Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #162272

Subject: "Lou Reed (March 2, 1942 - October 27, 2013)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
JayEmm
Member since Feb 06th 2004
3301 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 12:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lou Reed (March 2, 1942 - October 27, 2013)"

- Lou Reed, a massively influential songwriter and guitarist who helped shape nearly fifty years of rock music, died today. The cause of his death has not yet been released, but Reed underwent a liver transplant in May.

With the Velvet Underground in the late Sixties, Reed fused street-level urgency with elements of European avant-garde music, marrying beauty and noise, while bringing a whole new lyrical honesty to rock & roll poetry. As a restlessly inventive solo artist, from the Seventies into the 2010s, he was chameleonic, thorny and unpredictable, challenging his fans at every turn. Glam, punk and alternative rock are all unthinkable without his revelatory example. "One chord is fine," he once said, alluding to his bare-bones guitar style. "Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz." -

more...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-velvet-underground-leader-and-rock-pioneer-dead-at-71-20131027

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RIP....
Oct 27th 2013
RIP
Oct 27th 2013
rest in power!
Oct 27th 2013
What is the origin of "rest in power"? And what's the Lou Reed connectio...
Oct 31st 2013
RIP
Oct 27th 2013
rip
Oct 27th 2013
Early dawning, Sunday morning..
Oct 27th 2013
Wow! RIP. I just ordered some Velvet Underground CD's Friday
Oct 27th 2013
Transformer >>>>>
Oct 27th 2013
Ouch
Oct 27th 2013
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 27th 2013
But how many of his peers would even try a "Lulu"
Oct 27th 2013
      yup, your reply pretty much echos my reply via group email last nite:
Oct 28th 2013
           You don't need to ''pretend'' to like ''metal machine music''
Oct 29th 2013
                imo, the "problem" with MMM isn't so much about the art,
Oct 29th 2013
                for the record I've never had any use for Brian Eno as a solo artist
Oct 29th 2013
                     Have you heard Here comes the warm jets
Oct 29th 2013
                          nice, I will check that out, listening now & this joint kinda goes
Oct 29th 2013
R.I.P. Lou Reed
Oct 27th 2013
RE: Goodbye twentieth century.
Oct 27th 2013
right.
Oct 31st 2013
R.I.P.
Oct 27th 2013
shit...just, shit. Much love and respect, Lou.
Oct 27th 2013
rip
Oct 27th 2013
rip
Oct 27th 2013
I'll be your mirror
Oct 27th 2013
One of my favorite Lou....
Oct 27th 2013
SAY A WORD FOR LOUUUUUU REEEEED. RIP, rock n fucking roll
Oct 27th 2013
SAY A WORD FOR LOUUUUUU REEEEED. RIP, rock n fucking roll
Oct 27th 2013
Damn, He won't be forgotten. An amazing talent.
Oct 27th 2013
R.I.P.!!!
Oct 27th 2013
Loved Coney Island Baby.
Oct 27th 2013
Goodbye, Lou.
Oct 27th 2013
What?? RIP
Oct 27th 2013
Wow! RIP.
Oct 27th 2013
respect.
Oct 28th 2013
A Night with Lou Reed (The Bottom Line, NYC - 1983)
Oct 28th 2013
RE: A tune for Lou:
Oct 28th 2013
haunting and very fitting, thanks for sharing
Oct 28th 2013
nice one, mate.
Oct 31st 2013
Thank you for the music, Lou
Oct 28th 2013
R.I.P.
Oct 29th 2013
Rock & Roll Heart - Lou Reed Documentary (American Masters)
Oct 29th 2013
removed by user! haterade shower!
Nov 02nd 2013
      new link
Nov 02nd 2013

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 12:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RIP...."
In response to Reply # 0

Wow..He will be missed...A GREAT lyricist....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5446 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

What the blood claaat ???

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 12:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "rest in power!"
In response to Reply # 0

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 02:17 PM

41. "What is the origin of "rest in power"? And what's the Lou Reed connectio..."
In response to Reply # 3

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 12:46 PM

4. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Robert
Charter member
4119 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 12:52 PM

5. "rip"
In response to Reply # 0

JayEmm
3301 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 12:54 PM

6. "Early dawning, Sunday morning.."
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/YuM3SteeAgY

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 01:07 PM

7. "Wow! RIP. I just ordered some Velvet Underground CD's Friday"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 01:07 PM

8. "Transformer >>>>>"
In response to Reply # 0

Shimmy
Charter member
45923 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Ouch"
In response to Reply # 0

His is one of my pillars.

