Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #45147

Subject: "How much ram do u really need? (article link)" Previous topic | Next topic
exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Tue Dec-13-05 04:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"How much ram do u really need? (article link)"

http://tinyurl.com/dfq2l

we all know there is no such thing as too much memory. this article goes in depth wiht benchamarks and so on.

"Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today." Malcolm X
avy by okp soulgyal

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I read this before. I think it is five 12
Dec 13th 2005
personally i don't like having less than a gig
Dec 13th 2005
i have 1, wish i had 2, i want 4 gigs
Dec 13th 2005
I hate toms hardware articles....
Dec 13th 2005
I dunno bout you but I used to trust Toms Hardware
Dec 14th 2005
      RE: I dunno bout you but I used to trust Toms Hardware
Dec 14th 2005
           Lol, I got too many spyware programs running
Dec 14th 2005
uh. am i the only person that hates benchmarks?
Dec 14th 2005
how is there no real accuracy?
Dec 14th 2005
      benchmarks don't mirror real-world activity
Dec 14th 2005
Hmm. Do you know where I can download more RAM?
Dec 14th 2005
I have 1 gig, I guess I need another
Dec 14th 2005
Damn 12 pages? I'm gonna need the footnotes.
Dec 14th 2005
last page for summary
Dec 14th 2005
      word
Dec 14th 2005
1 GB(1,024 MB) of Random Access Memory in a Computer.
Dec 14th 2005

Soulwarrior
Charter member
6671 posts
Tue Dec-13-05 10:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I read this before. I think it is five 12"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace and Blessings C.A.D 5000 says -"Smile Jesus Loves you"
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2130114850
He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life"
-Ali

exactopposite
15132 posts
Tue Dec-13-05 10:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "personally i don't like having less than a gig"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Dec-13-05 10:42 PM by exactopposite

the linux machine i just built has 512, but i plan on adding a gig to that in the near future

"Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today." Malcolm X
avy by okp soulgyal

Phat_Bastard
Member since Oct 16th 2003
3775 posts
Tue Dec-13-05 10:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i have 1, wish i had 2, i want 4 gigs"
In response to Reply # 0

DROkayplayer™ 2004: I forgot to change my sig.

Vertigo
Charter member
1829 posts
Tue Dec-13-05 11:21 PM

4. "I hate toms hardware articles...."
In response to Reply # 0

...cause they always have that used car salesman vibe to them...like they're trying to fit the article to their preconceived conclusion.

But with that said, the article does illustrate that to run the top notch games at full bore you need at least a gig of ram. And to run *most* games adequately and do virually all other tasks quickly 512 is fine. 1 gig is recommened for the average aggressive user---basically what every casual computer fan would tell you.

I would have liked to see them test up to 4 GB--which is the XP limit for ram--maybe even start at 256 MB, go 512, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB. Hit the same tests they did in the first few pages, then do a real multitasking exercise.

Sidenote: I completely threw out their "multi-tasking" section, because honestly who multi-tasks with Quake 4 running? I don't care how speedy your rig is, you're going to shut down everything else for that game. They already knew Quake 4 taxes the ram hard, so it would point out that you need gargantuan amounts of ram to run it (with or without anything else). I don't see how that's an objective test.

They should have run more commonly multi-tasked programs like have a web browser, excel, messenger, a bittorrent client, and a mp3 or video file playing--then run a program or two like a photoshop rendering, mp3 compression, or zip file compression. I think that would give the user a more realistic look into multi-tasking ram performance rather than Quake 4--which we already established is better with more ram.

BlacKnightSC
Member since Feb 10th 2004
2290 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 03:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
5. "I dunno bout you but I used to trust Toms Hardware"
In response to Reply # 4

in most of the shit i used to do...them and 3D gamers (or what was it called) seemed to offer the best benchmark for the latest things. Sucks I lost my computer edge with college...but good point on the multi-tasking with Quake 4, though i would think after you hit 512 doing stuff like messenger and internet explorer and compression would be piece of cake for your computer.

That reminds me...I gotta figure out why the fuck my cpu gets used so much and im missing like 1/2 of my ram with just anti virus and firewall and spyware programs running in my taskbar...or maybe its time I brought my rig up to a gig and ditched this piece of shit Geforce 2.

