Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #304463

Subject: "My HP laptop powers up intermittently. Looking for advice" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Wed Apr-17-19 06:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My HP laptop powers up intermittently. Looking for advice"

Hey,

I have an 2016 HP laptop which has run well without any major problems besides a hard drive which failed a couple of years ago.

The bootup issue happens very rarely, but has happened twice in the past three months. I don't remember what happened last time, but today my computer was placed in Sleep mode and when the power button was pressed to restart the computer, nothing happened. It's worth noting that the batter was fully charged at this time.

Then the power button was pressed repeatedly, sometimes for up to 10 seconds at a time.

After the computer sat still for a minute or so, the computer powered on after the power button was pressed.

So, for now everything's good. But I'm getting a bit concerned about the health of my laptop.

Would any of you think the issue could be with the motherboard or power supply? If so, how would I troubleshoot those issues?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
HP computers are kinda shoddy
Apr 18th 2019
Yeah, although I've had good luck with this laptop.
Apr 18th 2019
      It turns out that the issue was with the power outlets at the library...
Apr 18th 2019
           it's wild how fucking electricity
Apr 19th 2019
                Apparently
Apr 19th 2019

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "HP computers are kinda shoddy"
In response to Reply # 0

was it a clean install of Windows when you first got it?

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 07:10 PM

2. "Yeah, although I've had good luck with this laptop."
In response to Reply # 1

It's worked relatively well and the hard drive issue came from a drop of the laptop on a granite counter top. (not my finest moment)

Actually today, the laptop isn't drawing power from the cord. So, maybe my issue was just the cord, but I'm thinking the outlet in the laptop may be bad.

If it's the motherboard, I may just buy a new PC. I don't think the motherboard would be pricey. Probably less than $200. But I could also just use that $200 on a brand new machine which would be much faster than my i5.

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 11:00 PM

3. "It turns out that the issue was with the power outlets at the library..."
In response to Reply # 2

and not my machine.

But I'm going to start shopping for laptops soon. I do like this current laptop but it's for business and my income doesn't come in if the laptop doesn't function.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 05:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "it's wild how fucking electricity "
In response to Reply # 3

is less predictable than you'd think

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 06:30 PM

5. "Apparently"
In response to Reply # 4

Lobby High-Tech topic #304463 Previous topic | Next topic