Oh its such a perfect day.....

“Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 01:46 PM

10. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

RIP Lou, in some sense he should have been dead in '72 not at 71 in 2013.

I'm guessing the liver problems are a direct result of that back-in-the-day behavior but still, I wasn't aware of the earlier recent issue.

Does this mean the 'Lula' debacle was his last work?

That would be a shame.

I don't know why I'm shocked he's gone but I am.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 02:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "But how many of his peers would even try a "Lulu""
In response to Reply # 10

There is better respect in epic failures then putting out variations of the same shit(to diminishing returns).

My fav recent Lou Reed moment was his Yeezus review. Hate on the album, but i love how you could tell he listens to a decent amount of hiphop.

http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view/lou-reed

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 09:01 PM

32. "yup, your reply pretty much echos my reply via group email last nite:"
In response to Reply # 15

While at first being shocked at the news, in retrospect Lou Reed probably shouldn't have made 1972 let alone nearly reached 72 years of age in 2013.

That ornery bastard made some true time-tested bulletproof classics along with some of the most willfully terrible non-tunes & album-length debacles of any respected artist ever.

Despite being completely unable to 'sing' in any conventional sense or write songs with more than two chords, few if any in the history of the genre could touch Lou at his best and absolutely nobody could sink to his depths when he was at his worst.

Metal Machine Music was pissing in the ears of the record label and any fan pretending to like it way more than Dylan's Self Portrait or the longest extended nonsensical Phish opus set to tape.

And somehow the recent collaboration album with Metallica was worse than that.

But in the end those things only add to his 'NYC/Fuck You, I'm Lou' charm.

As for the great shit, 'I Can't Stand It' by Velvet Underground is maybe the best example of synthesis between early Sun Records-sounding raw 50s rock and the mid-to-late 60s classic-rock that followed, while that chicken scratch guitar hook and simple/surreal lyrics delivered in true non-singer fashion could have easily been a great punk song ten years later if sped up.

'Oh Sweet Nothin' is one of the all-time elegantly beautifu epic length cuts without ever bothering with the bells-and-whistles or suite-style changes of more ballyhooed WYSP war horses like Stairway or Freebird.

Thanks to *name removed* for helping me rediscover what a great album Coney Island Baby is about a year or so ago.

No thanks to Lou for putting me onto filthy and depraved Hubert Selby and Charles Bukowski novels as a teen but going down that Dirty Boulevard himself is what makes him the man he was musically.

I even loved the completely earnest review he wrote on Kanye West's 'Yeezus' album earlier this year.

Game recognize game with an approving testimonial from one shit-starting, public-nose-thumbing, aggressively asshole public pop figure to another.

*Cues up 'Sweet Jane' intro from "Rock & Roll Animal" and gives whoever on this email chain is still reading the same cool head nod Lou gave -another-friend-name- that day they passed each other on the street in Manhattan years back*

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 03:38 AM

34. "You don't need to ''pretend'' to like ''metal machine music''"
In response to Reply # 32

It points towards everything from Sunn0)'s drone/sludge to 80's guitar-avantgarde like Glenn Branca and Rhys Chatham to industrial like (early) SPK and Throbbing Gristle. The interesting thing is that people-not necessarily you-were giving Brian Eno props for his ambient music in the same era (and I haven't even mentioned the heavily acclaimed minimalists like Terry Riley) that is actually based on the same principles to a certain extent. However, just because Reed was more abrasive, it suddenly becomes a joke? Nah, I think it's a cool-sounding record even if it gets tedious due to the "ambient" nature of composition with overlapping layers and loops as opposed to horisontal development which isn't truly my thing unless we are talking more groove-based music.

Anyway, it is a fuck you to the record industry in the sense that it came after some very successful records and was clearly not what neither the industry nor audiences wanted at the time. However, I wouldn't say it is without artistic merits at all or that nothing went into it...

JayEmm
3301 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 11:31 AM

36. "imo, the "problem" with MMM isn't so much about the art, "
In response to Reply # 34

but the artist that delivered it

the man that just released Sally Can't Dance was trying to push an RCA-labeled noise album to an audience that had no experience with music the likes of The Well-Tuned Piano, In C, etc. I'm sure most of that crowd did/does have to 'pretend'

yes, it was a drastic departure, but if you approach the piece with some understanding of the works that Cage, Riley, and their peers were creating at the time, the brilliance of the album becomes a lot more clear

personally, i find it to be on the less-enjoyable end of noise/drone greats, but I fully understand and appreciate its place within the canon. I'm also someone that has stacks of recordings by Earth, Pelt, and various Stephen O'Malley projects in their collection, though.. I get the fact that noise & minimalism isn't quite everyone's cup of tea

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 04:56 PM

38. "for the record I've never had any use for Brian Eno as a solo artist"
In response to Reply # 34

As a producer or instrumental collaborator I like the Bowie records & Talking Heads records well enough but I would have probably liked whatever else they put out during that same time period without him as well.

