Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #304398

Subject: "STADIA: Google's new streaming video game" Previous topic | Next topic
LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Tue Mar-19-19 01:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"STADIA: Google's new streaming video game"

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/19/google-streaming-video-games-gdc-2019/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

+ 10.2 terraflops
+ Stadia will be able to stream games in 4K, 60FPS and HDR color at launch, but eventually it'll support up to 8K.
+ They did a demo w/ Assassin's Creed: Odyssey where they switched from a Chrome tablet, to a PC, to a phone and then to a tablet. Same game.
+ You can use any USB controller, but they have a Stadia version. Looks like the Xbox controller.
+ Stadia's Crowd Play feature allows people watching a YouTube livestream to jump in line and actually join that streamer's game.

Would you buy a AAA title on a streaming service like this if it offered you the same quality as your PS4 Pro/XB1X?

https://digife.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was a part of their Project Stream beta
Mar 19th 2019
BUT WHEN WE PLAYING APEX
Mar 19th 2019
I’ma be on! Gotta see what that Octane about.
Mar 19th 2019
      man message me and I'll hop on
Mar 22nd 2019
Interesting
Mar 19th 2019
It’s dope for making a console out of your laptop
Mar 19th 2019
me too and all of this is accurate
Mar 21st 2019
I'm using the Shadow streaming service
Mar 21st 2019
Watched today’s presentation. I’ll pass
Jun 06th 2019
so i got the premier edition for free with the youtube premium offer
Dec 10th 2020

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Mar-19-19 02:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I was a part of their Project Stream beta"
In response to Reply # 0

I got to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey on my 2013 Macbook on my 60 down, 5 up WIFI connection.

It's not my first time messing with streaming. I had OnLive when that was a thing. My experience with Google's joint was not leaps and bounds better than that.

The image quality will typically be much softer than what you get on console, even if the max resolution is higher.

You ever hook a retro console up to an HDTV with component cables? It looks like that. Also, the lag is noticeable.

That said, it's cool to try out single player games this way. I don't trust Google or anybody else to break the laws of physics and make this work better than PCs or consoles for multiplayer tho.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Mar-19-19 04:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "BUT WHEN WE PLAYING APEX"
In response to Reply # 1

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Mar-19-19 07:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I’ma be on! Gotta see what that Octane about."
In response to Reply # 2

-30-

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Mar-22-19 01:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "man message me and I'll hop on"
In response to Reply # 4

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Tue Mar-19-19 05:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Interesting"
In response to Reply # 1

I dig the convenience of it. I have a 4K LG set in my living room, a 45" vizio in my home office and a laptop. It'd be nice to game within that ecosystem like I do with YouTube TV and Chromecast. I used to be the guy who wanted the best quality DVD's for my home theater system. Now, I stream everything and don't bat an eye. Chances are that softer look you mentioned I wouldn't care about.

The latency on the other hand.

https://digife.com

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Mar-19-19 07:28 PM

5. "It’s dope for making a console out of your laptop"
In response to Reply # 3

Smaller screens also solve a lot of the softer image problems too.

On that 4K screen it might rear its ugly head tho.

-30-

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Thu Mar-21-19 05:10 PM

7. "me too and all of this is accurate"
In response to Reply # 1

>The image quality will typically be much softer than what you
>get on console, even if the max resolution is higher.
>
>You ever hook a retro console up to an HDTV with component
>cables? It looks like that. Also, the lag is noticeable.

i was assured the resolution was 1080p but i would have believed 720p and even then that might have been straining credulity. the lag was present but not enough to hamper my ability to play ac: odyssey. i wouldn't play a soulsborne/twitch shooter/fighting game on it though

>That said, it's cool to try out single player games this way.
>I don't trust Google or anybody else to break the laws of
>physics and make this work better than PCs or consoles for
>multiplayer tho.

it's going to be a great way to demo games for sure. probably worth the price of admission. you can "demo" games on steam with its generous refund policy but there is the download process and the refund process and it's all too time-intensive to be effective

this is also a fantastic option for people who want to play games but can't afford a new console or PC

Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Thu Mar-21-19 03:59 PM

6. "I'm using the Shadow streaming service"
In response to Reply # 0

Its pretty legit.
Mind you I'm on a gig internet connection and using a 4K iMac.
The lag is really only noticeable when you connect your controller through bluetooth instead of hard wired.
I've won matches of Apex Legends using this service,
you can play competitively but you definitely need a fast connection.
My resolution is the same as if I was running the app natively.
Its only a VM box so I don't see why the resolution would be decreased
I'm sure google is going to knock this out of the park, given that they will have more capacity and resources to pull this off.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Thu Jun-06-19 02:12 PM

9. "Watched today’s presentation. I’ll pass"
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure who the audience is for this.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 06:18 PM

10. "so i got the premier edition for free with the youtube premium offer"
In response to Reply # 0

i played some hitman, pretty smooth. i enjoyed it, no issues.

saw the promo for another free premier edition with a purchase of cyberpunk. i had more than plenty of google credit im not using for anything so i bought it. played it last night, again no issues. pretty fun.

got the email a bit ago for second the premier edition, coming in by the 17th.

the youtube premium offer is expired in the usa but the cyberpunk one is still live until supplies run out.

i think stadia will keep me from pulling the trigger on ps5 or series x.

not sure i will stay on pro every month but probably will for another month, wish i could pay for the subscription with google credit.

Lobby High-Tech topic #304398 Previous topic | Next topic