Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #139450

Subject: "Dr. Dre and Detox's delay...from a production standpoint" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 12:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Dr. Dre and Detox's delay...from a production standpoint"

This is especially for the producers, and those familiar with the process and evolution of music.

We've all heard the 100s of reasons that Detox keeps getting pushed back, how he changes what it's supposed to be over and over, and the myths that surround it. At a production level, I was thinking about it all, and I think I can see what part of the problem is.

I feel that Dre's sound is completely burnt out at this point, as many of us have said, but I'm speaking more at a commercial level than an organic Hip Hop level. His mixing skill is still on point, he still knows how to make certain elements stand out, and his drums are still hitting hard...but fact is, he hasn't made a major single in a very long time...I'd say 2004-2005 is the last time his style lead to a single getting major airplay, with "In da club" being the last super hit he's had.

With Chronic 2001, he was able to easily modify what he'd done from the Chronic and Doggystyle era, which successfully evolved from the 80's N.W.A. sound he had. He had a rough patch around 96-98, where he took some East Coast elements (especially with the Firm) and merged them with his style, and perfected this by 99 with 2001. In the 50 Cent/G-Unit era, he added even more of a darkness to it to where the West Coast/Funk influence wasn't as obvious unless he used basslines.

The main thing I feel Dre's done is to test his style is to produce records for artists, especially his main ones, and see how the response is. Even though Eminem sold a good amount of records, I'm sure he realized the lack of response his music has got since 2006 and Busta's "Big Bang."

Main problem is that I don't even think it's possible for him to modernize this current style he has to where it appeals to the masses, which is most important with a record like Detox. He has to appeal to the OKP Lesson heads, the GD inbetween-heads, and the teeny boppers, which is something he's done since the 80's. I don't want to say that he'll have to use cues from everything that's "Hot" now, whether it's the post-crunk/snap ATL movement, the Get lite NY party sound, L.A.'s jerkin and "post-hyphy," but reality is that he's not going to succeed without changing his sound up at this point.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Dr. Dre and Detox's delay...from a production standpoint
Jan 20th 2010
dre is a perfectionist almost to the point of cynicism
Jan 20th 2010
RE: dre is a perfectionist almost to the point of cynicism
Jan 20th 2010
Yeaah, I heard about that article and that makes sense
Jan 20th 2010
RE: Yeaah, I heard about that article and that makes sense
Jan 20th 2010
      Yeah I think that is a major mistake he made
Jan 20th 2010
RE: dre is a perfectionist almost to the point of cynicism
Jan 20th 2010
      LOL Nipsey is cool to me but definitely overhyped
Jan 20th 2010
           i like nipsey, too, from what i've heard, but come on
Jan 20th 2010
With Dre and his legacy, it's actually necessary...
Jan 20th 2010
RE: With Dre and his legacy, it's actually necessary...
Jan 20th 2010
The album itself definitely isn't neaaarly as big
Jan 20th 2010
      RE: The album itself definitely isn't neaaarly as big
Jan 20th 2010
that's the difference.
Jan 20th 2010
      It is a major difference....for whatever reason though, I'm not mad
Jan 20th 2010
           RE: It is a major difference....for whatever reason though, I'm not mad
Jan 20th 2010
                I'm not buyin the 'hip-hop heads' vs 'rap fans' distinction, considering
Jan 21st 2010
                     I can agree though, it's ALL "Rap" to me
Jan 21st 2010
                     oh the title could still work, particularly in light of Em's newfound so...
Jan 21st 2010
                     great points
Jan 22nd 2010
                     RE: I'm not buyin the 'hip-hop heads' vs 'rap fans' distinction, conside...
Jan 22nd 2010
Good point.......
Jan 21st 2010
"outta control (remix)"? "30 something"/"lost ones"?
Jan 20th 2010
he didn't write songs with BB, he sent him half-ass drums tracks
Jan 20th 2010
don't make me dump dick in yo booty, chum
Jan 20th 2010
      like I said fagcake-he sent him half ass drum tracks on a CD
Jan 20th 2010
           i'm not disagreeing with that part, sausage toucher
Jan 20th 2010
                no it isn't, even tho he gave him those drum tracks that are all
Jan 21st 2010
                     RE: no it isn't, even tho he gave him those drum tracks that are all
Jan 21st 2010
                          ummmm yeah we do know that because he specifically said that
Jan 21st 2010
                               sigh
Jan 21st 2010
                                    yeah and you're not done....watch your asshole, guypal
Jan 21st 2010
Outta Control was pretty big, that's one of the 05 ones I think of
Jan 20th 2010
      RE: Outta Control was pretty big, that's one of the 05 ones I think of
Jan 20th 2010
           Speaking of "Crack the bottle" that song basically flopped
Jan 21st 2010
                What about Mary J Blige's "Work That"?
Jan 22nd 2010
                     That song got some commercial play but no damage at all
Jan 22nd 2010
If his album was gonna be anything like the Topless joint
Jan 20th 2010
SHIT POPPED OFF?!!
Jan 20th 2010
GAME doesn't belong in the convo with the other MCs you mentioned
Jan 21st 2010
RE: If his album was gonna be anything like the Topless joint
Jan 20th 2010
I feel everything you saying
Jan 20th 2010
RE: I feel everything you saying
Jan 20th 2010
      why don't you marry quincy jones
Jan 20th 2010
      Blind and Delusional
Jan 21st 2010
oh the responsibility he has!
Jan 20th 2010
being afraid to fail == bitchmade
Jan 20th 2010
quincy's the greatest...
Jan 20th 2010
      RE: quincy's the greatest...
Jan 20th 2010
then he needs to look toward Kanye
Jan 20th 2010
RE: then he needs to look toward Kanye
Jan 20th 2010
Jan 20th 2010
i think dre's hesitancy stems from his first flop once he left death row
Jan 20th 2010
how nigga? my last album was the chronic
Jan 21st 2010
that was a mind trick YOU fell for
Jan 21st 2010
      kinda true tho, the Aftermath comp wasn't really a 'Dre album'
Jan 21st 2010
      Yeaah...and even "The Wash" flopped but I thought it was dope
Jan 21st 2010
           I liked The Wash too, shit I even liked the movie a bit
Jan 21st 2010
      i didnt fall for anything dumbass
Jan 22nd 2010
           you're fall head over heels in love when I get done with ur hemmoriods
Jan 22nd 2010
Yeah that album got horrible response, but he didn't produce it all
Jan 21st 2010
yeah, but aftermath is HIS record label
Jan 21st 2010
it's because of the firm
Jan 21st 2010
I don't even know what I'd wanna hear on Detox
Jan 21st 2010
Yeah, I feel that he realizes that too
Jan 21st 2010
      "Higher" is probably the last track I could claim as a fave
Jan 21st 2010
Jan 21st 2010
Yeaah I feel the same, beats alone won't make it great
Jan 21st 2010
i think he realizes nobody wants plodding piano beats anymore
Jan 21st 2010
no one gives a fuck at this point apart from a niche group of fans
Jan 21st 2010
RE: no one gives a fuck at this point apart from a niche group of fans
Jan 21st 2010
Sarcasm?
Jan 21st 2010
i think dre could do better than a loop of a jon brion score cue
Jan 21st 2010
      in five minutes or less...
Jan 22nd 2010
      But guess what, he didn't. Doesn't matter the technique, its
Jan 22nd 2010
           he wouldn't. he could actually work WITH jon brion if he wanted
Jan 22nd 2010
He NEEDS to do some songs with Snoop...
Jan 22nd 2010
Agree Dre is about due for a revamp, have been for a couple
Jan 22nd 2010
dont cop pleas nigga
Jan 22nd 2010
Heads always seem to cop pleas tho..............
Jan 22nd 2010
RE: Agree Dre is about due for a revamp, have been for a couple
Jan 22nd 2010
he can only really be an elder statesmen type artist now
Jan 22nd 2010
he just needs to team up with some up-and-coming producers
Jan 22nd 2010
that's just not accpetable to me...
Jan 22nd 2010
Jan 22nd 2010

