Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #77909

Subject: "fire's stankonia review" This topic is locked.
Search result list | First match | Last match
fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Oct-31-00 06:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"fire's stankonia review"

THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

Let me preface my song by song review by saying, I was very afraid of liking this album just because outkast is my favorite group, but the songs being sub-par. I have listened to stankonia objectively and subjectively and decided that I am not prejudiced in my views, I’m just right.

INTRO – Very Parliament 2000. Gives me a feeling of being somewhere out there, mars maybe? This is the kind of music that should have beenthe score on the Fifth Element or something.

BREAK (this is consistent throughout the record. the chant heard before leaving a football huddle. it’s very cute)

GASOLINE DREAMS – talk about moving back and forth! The bassline in the song is what u drive to, this song is made for blasting out your car stereo. the first introduction of distorted lead vocals shows up here. Dre sounds real angry, al sharpton like. Big Boi, sounds mad. Khujo (my favorite Goodie member/ceelo too & big gipp) is featured on here in just the right spot. The bass guitar is what makes the song extra special. in fact this song would not be this song if it weren’t for the bass guitar. it is the thing that makes u feel like u’re at the amoco filling up AND a political rally. It’s perfect for burning a flag dipped in gasoline

I’M COOL (interlude) – B*tch stay off dat blow! Very funny, cause u think she’s talking about love or something then u just realize she’s a powdered donut. it’s very blair witchy by the way, I feel like the camera is in her face & she’s getting it wet with her snot bubbles.

SO FRESH, SO CLEAN - Who knew that pimping wasn’t dirty? Exactly which ohio players song this REMINDS me of I can’t think of right now, but when I get home I’m popping in Funk on Fire (the anthology you MUST own) and I’m gonna remind meself which album this is from. Then again, is this a sly and the family stone influence? …….Fuck it! all I know is that my FAVORITE, Sleepy Brown & Rico Wade (organized noize) is on the lead hook vocals hooking shit up lovely! and u people wonder why I herald sleepy’s theme & society of soul so much….it’s because of the straight FUNK he puts on music just by showing up. I love Big Boi’s verse on here, he really makes u feel his “mack”, I see his pink gators as he’s spitting. Andre has REALLY been listening to sly & this is a GOOD thing. it is the thing that puts the right amount of funk in the right place. the bridge is dope as funk on this song! it’s so perfect. THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

MS. JACKSON – Although the radio tried to spoil my initial hearing of this album by putting this song in regular rotation, they did nothing of the sort cause this song is SICK! Who in the hell put these lyrics on top of this track? it’s perfect. the concept is so real. I know a million and one people that have been or go through this baby daddy/baby mama mama drama a million and one times. But, I’ve never heard anybody record it, not in rap? The here comes the bride on the keys & the upright piano were a good move. the “I am for real” makes u really think that they thought about what they were saying AND felt it. My 3 year old nephew LOVES this song which leads me to believe and know that it is gonna be a HUGE hit © Steve. Did I mention that Aaron Mills/Cameo is playing the bass on this song? Thus the severe funk feeling of the song. I love the piano playing the wedding march with the bass guitar at the end, it’s faint but effective. I love the way the song ends! oh well, enough I’ll prolly hate it by the end of the summer cause of the radio. THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

SNAPPIN & TRAPPIN -- …sigh…..i don’t’ think I really am overwhelmed by this song. it’s not bad, but it’s not as good as the previous three. it almost could fuck up my high if I got high, underdig? but it’s not bad. I think I like the lyrics better than the track or is it the track I like more, or is it that the lyrics and the track are both good, but they aren’t good together? it’s like donuts and soda. yeah, that’s the ticket! this song is donuts and soda. maybe it will grow on me maybe not. it prolly will, cause as I type I’m listening to it in my headphones and I realized that the track is bananas! it sounds like nintendo or something. in fact I retract the last paragraph I typed. I like this song. I really like the reggae ending. I’m sorry for being a waffler.

D.F. INTERLUDE – The trumpet/trombone thing going on here is an example of unfair interludes. u know the kind u want to last longer than 1 minute? big boi brings in his infamous “cooler than a polar bears toenails” line, again to make u remember the past but thank it for bring u the future. here comes the “break!” (--------------I love that thing!)

SPAGHETTI JUNCTION – I cannot for the life of me remember where the interpolation (replayed sample) is from? what is it? it’s driving me CRAZY! well whatever it is, it works, oh so well! then comes sleepy, again! I think this is a bbq song. not a during the barbeque song, but a before everybody gets to the house song. fuck it, the whole album is so this doesn’t make any sense. I really like this track! the earth wind and fire horns give it that super extra special sauce. as a matter of fact, the horns make the track. I wonder how many crates this boy/these boys were digging in? this is ridiculous! it sounds like easy mo bee crossed with ewf. ending with a hybrid of mayfield. I love sleepy’s vocals!

KIM & COOKIE (interlewd) – I hate the way these broads talk, then again I love it! it’s the duplicity of me. they sound JUST like my cousins in north cackalacky. it’s really funny when she mentions the number of bodies on his pistol . BREAK!

