Internet access. Part of any community or nation is communication/networking. One could purchase a big server, other equipment and software and, with the high-speed connection, serve members of their community-- become a small ISP. This is the same as buying land, getting a permit from the local government to build a school, and buying all the materials/supplies to build the school.

Self-sufficiency requires competency, expertise and experience. It requires knowing how to work the system in order to transcend the system. If the Nation wants to grow, organically, it needs to support and attract people with the right mindset and with the skills/knowledge in order to build a network or a school or anything else.

"Know thyself"

utamaroho

Wed Mar-07-01 10:49 AM

70. "what about this?"
In response to Reply # 69

HERE IS A REPOST..

we have no control over the internet or the technology on which it is built. if MCI worldcom wanted to deny access through their channels, telephonelines, servers etc. we'd be ass out. we don't own the physical means or the control over this media at all. that's why i saw it's peripheral. it can be taken away so easily and then we'd have to beg/rally/protest for massa to give us back a few crumbs. I work in this field and realize the internet with all teh entertainment and media possibilities is like a high tech minstrel show in some respects, sort of like basketball. there are enough players but with all their income and capital they could never produce the league themselves because they own none of the industries it takes to PRODUCE, i.e. television companies, stadiums, leagues etc. in this age we gravitate towards technology when it's owned by someone else.
i'll marinate on possible solutions, PEACE

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 10:55 AM

71. "# 68, "I considered that...""
In response to Reply # 70

check out my response in post 68 on the topic of self-sufficiency

MJ

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 01:20 PM

76. "RE: what about this?"
In response to Reply # 70

"As long as you are using land in this country, using tools and materials and other resources aquired in from others, you will be dependent to a degree."

I am thinking along Mesnja's lines about what we are using right now to build community: computers, the Net, ISPs, etc. This is a new day for Afrikan people, for Black people. Black people have more tools than ever before. Perhaps people are questioning whether or not people need "technology" at all but this only makes it confusing or more complicated since we still have to buy land with Western money and use other resources controlled by the US.

In my post about self-sufficiency I was just expanding, clarifying the issue from my p.o.v. I am not even talking about compromising but considering what is needed to generate the kind of community engagement and revenue-generation needed to learn or master a variety of tools, including technology. As long as people own or create the content of anything they will have control. Teaching people how to create the content, master the tool(s), etc. will lead to more Black folks owning or controlling something.

It has to start somewhere. Europeans came at the world, at Afrikans from all sides: economically, spiritually, educationally, etc. They created content for the arts, media and print and they conditioned us. We have to do the same, coming from all sides.

"Know thyself"

utamaroho

Wed Mar-07-01 02:30 PM

77. "I UNDERSTAND"
In response to Reply # 76

good point, very clear too.

also, i think about going about it this way: instead of paying GA power for 50 years, invest money in area in which we can produce our own. i.e. solar power. same thing in every area. just getting to the thougt process of initial investment=long term self sufficiency is where i'm going with this. often people say "black people pay for what they want, and beg for what they need." we need to invest in a future of self sufficiency, as in FORGET AMERICA, we can survive on our own mentality. *this is the idealist thinking, but what if?...*

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Wed Mar-07-01 07:45 PM

78. "RE: I UNDERSTAND"
In response to Reply # 77

What if we could go even farther than solar power and use water to create power. I am sure some engineers out there can share their knowledge and skills in this area to use the land and other natural elements to generate enough energy and power to support a large community.

Find some engineers, some farmers/agriculturalists, teachers, doctors, accountants, lawyers and even communications/network specialists with the vision and I am sure they will be able to help strengthen the infrastructure to build a community/Nation.

Of course the real challenge is finding competent experise with the mindset or vision to take on these tasks and achieve the goals. How many Black people who are competent and make decent money would be willing to walk away from a stable job to support this effort?

"Know thyself"

utamaroho

Thu Mar-08-01 07:20 PM

89. "there are enough people"
In response to Reply # 78

we're just scattered, ALL revolutions anyways start with a small group of people, the status quo are just too comfortable to do it, so it's not really numbers but intense dedicated people, i used to say i could change the world by myself (still do, when i consider i'm everything in existence) and that's the type of attitude needed, unselfish community responsibilty and intense continual discipline. (((((PAZ))))))

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 07:48 AM

82. "RE: I UNDERSTAND"
In response to Reply # 77

Solar power is key. Let me know what you find out about it in your research. I have always felt that solar power will be especially valuable in Africa because (a) it relies on the sun, which is plentiful and (b) it is completely decentralized and lends itself well to remote areas or areas of sparse settlement. Everyone always says solar power is not cheap enough to be pratical yet, but I don't know specifics. It's environmental footprint is basically nothing as well.