the fronz
Member since Dec 29th 2009
752 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Dr. Dre and Detox's delay...from a production standpoint"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not disagreeing with you but i think that's such bullshit. Why does he need to appeal to the masses? Does he not actually like hip hop anymore? I mean, he's got that dough... Let's be real, his shit would sell like crazy no matter what sound he went with, and that's the point for people like him right? I mean why else would he take so long to put it out. Does he have that much trouble being creative? Everything that comes to mind about this album comin out just makes me wanna say fuck Dre.
_

hears: Pete & CL - Take You There Remix

you can't see me like muppet babies' grandmama

Apollo Kid
Member since Apr 10th 2006
6527 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 12:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "dre is a perfectionist almost to the point of cynicism"
In response to Reply # 1

that interview stat quo did after he was dropped from aftermath really exposed the root of dre's lack of activity

stat said dre won't even take a picture with his own artists until they're deemed the next hot thing by the public

and he brought up a valid and often overlooked point when he said that game sat on the shelf for years until he got himself hot on his own, then dre started taking pictures with him everywhere and finally mixing his records

so the original point of this post is pretty on point.. dre obviously isn't sitting around twiddling his thumbs all day because he allegedly has hundreds of songs done for detox alone, according to a bunch of different people

i think he's afraid of not meeting the public's expectations but really, at this point, detox has insurmountable hype and i don't even think he's capable of making the 2001 of this era

he needs to go sign nipsey hussle and make him another "the documentary" and call it quits

the fronz
752 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:01 PM

4. "RE: dre is a perfectionist almost to the point of cynicism"
In response to Reply # 2

I still agree, and i still think thats bullshit. So he dug his own hole, and now he can't get out because he's a dick... ? only sort of joking.
_

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Yeaah, I heard about that article and that makes sense"
In response to Reply # 2

With Game, I definitely saw that first hand...I wondered why Dre even signed him, because he had NO hype in L.A. at the time and wasn't connected with many major artists. Game lucked out because of G-Unit wanting a L.A. pass, and he had the work ethic necessary to do what he wanted to. Many of us wished Crooked I had been signed, but in hindsight, Dre made the right move.

Yeah, the hype is just too big for Dre to comprehend...he may have better luck just changing the name of it and going from there.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:19 PM

10. "RE: Yeaah, I heard about that article and that makes sense"
In response to Reply # 5

>Yeah, the hype is just too big for Dre to comprehend...he may
>have better luck just changing the name of it and going from
>there.

he fucked up by stating publicly that 'detox' would be his final album. if he'd never said that, he could've released other albums between then and now, but he put himself in a bad situation with expectations.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:56 PM

19. "Yeah I think that is a major mistake he made"
In response to Reply # 10

And giving it a title period, along with all the other shit he said...talking about it was supposed to be a story of a bodyguard or something. Looking back, that shit sounds waaaaaaaaay too corny LMAO

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:16 PM

8. "RE: dre is a perfectionist almost to the point of cynicism"
In response to Reply # 2

>he needs to go sign nipsey hussle and make him another "the
>documentary" and call it quits

i was with you basically until here. he'd be better off doing that for snoop, if snoop was interested.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:58 PM

21. "LOL Nipsey is cool to me but definitely overhyped"
In response to Reply # 8

Nipsey does sound hungrier than Snoop, check out "Upside down"...and Snoop sounded pretty cool on it.

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 02:01 PM

23. "i like nipsey, too, from what i've heard, but come on"
In response to Reply # 21

a DR. DRE-produced album? or anything of the immaculate quality of 'the documentary' (i assume this would be a nipsey album w/ dre and various other producers overseen by dre)? way too early for that, if ever.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:01 PM

3. "With Dre and his legacy, it's actually necessary..."
In response to Reply # 1

The reason he's Dre is because he's always been a major icon more so than just a dope beatmaker/producer. Who knows if he "likes Hip Hop"...that all sounds great on paper to "do it for the love" but when you're Dre, you got a whole lot more to worry about than that.