CALL BEFORE I COME – Nigga quit being so god damn selfish! what to say except this is Definitively reminiscent of something of off diamonds & pearls/symbol album. it’s so FUCKING DOPE! okay, dre singing…..I love it! the backgrounds are perfect. is arista sure that prince rogers nelson wasn’t in the studio? these backgrounds are so him and sly. okay. then comes gangsta boo……………..it’s not bad, it’s just…………it’s different. I’m gonna stop typing until she & that other girl stop squawking.
………………………………………………………………………………………………
………………………………………………………………………………………………
I love the prince feel! I love it! THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

B.O.B – since we all love this song, I don’t need to review it. yes I do. let me just say that the church organ/bass combination is THE SHIT! I love the way that this song has constant progressions to a climax (ala stevie wonder). this is what separates the boys from the men. that frigging bass guitar lick in the hook is the jawn! I love big boi and dre on this song. I just love this song. it’s so unexpected. then in comes the numbers/ east meets sun sheets sound. (what’s the name of that group? why can’t I remember?) Don’t pull the thang out! okay by the end of the second hook, I have counted 4 different instrument introductions into this song, sheer progression. The bass solo/transeurope express/dj scratch combo/church choir seguing into a chant is the ultimate shit. this has to be one of the best rap songs I’ve heard in while. Power music electric revival. this is what this music is, powerful. THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

XPLOSION – B Real is real mad at somebody! his label, xxl, he’s pissed. I figured out the feeling this album gives me.!!!!!! the feeling that cypress hill’s first album had! it’s so influential. I like the hi hat in this song and the background noise. There go those distorted vocals again, gotta love em. The clavichord is what makes this song what it is, a good song.

GOOD HAIR (interlude) – I love this interlude most of all. why? cause only a real been around black women, black man is gonna know what hawaiin silky is. that shit is funny as hell!

WE LUV DEEZ HOEZ – Very Dr. Dre/Chronic 92. The only thing missing from this song is Nate Dogg. I think that this whole song will be my misogynist quote for november. it’s so anti-woman. disrespectful is not the word. I’m glad that this isn’t outkast’s whole steez or I would have to rethink my allegiance to them. only too short can be that ignorant that long and get away with it. It has filler song written all over it. …..until big gipp shows up and takes the spotlight. he’s so damn dope. his drawl is my kinda drawl. I can hear his gold teeth through the headphones. (did joi hear this song?)

HUMBLE MUMBLE – AW SHIT! This is what I’m talking about man! this is that Stuff that makes an album CLASSIC. first of all, the intro to the song where dre is doing his star wars jungle intro is so cute. but that’s neither here nor there cause here comes the amusement park music. not six flags, but a traveling county fair where u have to buy 20 tickets to get on the big rollercoaster and each ticket cost $1. u know the kind I’m talking about. I love the way big boi is doing the low key thing and then the song TOTALLY changes when dre comes in and turns from circus to sideshow music. I think u have to hear it to understand what I’m saying. the scratches are perfect. then comes miss erykah, singing her ass off. and for bluetiger who had the audacity to say that erykah couldn’t’ sing, please listen to her on here and shut the fuck up. she is doing the thing I love so much about her here. she’s WAILING! that’s the way the song ends with her wailing and a couple of other people. it ends perfectly. by the way after listening to this song a couple of times i think this is a social commentary on race, but don’t quote me. ………….this could be my second favorite song….maybe not cause I’m just halfway done and I KNOW that me favorite is near the end. THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

DRINKING (interlude) – cute. Break!

??????? – I love THE music on this interlude. why couldn’t they have extended this to 10 minutes? it’s the bomb! I love this song/interlude! I love it!

RED VELVET –Only real men use metaphors. This song is so DOPE! (I hate that word but I have no other way to explain it) they downplay the whole bling bling attitude that is prevalent on almost every rap album within the last five years. this track is so understated yet powerful. The hook, “turn your pound cake to red velvet”. this is what I live for. metaphors make fire a happy listener. big boi expounds on his “anti-bling” stance. then comes dre with those distorted vocals again. bootsy collins anyone? this is ridiculous. this is bootsy 3000 for real, this song is so fucking stank and black and funky! it is black music. it’s so dope! I can’t talk anymore. I gotta keep listening. I hope all those rappers listening are SHOOK. the bar has been raised. here comes dre with his distorted vocals. I don’t even know how much effect he uses but I know that it’s just enough to throw u off into minneapolis/1990. I can’t take this. I had no idea how good this album was until I heard it………the bar has been raised. there are like 13 verses and I’m still not sick of this song. I love it! “little did he know that” I can’t speak. the vamp out is SICK! THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.
……..

CRUISIN IN THE ATL – cute (break!) I like the corniness of this interlude. it’s like a fake nate dogg. are they dissing nate dogg?

GANGSTA SHIT – Oh yeah! pass me dem thangs lets’ get em! I feel like blasting somebody cause the distorted vocals and the bass guitar make a nigga violent! I swear this is my most favorite gangsta song since the introduction on parental advisory’s album. I really feeling BUSSING A CAP UP IN HERE! © chris rock. it’s not even the words, it’s the menacing music. don’t be surprised if somebody robs a liquor store with this playing in the background. T-MO! I love goodie. t-mo sets the track off! I love the music though. it makes me wanna be a seedy strip club stripper too. then comes slim cutta trying to keep up with the big boys, doing a pretty good job at it. “harder than a nigger trying to impress God” gotta love them.

We interrupt this review for a moment of silence for the songs about to come.

okay, back to our regularly scheduled review.

TOILET TISHA- okay, this is probably my favorite song this year. this and the root are untouchable. THIS SONG IS FRIGGING RIDICULOUS! LOWERCASE LETTERS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE THE IMPORTANCE OF THE FUNK EMANATING THROUGH THE SPEAKERS! THIS IS WHAT I LIVE FOR! THIS IS WHAT I TRY TO TELL PRODUCERS TO DO AND THEY HAND ME A LOOP! U CAN’T LOOP FUNK!? DUMB ASS! IF U DON’T GIVE ME SOME MOTHERFUCKING FUNK I’LL KILL U!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS REAL SHIT! I FEEL LIKE SHOOTING THIS SONG INTO MY VEINS! IT MAKES ME CRY AND HAPPY AT THE SAME TIME. OH the horror of being a group trying to impress me now. the bar has been raised. I swear that bootsy, prince, sly, george, jimi and me were channeled onto this song. this is fucking ridiculous. I can’t even type anymore. I’m not saying anything except…….this is my favorite song this year. I can’t type…..i’m done……no more T.T. I’m thu . no I’m not, cause big boi PUTS it ON ME! pause………..fatality, fatality, fatality, fatality. when did they record this? I’m in awe! THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

SLUM BEAUTIFUL – (CeeLo4Life) – driving I plum crazy! second favorite song on the album. okay for real, ya’ll can’t handle the glare. I love this shit. the fucking melody and the frigging distorted guitar and shit. I want a liquid stankonia to drink. this could get me drunk. I swear. MINNEAPOLIS! it’s like the time 2000! I can’t even give u a clear description of how dope this song is cause it’s inexplicable. The cee-lo factor just ups the ante on this one. it’s amazing how well placed the guest appearances are on this album. they did a good damn job. thank u outkast, for making me not feel crazy. there are others out there. andre is the SHIT! his ramblings are the ultimate. bootsy anyone? THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

PRE-NUMP – cute (I don’t really like interludes so you may wanna ignore me) break!