MJ

Concept427

Thu Mar-08-01 12:29 PM

86. "I'm a product"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you familiar with any afrikan centered school, more specificly in the DC area..there are a few...u should look into..

they teach and instruct"Afrikcan education with Afrikan culture"...

i apologize if this was already discussed i didn't read all the replies...contact me if any questions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One day he gon'say "You crowdin my space" - Erykah Badu

"He's not just Black..., he's BLACK Black"

"Lose your eyesight increase your insight" - - John Henrik Clarke

http://concept.vze.com

utamaroho

Thu Mar-08-01 11:11 PM

90. "which one, where at?"
In response to Reply # 86

i'm gonna be up there in may, maybe i can check it out. seeing some of the other posts and knowing there are some schools setting the example, makes me wanna do some research.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Mar-27-01 06:30 PM

92. "Sankofa Conference"
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep
I just heard about it last week from she-RA and saw a flyer for it today.

April 6-8, the Sankofa Conference will be held in DC. It is a conference of the consortium of Afrikan-centered charter schools across America.

Any DC players trying to go?

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 08:38 AM

94. "sounds interesting..."
In response to Reply # 92

are there any registration fees? contact people?

Homer: Do you wanna change your name to Homer, Jr? All the kids can call you HoJo!
Bart: uhh...I'll get back to you...

"how u gonna tell me to mind my biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

"writer's block is a...I mean, it's like...uh...damn." ~~Me

~~~~

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 07:43 AM

102. "More info"
In response to Reply # 94

It's being held at a charter school in NW DC on PArk Road.

The cost is $28 for student for the whole weekend of April 6- 8 AND $15 PER STUDENT per day.

I need to get a copy of the flyer.

Peace
Solarus

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 05:11 AM

104. "thanks n/m"
In response to Reply # 102

Homer: Do you wanna change your name to Homer, Jr? All the kids can call you HoJo!
Bart: uhh...I'll get back to you...

"how u gonna tell me to mind my biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

~~~~

utamaroho

Wed Apr-04-01 05:12 PM

105. "RE: thanks n/m"
In response to Reply # 104

you in atl?

(((((PEACE)))))

Time's up for giving people "breaks." Either come correct or don't come at all. The time for "trying" is up, either DO or keep your mouth shut. Nobody wants to hear about "attempts". Actions and successes speak for themselves. Solarus & Myself