Nah...truth is, this shit WON'T sell like crazy at this point. I don't think people realize that it's a completely different generation of Rap fans around now. I'm still amazed at the fact that the majority of High Schoolers were born AFTER The Chronic...which means that Dre is really an old head to them who's probably older than their parents. Even with 2001, I was amazed that it NEVER made #1 on Billboard! It debuted at #2 after Korn.

Being creative is not as easy as it may appear to be, even for people who are as talented as Dre. Because of his age and era, he's completely out of touch with the youth, just as most artists and producers 38, 40+ are. The kids in L.A. still respect him and enjoy the throwback tracks such as "Let's get high" "Ain't no fun" and even "Boyz in the hood," but that's only because it's L.A...I played "Ain't no fun" for a young college crowd in Florida in 08 and barely any of them even knew it.

the fronz
752 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:11 PM

6. "RE: With Dre and his legacy, it's actually necessary..."
In response to Reply # 3

i disagree though. The chronic (speaking to where i'm living at least) is still just as popular with 12 and 13 year olds as when i was that age, That record, and 2001, even if it didn't drop at #1 are never going anywhere. I think on the wave of those two shits alone keeps him relevant enough to be a success. But maybe shit's really that different overe here on the west coast, I mean since i was like 10 I've literally heard at least one record off the chronic probly every week.
___

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:24 PM

12. "The album itself definitely isn't neaaarly as big"
In response to Reply # 6

It is an iconic album, especially for L.A. and the West, but even with that, I guarantee it's not nearly as big with the teens here as the "hottest" Drake/Wayne album. The singles do get major play, and everybody knows "Nothin but a G thang"...but to most people under 21 who weren't there to see how big these songs were will never be into Dre as much as us, especially to the point that they support Detox and buy into it if the music isn't appealing to them. It is much different here, because most West Coast music that comes out now was directly influenced by Dre, Snoop, Quik, etc...but I was in Florida for six years, and even the people my age had albums and artists they preferred more...they all felt like "The West WAS dope...but not anymore"

the fronz
752 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:37 PM

17. "RE: The album itself definitely isn't neaaarly as big"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Jan-20-10 01:38 PM by the fronz

yeah i guess so... I'm certainly not holding my breath for detox either way. Personally, I always preferred '93 til anyways. I guess I just need to accept what's goin on. I'm 21, so I'm sorta like, bringin up the tail end of the 90's, tryin not to let go of what i barely got to see lol... But you've helped me to see tha light.
_

hears: Maspyke - Truth In Position

the fronz
752 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:18 PM

9. "that's the difference."
In response to Reply # 3

>I don't think people realize that it's a completely different generation of Rap fans around now.

Before there was one audience. Now shit's divided into hip hop heads and rap fans, pretty clearly. for that i say fuck 2010.
___

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:28 PM

14. "It is a major difference....for whatever reason though, I'm not mad "
In response to Reply # 9

I mean there's always been a divide between fans, but I feel it's great now. Not everyone in 93 loved "T.R.O.Y." "Humpty Dance" "Hip Hop Hooray" "Doo Doo Brown" AND "Doggy Dogg World"...many of the 25 and 30+ will love them all now because it's from their era, but at the time, most people weren't into EVERYTHING like we act.

I don't mind the ignorant "Stanky legg" tracks or the Jerkin sound at all...even the youngsters have told me "We like it because it's fun to do, but we know it sucks and we won't like it in 5-10 years."

CanUooooFeeLiT
Member since May 11th 2005
2178 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 10:47 PM

34. "RE: It is a major difference....for whatever reason though, I'm not mad "
In response to Reply # 14

shits been divided since 89 in my humble opinion.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 03:36 AM

39. "I'm not buyin the 'hip-hop heads' vs 'rap fans' distinction, considering"
In response to Reply # 34

in 1989 we were all calling this shit 'rap' and then somewhere along the way that became a dirty word in the mid-90s.

Fuck that, I say 'rap music' now sometimes almost out of protest because if some younger 'hip-hop head' tries to correct me on that shit I'll have to explain a few things to him.

As for Dre's situation above, I don't think it's 'bullshit' that he's looking to find a new sound regardless of whether his motivation is monetary, perfectionism, trying-to-keep-up-with-the-young-folks, fear, competition, etc.

I want him to attempt to find a new sound because I'd like to hear what he comes up with and his shit has gotten a bit stale recently even if I liked some of the beats on Relapse.

Being that he's Dr Dre & has changed his style up several times over the course of 20+ year career, I'd like to see if he's got another trick up his sleeve before being done.

I ain't holding my breath but I'm also not gonna count him out or be mad at him for attempting it.

It's also important to remember that a grown man who just lost his son to a drug overdose a year and a half ago may now feel some kind of way about putting out an album with the title Detox & some of the topics/themes probably set to be on it.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 01:38 PM

47. "I can agree though, it's ALL "Rap" to me"
In response to Reply # 39

I will say "Real/Traditional Hip Hop" in quotations just to describe a certain sound, but it's all from the same family.

But yeah, I really do feel like it's a good thing if Dre does find a new sound. That is kind of true with the themes and "Detox" but at the same time, Detox does mean to become clean, so it might actually work

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 01:45 PM

50. "oh the title could still work, particularly in light of Em's newfound so..."
In response to Reply # 47

>I will say "Real/Traditional Hip Hop" in quotations just to
>describe a certain sound, but it's all from the same family.
>
>But yeah, I really do feel like it's a good thing if Dre does
>find a new sound. That is kind of true with the themes and
>"Detox" but at the same time, Detox does mean to become clean,
>so it might actually work
>
But I just can't see Dre rapping someone else's words about coke & ecstasy in light of what happened in his home, I would imagine that would feel odd.

Wasn't the original concept of 'Detox' a hitman or something?

mistermaxxx08
Charter member

68. "great points"

dre can do whatever he wants he earned that right long ago, prayers still go out to him and his family. a loss is a loss and the man has far more concearns than the charts at this stage and time.

truth with rap is that unless you brought the goods then you were replaced and folks moved on. however dr.dre is a exception and has shown why over the years.

when feels he truly has the goods and what he wants then he will re-emerge.