STANKLOVE – oh sleepy! oh sleepy! oh sleepy! oh sleepy! ohkay, this is competing with toilet tisha, on the REAL! I can’t make a decision. I LOVE THIS SONG! okay, why in the world did sly and the family stone & the ohio players make a song and the press wasn’t alerted? this song is RIDICULOUS! it’s so off and on at the same time. I’m trying to think of the exact group that this sounds like…..is it the brides of funkenstein? it’s slave? it’s isaac hayes? & barry white? all combined into one thing. let me tell ya’ll something sleepy brown is officially beyond underrated in my book. I’m tired of turning people onto the future of funk and nobody listens. this song is ridiculous. I can’t wait for sleepy’s theme part II. it has to happen. the planets will be out of order if it doesn’t. is this big RUBE!? u fools have no idea the importance of big rube! okay, big rube and mums the schemer need to do an album. ceelo and nate dog. that’s my projection….anyway back to the matter at hand. this song is outta here! © krs. I love this song, I love this album.

THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

Put the parsley on me, I'm done!

...YOU SAID YOU WANTED HOT SAUCE.... oh and if u forgot: I AM BLACK MUSIC......

Yo, bitch! Back up directly! You be tryin’ to steal Mumm-Ra’s flava?" said Mumm-Ra undeviatingly, "You dare to taunt Mumm-Ra the ever-fucking-living, cracka-ass?" Mumm-Ra then noted that he had "a good mind to be slappin da’ piss outta yo’ honky ass." (da funniest shit i read in a while : : : )

You've got me shook/You've got me whooped/Severely whooped/Severely hooked/You've got me whooped/You've got me shook/Severely shook -stokely/mc (yummy )

Natural is natural. If you have extensions, that ain't natural (at least the extensions ain't). That's like saying you eat vegetarian pork, because the pork you eat comes from pigs who were only fed salad before they got slaughtered. -spirit: :D

"don't eeevn try it!" - big boi (dirty southie)

"why the fuck can't emcees emcee no more? hardcore till somebody put me under the ground wit a dick in your ear still couldn't fuck wit my sound!"- xzibit/down for the count (aw shit )

Lick a clit/mine, to be exact/Lick it kinda soft/Lick it in a loft/Lick it from behind/Lick it any time/Lick it left to right/Lick it every night/Lick it till I cry/Lick it till you die/Beeeyotch!!!!-evolution 23/chicago styleeee

"these wack philly groups are FUCKING IT UP FOR EVERYBODY!" - 2 talented, 2 irritated cupcake

shot by mama's gun!
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004YKUI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (fly as fuck!)

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think...
Oct 31st 2000
YOOOO!!!! WHY THEY EPMD ME ON....
godgiven
Oct 31st 2000
HAHA!!! KIM AND COOKIE.....
godgiven
Oct 31st 2000
no, thank u & u're welcome
Oct 31st 2000
can i just say..
Oct 31st 2000
what about...
Oct 31st 2000
Well Damn
Oct 31st 2000
caught ya'! :-) n/m
Nov 01st 2000
RE: fire's stankonia review
Solange
Oct 31st 2000
oh god .. my effing craving for this album
shockalicious
Nov 01st 2000
u're gonna cry
Nov 01st 2000
      stankstankstankyforyou
shockalicious
Nov 02nd 2000
love it
Nov 01st 2000
Werd
peacefornow
Nov 01st 2000
Stankfuckinglove!!!
Nov 02nd 2000
3 Words
Nov 02nd 2000
Damm Fire.....
netbomber
Nov 02nd 2000
Nov 03rd 2000
P.S. FIRE....
peacefornow
Nov 04th 2000
it didn't bother me, i'm thick skinded
Nov 06th 2000
there's gotta be a career in music journalism for you!!!
Nov 06th 2000
okay fire,
Nov 06th 2000
run, don't walk
Nov 06th 2000
      i stank i can..
Nov 06th 2000
      RE: run, don't walk
Nov 06th 2000
           what an insult
Nov 06th 2000
nice review
Nov 06th 2000
nice review
Nov 06th 2000
nice review
Nov 06th 2000
Nov 06th 2000
first impressions..
AfricanHerbsman
Nov 08th 2000
i like u're review 2
Nov 09th 2000
its a good record imma review SHYNE n/m
Isa_Sabur
Nov 09th 2000
aries
Nov 09th 2000
analogy
Nov 15th 2000
the bar will be raised
Nov 16th 2000
Nov 16th 2000
Actually
Nov 16th 2000

maro
Charter member

1. "I think..."
In response to Reply # 0

...I have been anticipating your review of Stank almost as much as hearing the official release.

thanks for your review Fire....and way to wait it out. Much impressed!!

one

"It be the greatest thing that happened to a button that rewinds"= Binary
Star

godgiven

Tue Oct-31-00 07:22 AM

2. "YOOOO!!!! WHY THEY EPMD ME ON...."
In response to Reply # 1

.....SPAGHETTI JUNCTION!!!!!, I can't get past it, I just copped Stank from Best Buy on my class break, ree fuckin diculous, I can't really get into how much I like it yet but if "Spisgehty" (little kid pronunciation) is any indication, they are beyond hip-hop, that's it, we're gonna have to just put them,those Roots cats, and anybody else tryin' to push the proverbial envelope there own space..........YO, the intro, ummmm.......I was almost there (if you feel me, HAAHHLUUHHH!!!), Fire, I don't think you're to far off, your opinion may be biased, but, nevertheless you can't dispute that 'Kast is somewhere else with there's, I'll get back......

