Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #15456

Subject: "Why aren't we free?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 03:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why aren't we free?"

"What stops us from being free? We blame the government, we blame the weather, we blame our parents, we blame religion, we blame God. Who really stops us from being free? Sometimes we get married and we say that we lose our freedom, then we get divorced and we are still not free. What stops us? Why can't we be ourselves?" -Don Miguel Ruiz

As an activist, freedom is something I seek for myself and for others. Yet, I had to search my soul to find what freedom really means. During the Civil Rights Movement, there were Freedom Fighters but did we really get free in the '60's? After hundreds of years and all the protests, uprisings and meetings of the minds (community building), are we really free? No.

What really stops us from being free? How can we get free?

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We are
KOALAT
Apr 13th 2001
RE: We are
dobiewonk
Apr 13th 2001
RE: Why aren't we free?
Apr 13th 2001
would you say...
Apr 13th 2001
      RE: would you say...
Apr 13th 2001
           amen to this:
Apr 13th 2001
Apr 13th 2001
Revenge4Diallo
Apr 13th 2001
whoa....
May 01st 2001
Personal Freedom
Apr 13th 2001
excellent words n/m
Apr 13th 2001
DrB
Apr 13th 2001
Because people don't think they are.
Wise_7
Apr 13th 2001
freedom?
styleofreason
Apr 13th 2001
RE: freedom?
Apr 13th 2001
Apr 14th 2001
Apr 14th 2001
UNITY AND SELF LOVE!!!
babymama
Apr 13th 2001
Taxed
Apr 13th 2001
RE: Taxed
Apr 13th 2001
      RE: Taxed
Apr 14th 2001
           Very True
Apr 14th 2001
                RE: Very True
D_Okayplayer
Apr 16th 2001
Leave the country
Apr 17th 2001
like mars?
May 04th 2001

KOALAT

Fri Apr-13-01 04:03 AM

1. "We are"
In response to Reply # 0

Our obsession with victimization and conquest keeps us compelled in believing that either the oppressor must be defeated or we are.

Many people of faith believe however that we are always as free as God and a wide variety of other entities have intended. It is the system itself that locks itself away from enlightenment, righteousness, and peace and those who engage it that are risk of being enslaved to the traditions of struggle.

This is not to say that there is no oppression offered by the state but if you are willing to have faith you may realize that their "power" is not necessarily power over you.

you are free- you just dont know it - and you have yet to disengage from a system that doesnt offer such freedom much less believe in it

K

dobiewonk

Fri Apr-13-01 06:50 AM

9. "RE: We are"
In response to Reply # 1

you are free.....you only bond ya self thinkin ya aint. but if ya make ya moves accordingly, then you will realize, you been free all this time, but aint did shit to prove it to yaself.

so its questions like this that keep you from being free.

as for the government...fuckem

being free is a mindstate as well as a physical condition.

get free nugga!!!!!!!

Zesi
Charter member
24062 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 04:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Why aren't we free?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well.
I say its harder for someone under the thumb of oppression to get free than someone controlling the hand.

That said, I'm not talking about freedom of the mind. There's freedom of the mind, and there's social/political/economic freedom. One does not neccessarily lead to the other.

It just BES that way sometimes.

Yabbadabbadoozilla! (c) Bootzilla
http://www.funkknots.com
http://www.cartoonista.com
http://www.pocho.com

"You might as well pay attention/ you can't afford free speech" -George Clinton

"People need to stop saying that there is one way to be--and then the issue will disappear." Ntozake Shange-interview in _Mother_ _Jones_

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 05:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "would you say..."
In response to Reply # 2

that freedom of the mind is important to have first? I think it is...if your mind/spirit are free, you're naturally going to work towards those other (social, political, etc) freedoms you desire.

personally, though, I think we can't get it together because we keep getting hung up on the means & forget to consider the ends. Who cares if we get there being (for example) Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, whatever...as long as we get there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I am the Invincible Sword Goddess...the desert dragon..." ~~Jen

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"Now let's go back to that... building... thingie... where our beds and tv... is." ~~Homer Simpson

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

"Ignorance: The Verbal Airborne Disease" (c) my friend Ty

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

Zesi
Charter member
24062 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 06:04 AM

8. "RE: would you say..."
In response to Reply # 6

>that freedom of the mind is
>important to have first? I
>think it is...if your mind/spirit
>are free, you're naturally going
>to work towards those other
>(social, political, etc) freedoms you
>desire.

