Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #161163

Subject: "10 reasons why RECOVERY is a contender for GOAT album lyrically" Previous topic | Next topic
Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"10 reasons why RECOVERY is a contender for GOAT album lyrically"

I don't understand all the Recovery bashing that goes on as if to say Eminem has fallen off, when, in reality, this album is lyrically not only the best album he's put out but probably one of the best in hip hop, period. My only guess is that most of these lyrics just went over your head, so with that being the case, I decided to grab some lyrics from the album and break them down so you simpletons could actually understand and hopefully appreciate them.

"I'm standin’ on my Monopoly board. That means I'm on top of my game" -No Love
Lyrical breakdown: Monopoly is a classic board game published by Parker Brothers. By saying he is standing on his Monopoly board he is essentially claiming to be on the top of a game, his game specifically. Being on top of one's game would imply they are at their highest level of said game. Eminem is saying he is rapping the best he's ever rapped before.

"I'm strong enough to go to the club or the corner pub and lift the whole liquor counter up / Cause I'm raising the bar" -Not Afraid
Lyrical breakdown: For those not old enough to understand, a club or a corner pub is an establishment that serves alcoholic beverages. The main area in a club or a pub is the area where you will be able to obtain these alcoholic delights. We call these areas "the bar" which Eminem hints at by describing it as the liquor counter. That being said, by lifting the liquor counter he is "raising the bar" or, in other words, setting a higher standard.

#3a
"Stick my dick in a circle, but I'm not fucking around" - Cold Wind Blows
Lyrical breakdown: Metaphors, similes, etc in hip hop are typically used in more than one instance, especially the great ones. So what does that say about two "circle/a 'round'" lines being used not only by the same artist, but on the same ALBUM? Well, they are just that good. First, Marshall explains that though he is sticking his penis in a circle he is not fucking around. If one were to stick his dick in a circle they would be technically "fucking" a circle. A circle as a shape, more specifically a "round shape. Therefore by sticking one's dick in a circle they would be fucking a "round". Em is claiming to be very serious by saying he's not fucking around, and clearly one is very serious if they are sticking their penis in shapes.

#3b
"Cause I ain't playing around / There's a game called circle and I don't know how" -Not Afraid
Lyrical breakdown: This lyric combines the cleverness of the lyric in #3a as well as the lyric in #1. Once again, Eminem is not playing around, and to explain this further he claims to not know how to play a game called "circle". If one does not know how to play a game called circle, they would not be playing it, thus, they would not be playing a 'round', or, around

"Listen garden tool, don't make me introduce you to my power tool, you know the fuckin’ drill" -Won't Back Down
Lyrical breakdown: When you are introduced to someone in life you now, to a limited degree, know them. When Eminem introduces his garden tool to his power drill, the garden tool would now know his power tool. The power tool in the blossoming relationship described is a power drill, therefore, the garden tool knows the "fuckin" drill. An expression exists in which knowing the "fuckin" drill would be to know the rules, what to do, etc.

"My filet is smokin’ weed, yeah faggot the stakes are high" -Cinderella Man
Lyrical breakdown: A filet is a type of steak. In the event of a filet smoking weed, depending on that slab of meat's tolerance, the filet would more than likely become "high" off of the drug. This would result in the steak being high. When the "stakes" are high, a lot of risk and reward is involved. There is a definite risk in eating a steak that has been smoking marijuana. Again, extending this lyric even beyond what someone smart enough to understand the lyric would even think of.

"I'm an uncooked slab of beef layin’ on your kitchen floor / Other words I'm off the meat rack" -Won't Back Down
Lyrical breakdown: Another meat reference that probably went over your heads. Beef is usually stored on what butchers would call a "meat rack". If a piece of beef is laying on the floor it would be off of the meat rack. Marshall is comparing himself to a piece of beef on the floor as he too is off the meat rack, or, in other words, crazy.