CanUooooFeeLiT
2178 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 06:09 PM

85. "RE: I'm not buyin the 'hip-hop heads' vs 'rap fans' distinction, conside..."

Hip Hop/Rap, it's all the same except when cats were doing those wack azz house joints in 89 and you had the Snap/CC & Music Factory groups. They rappped too but it just didn't sound authentic.

Then you had other regions blowing up with Gangsta/Player rap(Cali)and Miami Bass(Miami). It started to become separate. Rap/Hip Hop didn't have that one for all feel anymore. 89 was the year that it started too me. It got much worse in the mid 90s but 89 was the spark. Damn I hated those obligatory house joints many MCs/groups thought they needed on their album.

I. Motion
Member since Jun 17th 2009
836 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:04 PM

54. "Good point......."
In response to Reply # 1

what really REALLY gets me is when niggaz be on that

"Dre is a perfectionist" shit!

oh really.....was Em last album "perfect" on some Illmatic status
after so long producing it?

Fuck out here with that perfectionist bullshit EXCUSE....it's play and now at this point hold no weight.

Cause nothing he his produced in the last 6 years have been "perfect" or even memeber to jusitfy this long to drop one album

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:11 PM

7. ""outta control (remix)"? "30 something"/"lost ones"?"
In response to Reply # 0

good points made overall, and i still think dre should've released 'detox' back when he was cutting bigger-than-hip-hop demos and writing songs with burt bacharach

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:22 PM

11. "he didn't write songs with BB, he sent him half-ass drums tracks"
In response to Reply # 7

on a CD and he played piano over them

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:32 PM

16. "don't make me dump dick in yo booty, chum"
In response to Reply # 11

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=33:hcfuxne0ldae

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 04:25 PM

29. "like I said fagcake-he sent him half ass drum tracks on a CD"
In response to Reply # 16

and he played piano over them

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 05:21 PM

32. "i'm not disagreeing with that part, sausage toucher"
In response to Reply # 29

the allmusic.com link is evidence that they've "written songs" together, even if not in the same room. we've only heard *some* of what they collaborated on. some of it was originally planned for 'detox' years back, and some made bacharach's album.

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 08:06 AM

41. "no it isn't, even tho he gave him those drum tracks that are all"
In response to Reply # 32

basically the same pattern
he gets co writer credit for them
he didn't so shit else and he confirmed that in his Scratch Magazine interview

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 08:36 AM

42. "RE: no it isn't, even tho he gave him those drum tracks that are all"
In response to Reply # 41

>he didn't so shit else and he confirmed that in his Scratch
>Magazine interview

and burt said the same thing in the onion av interview, but that doesn't mean nothing happened after that. we'll never know because that version of 'detox' is never coming out.

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 09:52 AM

44. "ummmm yeah we do know that because he specifically said that"
In response to Reply # 42

he sent drum tracks on a CD and that was it

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 09:54 AM

46. "sigh"
In response to Reply # 44

i took it in the keister replying back and forth with you.

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 01:41 PM

48. "yeah and you're not done....watch your asshole, guypal"
In response to Reply # 46

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:25 PM

13. "Outta Control was pretty big, that's one of the 05 ones I think of"
In response to Reply # 7

"30 something" is only classic for the 30+ crowd who two steps to it, LOL. Those songs got some play, but definitely won't be seen as his classic tracks or anything close to it in the future.

But yeah, Detox is really past it's time now.

CanUooooFeeLiT
2178 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 10:50 PM

35. "RE: Outta Control was pretty big, that's one of the 05 ones I think of"
In response to Reply # 13

maybe the last Dre beat I loved. Though Em's Crack the Bottle is close.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:48 PM

58. "Speaking of "Crack the bottle" that song basically flopped"
In response to Reply # 35

Some people felt like damn, for this to be Dre, Em, and 50 on a song, it didn't do aaaaaaany damage...got played a lot, but people just weren't on it...I think it was way too slow and didn't really have a lane since it wasn't anything near a club track.

IIIIIIIIIIIII
Member since Jan 10th 2007
817 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 11:25 AM

77. "What about Mary J Blige's "Work That"?"
In response to Reply # 58

It was the theme for an ipod commercial and got radio airplay. Or does it not count since it's r&b?

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 02:43 PM

84. "That song got some commercial play but no damage at all"
In response to Reply # 77

Nothin near "Family affair" and I thought "Not today" was a lot doper...I wonder why that song never blew up.

NewBorn202
Charter member
45673 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "If his album was gonna be anything like the Topless joint"
In response to Reply # 0

and the beat with just T.I. over it, I'll be in the stores to cop.

---
We From A Place
Where Dem Boys Still Pimpin' Them Hoes
We From A Place
Cadillacs Still Ridin' On Vogues
We From A Place
Where My Soul Still Don't Feel Free
Where A Flag Means More Than Me(IN MISSISSIPPI)

Fisher_Price_Fly
Member since Nov 03rd 2009
194 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 02:00 PM

22. "SHIT POPPED OFF?!!"
In response to Reply # 15

i don't know bout ya'll, but T.I. NAILED "Shit Popped Off." That really woulda brought the WEST back with the right cast on it. He even did the Snoop Ad-libs PERFECT.

i know Amerie got it, and he used it for that weak ass Dr. Pepper commercial, but dammit that track was PURE HEAT. everything about it, was JUST RIGHT. it makes you feel so tight. from what i've heard, the samples been used to death or whatever, but "WHATEVER'S EY!"

it was like the 30 something club track. it's like the whole west matured, it woulda been a real solid place to build from. ya'll gotta sub out T.I's voice for DRE's. He DID IT. My level of respect for T.I. stepped up tremendously when I realized he could really write outta of his own perspective...

