Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #43228

Subject: "PC Hard Drive Help" Previous topic | Next topic
DonVito
Charter member
1859 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 04:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"PC Hard Drive Help"

My computer is about to kick the can, at least I think it is. However, as far as computing capacity goes, it theoretically still has all I need as I don’t do much more than browsing, a couple games, and run a jukebox out of it. I got it 5 summers ago, before leaving for college, and it was top of the line, 2.33 GHz Pentium 4, 512 mbs of DDR Ram, a more than adequate sound and video card, my monitor is great, speakers are perfect. Basically, I am trying to avoid buying a completely new computer, and I am hoping that the only problem that is truly an issue is that my hard drive has essentially been turned on for 5 straight years, subjected to heavily downloading, and recently, because of negligence, come under attack from adware and spyware, with a couple viruses thrown into the cocktail for good measure I’m sure.

Do you think that scrapping my current hard drive and simply replacing it with a new one would essentially press the proverbial reset button on my computer and everything else will go back to normal? Search times are horrible, multitasking is virtually impossible now, and I don’t suspect it is because of RAM issues but that my hard drive is just fried. I am trying to avoid going the Apple route, but fear if I do need a new one, I will have to switch over to the dark side. How hard is it to reload XP onto a completely fresh hard drive? thanks in advance.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Ain't even gotta do that--you could just reformat and reinstall
Nov 28th 2005
you have a decent computer
Nov 28th 2005
reformat
Nov 28th 2005

InstruMental
Member since Nov 10th 2005
12463 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 05:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Ain't even gotta do that--you could just reformat and reinstall"
In response to Reply # 0

and be good to go.

A system with those specs is good for a while longer, esp. if you add another 512MB RAM to it.

The HDD is normally gonna work in binary fashion: that is, it either works or it don't. If you haven't been plagued with stability problems the whole five years then it's gonna keep on chugging till the day it quits...and even on that day, you can probably still get the data off of it if you didn't back it up.

<---Okay Jima (© Bridgetown)

http://www.myspace.com/musicphilosophy
http://www.myspace.com/icapinstrumental <---updated 5/31/07
http://www.soundclick.com/realsoonthemental <---NEW

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 06:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "you have a decent computer"
In response to Reply # 0

i would reformat the hard drive if it is slow (could be spyware). upgrade to windows xp if you haven't done so already. you have enough RAM but you could pop in another 512 if your computer can upgrade to that. only get a new hard drive if you want more disk space...

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
1998 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 11:37 PM

3. "reformat"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby High-Tech topic #43228 Previous topic | Next topic