Brooklyn...home to the illest emcees in the world. Aint no other city fucking with us.

InstruMental
Member since Nov 10th 2005
12463 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 10:25 AM

10. "RE: I dunno bout you but I used to trust Toms Hardware"
In response to Reply # 5

>That reminds me...I gotta figure out why the fuck my cpu gets
>used so much and im missing like 1/2 of my ram with just anti
>virus and firewall and spyware programs running in my
>taskbar...or maybe its time I brought my rig up to a gig and
>ditched this piece of shit Geforce 2.

Yeah all that crap adds up QUICK in the RAM theft, and damn what they say, some programs even in XP still have memory leaks. Nobody's checking for code integrity in spyware so that might be a real problem if you got a lot of it. Try Spybots?

<---Okay Jima (© Bridgetown)

http://www.myspace.com/musicphilosophy
http://www.myspace.com/icapinstrumental <---updated 5/31/07
http://www.soundclick.com/realsoonthemental <---NEW

BlacKnightSC
Member since Feb 10th 2004
2290 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 07:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
13. "Lol, I got too many spyware programs running"
In response to Reply # 10

I used to only have spybot running, then i added microsoft anti spyware which was cool...but now zonealarm pro and nortons 2006 have anti spyware support and im like WTF this shit is getting ridiculous. I might downgrade zonealarm and maybe ditch microsoft anti spyware...but imma still definetly get the gig of ram and video card; I wanna see dem pixels in Unreal Tourney 2004 shine!

Brooklyn...home to the illest emcees in the world. Aint no other city fucking with us.

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 06:37 AM

6. "uh. am i the only person that hates benchmarks?"
In response to Reply # 0

doesn't offer any real accuracy.
well i know i'm not the only one because there's a handful of us at my job that refuse to pay attention to benchmark scores.

---------------------
do this don't do that.
http://www.myspace.com/thievinstealberg

Darryl_Licke
Member since Jun 06th 2002
70279 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "how is there no real accuracy?"
In response to Reply # 6

Seems to be a standard way of doing experiments.

but there is nothing wrong with being odd. i mean you arent inkast or adwhizz odd. - VABestBBW
Binlahab is a bitch.
I wouldn't trust okp, some of them don't even get any anymore since the Re's stopped - Anonymous OKP

Rex
Charter member
2133 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 08:50 PM

15. "benchmarks don't mirror real-world activity"
In response to Reply # 12

not to say you shouldn't look at benchmarks, but i don't go around trying to compress James Bond DVDs 400+ times.

most pro users are multitaskers, running myriads of apps whose processes are hard to characterize via simple compression/data transfer tests. not to mention the different component configurations that come into play.

the way i see it, they're good for indicating the max power of your system in a given condition. but actual percieved power by the user is another thing altogether, and benchmarks are just indicators of this power but by no means are the results 1-to-1.

=============
XBL Gamertag: OxCityPauze

www.homegrownblends.com
www.facebook.com/HomegrownBlends
www.freshcrate.com

The Damaja
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
18637 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 06:49 AM

7. "Hmm. Do you know where I can download more RAM?"
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------
Why do you choose to mimic these wack MCs?
Why do you choose to listen to R&B?

"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to." Leela

*puts emceeing in a box*

Nabs
Charter member
11405 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 08:12 AM

8. "I have 1 gig, I guess I need another"
In response to Reply # 0

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52630 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 08:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Damn 12 pages? I'm gonna need the footnotes."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't need to read all that to know to buy at least a gig.
===========================================
-Me

Darryl_Licke
Member since Jun 06th 2002
70279 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 11:15 AM

11. "last page for summary"
In response to Reply # 9

but there is nothing wrong with being odd. i mean you arent inkast or adwhizz odd. - VABestBBW
Binlahab is a bitch.
I wouldn't trust okp, some of them don't even get any anymore since the Re's stopped - Anonymous OKP

exactopposite
15132 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 09:50 PM

16. "word"
In response to Reply # 11

avy by okp soulgyal

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Wed Dec-14-05 07:53 PM

14. "1 GB(1,024 MB) of Random Access Memory in a Computer."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Lobby High-Tech topic #45147 Previous topic | Next topic