WITH THAT SAID. I think that DRE/DETOX's biggest problem at this point is that he's always had access to the ENERGY. The market is over-saturated, and EVERYONE RAPS. Think about it, when SNOOP first came on the scene? EMINEM was the dude that brought that creative ENERGY out from him like SNOOP and the REST of the DOGG POUND helped to fuel the whole WEST. THEN! 50 CENT, came along and revamped after the EMINEM musings and creative juices had came to a halt. AFTER 50 CENT, came GAME! Think about those artists, and their presence, character and voices on the mic. shit even XZIBIT's energy at the time.

step back and look at those names. and think about those people in their primes, which Dre, got a chance to work with...not to forget to mention NWA...but I'm just talking about the state of the game. Nipsey Hussle ain't the dude to do it. He could play a supporting role, on the album, but who's gonna be the dudes that really help to define the album's sound.

Dre's obviously not inspired, and any dope producer normally feeds off the energy of the artists involved. what artists right now, would be able to help define a new album or a new sound like his previous albums did?

and he's pretty much fucked all the baddest chicks...and he's waiting for the next diamond in the rough that's not just gonna make him look twice, but that's gonna drive him crazy and have him sweating her. like going out of his way on some ol duncan hines cake mix, i'm so in love with yoouuuu babe type girl...(metaphorically speaking.) that's the artist he NEEDS for the DETOX to be able to stand the test of time like his other albums.

he might have been able to do it back when the GAME was taking off, but he missed that wave, or all the leaks killed it. but i think he's got his ears to the street, on his prince shit, trying to find the Apollonia! and until she surfaces, or he finds her, or she falls into his lap, the shit ain't coming out.

the hype don't even matter. but i really think it comes down to the above.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 03:54 AM

40. "GAME doesn't belong in the convo with the other MCs you mentioned"
In response to Reply # 22

but I do agree he could use some new energy to pop this album off & I don't see that being Bishop Lamont.

As crazy as it sounds it's been so long since Dre made an album that even guys that came up in the 'later' portion of his career like 50 or Em have almost retired.

CanUooooFeeLiT
2178 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 10:53 PM

36. "RE: If his album was gonna be anything like the Topless joint"
In response to Reply # 15

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that Topless/Dr. Pepper beat is CRACK. If ever properly released it would of been his best beat in the 00s

loki2stunt
Member since Sep 20th 2009
764 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:41 PM

18. "I feel everything you saying"
In response to Reply # 0

but the man built 3 empires, ruthless, deathrow, and aftermath plus he over 40. At this point dre like shaq, won a lot of titles, still talking shit, getting money and going thru the motions. The landscape ain't what it was, he just can't come out and blow the scene up like he used to. Them down south niggas can't rap worth a damn but they can make some beats for your ass and they hungry as hell.

Fisher_Price_Fly
194 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 02:13 PM

24. "RE: I feel everything you saying"
In response to Reply # 18

i hear you. BUT. remember, Quincy Jones produced THRILLER, in his fifties. of course he had Michael Jackson, to feed off of, but it only proves the proportional/inverse relationship that the Producer and Artist have.

he's just waiting...it's all he can do at this point if he wants the detox to live up to what he produced in the past. and the state of the game is extra fast food. but he gotta make something that sticks to your ribs. that good ol home cooked meal. that's is undeniable. that everyone can taste and appreciate. like my mother's homemade from scratch macaroni and cheese.

don't count him out. he's the quincy of hip hop. or the closest thing we've got. timbaland might have got an honorable mention if he didn't put out that last Shock Value...UGH!

the fronz
752 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 02:19 PM

25. "why don't you marry quincy jones "
In response to Reply # 24

I. Motion
836 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:57 PM

62. "Blind and Delusional"
In response to Reply # 24

>i hear you. BUT. remember, Quincy Jones produced THRILLER, in
>his fifties. of course he had Michael Jackson, to feed off of,
>but it only proves the proportional/inverse relationship that
>the Producer and Artist have.
>
>he's just waiting...it's all he can do at this point if he
>wants the detox to live up to what he produced in the past.
>and the state of the game is extra fast food. but he gotta
>make something that sticks to your ribs. that good ol home
>cooked meal. that's is undeniable. that everyone can taste and
>appreciate. like my mother's homemade from scratch macaroni
>and cheese.
>
>don't count him out. he's the quincy of hip hop. or the
>closest thing we've got. timbaland might have got an honorable
>mention if he didn't put out that last Shock Value...UGH!

not to mention misinformed

Quincy Jones is a R&B,Pop,Jazz, Funk producer,conductor, arranger, film composer, and trumpeter.

We talking hip hop.

and thats another thing heads kill me with.
This idiotic and naive notion
that Dr. Dre is equal to Quincy Jones.
He's not and never will be.

and cats also need to kill that hip hop "conductor" shit.
why he the only one that gets props and a pass for using other producers beats?
Cuase he's good mixer??

Wow

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 01:57 PM

20. "oh the responsibility he has!"
In response to Reply # 0

>Main problem is that I don't even think it's possible for him
>to modernize this current style he has to where it appeals to
>the masses, which is most important with a record like Detox.
>He has to appeal to the OKP Lesson heads, the GD
>inbetween-heads, and the teeny boppers, which is something
>he's done since the 80's. I don't want to say that he'll have
>to use cues from everything that's "Hot" now, whether it's the
>post-crunk/snap ATL movement, the Get lite NY party sound,
>L.A.'s jerkin and "post-hyphy," but reality is that he's not
>going to succeed without changing his sound up at this point.
>
>

i agree with this. he's a working legend, and trying to please EVERYONE must be tough. all those copilots in that scratch article a couple years ago (hi-tek, d. porter, etc)...that seems to me that he's trying to expand things.

but still, i don't anticipate "detox" as being something groundbreaking and so far left that i'll be scratching my head. it'll be well produced, polished, and LOUD. just solid all the way around.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 02:20 PM

26. "being afraid to fail == bitchmade"
In response to Reply # 0

and that's all it boils down to.