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Thu Apr-05-01 07:40 AM

107. "no...baltimore n/m"
In response to Reply # 105

"I am the Invincible Sword Goddess...the desert dragon..." ~~Jen

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." ~~anonymous
"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

~~~~

utamaroho

Wed Mar-28-01 07:04 AM

93. "A GATHERING OF MEN"
In response to Reply # 0

Saturday, april 21, 2001 10am-5pm Loudermilk Center 40 Courtland Street

tickets can be picked up at Life Essentials, Cascade Rd.

Main speaker: Adeyemi Bandele, founder of Men on the Move

1)Learn how to experience fulfilling relationships

2)Learn how to communicate efectively with your significant other

3)Be supported in healing the relationship with your father or son

4)create your own affirmations

5)How to create male support groups for your community, religious institution, or school

thurmanhall

Wed Mar-28-01 08:06 PM

100. "I missed this?!?"
In response to Reply # 93

You goin to this?

one

utamaroho

Thu Mar-29-01 07:05 AM

101. "hopefully"
In response to Reply # 100

if not, i'll have two or three brothers go in my stead

Brooklynbeef
Member since May 30th 2002
4649 posts
Thu Mar-10-05 02:25 PM

111. "2001?"
In response to Reply # 93

?

"Forget Black History Month, how about live an African History Life"-Ansley Burrows

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Thu Mar-10-05 02:37 PM

112. "lol...in case u aint read the date stamp, this post was made"
In response to Reply # 111

in 2001

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net

Brooklynbeef
4649 posts
Fri Mar-11-05 05:21 PM

117. "hahahahahahah"
In response to Reply # 112

Yah got me.

"Forget Black History Month, how about live an African History Life"-Ansley Burrows

M2
Charter member
10072 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 09:38 AM

95. "RE: NATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING..."
In response to Reply # 0

This sort of Communal, Wholistic, Utpoic thing is not me...and I wasn't even going to post here...for fear of bringing in my negativity about "self sufficient communities". SO I figured I'd stay away from ideology and give some organizational advice...I figure I'm a consultant...it's what I do so...

-The first thing ya'll need to do is to conduct a DETAILED DETAILED DETAILED analysis of the financial needs of your organization over the next 5-10 years. You have to take into account changes in the economy, changes in your own personal situations, the needs of the school, etc.

-You'll also need to plan your growth in stages, E.g. We need this much to launch, we'll do this next, then this, then this.

-Starting a business in order to fund the school REALLY worries me. Stating a business is a serious undertaking unto itself and it can take a few years before you're profitable AND are in a position to divert profits away from growing the business and put it somewhere else.

You also need to think about the Profit Margins, and HOW you are going to support yourself while you're running this business. NEVER start a business and depend on it for your primary income at the same time.

-For funding, I advice you to start this as community based Venture Fund. You solicit investors, donations, etc.....and use the money initially to invest in the community....aside from this, you will need to do a ton of traditional investing in stocks, bonds, real estate and what not. That is how foundations and private colleges generate funds......you want to build a base of investments that is always generating money and doesn't require a lot of time to manage.

You will also use this money to start businesses, and the school will be one of your ventures. Starting the school and business this way is less risky, because you already have a revenue producing organization and you'll be financially secure.

Funding is going to be your biggest problem, so I'd advise all of you to learn as much about business as you can. You'll also need to recognize that by going the Venture Fund route, that some people will only get involved if they can make a profit. That's ok, as long as you generate the $ you need to get this thing going.

About the Amish, I don't see you starting an agrarian society in the inner city. So I wouldn't use that model, you are going to have to use a "Business" model where you provide a service/product to society at large to generate funds..and then focus the profits in your community. You'll have a larger economic base that way.

When you teach Blacks to start businesses, I'd encourage them to get as big as they can and to sell to as many people as they can. IMHO, too many Black Business focus on just being Black businesses and do themselves a disservice. The biggest problem facing small Black owned Business is that they're too small. I read in Black Enterprise that 50% of all Black Small Businesses make less then 10k/year in revenues.

When the U.S. Business Press says "Small Business" they aren't talking about Mom & Pops...they mean business in large areas that generate between 1-10 million or even as high as 100 million. Overall, a range of 500k to 25 mil is a good rule. Since the people who own this companies, will have a high net worth since they're the only owner (or one of few owners) banks and what not want their business. So remember that when you think about a Hair Salon fitting in that category....the banks and what not aren't all that concerned with those kinds of businesses.

Just something to think about.

Other then that, I think you need a Lawyer, An Accountant and a Financial Advisor, preferably one who is a whiz at arranging financing.

The ideas for how to run this thing, curriculum and what not will always be there. But right now, I think you need to figure out how much money you need in real numbers and get into the nuts and bolts of financing it.

My 0.02

M2

The Blog: http://www.analyticalwealth.com/

An assassin’s life is never easy. Still, it beats being an assassin’s target.

Enjoy your money, but live below your means, lest you become a 70-yr old Wal-Mart Greeter.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Wed Mar-28-01 09:48 AM

96. "Very Much Appreciated"
In response to Reply # 95

See Everyone has something to offer.

PEace
Solarus

utamaroho

Wed Mar-28-01 09:51 AM

97. "you're right"
In response to Reply # 96

remember when i said we need business people?

thanks for the info!

makedax

Wed Mar-28-01 04:56 PM

99. "would like some feedback.."
In response to Reply # 97

on plans that my group has in motion in chicago...we are mos def into nation building and are starting by building a nonprofit org to give the youth/youngadult/adults computer training, writing skills, arts workshops, afrikan self-awareness, etc.etc... if anyone had the time please go to my homepage, http://www.illculture.com , then to the poetryboard/central station, and here u will find the groups bylaws, agenda and constitution.

p.e.a.c.e
(positive energy always creates elevation!)

"if you God then save your own, don't mentally enslave your own" - Ceelo

queenmothersista

Wed Mar-28-01 04:23 PM

98. "My goodness!"
In response to Reply # 0

Greetings,

It took me a while to read, but i'm full. Good post, lots of progressive ideas here. Can't see how I missed it.

Blessings to all.

CROCODILE HUNTER

Thu Mar-29-01 05:22 PM

103. "RE: NATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING..."
In response to Reply # 0

Nice post, informative . Really long though.

masani

Thu Apr-05-01 07:09 AM

106. "RE: NATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING..."
In response to Reply # 0

Don't have the patience to read all the posts but have you heard of CIBI-council of indepenent black institutions? They have a web site-cibi.org(I think).

I wrote a paper on this subject back in 89 for a Black Pschology class. I touched on funding cuz we will need that for recurring supplies and staff training and compensation. Something akin to the UNCF but for the pan-afrakan schools.

There are lots of schools that do not belong to CIBI but are the types of schools you envision. My daughter graduated from one here in Oakland-Umoja House. Sometimes you hear about them by word of mouth. I think we need more organizations like CIBI to build a strong network, world wide.

tygris
Charter member
822 posts
Thu Apr-12-01 12:41 PM

108. "WORLD history as well as african history n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

~*~*~*~*~tygris~*~*~*~*~*~

!!!OKAYoungins - Givin You True Youth Since 2000!!!!

dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - OkayBrazilian - mzhotgirl - Essaywhuman - HersheyBit - Preach - brown_thought - naame - akweykan - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn - Imfntubby - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD - TotalRequestloveLive - WhiGoStaR - smiler - itsmeaight - erjs408 - drFunkenstein - vuduchild - tygris - Afroteck - fLee - sugarflyy- RipRapRoad - Adrenaline - SayWhatMan - Divine Sheba - IlladOLphINS -
ICE - Mr_Sarcastic_tha_Antagonist - 6thSenses - Okayplayer619 - Yunique - okaykelc -

«·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·» «·´¨*·.¸¸..¸¸.·*¨`·»«·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»«·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»«·´¨*·.¸¸..¸¸.·*¨`·» «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·» «·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»«·´¨*·.¸¸..¸¸.·*¨`·» «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Mar-09-05 10:24 PM

109. "lol...this archive shit is like crack."
In response to Reply # 0

CRACK I SAY!

www.northernarc.net

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Mar-10-05 12:53 AM

110. "you had me befuddled as hell."
In response to Reply # 109

i was like, no more bizarro uta?? i will have to read back through this.
btw, congrats on the 'ok'.

peace & blessings,

x.

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all." - Iron Mike

my philosophy on free time:
"and next time when he get it he'll waste it on somethin' useful" - MF Doom

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Mar-11-05 08:00 AM

116. "Wow"
In response to Reply # 109

This really brings back memories...okactivist used to be serious!

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Mon Mar-14-05 04:57 PM

119. "namean? Like, serious for REAL."
In response to Reply # 116

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net

Brooklynbeef
4649 posts
Thu Mar-10-05 02:39 PM

113. "who reposted this?"
In response to Reply # 0

?

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Thu Mar-10-05 02:42 PM

114. "The archives are LIVE, son."
In response to Reply # 113

Post no longer disappear, and there are no more archives now.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Mon Mar-14-05 10:42 PM

120. "surely this is a sign..."
In response to Reply # 114

whooo hooo!!

i'm excited...

people will see the discussions we *used* to have...maybe that'll up the ante a bit.