"I shoot the gift like I'm hollerin’ 'Die Santa'" -W.T.P.
Lyrical breakdown: Santa Claus is a mythical character who brings children presents, of "gifts", every year for Christmas. If one were to shoot the gift they could very well be aiming for said gift giver, resulting in a fatality. If Em were to be shooting at gifts or the giver of gifts he would be likely to scream out "Die Santa" in the process to ensure he gets his point across. Marshall is "shooting the gift" when he is demonstrating his unique level of rhyming, a level displayed in this lyric itself. A metaphor within a metaphor? Where is Leo when you need him?

"Like a 'fuck you' for Christmas, his gift is a curse" -Not Afraid
Lyrical breakdown: Another reference to Christmas. This time, however, Santa is safe. As said earlier, on Christmas kids, and all people in general, receive gifts. ‘Fuck’ is a curse word, therefore if you were to get a ‘fuck you’ for Christmas, your gift would be a curse. It doesn’t stop there, however. Marshall is explain that his gift, which in this case is his ability to rap, is a curse. His rap career catapulted him to stardom and resulted in a living a life that almost killed him in his 30s. That’s quite the curse right there.

"Okay quit playin with the scissors and shit, and cut the crap / I shouldn't have to rhyme these words in a rhythm for you to know it's a wrap" -Not Afraid
Lyrical breakdown: Two magnificent lyrics for the price of 3 seconds. First, we have Eminem pleading for someone to stop playing with scissors and shit, 2 things that probably should not be played with one at a time let alone together. Scissors cut, and another word for shit would be "crap". If you were to play with scissors and shit at the same time you would be able to cut the crap. However, if one is just "playing" they are not being serious about what they are doing. So if one were to just be playing with scissors and shit they would not be doing what was intended. Here, it's time to stop playing and actually cut the crap. Cutting the crap essentially means to stop playing, so what we have hear is a lyrical infinite loop. Try wrapping your head around that.

The second part of this masterpiece is Em explaining that he should not have to rhyme words in a rhythm for one to know he is rapping. However, he is not only explaining that by rhyming he is rapping, another way of spelling "rap" is "wrap". If something were to be a "wrap" it would be over and done with. Em is claiming that when he raps, it's a wrap. Lyrically he has the ability to end something, be it “the game”, another rappers career or perhaps his own.

"I'll cut my toes off and step on the receipt, before I foot the bill" -Won't Back Down
Lyrical breakdown: If Eminem were to cut all of his toes off there would be nothing left hanging from his angles other than his feet themselves. Stepping on a receipt with said feet would, in a way, be "footing" the receipt. We also call receipts "bills", so he would in turn be "footing" the "bill". However, he's saying that he would cut his toes off, which would be crazy and he is unlikely to do, before he foots a bill. Footing the bill would to pay all costs for something, which according to this lyrics, Eminem would never do. Unless of course he has already cut his toes off, then the question of whether or not he would foot a bill is up in the air. Perhaps a more definitive answer will appear on his next album.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol nm
Mar 12th 2011
nice
Mar 12th 2011
hahaha.
Mar 12th 2011
LOL
Mar 12th 2011
ive only heard the singles
Mar 12th 2011
or spit in a really stupid accent
Mar 12th 2011
all but the lyric from WTP
Mar 12th 2011
i'm 99% certain this post is completely tongue in cheek. lol.
Mar 12th 2011
hohoho.
Mar 12th 2011
lol
Mar 12th 2011
log off
Mar 12th 2011
this is either the best or worst post ever.
Mar 12th 2011
you think im sticking my dick in a circle, homie!?!
Mar 12th 2011
      lulz
Mar 12th 2011
Are Eminem Fans Living In A Bizarro World?
Mar 12th 2011
QUIT PLAYIN WITH THE SCISSORS AND SHIT!!!!!
Mar 12th 2011
Em's a monster.
Mar 12th 2011
Cut the crap....#InfiniteLoopRap
Mar 13th 2011
Did you read the post? Or is my irony/sarcasm detector broken?
Mar 14th 2011
That is the most clumsy wordplay, trying waaaay to hard
Mar 12th 2011
^^smokin more weed than filets
Mar 12th 2011
      I'm wrong. I needed to think deeper to get it...
Mar 13th 2011
This post really opened my eyes. Cosign.
Mar 12th 2011
Lol Well Done
Mar 12th 2011
*BOOKMARKS THIS CLASSIC POST*
Mar 12th 2011
that "fuck you for christmas" line had me rolling.
Mar 12th 2011
I want u to breakdown more shit!
Mar 12th 2011
Whoever wrote this post is a dick head
Mar 12th 2011
^^^ got a 'fuck you' for christmas this year
Mar 13th 2011
had to read this twice to make sure it was a joke
Mar 12th 2011
Post of the year
Mar 12th 2011
Bro you should make a blog using this content
Mar 12th 2011
hilarious.. this should be archived
Mar 12th 2011
archive...but whats funny is i think this could be done for just about
Mar 12th 2011
Agreed.
Mar 13th 2011
RE: Agreed.
Mar 13th 2011
      black thought has made me cringe plenty...
Mar 13th 2011
           Me too.
Mar 14th 2011
RE: archive...but whats funny is i think this could be done for just abo...
Mar 14th 2011
Frank Longo made a slightly similar thread a few years ago
Mar 13th 2011
stop.
Mar 13th 2011
LMBAO!!
Mar 14th 2011
clearly one is very serious if they are sticking their penis in shapes.
Mar 14th 2011
LMAO
Mar 14th 2011
How many people in this post didn't get that it was a joke?
Mar 15th 2011
You blind?
Mar 15th 2011
I actually enjoyed recovery more than any Eminem album since The Eminem ...
Mar 15th 2011