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

I talked a lot of shit in the 00's
Watch me back it up in the 10's
http://avanturb.com

Fisher_Price_Fly
194 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 03:48 PM

27. "quincy's the greatest..."
In response to Reply # 26

and he's not afraid to fail. he's just set a bar for himself and he won't settle for less. more artists should do the same.

i don't know how people take snoop seriously. the only time he goes hard is when he works with Dre, besides a couple of neptunes tracks he just gets over because of his voice. he's familiar. like "OHHHH YAAAAY BIG SNOOOP." but he's pimped himself, i saw that GPS shit he has and was simply disgusted.

i mean, when you're hungry and starving for something good, you'll wait however long for that good food to be cooked. you'll whine and complain, and maybe even go and make you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or pour you a quick bowl of cereal, but you immediately forget about all that shit, once that food hits the table. when you're digging in and stuffing your face loving every bit of the taste. and when you're in a half coma because you've got "the itis." is all that matters. so we may be pissed we have to wait this long, but if he's able to produce something equivalent to the great stuff he did back then. i'll wait.

the fast food is okay, but there's only so many good cooks left. and he's one of them.

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 03:55 PM

28. "RE: quincy's the greatest..."
In response to Reply # 27

>and he's not afraid to fail.

you sure?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1477880/20030904/snoop_dogg.jhtml?headlines=true

"Quincy Jones is reaching out to many hip-hop producers for help on his next album. For the LP, Jones wants the producers to remix one of his classic cuts, and in turn he will rework one of their songs. Jones' spokesperson said it's too early to disclose the album's lineup, but revealed it will be hip-hop heavy. However, a rep for Alicia Keys said she will be involved in the project." (Sep 4 2003 4:33 PM EDT)

redbaron
Charter member
4254 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 04:35 PM

30. "then he needs to look toward Kanye"
In response to Reply # 0

and see how he did it

cuz ye's probably the only producer to have accomplished this in the last 10 years on a consistent basis

but like Kanye or not, he innovates

so maybe what dre actually has to do is take a leap of faith with the idea that he'll define the new style that

"appeals to the OKP Lesson heads, the GD inbetween-heads, and the teeny boppers"

i mean i love 'catalina' that he produced for rae, but you're right about the sound getting burnt out

he's pulled it off before, i think it's in him to pull it off again, but as you were saying, he needs to come out of left field for this one...that old dre sound won't work this time around

i mean a dude like Dre whose life is producing and making beats, you figure he's gotta have some pretty out there shit in the vaults, something that sounds like nothing you heard before...he needs to take a risk

you have sexually transmitted crazy mouth...DEALBREAKER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdIMxP70sAM&feature=related

Fisher_Price_Fly
194 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 05:01 PM

31. "RE: then he needs to look toward Kanye"
In response to Reply # 30

he can. he KNOWS when he hears something outta this world, or ahead of its time. that's why he was on that "BOUNCE" from the last shock value. that shit was sooooooo futuristic. like timbaland 2008-09 met up with timbaland from the 90's and got on their/his ("black man in the future shit" YES I DOWNLOADED BEAMIN AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT) and WENT WAY HARD.

this is the closest timbaland has gotten to what indeed made him TIMBALAND if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3zj2SfGMeY

Dr. Dre could hear it!

and i apologize for the way the last post may have been interpreted. i don't think he's afraid to fail, as much as he KNOWS the standard he's set. and he won't settle for less. (that was in reference to DRE)

as far as quincy??! he can do absolutely whatever the fuck he wants to. he's the GREATEST. if anyone thinks any differently, they don't know what they're talking about. the fact that he's willing to put his work out there says so much about him anyway.

Kanye utilizes other people's energy, and continues to ride the wave, and he makes DOPE ALBUMS.)Kanye's just something else in himself though.

Dre should definitely take some tips, but his best work has come from the contrast that he's able to make for the artists that serve as catalysts to create new sounds. i don't know why people don't invest more in sound design and try and great sounds NO ONE else has. that's the biggest challenge, and people look past that.

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 05:44 PM

33. "RE: Dr. Dre and Detox's delay...from a production standpoint"
In response to Reply # 0

On Death Row he had the funk influenced sound via parliament and funkadelic.

On Aftermath hes been riding on the orchestra sounds with violins, strings, and pianos.

Where is the next sound gonna be inspired from? tough question. And I DONT see him riding on todays radio sound wave of nintendo bouncy beats. My greatest fear would be that it will somewhat sound like what hes been doing the past decade (ie: 2001)

signature pose.

buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Wed Jan-20-10 11:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
37. "i think dre's hesitancy stems from his first flop once he left death row"
In response to Reply # 0

that aftermath presents
he's been cautious ever since

...a child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind, god is smilin' on you and frownin' too, because only god knows what you gonna do...©melle mel

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 09:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
45. "how nigga? my last album was the chronic"
In response to Reply # 37

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 01:43 PM

49. "that was a mind trick YOU fell for"
In response to Reply # 45

NIGGA

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:04 PM

53. "kinda true tho, the Aftermath comp wasn't really a 'Dre album'"
In response to Reply # 49

the two songs Dre was present on (Been There Done That, East Coast West Coast Killers) were actually good.

The rest of it felt like just an upstart label compilation & what we found out was that Aftermath's stable in that time period wasn't very good & he had to go back to square one again.

I think Dre rapped on two songs & produced four, which makes it about as much of a Dre album as The Wash soundtrack.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:50 PM

59. "Yeaah...and even "The Wash" flopped but I thought it was dope"
In response to Reply # 53

I really thought "The Wash" song itself was as dope as Next Episode, maybe better because they played Next Ex out to death. "On the blvd" was dope as hell too...and the album tracks on there hit hard. I was trippin hard to see Soopafly use "Get dis money" and turn it into a smooth R&B track.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 06:16 PM

66. "I liked The Wash too, shit I even liked the movie a bit"
In response to Reply # 59

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 09:03 AM

72. "i didnt fall for anything dumbass"
In response to Reply # 49

nm

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 09:27 AM

74. "you're fall head over heels in love when I get done with ur hemmoriods"
In response to Reply # 72

don't pop at Popp, you powerpufferpolisher

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:00 PM

51. "Yeah that album got horrible response, but he didn't produce it all"

So I don't see what the deal was.

buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 03:26 PM

64. "yeah, but aftermath is HIS record label"
In response to Reply # 51

he the executive producer
that was his first foray out after death row
and it flopped

...a child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind, god is smilin' on you and frownin' too, because only god knows what you gonna do...©melle mel

Apollo Kid
Member since Apr 10th 2006
6527 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:45 PM

57. "it's because of the firm"

not only did it suck, but it also flopped considering all parties involved

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:09 AM

38. "I don't even know what I'd wanna hear on Detox"
In response to Reply # 0

Nuthin' But A G Thang clicked for me and got me into hip hop like, "This is what you're supposed to be listening to".