~~~~
~fear is the mind-killer~

"...jesus had a wife. and she was his
messiah like that stranger may be
yours. who holds the subtle knife that
carves through worlds like magic
doors." ~saul wms

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Tue Mar-15-05 12:10 AM

121. "well, they aint live no more. But hey. This was nice"
In response to Reply # 120

at least we got a taste of what could be...and what has been.

www.ummah1421.com/boards
www.northernarc.net

BarTek
Member since Nov 10th 2002
51250 posts
Tue Mar-15-05 12:29 AM

122. "RE: I am curious,"
In response to Reply # 0

I read over much of the text and I see a lot of great ideas. Some of them are beautiful, even, but, are they not only complete if the black community seperates from the white? is there no other way, but seperation?

peace.
~
This is the life I chose, or rather the life that chose me
If you can't respect that, your whole perspective is whack
Maybe you'll love me when I fade to black
If you can't respect that, your whole perspective is whack
Maybe you'll love me when I f

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Tue Mar-15-05 01:52 AM

123. "great post"
In response to Reply # 0

my two cents..
education should definitely be relevant to the community or society. it seems that most curricula is based on someone's idea of what children should learn in school. so you could be growing up in some remote corner of africa, your community is, say.. pastoralists, but at the school you go to, they're trying to teach you chemistry. its clearly not relevant to your lifestyle. instead it produces kids that *have to go out of their communities in order to *reap the benefits of their education. i think this is wrong. we need to center schools in the community (as you said). because instead of maintaining the diversity that this earth depends on, we are all learning to lead one lifestyle. i think that's why its so difficult for us to even try and fight western "civilisation". you start learning it at age 6.

that said... here's an article from the economist that i thought was .. interesting to say the least. it talks about the problem of underachievement of afro-caribbean kids in britain. and argues against the idea of teaching black kids separately from whites because some study, showed that white kids were doing worse than blacks... so, "whites need help just as badly."