Peace (OH ISH, ILLLL-like) spoken

One

2gee'z

godgiven

Tue Oct-31-00 07:35 AM

3. "HAHA!!! KIM AND COOKIE....."
In response to Reply # 2

ON SOME OL' HEE HAW ISHT,straight on the porch like Ms."but you ain't hear it from me" Jenkins off "In Living Color",'kay ......i'm movin on past S.P. now (eeben doe I don't waaannnnaaa!!!)

Peace (off repeat) spoken

One

2gee'z

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Tue Oct-31-00 08:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "no, thank u & u're welcome"
In response to Reply # 1

& spaghetti junction is ridiculously dope

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Tue Oct-31-00 09:45 AM

5. "can i just say.."
In response to Reply # 0

uhhh..i agree...

so fresh , so clean..ILL!!!..tha beat!!
I'll Call before I come...LOVIN IT!!

Humble Mumble..why does this beat just remind me of the generic mambo beat u'd find on ure 25 dollar casio!!..but i LOVE it!!..and THIS is how erykah needs to come..i'm sorry but her singin' the hook on 'the light' remake

Gansta Shit..on some 'return of the gansta' tip..i'm feelin' this track..

TOILET TISHA!!!..AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...George would be PROUD!!..

and BOB and Mrs. Jackson are of course highlights as well..

i think my fav has to be Toilet Tisha..with HM second

Much love,
Kyle

Made official by MISS UrbanCowgRRL
Surgeon General... - DPS...drunk posters society...y'all ain't ready!?!? We soldiers...don't be scurrrrrred

"i always tell people that fame is
nothing but a good publicist, while
talent is a genuine article..." ~ Pozi

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

stoves
Charter member
147 posts
Tue Oct-31-00 11:29 AM

6. "what about..."
In response to Reply # 5

..the bonus cd, arent you gonna review speedballin' or sole sunday. i love both those songs, especially sole sunday. i dont know why they werent put on the 1st disk.

MeAnD_7
Charter member
756 posts
Tue Oct-31-00 06:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Well Damn"
In response to Reply # 0

Now that's a review. I'll have to wait 'til Thursday to see if I agree or disagree witcha but damn I can't wait to hear it.

Be Back Thursday.

Peace

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Wed Nov-01-00 02:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "caught ya'! :-) n/m"
In response to Reply # 7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't know me well enough to make that assumption!"

Small minds discuss people.
Average minds discuss events.
Great minds discuss ideas.

"People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out. But once the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there's a light coming from within." ~ Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

PEOPLE ~ take some time to FEED YOUR SPIRIT, your SOUL will be all the BETTER for it!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

Solange

Tue Oct-31-00 07:22 PM

8. "RE: fire's stankonia review"
In response to Reply # 0

pre-nup-hell all the skits.
Toilet Tisha..HAPPENS EVERYDAY.
GASOLINE

RECORD IS A CLASSIC.

shockalicious

Wed Nov-01-00 02:47 AM

9. "oh god .. my effing craving for this album"
In response to Reply # 0

is at crack fiend levels for me right now.

i will have finished work @ 4:30pm tomorrow
will have 'stankonia' by 5pm
will have it in my stereo by 6pm (which is 19 1/2 MUHFUCKING HOURS AWAY )

..unless i don't actually GO to work.. then i could be listening to it in 10 1/2 hours

hmmm.. (deadlines? what deadlines?)(job? what job?)

this is like the night before christmas when i was 5
OR..
that mixture of anxiety and ecstatic anticipation whirlpooling in your stomach before making love to your beloved for the first time..

this is one of those moments when you realise just how relative time is..

s ckissmokingwaytoomanycigarettesrightnow

btw- fire, sweetheart, thanks for the wonderful review - but because of u, i won't sleep tonight

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Wed Nov-01-00 08:02 AM

10. "u're gonna cry"
In response to Reply # 9

...YOU SAID YOU WANTED HOT SAUCE.... oh and if u forgot: I AM BLACK MUSIC......

Yo, bitch! Back up directly! You be tryin’ to steal Mumm-Ra’s flava?" said Mumm-Ra undeviatingly, "You dare to taunt Mumm-Ra the ever-fucking-living, cracka-ass?" Mumm-Ra then noted that he had "a good mind to be slappin da’ piss outta yo’ honky ass." (da funniest shit i read in a while : : : )

You've got me shook/You've got me whooped/Severely whooped/Severely hooked/You've got me whooped/You've got me shook/Severely shook -stokely/mc (yummy )

Natural is natural. If you have extensions, that ain't natural (at least the extensions ain't). That's like saying you eat vegetarian pork, because the pork you eat comes from pigs who were only fed salad before they got slaughtered. -spirit: :D

"don't eeevn try it!" - big boi (dirty southie)

"why the fuck can't emcees emcee no more? hardcore till somebody put me under the ground wit a dick in your ear still couldn't fuck wit my sound!"- xzibit/down for the count (aw shit )

Lick a clit/mine, to be exact/Lick it kinda soft/Lick it in a loft/Lick it from behind/Lick it any time/Lick it left to right/Lick it every night/Lick it till I cry/Lick it till you die/Beeeyotch!!!!-evolution 23/chicago styleeee

"these wack philly groups are FUCKING IT UP FOR EVERYBODY!" - 2 talented, 2 irritated cupcake

shot by mama's gun!
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004YKUI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (fly as fuck!)