Still D.R.E. clicked for me again.

I'm not sure what could do it for me, at this point. None of his beats in between the 2001 album and now have really affected me on a level where I'd wanna hear a whole album of beats like that. I'm just tryin to keep my expectations and hopes low, so I'm not so disappointed that hip hop's "Chinese Democracy" isn't the wackest shit I've ever heard.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:03 PM

52. "Yeah, I feel that he realizes that too"
In response to Reply # 38

It takes the perfect combination of beats and lyrics/hooks to make classic music. I think he has been disappointed with the response of his last few releases, and nothing he's made has blown anyone's mind lately...some is dope, some is "oh that's cool", but nothing is "cot damn what the hell????" and that's what he's going for.

If he had dropped it around 2004-2005, he wouldn't have had as much to worry about...people would have accepted "Higher" and "Outta control" type beats as game changers, but that sound is already burnt out.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:50 PM

60. ""Higher" is probably the last track I could claim as a fave"
In response to Reply # 52

But even then, not many of his usual suspects can rip that kind of beat, and I dunno if I'd even want a whole album of it.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 09:50 AM

43. "RE: Dr. Dre and Detox's delay...from a production standpoint"
In response to Reply # 0

i hear what you're saying...his sound is getting stale, atleast based on what he's been putting out through other artists. the hope is that he's holding out on the good stuff but who knows if he actually is. its still possible to put out a great record though. the songs just have to be there...not just relying on the beats but great hooks/melodies and such. the verses will come easy, depending on who he has featuring on the album. he basically has the whole industry at his disposal so i think he could still produce some great songs using some of the really talented writers out there. i dont think his sound will seem like a leap forward the way it did with the first two chronic albums though. who knows...maybe he's got some tricks up his sleeve.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 03:09 PM

63. "Yeaah I feel the same, beats alone won't make it great"
In response to Reply # 43

And he does have access to everyone...Drake is the "hottest" out and he'd be flattered to work on the album, even though a lot of Dre fans would be against it.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44862 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:12 PM

55. "i think he realizes nobody wants plodding piano beats anymore"
In response to Reply # 0

ginormous hand claps, frankenstein kicks, and three piano chord melodies don't really cut it.

topless, on the other hand, should have been his new blueprint IMO./

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

AndrewVS
Charter member

56. "no one gives a fuck at this point apart from a niche group of fans"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-21-10 02:40 PM by AndrewVS

come on now. this shit is going to be exactly like chinese democracy. sorry doc but the world doesn't give a shit if you are trying to make it perfect. we got better music from more relevant artists who can make perfect albums without taking a decade to do it. not to mention, if he's trying to appeal to the mainstream, its a lost cause in the first place, because with every passing year millions and millions of people stop giving a shit what's on the radio. listening to something like eternal sunshine by jay electronica proves the point by itself -- that shit isn't even an album cut and its probably three times what dre could possibly put out at this point.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 02:52 PM

61. "RE: no one gives a fuck at this point apart from a niche group of fans"
In response to Reply # 56

stop lying to yourself...everybody cares

AndrewVS
Charter member

65. "Sarcasm?"
In response to Reply # 61

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Jan-21-10 11:48 PM

67. "i think dre could do better than a loop of a jon brion score cue"
In response to Reply # 56

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 01:04 AM

69. "in five minutes or less..."
In response to Reply # 67

________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

I talked a lot of shit in the 00's
Watch me back it up in the 10's
http://avanturb.com

AndrewVS
Charter member

70. "But guess what, he didn't. Doesn't matter the technique, its"
In response to Reply # 67

the end result that matters.

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 09:21 AM

73. "he wouldn't. he could actually work WITH jon brion if he wanted"
In response to Reply # 70

although i'd prefer joe henry, but anygay:

>the end result that matters.

you're never going to hear an "act I" type of song from dre. it's two completely different types of rap music. appreciate dre for what he does. the man is a legend.

ob1 kenobi
Member since Sep 11th 2003
4306 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 02:41 AM

71. "He NEEDS to do some songs with Snoop..."
In response to Reply # 0

...And see what direction comes from that. Chronic and 2001 were west coast albums that appealed to everybody.

"...You didn't do the knowledge what the God was manifestin'..."

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 10:16 AM

75. "Agree Dre is about due for a revamp, have been for a couple"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-22-10 10:20 AM by Alphabet

years since Game in 04-05...

Im with alot of the points earlier that Dre needs/is searching for that new artist to draw energy and inspiration from..ah la Snoop, Em, 50, Game..

It seems like Bishop Lamont ultimately wasn't it...going by those leaks, it looked like T.I. was gonna be that one..to bring that energy and inspiration..the tracks that did leak with TIP on them was definitively fire..

I think at the point, whoever that creative light source is doesn't even have to be on Aftermath/Insterscope, it's been rumors of artist like Drake and/or Wayne writing stuff so it seems like he's searching for anybody that's gonna light that spark.

Since Dre is a producer's producer in the most traditional since of the word..Dre is more interested in producing the whole sound, aura and landscape of an artist, or drawing from that artist energy..I think at this point that's the only thing that gets him satisfied..Dre is waaaaay past just 'hot beats', that's what he got Hi-Tek, DJ Khalil, Focus on staff for..the beatmaker vs producer thing has been discussed to no end so we don't have to get into that..