I think it's very important to have. It's also probably the easier of the two. Working on yourself vs. working on the world, and whatnot. Not being free in the mind (as free as one can get, I think those of us who say our minds are totally free are deluding ourselves) will be a detriment to any course of action you decide to take. Also, I don't think being free in the mind will necessarily bring you to any equality.

>personally, though, I think we can't
>get it together because we
>keep getting hung up on
>the means & forget to
>consider the ends. Who cares
>if we get there being
>(for example) Christian, Buddhist, Muslim,
>whatever...as long as we get
>there.

That too, but also, when you think about it, the reason we have these goals to have social/poli/econ freedom, is because our society won't let us have it. It owes us a lot, but it won't give it. When you think about it, it's extremely unfair that disadvantaged people have to work so hard to get the freedoms they are entitled to as human beings, when those with advantage could easily help out, but won't.

It just BES that way sometimes.

Yabbadabbadoozilla! (c) Bootzilla
http://www.funkknots.com
http://www.cartoonista.com
http://www.pocho.com

"You might as well pay attention/ you can't afford free speech" -George Clinton

"People need to stop saying that there is one way to be--and then the issue will disappear." Ntozake Shange-interview in _Mother_ _Jones_

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 06:52 AM

10. "amen to this:"
In response to Reply # 8

>it's extremely unfair
>that disadvantaged people have to
>work so hard to get
>the freedoms they are entitled
>to as human beings, when
>those with advantage could easily
>help out, but won't.

yeah...

the "I got mine, you get yours" mentality is killing the whole spirit of making sure we're all free...

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"Now let's go back to that... building... thingie... where our beds and tv... is." ~~Homer Simpson

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

~~~~

eq8tor
Charter member
261 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 04:19 AM

3. "RE: Why aren't we free?"
In response to Reply # 0

few are....many have the capacity.....butt its almost like their satelite is broken or sum shit.....and they are just not picking up the frequency.....nahimean....cuz i can remember when i was enslaved in that sense......and in a sense i can recall many momets of awakening.....even now....like u have the whole race and color bullshit....then u have the economic bs....gender and gender roles.....sexuality......society.....there are so many things that u have to break away from to become free........and many people just live to get money an dhave sex....and some might honestly believe that that is all that matters......ignorance is why some of us arent free.....truth understanding knowledge love is why some of us are free..........

"...the genuine and not that make pretend" willie goldsmith

http://www.myspace.com/fourtwoseven
come get some...

Revenge4Diallo

Fri Apr-13-01 04:34 AM

4. "RE: Why aren't we free?"
In response to Reply # 0

Because of ignorant cats like Queston4 who fight against their own brothers who wanna be free.

Springfield Okay(We Don't Play)ers Unite!!! Revenge4Diallo, Emeyesi
"We Turn jams into revolutionary parties"
-Talib Kweli

I don't trust the man
that i am becoming
he seems too much
and seldom is
-Saul Williams

I never dreamed she'd leave in summer

"From open mics to solutions, i got a collage of answers, with a ten point program just like the black panthers.

1)first respect ureself as an artist. If u don't respect ureself, then ure rhymes is garbage.

2)Make sure ure crew is as tight as u. cuz when them (brothas) fallin off, they gonna bring u down too.

3)Understand the meanin of MC. the power to move the crowd like moses split the sea.

4)Know ure shit and don't ever be blunted. if u don't know what the words mean, then ure rhymes mean nothin.

5)Kick facts in the raps. and curse with clarity. whats a curse when language is emersed in vulgarity?

6)We gonna fix industrial politrix. shit, they made an art form outta ridin dicks.

7)We soldiers for God needin new recruits, so if u rhymin for the loot then u's a prostitute.

8)Acknowledge that u need food on ure plate. In order to say ure grace make sure ure business is straight.

9)We buildin black minds with intelligence. and when u freestyle keep the subject matter relevant.

10)Every MC grab a pen and write some concious lyrics to tell the children.
I'll say it again. Every MC find u a pen and write drop concious shit for our children.
THE MANIFESTO."
-Talib Kweli

"The P is for Power, the A for action, the N-T because NOW is the TIME to get it done. See the H is for Heart, and the E for Effect. The R hold it down at the end for Respect.
Who am I? A Panther
Who am I? A Panther
What i got? I got SOUL. What I got? I got LOVE. What I got? I got PRIDE. What I wanna be? FREE. Raise ure hands in the air if u feel like me."
-Mos Def

AOL AIM: Sincere 6 16 71, Huey4289, CrackerKiller413, Nat X Junior, Da Fields Finest, Str8 OUTda FIELD, CoppaDroppa41 19, Knowledge61671, Brainstorm61671, Judakiss2000, AllRacesCombined

QuestOn4
Member since Aug 08th 2003
39 posts
Tue May-01-01 05:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "whoa...."
In response to Reply # 4

you can't post without bringing me up?

Could you loosen the grip on my dick, please? Damn.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 05:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Personal Freedom"
In response to Reply # 0

I think personal freedom is the first step. Stop looking to other people and look within to be oneself. I don't think I would have the effect or influence I have in my field without feeling free myself. I have had to break internal agreements or contracts with the world, with media, with society and it's norms or standards in order to be free.

I had to develop my spiritual connection to Divine power or will in order to break free from material and social shackles in order to get free. I have had to live my life without being afraid to take risks and explore life. I am not afraid of losing anything and I am not afraid to die because of faith.

Freedom means surrender, being able to be present in life not a bystander, to live life without fear of self expression. I know what I want, don't want and when I want it. I am willing to live my life the way I want to, not afraid to ask for what I need and live without fear of being judged by others. In turn I do not judge others and I do not feel responsible for anyone's opinions.

True activism means starting from your corner, findng like minds (if necessary) to do the work but doing the work regardless because your are free.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 06:01 AM

7. "excellent words n/m"
In response to Reply # 5