shockalicious

Thu Nov-02-00 08:37 PM

17. "stankstankstankyforyou"
In response to Reply # 10

there's some stank food in the world
for example
the Chinese have chou tofu (preserved bean curd), which is a prized condiment in Shanghai cooking, giving dishes a sour edginess and an aroma that's close to week-old socks.

the English - game season - the first pheasants are hung on the feather with the guts intact to impart the special perfume that only clotted blood and decaying flesh can bring.

in Singapore they make a shrimp paste (known as belacan) by pulverising dried, decomposing shrimp, then leaving it out in the sun. kind of smells like rotting fish in the middle of summer.

then there's the Icelanders. they have a dish known as hakarl, otherwise known as stinking, or putrid shark. they bury shark meat (this particular shark is full of deadly cyanic acid, btw, hence this preparation method) in the ground, thus allowing it to putrefy, then hang it up to dry until the skin goes black and the flesh hard as leather, the acid leached out, rendering the meat safe to eat. safe if you don't mind that the body fluids of this shark contain compounds of ammonia and urea - the same compounds that give urine it's smell.

personally, i prefer Outkast's stankonia - funkier than that shit put together in a banquet - and probably better for u

i funkin' LOVE this album - classic, classic, classic
the sheer musicality of it
the vocals
the beats
pure uncut funkiness
oh lawd, it gets BETTER with repeated listens

s ckzillaimaginingaPrincealbumproducedbyearthtone111,organizednoiseandthesoulquarians

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Wed Nov-01-00 08:15 AM

11. "love it"
In response to Reply # 0

the only song I'm not really feelin is the Hoe song... other than that I can't get enough!!!
Great review fire
Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

lions sing and the hills take flight
the moon by day, and the sun by night
blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool
let the lord(-ess) of chaos rule.. - robert jordan

*thank you AH!*

"If I'm not feelin ya, playa - my face is gonna show it" - GURU

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

peacefornow

Wed Nov-01-00 07:14 PM

13. "Werd"
In response to Reply # 0

That's a good, enthusiastic review, Fire...and also lengthy...I feel your enthusiasm like a mufugga.

This album is so good that it's gonna take me multiple listens to get a decent "feel" for it. In these times we livin' in, that's rare and important. 'Kast came correct! For once, some hip hoppers' borrowing from P-Funk is really justified.

HELL yeah the bass on "Ms. Jackson" is poppin'. Thanks for the info on that one.

"We Luv Deez Hoez" IS satire, like a lot of Slum Village from Fantastic, Vol. 2 is (I think), but that still doesn't soften the blow. So you right on that one.

I need to keep listening....

peace

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Nov-02-00 01:14 PM

14. "Stankfuckinglove!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

As much as I love "Toilet Tisha", "Stanklove" is the one that's really really doing it to me. Even more than "BOB".

I think "Stanklove" is about weed AND romantic/erotic love at the same time. Don't you?

And what exactly is Tisha doing on that toilet? Forgive me not understanding. I know it's "unthinkable", but what is it? Is she using a coat hanger? What?

MeAnD_7
Charter member
756 posts
Thu Nov-02-00 04:49 PM

15. "3 Words"
In response to Reply # 0

You're a Fan!!!!

I am definitely feeling this album. It doesn't sound like anything I have ever heard or expect to hear again. This album is the next level. It is the next movement,but I don't think people should attempt to follow.

Fire, your review is a good guide to follow. It opened my ears to things I missed on the first listen. I'm sorry but you are the f word. Only a fan could have written a review like that. But I won't tell nobody.

Peace

netbomber

Thu Nov-02-00 06:53 PM

16. "Damm Fire....."
In response to Reply # 0

Thats what I call a damm good review. It was definitly worth the wait(lol), cause this was the only outkast review post I've looked at since they've been posting wild about it.

pz,
netbomber

"I battle it all/Like I don't have it all"-Del

AIM-DJjUsT2000

In my cd player NOW...
*Guru-Jazzmatazz 3
DJ Muggs-Souls Assassins II
Slipknot-Slipknot

On the tables NOW...
KRS-One-Greatest Hits
Big L-The Big Picture

dayzblack
Charter member
1129 posts
Fri Nov-03-00 11:35 AM

18. "RE: fire's stankonia review"
In response to Reply # 0

Fire your review is just that FIYAAH!!! I'm about to print this bitch out and read while I listen to the album for the umpteenth time-you defintely expounded on sum shit I didn't notice. Your record collection must be deep with all the references you used, and pardon me did you say clavicord? 'Cuse me fo bein' igno-Rant but i don't even know what that shit looks like let alone sounds like...is it in the tamborine family??! Excellent post YOU raised the bar.

Follow me on Twitter, and talk shit LIVE!
http://twitter.com/dlemoncomedy

peacefornow

Sat Nov-04-00 07:38 PM

19. "P.S. FIRE...."
In response to Reply # 0

Just in case it wasn't obvious, my previous comment about the review's length was my attempt at some constructive criticism. I really enjoyed it...indeed, as a professional writer, I wanted to offer the suggestion that if you can trim your reviews word-wise while keeping that same style, there's gotta be a career in music journalism for you!!!

One love
forrest

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 04:48 AM

21. "it didn't bother me, i'm thick skinded"
In response to Reply # 19

:-)

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "there's gotta be a career in music journalism for you!!!"
In response to Reply # 19

agreed

lemmie know if you need any ideas on how to make that happen

If there is no struggle there is no progress Those who profess to favor freedom yet deprecate agitation are men who want the crops without plowing up the ground they want the rain without the thunder and lighting power concedes nothing without demand it never has and it never will
- Fredrick Douglas

http://www.euphon.com/dreadmedia

http://www.ventmag.com

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 02:52 AM

20. "okay fire,"
In response to Reply # 0

you condemned me to hell for never having owned an Outkast album.
sooooo i bought Stankonia on Friday...

i couldn't even wait to get it home so in the parking lot, i tore it open and popped it into the cd player.

needless to say, i sat in the parking lot for almost 40 minutes.. just sitting there, mouth wide open. eyes watering.
Jeeeeeesus! This, dare i say it, is the funkiest shit i have heard all year. all year.. i can't believe i am saying this ..ALL YEAR.. IT IS THE FUNKIEST SHIT I'VE HEARD ALL YEAR.

i love it when this happens. an artist or group of artists comes along and ups the ante for the rest. i love that.

it's all very good ..but 3 cuts did it for me.. call before i come, stankonia (stanklove), and toilet tisha...