But, I think he can make a new sound in a heart beat..even the artist that's been dropped from Aftermath can't take away and have said that Dre got heat of all type of styles in them vaults..I think he's looking for the right artist, situation, buzz and anticipation, the right actor and script to applying a soundtrack to..

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 10:30 AM

76. "dont cop pleas nigga"
In response to Reply # 75

I. Motion
836 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 11:58 AM

78. "Heads always seem to cop pleas tho.............."
In response to Reply # 76
Fri Jan-22-10 12:18 PM by I. Motion

But realize we talking about Dr. Dre here.
Pleas,passes, reasons and excuses are a common occurrence when discussing him

(the latest ones being he needs a new artist to give him inspiration and creative direction but as a producer I though it was the other way around: you inspire MCs to go all out rip & the mic by your production ah la Premo)

and yes Dre is a legend

but all that he's a legend talk needs to stop to as a form of defense when and why his shit is soulless blend repetitive forgettable production with negative replay value.

again he is a legend

But so was Jordan after coming out of retirement the 2nd time....but did that mean anything on the court???

"But hey..he made the Chronic!"

Sure that was a classic album but not the epitome of what hip hop should sound like.....I mean the G-Funk era last how long in the grand scheme of things????

G-Funk played out pretty quickly once other easily mastered the sound also.

By comparison Boom Bap is still going strong after 20 plus years.

Fisher_Price_Fly
194 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 02:15 PM

83. "RE: Agree Dre is about due for a revamp, have been for a couple"
In response to Reply # 75

>years since Game in 04-05...
>
>Im with alot of the points earlier that Dre needs/is searching
>for that new artist to draw energy and inspiration from..ah la
>Snoop, Em, 50, Game..
>
>It seems like Bishop Lamont ultimately wasn't it...going by
>those leaks, it looked like T.I. was gonna be that one..to
>bring that energy and inspiration..the tracks that did leak
>with TIP on them was definitively fire..
>
>I think at the point, whoever that creative light source is
>doesn't even have to be on Aftermath/Insterscope, it's been
>rumors of artist like Drake and/or Wayne writing stuff so it
>seems like he's searching for anybody that's gonna light that
>spark.
>
>Since Dre is a producer's producer in the most traditional
>since of the word..Dre is more interested in producing the
>whole sound, aura and landscape of an artist, or drawing from
>that artist energy..I think at this point that's the only
>thing that gets him satisfied..Dre is waaaaay past just 'hot
>beats', that's what he got Hi-Tek, DJ Khalil, Focus on staff
>for..the beatmaker vs producer thing has been discussed to no
>end so we don't have to get into that..

anyone remember that Scott Storch article from the Scratch magazine. Storch said that Dre would throw away what Storch thought were "masterpieces" because it wasn't what Dre was looking for. the dude knows what he's looking for. he NEEDS that new MUSE. and I would understand the Drake/Wayne for new energy if they hadn't already put out SO MUCH material. they're over-saturated too. if he could have got a hold of Drake before everyone hopped on the wagon, then i think we'd as a whole be able to accept an album with him on it.

BUT, if he went and reached out to Drake now, it'd seem like he was just trying to latch onto something hot. And that's something that a person of his stature/reputation/ and just overall position in the game shouldn't have to, and can't afford to do. That seems to me, to be more of a hit to him, than it could help him.

SNOOP is only good right now, for nostalgia and familiarity. THAT'S IT. YES he'll get his spots and appearances, but hopefully they have someone writing that shit for him, and keep him to a MINIMUM.

he could have rode that wave of the 8 Mile, to 50 cent explosion, to GAME and the G-Unit and been able to successfully released DETOX. that was the prime time to do it. with all of that momentum and energy at the time...they had the golden touch. BUT, they let all the beef and dumb shit, deter what it is that they could have ULTIMATELY have accomplished, due to whatever silly reasons.

his best bet is to just let all the tension and rumors continue to circulate, and for him to stay behind and the scenes, and find someone who he can truly trust, to find that unpolished, raw and uncut diamond amongst this sea of talent.

think about eminem, i'm sure he was spitting dope, lyrical shit. but i think Slim Shady is a product of Dre and Eminem just being creative and bouncing that "what the fuck? shock value" vibe off each other.

i know i keep saying the same thing, but sometimes you gotta keep hitting them in the head until they get it.

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 12:33 PM

79. "he can only really be an elder statesmen type artist now"
In response to Reply # 0

and from the sounds of the demos that have leaked, hes going for a more traditional - and better for it - sound than he has been doing. which im all for. luckily for him hes dr dre so i think people will be okay with it, even the kids. his rep is THAT good. if he tries too hard to sound modern, at this point in his career, its bound to sound bad. so i hope he doesnt.

PimpMacula
Member since Dec 19th 2006
12972 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 12:39 PM

80. "he just needs to team up with some up-and-coming producers"
In response to Reply # 0

and have them create the framework for the beats/songs and then he can slap on the signature "dre" polish.

isn't that what most big name producers do anyway?

I. Motion
836 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 01:06 PM

81. "that's just not accpetable to me..."
In response to Reply # 80

>he just needs to team up with some up-and-coming producers
and have them create the framework for the beats/songs and
>then he can slap on the signature "dre" polish.
>
>isn't that what most big name producers do anyway?

and no one in my top 25 producers does this(not to my knowledge anyway)

Speaking of which...Premo recently said in a interveiw he had just hired Moss and this other up & coming cat name Gemcrates to Works of Marts Production.

Not sure this was a jab at anyone in partilucar or not
but he was very adamant about pointing out there wasn't gon be know "ghost" producing , taking credit for others creative work and "none of that shit" happening on his watch

You produced it you get credit and paid for it.If its a team effort spit it 50/50....and so on

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 02:05 PM

82. "RE: Dr. Dre and Detox's delay...from a production standpoint"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe Sa-ra can give him some stuff to use as his new sound?

signature pose.

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #139450 Previous topic | Next topic