I don't really know the John Cale albums well enough to pass judgment & the U2 albums (which I'm sure you hate) feel more Lanois than Eno in retrospect.

Eno was an additive but not-truly-essential element like Jon Brion in the mid-to-late 90s through early aughts.

As for Metal Machine Music, it's better than Lula & that's about all the credit I feel compelled to give it.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 05:23 PM

39. "Have you heard Here comes the warm jets"
In response to Reply # 38

Its a great, kind of glammy ROCK/album he did with some experimental flourishes but not too much and those mostly come from Fripps guitar which smokes. Heres babys on fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMt1Oy5uQ0w

Anyway, check it out if you dig that era of british rock, it\s NOT an ambient, music for toilets kind of thing. Thats an eno/record you might dig...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 09:07 PM

40. "nice, I will check that out, listening now & this joint kinda goes"
In response to Reply # 39

that taunting vocal reminds of 'Corporal Clegg' a bit.....*time elapses*.....wow, Fripp is crazy.

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 01:48 PM

11. "R.I.P. Lou Reed "
In response to Reply # 0

s.blak
Satellite Of Love

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 01:54 PM

12. "RE: Goodbye twentieth century."
In response to Reply # 0

"Innovator" doesn't even begin to describe his role in modern music.

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"unspecified psychosis." http://bit.ly/HgJRBl
"untitled 6." http://bit.ly/19QmVPu
"untitled 5." http://bit.ly/GWjmBl
"so whatever 2.0." http://bit.ly/18hYTfT
"1.5.2.0." http://bit.ly/18UMv7A

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 02:53 PM

42. "right."
In response to Reply # 12

rdhull
Charter member
33145 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 02:08 PM

13. "R.I.P."
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 02:10 PM

14. "shit...just, shit. Much love and respect, Lou."
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 02:44 PM

16. "rip"
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 02:51 PM

17. "rip"
In response to Reply # 0

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

Jaymz
Charter member
2263 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 03:01 PM

18. "I'll be your mirror"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are, in case you don't know
I'll be the wind, the rain and the sunset
The light on your door to show that you're home

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you

I find it hard to believe you don't know
The beauty that you are
But if you don't let me be your eyes
A hand in your darkness, so you won't be afraid

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you

I'll be your mirror

-----
Get over yourself.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 03:10 PM

19. "One of my favorite Lou...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Oct-27-13 03:12 PM by murph71

Reed written songs... "Sweet Jane"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkumhBVPGdg

Suitcase in my hand
Jack is in his corset, and jane is her vest,
And me Im in a rocknroll band hah!
Ridin in a stutz bear cat, jim
You know, those were different times!
Oh, all the poets they studied rules of verse
And those ladies, they rolled their eyes

Sweet jane! whoa! sweet jane, oh-oh-a! sweet jane!

Ill tell you something
Jack, he is a banker
And jane, she is a clerk
Both of them save their monies, ha
And when, when they come home from work
Oh, sittin down by the fire, oh!
The radio does play
The classical music there, jim
The march of the wooden soldiers
All you protest kids
You can hear jack say, get ready, ah

Sweet jane! come on baby! sweet jane! oh-oh-a! sweet jane!

Some people, they like to go out dancing
And other peoples, they have to work, just watch me now!
And theres even some evil mothers
Well theyre gonna tell you that everything is just dirt
Yknow that, women, never really faint
And that villains always blink their eyes, woo!
And that, yknow, children are the only ones who blush!
And that, life is just to die!
And, everyone who ever had a heart
They wouldnt turn around and break it
And anyone who ever played a part
Oh wouldnt turn around and hate it!

Sweet jane! whoa-oh-oh! sweet jane! sweet jane!