Andre 3000's voice in some parts of these songs sounded EXACTLY like Jimi Hendricks(well almost). MAN. MAN OH MAN.

pleasure overload in my ears all weekend. i ain't even wanna get outta the car this morning because i wanted to keep hearing it.

so, i'm sorry. i never bought their stuff before because i truly didn't think i'd like any of it. but this is not at all like their previous stuff is it? IS IT?!

"fat guy in a little coaaaaaaaaat"- chris farley (tommy boy)

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 04:49 AM

22. "run, don't walk"
In response to Reply # 20

& buy atliens & aquemini,.....in that order.

it's almost like u can't understand the stank without the previous funk.

atliens is my favorite album still. and i am addicted to stankonia right now. i have to listen to it 1,000 times (like ive done atliens) before i can say that stank is my favorite.

grannie
Charter member
3387 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 09:04 AM

23. "i stank i can.."
In response to Reply # 22

go and pick at least one up today.

"fat guy in a little coaaaaaaaaat"- chris farley (tommy boy)

dayzblack
Charter member
1129 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:40 AM

29. "RE: run, don't walk"
In response to Reply # 22

What about SouthernPlayalyistic....That shit is hot too. Just gritty, dirty red clay shit.Grannie cop that also, and you too fire if you don't have it.

Follow me on Twitter, and talk shit LIVE!
http://twitter.com/dlemoncomedy

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 11:45 AM

30. "what an insult"
In response to Reply # 29

i am the missing member of outkast and u told me to buy something by them?

Spread
Member since Mar 13th 2003
7647 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 09:18 AM

24. "nice review"
In response to Reply # 0

props on the reveiw fire. Couldn't have said it better myself. Although, Stanklove seems to remind me of more Funkadellic "maggot brain" days before the silliness(and dopeness) of Parliament occured. Sounded like eddie hazel was playin for a minute. Stankonia, how are they gonna top this?

yep

Spread
7647 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 09:18 AM

25. "nice review"
In response to Reply # 0

props on the reveiw fire. Couldn't have said it better myself. Although, Stanklove seems to remind me of more Funkadellic "maggot brain" days before the silliness(and dopeness) of Parliament occured. Sounded like eddie hazel was playin for a minute. Stankonia, how are they gonna top this?

yep

Spread
7647 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 09:19 AM

26. "nice review"
In response to Reply # 0

yep

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 09:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. ""
In response to Reply # 0

Im loving this you better use it

If there is no struggle there is no progress Those who profess to favor freedom yet deprecate agitation are men who want the crops without plowing up the ground they want the rain without the thunder and lighting power concedes nothing without demand it never has and it never will
- Fredrick Douglas

http://www.euphon.com/dreadmedia

http://www.ventmag.com

AfricanHerbsman

Wed Nov-08-00 05:24 AM

31. "first impressions.."
In response to Reply # 0

>THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED.

hmm, dunno how well this joint'll stand the test of time. prolly well though, because this is an intellectual excercise in some ways but dem boyz always make 'mood music' that you can bump whenever you get that feeling. anyway..

>I have listened to stankonia
>objectively and subjectively and decided
>that I am not prejudiced
>in my views, I’m just
>right.

I've listened to it a couple of times, it's air-tight.

>INTRO – Very Parliament 2000.
>Gives me a feeling of
>being somewhere out there, mars
>maybe? This is the
>kind of music that should
>have beenthe score on the
>Fifth Element or something.

but I like how big boi brings it back down to the hood in a second flat, like that's the role he's going to play throughout this whole album, earth to andre's live wire.

>BREAK (this is consistent throughout the
>record. the chant heard
>before leaving a football huddle.
> it’s very cute)

oh, is that what it is? never saw a football game, me thinking it was some sort of old skool shout.

>GASOLINE DREAMS – talk about moving
>back and forth! The
>bassline in the song is
>what u drive to, this
>song is made for blasting
>out your car stereo.

true that..these are the opening joints that make me wanna see what creators like ?uesltove will respond with, because outkast don't really have much music-making competition even approaching their popularity. black thought is equally vivid but can he get you ampted like andre can on the hook..cut sounds like stage would be in flames live.

>I’M COOL (interlude) – B*tch stay
>off dat blow! Very
>funny, cause u think she’s
>talking about love or something
>then u just realize she’s
>a powdered donut. it’s

must be like waking up from a dream..feel like they're saying she's damned if she doesn't and condemned if she does.

>SO FRESH, SO CLEAN - Who
>knew that pimping wasn’t dirty?
> Exactly which ohio players
>song this REMINDS me of
>I can’t think of right
>now, but when I get
>home I’m popping in Funk
>on Fire (the anthology you

true that, and I love the little keys/piano all over this album. and will dre ever run out of different flows, I like how he makes use of space in how he raps to different beats. yeah, and big boi takes you there so you feel like you've been dirty southern all your life..so fresh and so clean.

>MS. JACKSON – Although the radio
>tried to spoil my initial
>hearing of this album by
>putting this song in regular
>rotation, they did nothing of
>the sort cause this song
>is SICK! Who in

easily one of my favourite songs off this album, nice mix and everything just combines lovely with the keyboards and piano, reversed drums - then the bass comes in, damn. this where outkast always challenge their own standards, by tackling everyday subject matter (lyrics) in an unorthodox fashion (beats) and executing it perfectly (piano & bass) to the last detail (birds, dogs).