~~~~

DrB

Fri Apr-13-01 08:00 AM

11. "RE: Why aren't we free?"
In response to Reply # 0

There is an excellent book called: "The Secrect of Freedom" by Vernon Turner!!!!
Probably one of the best short stories I've ever read! If you have the money, and time, I seriously suggest this book.
I won't get deep into it, but it brings up very good points as to what holds us back... basically it's FEAR! Fear of not being in control... but "control is an illusion" (Anthony Hopkins - Instint).
So to be free, you must not have Fear... to me, that's step one! Then you must believe in yourself!!

--how will you ever learn if you never fail... how will you ever fail if you never try!
drB

Wise_7

Fri Apr-13-01 09:02 AM

12. "Because people don't think they are."
In response to Reply # 0

"We've been marching for 200 years, but aint moved an inch."- Claud Anderson

"People think they make music, still/ when music is there without you or me, we just manipulate/ for better or worse, so let it situate"- Deltron

styleofreason

Fri Apr-13-01 09:36 AM

13. "freedom?"
In response to Reply # 0

Many claim to be free,but wonder why they take two steps ahead and fall three steps back. I always seem to wonder why,cant the human soul remain free,just for a day. It seems to be that in everyday life the day seems to be a battle in it self. Ive come to one conclusion, that the only way to be free is to seek the one that gave the true meaning of being free. But the question is free from what? To me I would give anything to be free from the thing that stops us from being free, and that is sin. It is a stronghold that has many inslaved to it. Since the beginning,men have tried to defeat it by themselves,but find it not as easy as it seems. The bible says if you are free, you are free indeed. And God offers that freedom, the freedom that lets you be free from the force that trys to hold you down,till theres no room to breath... Sip on this thought, Why do most claim to be free, when there soul is in deep anguish. Praise be to Christ,he truly set me free....

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 09:48 AM

14. "RE: freedom?"
In response to Reply # 13

>But the
>question is free from what?
>To me I would give
>anything to be free from
>the thing that stops us
>from being free, and that
>is sin.

I have read that one could be in the middle of hell and still be free within. It's about being free from anything except the inner self, one's illusions and conditioning. God is love and love is not about materials, ego, conflict, power, etc. Self-esteem is self-love and self-knowledge and these things lead to true freedom. Love is freedom.

"Know thyself"

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 10:00 AM

19. "RE: freedom?"
In response to Reply # 13

Amen, I hope people read this reply. Happy Easter, everybody!

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 10:06 AM

20. "RE: freedom?"
In response to Reply # 19

I don't know if we are free on a social/economic/political/etc level. So much evil goes on in the world, and especially when it is not part of our daily lives, we tend to forget. Then we watch a documentary and get depresed... then forget about it again. But remembering wouldn't change anything anyway.