Ben Dover
Member since Sep 18th 2009
304 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 12:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol nm"
In response to Reply # 0

_____

Ben Dover, bout to take over
run up in between two bitches
red rover

Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "nice "
In response to Reply # 0

no wonder I couldn't get thru 3 tracks of this shit.

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 12:18 PM

3. "hahaha."
In response to Reply # 0

illeffeqt
Member since Apr 04th 2005
1170 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 12:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

j.®
------------
i want that purple stuff.

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 12:44 PM

5. "ive only heard the singles"
In response to Reply # 0

but i assume all that is yelled.

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 01:05 PM

8. "or spit in a really stupid accent "
In response to Reply # 5

Oak27
13192 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 02:14 PM

9. "all but the lyric from WTP"
In response to Reply # 5

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 12:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "i'm 99% certain this post is completely tongue in cheek. lol. "
In response to Reply # 0

at least, i reeeeeeeeally hope so. there's a drop of worry in me that it's not though.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 01:04 PM

7. "hohoho."
In response to Reply # 0

This should be a series.

Ghetto Black
Member since Dec 24th 2004
10172 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 02:16 PM

10. "lol"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-12-11 02:16 PM by Ghetto Black

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 03:36 PM

11. "log off"
In response to Reply # 0

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 04:10 PM

12. "this is either the best or worst post ever."
In response to Reply # 0

avy: our new album. you may just like it. listen for free online @ http://theyesyesyalls.com

http://twitter.com/shamelessplug
http://theyesyesyalls.com

Oak27
13192 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 04:12 PM

13. "you think im sticking my dick in a circle, homie!?!"
In response to Reply # 12

I AINT FUCKIN AROUND!!!!!!!!!!

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 04:19 PM

14. "lulz"
In response to Reply # 13

avy: our new album. you may just like it. listen for free online @ http://theyesyesyalls.com

http://twitter.com/shamelessplug
http://theyesyesyalls.com

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 05:06 PM

15. "Are Eminem Fans Living In A Bizarro World?"
In response to Reply # 0

It amazes me how much props people give semi-talented rappers over lyrical ones that majority of the time is being looked up to by those same less talented ones; and it's not about a "who came first" or "who fathered that other rapper's style/flow" but just the fact that fans go overboard & quickly give dues to those who are only just getting by.