Heavenly wine and roses
Seems to whisper to her when he smiles
Heavenly wine and roses
Seems to whisper to her when she smiles
La lala lala la, la lala lala la
Sweet jane
Sweet jane
Sweet jane

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 03:13 PM

20. "SAY A WORD FOR LOUUUUUU REEEEED. RIP, rock n fucking roll"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 03:13 PM

21. "SAY A WORD FOR LOUUUUUU REEEEED. RIP, rock n fucking roll"
In response to Reply # 0

TomWaitsInOkkervil
Member since Feb 07th 2009
1229 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 03:59 PM

22. "Damn, He won't be forgotten. An amazing talent. "
In response to Reply # 0

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 04:13 PM

23. "R.I.P.!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

His importance on various forms of alternative rock in particular can not be overstated; wer'e dealing with velvet Underground casting a shadow that lasted for well over 40 years:from Kraut-rock and Bowie to punk and post-punk to 80's "indie" to bands like Galaxy 500 and Mazzy Star to shit like BRMC and so on. What is often forgotten though is that Velvet Underground was a real rock-band in spite of all their artsy leanings which many/most of their followers never got.

And some of his solo-records are dope too; "Transformer" is a classic of course but I presonally have a weak spot for late 70's records like "Street hassle" and "the bells". And "Coney Island Baby" is gorgeous. And "Sally can't dance" in spite of its sell-out reputation a really fun record with all the time-typical "fake-rock" trappings.

And yes, "Metal Machine music" rules!!!

RIP!!!

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 04:47 PM

25. "Loved Coney Island Baby."
In response to Reply # 23

I agree also about a lot of fans losing sight of them as a "real rock band." I hear some people say things like "Loaded was sort of their most accessible album" in a tone that makes it sound like a negative thing. I love that fucking record, probably one of my ten favorites of all time.

Virgenes Corazon
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
2985 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 04:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "Goodbye, Lou."
In response to Reply # 0

He really did it his way, Sinatra-style.

Here is his last post from 10 hours ago on FB. "The Door"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151988713575953&l=de47fbf994

Avatar: Chikara Pro Wrestling. Born From Oblivion.

New Technology Vs. Horse album, "Sorry That I Knocked You Up" http://technologyvshorse.bandcamp.com/album/sorry-that-i-knocked-you-up

fluicide
Member since Aug 07th 2013
732 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 05:40 PM

26. "What?? RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Sun Oct-27-13 10:02 PM

27. "Wow! RIP."
In response to Reply # 0

Since 1976

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 04:45 AM

28. "respect."
In response to Reply # 0

JayEmm
3301 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 09:18 AM

29. "A Night with Lou Reed (The Bottom Line, NYC - 1983)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/B6Ar4xsNNE8

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 01:16 PM

30. "RE: A tune for Lou:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojA49jYIdIQ

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"unspecified psychosis." http://bit.ly/HgJRBl
"untitled 6." http://bit.ly/19QmVPu
"untitled 5." http://bit.ly/GWjmBl
"so whatever 2.0." http://bit.ly/18hYTfT
"1.5.2.0." http://bit.ly/18UMv7A

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 04:57 PM

31. "haunting and very fitting, thanks for sharing"
In response to Reply # 30

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 02:55 PM

43. "nice one, mate."
In response to Reply # 30

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 09:23 PM

33. "Thank you for the music, Lou"
In response to Reply # 0

I love this quote from Lou Reed.

"I was an English major in college (Syracuse University), for chrissakes," Reed said. "I ought to be able to put together a good lyric at the very least. It would be embarrassing if I couldn`t. And I really like rock. It`s party stuff, dance stuff and R&B stuff that we all grew up on and loved. But I wanted something that would engage you mentally, that you could listen to on another level. I just thought that would be the perfect thing in rock 'n' roll. That 10 years from now you could still listen to one of my albums because it wasn`t just a party record, but something that would engage you emotionally, intellectually, if not spiritually, on the level that a novel can. And because you also have music going on, you could do something that no other form could do, especially if someone is listening on headphones. You could really get their attention and really take them someplace. You`re joining the voice in their head with your voice-there`s no one else there."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-lou-reed-dead-20131027,0,4221650.story

maro
Charter member

35. "R.I.P."
In response to Reply # 0

Velvet Underground has never left the rotation....

thank you, Lou.

werd.

JayEmm
3301 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 11:34 AM

37. "Rock & Roll Heart - Lou Reed Documentary (American Masters)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/TjPuF-CYuic

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Nov-02-13 07:42 PM

44. "removed by user! haterade shower!"
In response to Reply # 37

JayEmm
3301 posts
Sat Nov-02-13 08:30 PM

45. "new link"
In response to Reply # 44

http://youtu.be/HtifD0P_kgE

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #162272 Previous topic | Next topic