>SNAPPIN & TRAPPIN -- …sigh…..i don’t’
>think I really am overwhelmed
>by this song. it’s
>not bad, but it’s not
>as good as the previous
>three. it almost could
>fuck up my high if
>I got high, underdig?

way it just starts makes this sound like an experimental instrumental that they rhymed over, it's usually big boi that breaks in new fam, and he does it with the usual flair which more than makes up for an unmemorable hook and uninspiring ragga chat at the close - one to grow on.

>D.F. INTERLUDE – The trumpet/trombone thing
>going on here is an
>example of unfair interludes.
>u know the kind u
>want to last longer than
>1 minute? big

ahh, this is too ill: 1st generation dungeon fam.

>SPAGHETTI JUNCTION – I cannot for
>the life of me remember
>where the interpolation (replayed sample)
>is from? what is
>it? it’s driving me
>CRAZY! well whatever it
>is, it works, oh so
>well! then comes sleepy,
>again! I think this
>is a bbq song. not

yeah, this song could fit on any outkast album really and anything with sleepy on it says sateeva and sunny weather. and that's the truth, fire, the horns sew the track together. but this track and the df interlude have me thinking how much I miss dre and fatsax on that tag-teaming tip, that's one of the things that forever maintains 'atliens' in the top bracket.

>KIM & COOKIE (interlewd) – I
>hate the way these broads
>talk, then again I love
>it! it’s the duplicity
>of me. they sound
>JUST like my cousins in
>north cackalacky. it’s really

yeah, I dig these outkast interludes with females on them just to hear them talk, that sht is too funny when this is the only place you'll hear it. I like these simple, spontaneous skits, but that aren't just some other so-called emcee babbling about how tough a thug, cold a pimp or righteous a god he is.

>CALL BEFORE I COME – Nigga
>quit being so god damn
>selfish! what to say
>except this is Definitively reminiscent
>of something of off diamonds
>& pearls/symbol album. it’s
>so FUCKING DOPE! okay,

man, dre's really blossomed since southernplayalistic. dude is fearless with it, and big boi keping up in his own way. see, this is what I love about 'kast, no matter how eccentric the beats get they'll ground them with an unexpected guest (the ladies brought it but I feel like song could've been even tighter concept-wise with someone nicer) and the bass is ever-present. I see the prince in it, the way he decorates/doodles at the ends of each line, like on, say 'cream'.

>B.O.B – since we all love
>this song, I don’t need
>to review it. yes
>I do. let me
>just say that the church
>organ/bass combination is THE SHIT!

I dig that little intro before the beats drops, tight like 'mellow, my man'. see, the more I hear this song the less it impresses me and the more it impresses me. because if you strip it down to just the beat like start of big boi's verse, I feel like this is something jermaine dupri or maybe dallas could've cooked up, or will shortly. but, aside from having the rhymes, earthtone don't rest until they've worked out every crevice and corner of the sound. like fire says, it's in the climax, mad scientist combinations of programming and live keys and guitar sounds like prince's sott-batman years, but with ill cutting over it.

>XPLOSION – B Real is real
>mad at somebody! his
>label, xxl, he’s pissed.
>I figured out the feeling
>this album gives me.!!!!!!

I like how outkast pair with an initially bewildering tourist on their joints, raekwon and b-real, but they both rip their parts well. man, I feel like earthtone could have laced tupac SO lovely when he finally returned to his revolutionary roots, tupac could have added some fire to this and 'gasolene dreams' for real. but this is the sht that convinces you this is dre's album, why's he got to mess with his vocals everytime.

>GOOD HAIR (interlude) – I love
>this interlude most of all.

like the spanish music on the background too - BREAK..

>WE LUV DEEZ HOEZ – Very
>Dr. Dre/Chronic 92. The
>only thing missing from this
>song is Nate Dogg.

yeah, one of those joints that prolly sounds much nicer when you've blown your brains with some decent mary..a simple hook for a simple song but big gipp takes the belt. haha, gipp always has me laughing, sounding like an old-ass wino that thinks he's flyest, like somebody just woke him up to, literally, spit his verse.

>HUMBLE MUMBLE – AW SHIT!
>This is what I’m talking
>about man! this is
>that Stuff that makes an
>album CLASSIC. first of
>all, the intro to the
>song where dre is doing
>his star wars jungle intro
>is so cute.

now, this is my shit! 'what's your loco motive?' best songs on outkast tend to have a little intro to them, like they know how hot their sht is and they wanna take you by the hand and lead you it it first, instead of just dropping/fading in the beat. but, dunno, if I'd heard this beat as some unknown indie instrumental - has me thinking of ancient nintendo before andre comes in. yeah, like this is where I thought jungle brothers would be today before they derailed. but dungeon always pull it off, the bass is always live and erykah's in need of an exorcist come the end. and that's deep too: 'humble as a mumble in a jungle of shouts and screams..' says a lot with little, we've got to stay re-rooting our dreams.

>??????? – I love THE music
>on this interlude. why
>couldn’t they have extended this
>to 10 minutes? it’s
>the bomb! I love
>this song/interlude! I love
>it!

this is another one of those cuts, that's changed just by the fact that it's outkast flowing over it, wouldn't be the same if it was kool keith or method man or del. with all dre's questions and the interlude before and the pouring sounds is this meant to be an anti-drink announcment. length is good - nice.

>RED VELVET –Only real men use
>metaphors. This song is
>so DOPE! (I hate
>that word but I have
>no other way to explain
>it) they downplay the
>whole bling bling attitude that
>is prevalent on almost every
>rap album within the last
>five years. this track

this is where I see what jeflee says, even just one unexpected instrument on a track can't hurt, several if combined right make all the difference in the world. in this case, I'm feeling dre's daablings with camille-like speeds this time around, and little spooky-electric bit is fitting. but I like how they say it, it's not so much about death to all the fakers as, if you must floss 'consider your surroundings'.