I'm not trying to downplay Eminem's status at all but kind of show where his lane is to others and not to move him in catagories he doesn't truely belong or his albums, if you like an album that's cool but don't exaggerate how dope you think it is when you know it's probably just what you're into at the moment that got you feeling that way.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Oak27
13192 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 05:31 PM

16. "QUIT PLAYIN WITH THE SCISSORS AND SHIT!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

denny
11281 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 05:51 PM

19. "Em's a monster."
In response to Reply # 16

This post is hilarious.

But let's not act like you can't do that with every MC.

BDK, Common, GZA, you could do this same shit.

topaz
Member since Nov 28th 2002
6236 posts
Sun Mar-13-11 10:53 PM

38. "Cut the crap....#InfiniteLoopRap"
In response to Reply # 16

-
Gang Starr / Nujabes blend - https://youtu.be/lsci1vu6ick
DOOM Tribute - https://youtu.be/qmBQ2BDefKM
Donut of the Heart cover in Javascript - https://youtu.be/afLc2CkC8lk

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Mar-14-11 08:34 PM

41. "Did you read the post? Or is my irony/sarcasm detector broken?"
In response to Reply # 15

----

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 05:44 PM

17. "That is the most clumsy wordplay, trying waaaay to hard"
In response to Reply # 0

but not natural, smooth, or clever at all.

If you think this is good wordplay, you are an imbecile.

Oak27
13192 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 05:45 PM

18. "^^smokin more weed than filets"
In response to Reply # 17

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Sun Mar-13-11 09:41 AM

33. "I'm wrong. I needed to think deeper to get it..."
In response to Reply # 18

...Em is so far ahead lyrically that I had to really think deeper to break down the quintuple entendres.

I couldn't get this post if were a little yellow piece of paper it stuck to my forehead.

kuddos.

cidolfas
Member since Nov 29th 2006
2247 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 06:03 PM

20. "This post really opened my eyes. Cosign."
In response to Reply # 0

NJMedStudent
Member since Mar 15th 2009
356 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 06:29 PM

21. "Lol Well Done "
In response to Reply # 0

I don't wanna be your friend
I just wanna be your lover
No matter how it ends
No matter how it starts

Forget about your house of cards
And I'll do mine

Wordup
Member since Mar 03rd 2006
36504 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 06:41 PM

22. "*BOOKMARKS THIS CLASSIC POST*"
In response to Reply # 0

k0la
Member since Jan 04th 2004
1353 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 06:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "that "fuck you for christmas" line had me rolling."
In response to Reply # 0

man, em' can still kind of come off, but geez...the substance of much of his rhymes nowdaways is pitiful.

peace.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 07:08 PM

24. "I want u to breakdown more shit!"
In response to Reply # 0

Classic

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Donkey Meat
Member since Jan 15th 2011
102 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 07:12 PM

25. "Whoever wrote this post is a dick head"
In response to Reply # 0

that's attracted to juicy man butt

Oak27
13192 posts
Sun Mar-13-11 10:23 AM

34. "^^^ got a 'fuck you' for christmas this year"
In response to Reply # 25

Goose
Member since Feb 05th 2006
4635 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 08:51 PM

26. "had to read this twice to make sure it was a joke"
In response to Reply # 0

well played good sir.

i prefer marshall on drugs.

http://smallkidbigcity.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/zgase
www.facebook.com/pages/Goose/207963479294713
www.twitter.com/gooseohio
www.dwightschrutebeetf

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 09:46 PM

27. "Post of the year"
In response to Reply # 0

Shows exactly what was wrong with that album. I don't even know how someone could retort to these.

I did like 3a for the way that he delivered it but still use that one as ammo whenever I'm arguing with people about this album

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Wordup
Member since Mar 03rd 2006
36504 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 10:18 PM

28. "Bro you should make a blog using this content"
In response to Reply # 0

this is good stuff

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 10:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "hilarious.. this should be archived "
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-12-11 11:00 PM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

...There is a definite risk in eating a steak that has been smoking marijuana

^^^ i literally spit out my drink right here

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Sat Mar-12-11 11:55 PM

30. "archive...but whats funny is i think this could be done for just about"
In response to Reply # 0

every rap album ever made...

