Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #48056

Subject: "Interesting Final Cut Pro Rumor" Previous topic | Next topic
sean
Charter member
512 posts
Thu Jan-05-06 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Interesting Final Cut Pro Rumor"

ThinkSecret is reporting that Apple may release a high-end, online 4K-editor dubbed Final Cut Extreme at NAB this year, built to work with a beefed up X-Serve Extreme with dual InfiniBand, and Quad G5's (Intel?) with SLI.

This would beef up Apple's position in the feature film editing market, where they've been making steady but slow progress on Avid. There's been films edited in HD on Final Cut before, but 4K editing is the future, and only Avid has anything close, the DS.

What's important is that assuming Apple maintains the universal Final Cut interface with Extreme, it opens the door for current Final Cut editors to build their skills on Final Cut Express and HD/5 systems, and be able to more easily transition to feature film editing. Currently, the only way to learn to edit on Avid DS (for high-end feature film work) is to have a DS at your disposal... the Media Composer interface (or Avid DV) isn't the same as the DS interface/workflow.

Not that I'm anywhere near being able to edit features, but it's an encouraging thought none the less. It's nice to know that I could transition my Final Cut skills into a 4K online editing environment in the future, as their would be no difference in editing other then the resolution of the footage. Now all I need is that 4096 x 2160 pixel Sony 4K projector...

Sean

ps - Original ThinkSecret article below.

-------

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/finalcut6.html

Final Cut 6 to usher in new video editing era for Apple
January 4, 2006 - Apple is preparing to make a huge splash at the National Association of Broadcasters trade show this year, Think Secret has learned. Preliminary information from sources suggests that Apple will take advantage of the April show to demonstrate Final Cut Pro 6 to the public for the first time. Even more significant, Apple will use the stage to unveil Final Cut Extreme, an extremely high-end version of its video editing software designed to grab marketshare away from rival Avid.

Sources note that Apple's Final Cut Extreme announcement will coincide with Red's upcoming 4K digital cinema camera, a revolutionary piece of equipment that is said will be priced upwards of $200,000. Pricing for Final Cut Extreme is said to be similarly up-market, approaching $10,000 a seat, and will require the latest hardware from Apple.

System requirement rumblings point to a Quad G5 with dual Nvidia QuadroFX graphics cards to work with 2K or 4K media. Rumblings have also suggested Apple will release an even larger Cinema Display than the company's current flagship 30-inch display, one capable of supporting all 11+ million pixels a 4K camera (4520x2540 resolution) will be able to capture. 10GBase-T Ethernet may also make its debut in a future Quad G5 configuration optimized for the new software, sources said, assuming the standard is ratified in time.

Also expected to make its debut is an upgraded Xserve RAID unit, currently dubbed Xserve RAID Extreme, which will pack a dual InfiniBand link as opposed to the current fibre channel, while supporting more drives than the standard Xserve RAID. Word on the development of a more robust Xserve RAID has circulated for months.

Specific features of the new video editing software are less known at this point, although native editing of 5.1 surround sound in both Final Cut Pro 6 and the new version of Soundtrack Pro is said to be nearing completion. Final Cut Pro 6 will also support 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD, sources said. While Apple has officially thrown its support behind Blu-ray, the new version of DVD Studio Pro should support burning to both Blu-ray discs and HD-DVD.

The National Association of Broadcasters convention takes place April 22-27, 2006 in Las Vegas.

-----

---------------

I don't really believe in God
But God, I'm scared to death of God?!?
I swear to God, I never meant to spill
the beans
Nor tear the Bible
- Aesop Rock "Big Bang"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby High-Tech topic #48056 Previous topic | Next topic