I think maybe we all have the capacity to be free (from anything - how hard we'd have to fight depends on free from what), but our human weaknesses make it pretty hard to believe we'll ever actually be free.

Just throwin out thoughts.

babymama

Fri Apr-13-01 10:06 AM

15. "UNITY AND SELF LOVE!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

WE ARE NOT FREE BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH UNITY AND SELF-LOVE!!! UNITY AND SELF LOVE! UNITY AND SELF LOVE!!!!

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 10:27 AM

16. "Taxed"
In response to Reply # 0

I can feel freedom in one light but it will not be full until people who want a better future for thier children fight for it. to say,"yeah i am free cuz i love myself" is wonderful, but love yourself enough to fight for what is yours. if i was free, i would not worry about walking out of the store with something without paying the tax on it. i would be able to work and at least 95% of the money i spent would be spent by me and not 50%. if i were free i would not be threatened to send my child to a public school, to a person who i have no clue about and who more than likely will be overworked and underpaid and disgruntled and cannot teach my child any better than me. if i was free tho. internal freedom is superior to me than external freedom however, external freedom is very important.

peace

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Apr-13-01 10:44 AM

17. "RE: Taxed"
In response to Reply # 16

External freedom? For me that's impossible. I have no control over what other people do, what the government does, what educators do but I can keep from getting caught up in that madness by having faith and being true to what I want and need, being true to what I am put on this planet to do.

If I am walking down the street and someone attacks me because of the color of my skin, I have no control over their behavior and I can't take it personally. However, I can act or respond in a way that is true to who I am, whatever that is. If a teacher mistreats my child, I can take steps to make sure it never happens again. This is the core of activism: action. I can take steps to make sure I get the most positive thing out of every situation, no matter what it is.

This is why I can be in the middle of hell and still be free.

"Know thyself"

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 09:23 AM

18. "RE: Taxed"
In response to Reply # 17

Peace,

I agree with everything you said. What I was gettin' at was that being complacent ,like so many of us are, will get us nowhere. Of course you can't control but at the same time things are really out of hand. So prevention and action must take place. I have seen so many of us get run over and it is as if we are still on the plantation. It was wrong then and it is still wrong.

Peace

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Sat Apr-14-01 07:50 PM

21. "Very True"
In response to Reply # 18

> What I was gettin'
>at was that being complacent
>,like so many of us
>are, will get us nowhere.

And I need to constantly remind myself to ACT, not to sit back and play victim or be the judge.

> I have
>seen so many of us
>get run over and it
>is as if we are
>still on the plantation.

Who allows us to get run over? We live a self-fulfilling prophecy, a cycle that says we have no control. I get so caught up in what other people are doing that I lose sight of what I am supposed to do to stay peaceful, sane, joyful...free? Even on the plantation there were some of us that escaped, risking lives and still some got free. After the so-called "Emancipation", some of us wanted to stay on the plantation rather than step out and make a life for themselves and their families.

This is our legacy and we need to step away from that to get the social/economic/politcal freedom so many of us dream about. But it has to start with self.

Thank You!

"Know thyself"

D_Okayplayer

Mon Apr-16-01 04:15 AM

22. "RE: Very True"
In response to Reply # 21

You know.... My way of dealing with it is....
Ya may not be free in the flesh, ya may not be free in this life. But deep in my heart and my soul. As long as I got The lord Jesus Christ and God, I'malways going to be free because I know the place I'm going when this short "life" ends.... I'm going to a better life....Word!!!
Peace.....
D'

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Apr-17-01 03:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Leave the country"
In response to Reply # 0

Take our cultural capital and apply it somewhere else where we can take, or at least share the power.

k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Fri May-04-01 07:30 PM

25. "like mars?"
In response to Reply # 23

Freedom isn't moving away from your oppressor, for two reasons.

1) If you aren't free, you can't move.

We've got an oppressive government, and a repressive moral majority. The result? People who aren't free -- be they black people, gay people, disabled people, native americans...whoever -- don't have the capital or the time or the opportunity to just up and leave.

2) Liberty is having freedom WHERE YOU ARE. If you can't be free where you are, you aren't free.

Alek

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #15456 Previous topic | Next topic