Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #43570

Subject: "DirectWay or WildBlue Satellite Internet??" Previous topic | Next topic
Cartdawg
Charter member
3977 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"DirectWay or WildBlue Satellite Internet??"

Any of ya'll got either one of these??

If you do......which is better?

Gimme some Pros and Cons if you can.

I'm movin to an area that doesnt have cable high speed access (Although I'm tryin hard to get it..hell even try to pay for them to run it to me)...But I need this alternative instead of damn Dial Up..

Anyone??

------------------------------

'I walk the fine line between bein ill and bein sick...an you walk a fine line between bein bein a pussy an bein a bitch'

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: DirectWay or WildBlue Satellite Internet??
Dec 01st 2005
Well..Its like this..
Dec 01st 2005
      If you're doing any type of VPN connection, find another alternative
Dec 01st 2005
      Right..that's what Im hearing as well..
Dec 01st 2005
      RE: Well..Its like this..
Dec 01st 2005
DirecWay is bullshit. Dont fuck wit it.
Dec 02nd 2005

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 08:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: DirectWay or WildBlue Satellite Internet??"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel for you, I really do.
I had the same problem when I moved into a new developement. The cable company told me it wasn't in my neighborhood yet.
But I got to prying and talking to the cable guy that was over behind my neighbors house that was built two years prior. Turned out that the folks across the street had it but the developer hadn't reported to the cable company that the houses on my side of the street were completed. I raised a fuss and talked to the right people at Comcast somehow and they ended up connecting me a few weeks later. It was ABSOLUTE HELL living without highspeed for those few weeks.
Moral of the story: Be absolutely SURE it's not available. 50% of the time, the phone operators don't know what they are talking about. ...
With that said, I was leaning heavy towards DirectWay simply because of their relationship to DirecTV. I don't know if they are still related though.
Where do you live?

Cartdawg
Charter member
3977 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:02 AM

2. "Well..Its like this.."
In response to Reply # 1

Seriously..I AM moving into the Sticks.....The cable is actually on the main road...not 1/4 of the mile away....I live in VA..Moving to Orange County..if you know where that is..near Culpepper.

Like I said tho...the cable is on the main road...we're moving to a house that's off the main road on a dirt road.....and...its a new house...plus..my wife's brother is almost done building another house...and We're going to be building another house as well..3 right close to each other...not to mention..before you get to our house, there's new ones being built as well..like 3. My wife's mom went and asked a couple of people..if cable was brought..would they get it...they said yes..they'd love to have it!
So..she goes up to the actual Office near there...and they say its not out there..dah dah..and they can't do it...unless WE pay for it. I been tryin to get a damn quote for like a month and a half now..just to see what it would be. I actually called the main number the other night..and have some girl working on something for me as well..trying to see if we can get it out there. I want cable this bad. Obviously. Satellite is no comparison...and I don't want to sign a contract if cable is going to come in..say 6 months. But..my new job really requires me to have internet for remote connectivity..

SO..I'm kinda stuck right now....going thru the mix of bitching at the cable company..asking them why they want to deny willing paying customers that WANT their service!

I dont know what to do..and its been stressin me out like crazy. i'm a DJ on the side as well....so...my livelyhood on that is resting upon this as well unfortunately.

'I walk the fine line between bein ill and bein sick...an you walk a fine line between bein bein a pussy an bein a bitch'

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "If you're doing any type of VPN connection, find another alternative"
In response to Reply # 2

VPN connections can't connect due to an issue in the latency. That's been my experience.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

Cartdawg
Charter member
3977 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:21 AM

4. "Right..that's what Im hearing as well.."
In response to Reply # 3

VPN doesnt work on Satellite..

And..I'm assuming that's what my job will want me to be using..duh.

They say that 56k modem works hands down better than satellite for VPN....Oddly strange..

I truly did not know that there were places that you couldnt get cable .......except for like..a mountain top or something.

I'm not THAT remote here actually.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 09:54 AM

5. "RE: Well..Its like this.."
In response to Reply # 2

Damn son,,, are you a redneck?? Lol...j/k.....
Culpepper, yep I know exactly where that is. That's pretty far out there. But sounds like it's worth it for you to keep pressing the cable company to hook yall up. Especially if it's only 1/4 mile away. Assuming that you still wouldn't be too far from the source station that is.
DirectWay is gonna make you sign a contract...
If I were you, i'd either do the dial up thing for a minute, or see if Verizon's EVDO service is available in your area.

I just figured this scrolling shit out!!!

BreezeBoogie
Charter member
7903 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 02:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "DirecWay is bullshit. Dont fuck wit it."
In response to Reply # 0

My pop's had that shit for over a year. the service is horrible. would go down for weeks at a time. the mail servers would go down for many weeks at a time too. the customer service was consistently the worst customer service I've ever experienced. shit wasn't cheap either.

-----------------------
"I'm so glad I got my own
I'm so glad that I can see
my life's a natural high
the man can't put no thing on me" (c) Curtis Mayfield

Lobby High-Tech topic #43570 Previous topic | Next topic