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

denny
11281 posts
Sun Mar-13-11 12:09 AM

31. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 30

BDK:
"I'm makin the non-believers believe what I'm dishin up
And people that's still fans, will be air conditioners"

"What I'm used to hearin, I can't believe it's gone
But now just like a grill inside Burger King, the beef is on"

"We got the milk and honey
My rhymes are just like Abraham Lincoln's face (on the money)"

It took my faulty-ass memory searching google for five minutes to come up with those. If you take this post too seriously....it's basically making fun of hip hop cause you could throw a large majority of the greatest emcees into that kind of analysis and make them look ridiculous.

Whatever....funny shit. My fave part was:

"Footing the bill would to pay all costs for something, which according to this lyrics, Eminem would never do. Unless of course he has already cut his toes off, then the question of whether or not he would foot a bill is up in the air. Perhaps a more definitive answer will appear on his next album." hohoho.

CanUooooFeeLiT
Member since May 11th 2005
2178 posts
Sun Mar-13-11 04:29 PM

35. "RE: Agreed."
In response to Reply # 31

yeah the ones who rely heavly on similes and punchlines. There is way more chances of corn being spit unlike MCs like Rakim, Wise Intelligent, Black Thought, etc who don't rely on gimmicky type lines.

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Sun Mar-13-11 10:16 PM

37. "black thought has made me cringe plenty..."
In response to Reply # 35

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Mar-14-11 06:57 PM

40. "Me too."
In response to Reply # 37

They all have. Let's not pretend here.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Goose
Member since Feb 05th 2006
4635 posts
Mon Mar-14-11 10:50 PM

44. "RE: archive...but whats funny is i think this could be done for just abo..."
In response to Reply # 30

true but this was ten unadulterated shitty lines from ONE album, and there's probably countless more. and these arent just corny lines, these are failed punchlines, that em thought were clever.

http://smallkidbigcity.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/zgase
www.facebook.com/pages/Goose/207963479294713
www.twitter.com/gooseohio
www.dwightschrutebeetf

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Sun Mar-13-11 02:49 AM

32. "Frank Longo made a slightly similar thread a few years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=61269&mesg_id=61269&listing_type=search

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

thesickboi
Member since Nov 06th 2006
789 posts
Sun Mar-13-11 06:58 PM

36. "stop."
In response to Reply # 0

just... stop.

BISON CLASS of 97
Member since Oct 19th 2004
7295 posts
Mon Mar-14-11 06:29 PM

39. "LMBAO!!"
In response to Reply # 0

"I'm one of the world's great survivors. I'll always survive because I've got the right combination of wit, grit and bullshit."

© Don King

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Mar-14-11 08:36 PM

42. "clearly one is very serious if they are sticking their penis in shapes. "
In response to Reply # 0

LMAO

----

lakai336
Member since Aug 17th 2009
1306 posts
Mon Mar-14-11 08:51 PM

43. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 0

Man I gotta show this to my brother. Last night he was trying to honestly convince me that Recovery is as meaningful as Marshall Mathers LP and Slim Shady LP were.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Tue Mar-15-11 10:25 AM

45. "How many people in this post didn't get that it was a joke?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know what's funnier, the lyrical breakdown or the fact that about ten idiots fell for it.

--

lakai336
Member since Aug 17th 2009
1306 posts
Tue Mar-15-11 05:22 PM

47. "You blind?"
In response to Reply # 45

There was like 2 posts taking him serious in this entire thread. 95% got the joke, it wasn't too hard...

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Tue Mar-15-11 11:12 AM

46. "I actually enjoyed recovery more than any Eminem album since The Eminem ..."
In response to Reply # 0

People on here seem to dislike Revovery but I liked it. Also, you can make all rappers metaphors sound silly (and most of their other lines as well) if you break them down this way so this post isn't really making that strong a statement about Eminem's lines in and of themselves.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #161163 Previous topic | Next topic