When i was in london and talking to some sudanese kids about their experiences in school, it sounded like they were facing many instances of racism. (and granted, it mighta just been this particular school, who im i to say?). but to whitewash the problem by stating that "whites need help just as badly", i feel underscores the race problem because in another article in the same edition, it states; "Black children are treated more harshly when they misbehave (in 2002-03, Afro-Caribbean children were three times as likely to be expelled as white Britons). Teachers are too white, as is the curriculum"

its interesting that curriculum is mentioned here, but in irony and does not account for the fact that afro-caribbean kids probably should have a curriculum specifically designed to address their cultural viewpoint.

i hope im not spinning off the post. i didn't want to be guilty of creating another post on a much similar topic. and once i think of some other curricula ideas i'll come back and post.. but after i read all the replies, dont want to seem redundant.

but great post, uta.

------------------
here's the article

Black marks

Mar 10th 2005
From The Economist print edition

It's the natives, not the immigrants, that are the problem

WHITE people tend to be nervous of raising the subject of race and education, but are often voluble on the issue if a black person brings it up. So when Trevor Phillips, chairman of Britain's Commission for Racial Equality, said that there was a particular problem with black boys' performance at school, and that it might be a good idea to educate them apart from other pupils, there was a torrent of comment. Some of it commended his proposal, and some criticised it, but none of it questioned its premise. Everybody accepts that black boys are a problem.

On the face of it, it looks as though Mr Phillips is right. Only 27% of Afro-Caribbean boys get five A-C grades at GCSE, the exams taken by 16-year-olds, compared with 47% of boys as a whole and 44% of Afro-Caribbean girls. Since, in some subjects, candidates who score less than 50% get Cs, those who don't reach this threshold have picked up pretty little at school.

Mr Phillips's suggestion that black boys should be taught separately implies that ethnicity and gender explain their underachievement. Certainly, maleness seems to be a disadvantage at school. That's true for all ethnic groups: 57% of girls as a whole get five A-Cs, compared with 47% of boys. But it's not so clear that blackness is at the root of the problem.

Among children as a whole, Afro-Caribbeans do indeed perform badly. But Afro-Caribbeans tend to be poor. So to get a better idea of whether race, rather than poverty, is the problem, one must control for economic status. The only way to do that, given the limits of British educational statistics, is to separate out the exam results of children who get free school meals: only the poor get free grub.

Poor children's results tell a rather different story (see article). Afro-Caribbeans still do remarkably badly, but whites are at the bottom of the pile. All ethnic minority groups do better than them. Even Bangladeshis, a pretty deprived lot, do twice as well as the natives in their exams; Indians and Chinese do better still. And absolute numbers of underperforming whites dwarf those of underperforming Afro-Caribbeans: last year, 131,393 of white boys failed to hit the government's benchmark, compared with 3,151 Afro-Caribbean boys.

These figures suggest that, at school at least, black people's problem is not so much race as poverty. And they undermine the idea of teaching black boys separately, for if poor whites are doing worse than poor blacks, there's not much argument for singling out blacks for special measures: whites need help just as badly.

It's a nice thought
This isn't, however, a message that anybody much wants to hear. Many white people find the idea that there's something fundamentally wrong with black people comforting: it confirms deeply held prejudices and reassures them that a whole complex of social problems—starting with underachievement in schools, but leading on to unemployment, drug addiction and crime—is nothing to do with them.

The race-relations industry also has an interest in explaining educational underachievement in terms of ethnicity. A whole raft of committees, commissions and task forces has been set up on the assumption that racial differences are a fundamental cause of social problems. If that's wrong, then all those worthies might as well pack up and go home.

Trying to explain educational underachievement away as a racial issue may be comforting and convenient, but it is also dangerous, for it distracts attention from the real problem—that the school system fails the poor. That's not a black problem or a white problem: it's a British problem.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #25013 Previous topic | Next topic