>CRUISIN IN THE ATL – cute
>(break!) I like the
>corniness of this interlude.
>it’s like a fake nate
>dogg. are they dissing
>nate dogg?

ah, I love this interlude - like some mid-eighties sunshine..but, yeah, kinda reminds me of that 'summertime in the lbc' song from a while ago.

>GANGSTA SHIT – Oh yeah!
>pass me dem thangs lets’
>get em! I feel
>like blasting somebody cause the
>distorted vocals and the bass
>guitar make a nigga violent!

it's the return of billy ocean..man, this cut has a whole lot of growing to do right now, prolly better heard in a shmoky ride perhaps but t-mo's the only one that really did anything for me on this one, cool to just hear andre rap his verse straight too without resorting to singing/effects, don't really recall him on outkast's 'gangsta' joints in the past.

>TOILET TISHA- okay, this is probably
>my favorite song this year.

"I swear that bootsy, prince, sly, george, jimi and me were channeled onto this song" - haha, fire your shit best be white hot when we eventually get to hear it. but this cut is bananas, proly needs to be heard with fat acoustics or on fat headphones, nothing in between, cause I hear it at the base of my brain rather than in the bones. to be honest I haven't really listened to the dramatics going on in the background or what tisha's story is - this would work as an instrumental, or with just sleepy on it. but it's a beautiful thing that outkast dedicate as much of their thought/material towards addressing female issues.

>SLUM BEAUTIFUL – (CeeLo4Life) – driving
>I plum crazy! second
>favorite song on the album.
> okay for real, ya’ll
>can’t handle the glare.

the mix is beautiful. outkast need to work with prince on something because they've got what he needs and he's the man that can take them beyond stankonia, out of the south, out of america, outer space. cee-lo's got the same thing dre's got but different, each verse can be lengthy or condensed yet carefree, that effort-less energy, emceeing from a completely different degree. and dre's fully submerged in stank now, back to the future of funk.

>STANKLOVE – oh sleepy! oh sleepy!
>oh sleepy! oh sleepy!
>ohkay, this is competing with
>toilet tisha, on the REAL!

backing vocals are the sht, like something silver surfer would surf to - another one for the nervous system, preceded by a chronic mental steam cleanse which I haven't had. nah, I need to listen to this cut in the prone position with some herb burning. but they didn't need to fck with rube's vocals too. but, man, I'm mourning the jacking of my copy of 'the vinyl room', seems this album no longer exists anywhere. damn.

damn, this album's over too soon. but I must say, in a sense I hope they've cleansed their system enough to take it back to some hip-hopping next time around. it's kinda the same as the roots, wouldn't give up any of their albums for anything but it'd be cool if they explored 'illadelph' contours a little further. cause I feel like the making of 'stankonia' was prolly as much about selecting which tracks they'd use as much as anything, so they went with staaanklooove - but I'm holding out for 'wheels of steel II' also.

I'd still archive it, fire - nice review.

seize your time! - marley/wailers

does krs represent heaven? hell, yeah - krs1

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Nov-09-00 11:00 AM

33. "i like u're review 2"
In response to Reply # 31

;-)

Isa_Sabur

Thu Nov-09-00 09:22 AM

32. "its a good record imma review SHYNE n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

"Nigga stepped outta line i had to ice him/reached into my drawssss/and pulled out my strappp/Nigga stepped outta line i had to chop him/reached into my draws and pulled out my strap/nickled plated/357 clint eastwood special/for toe taggin n body baggin/Po-Po wrote me a citation/fuh/draggin my bitch by her fuckin weave/i had to make uh bleed/last new years eve she tried to hit me wit a fryin pan/my attitude wasn't caring/back-slapped that hoe infront of parents/mo keys than a janitor/it gets mannisher and mannisher and mannisher....
Smokin on uh roach/loitering inside a McDonalds parking lot throwing up gang signs in sequence like we some kind of first base coach/i like my eggs poached/hard over easyyy/in a drive threw hollering at uh Breeeezaayy" - E-40

THUG $hit ~~~> http://members.blackplanet.com/Isa_Sabur/

aries

Thu Nov-09-00 02:29 PM

34. "RE: fire's stankonia review"
In response to Reply # 0

fire--had i not run out to buy my copy of stankonia the first day it was out, i would have after reading yr review. it was as fierce as the album itself...

"shorty let me tell you about my only vice -- it has to do with lots of lovin' & it ain't nothin' nice..." tribe

analogy

Wed Nov-15-00 04:00 PM

35. "RE: fire's stankonia review"
In response to Reply # 0

the bar has been raised on how many times"the bar has been raised" can be said over the course of 1 post.

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Nov-16-00 04:41 AM

36. "the bar will be raised"
In response to Reply # 35

and smashed upside your head, smarty pants.

now go buy de album!

Radiate
Member since Sep 04th 2002
82 posts
Thu Nov-16-00 07:01 AM

37. "RE: fire's stankonia review"
In response to Reply # 0

I read most of the review before I had to stop. I live in Las Vegas and regularly pick up the CityLife publication. Since the guy that does the hip-hop reviews also hosts the weekend college hip-hop show, I give him some credit. He also had the same problem with song "Luv Deez Hoez" as you. I think people misunderstood the song and it's underlying humor. If you really listened to the interlude before it and the way the lyrics are delivered then you would see that it's actually a parody of the male psych of disrespecting the "hoe" while still searching out that specific sort of female in society. It would kind of be idiotic for them to make a song like "Miss Jackson" and then shit on females later on in the album. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Or maybe we all really don't know what the song means.

Peace,
Radiate

"You blind baby. You blind from the fact of who you are cause you watching that garbage! Nothing but garbage!" - Flava Flav

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Thu Nov-16-00 07:23 AM

38. "Actually"
In response to Reply # 37

You are probaly right...
how many songs dis hoes, and how many men dis hoes
but when you think about it...
men love them...
i know i do....

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #77909Search result list | First match | Last match