Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #304254

Subject: "Apex Legends, free new battle royale from Titanfall devs" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
13769 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 07:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Apex Legends, free new battle royale from Titanfall devs"

Since the other F2P BR options on PS4 haven't looked like my cup of tea this is my first experience with BR and I'm having a pretty good time! I suck complete shit and there's definitely a part of me that misses wall running, double jumping and mechs but otherwise this has all the tightness a Call of Duty/Respawn crew game is known for. I had one issue where the game lost my persistence and reset my level / forced me to replay the tutorial, but I didn't lose any of the skins or other cosmetics I'd unlocked which to me is the truly important thing.

I don't know if I'll be sticking with the game long term since online competitive FPS is just not my bag, but if you're into this kind of thing this seems like an upper tier one of those.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was skeptical When the news leaked
Feb 05th 2019
RE: I was skeptical When the news leaked
Feb 05th 2019
Hella fun. Can't compare it to Fortnite, PUBG, or BLOPS IIII
Feb 05th 2019
Got my first win last night. With randos, no mics
Feb 07th 2019
I still prefer PUBG but this is a step in a good direction
Feb 07th 2019
oh ike is gaming again
Feb 07th 2019
      hella right now. between this and RE2
Feb 07th 2019
           I haven't had time to try this out yet
Feb 08th 2019
My first BR experience...love it
Feb 12th 2019
how does overwatch punish you?
Feb 13th 2019
      from what I've heard**
Feb 13th 2019
      I wouldn't say that from playing either game.
Feb 18th 2019
      if you're in a large group in competitive mode
Feb 14th 2019
           this seems like not a real problem
Feb 18th 2019
           I mean...if you're good at apex, it literally highlights you
Feb 18th 2019
I like it... a lot.
Feb 17th 2019
PLAY WITH ME YOU COWARD
Feb 18th 2019

mrshow
Charter member
12544 posts
Tue Feb-05-19 04:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I was skeptical When the news leaked "
In response to Reply # 0

A surprise release Titanfall spinoff without the Titans and walll running? I thought EA must be doing it for tax reasons.

But I was very wrong. I played half a dozen matches and had a blast.

TAYREL713
Charter member
1106 posts
Tue Feb-05-19 06:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: I was skeptical When the news leaked "
In response to Reply # 1

Respawn says development was done and completed before their EA acquisition. Basically saying EA ain't have shit to do with this including how it's monetized. Makes total sense as I doubt EA would want to drop another shooter so close to Anthem but here we are.

stayskrunchyinmilk.com

Nintendo Network ID-TAYREL713
XBL-TAYREL713
PSN-TAYREL713
Steam-TAYREL713
3DS Friend Code-2294-4970-5921

IkeMoses
Charter member
70705 posts
Tue Feb-05-19 01:16 PM

3. "Hella fun. Can't compare it to Fortnite, PUBG, or BLOPS IIII"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-05-19 01:17 PM by IkeMoses

since I ain't play a single Battle Royale game before this. Only played a few matches, but my random squadmates carried me to a second place finish last night (I was the last survivor before the win too). I only got one kill tho...

The UI is mad busy and a little confusing. I can't even figure out how to drop ammo and gear for the teammates. haha

I'll probably bounce off this quick, because fighting games are the only multiplayer I got any attention span for. Still, I hope this funds the next legit Titanfall game. Would hate for the series to be just this.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70705 posts
Thu Feb-07-19 11:39 AM

4. "Got my first win last night. With randos, no mics"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-07-19 11:40 AM by IkeMoses

Just using the ping system.

I got carried again, but I was a medic so I got a couple revives, took out the kill leader, and snuck around to flank for the last kill.

This is my first battle royale game, but I think I caught the bug yo.

-30-

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4034 posts
Thu Feb-07-19 12:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I still prefer PUBG but this is a step in a good direction"
In response to Reply # 4

And as much as I enjoy PUBG I still don't like the fact that every company wants a Battle Royal game. I tried Fortnite and absolutely hated it because the building aspect of it made it feel so cheesy and directed towards children.

This game does have a really cool feel for it so I'll check it out a bit more. I do really like that they paid attention to the community and added very detailed pinging system so you don't have to talk to your team at all. My second game ever our squad ended up in second place do the ping communication having us on the same page. It was a lot to take in and I didn't really utilize my special abilities that much until the end but with a little time that'll get better also.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Rjcc
Charter member
89228 posts
Thu Feb-07-19 05:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "oh ike is gaming again"
In response to Reply # 4

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

IkeMoses
Charter member
70705 posts
Thu Feb-07-19 06:22 PM

7. "hella right now. between this and RE2"
In response to Reply # 6

(and my Street Fighter habit)

a nigga can't play for hours at a time like back in the day, but i play a little after work each night. i don't got enough time to fit in all the games i wanna play at the moment tho!

-30-

Rjcc
Charter member
89228 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 12:16 AM

9. "I haven't had time to try this out yet"
In response to Reply # 7

if it's good I might be able to get my wife and her brothers on it, we play overwatch now, but they're big Call of Duty fans so the respawn angle may work

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26521 posts
Tue Feb-12-19 12:45 PM

10. "My first BR experience...love it"
In response to Reply # 0

definitely more fun to squad with friends, and unlike Overwatch you don't get punished for it. Also enjoy the fact that the hero abilities/ultimates are useful but not overpowered, so they don't dictate each match.

================================

"Brownsville, never ran never will unless you strapped and I'm not fuck it I gotta peel, P!"

-Sean Price

Rjcc
Charter member
89228 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 01:32 AM

11. "how does overwatch punish you?"
In response to Reply # 10

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
13769 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 05:45 PM

12. "from what I've heard**"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed Feb-13-19 05:47 PM by Nodima

I've never played Overwatch, so there's that, but when I've heard the Giant Bomb or Game Informer guys comparing the two games, one thing that comes up is that Overwatch characters have a hard counter for each other whereas Apex's heroes are more about mastering their particular skills and learning when to apply them in scenarios rather than how to counter one character's skills with another's.

For a different comparison, Titanfall 2 would "punish" you at the Titan phase of the game if you had the Titan that fired rocket volleys and everyone you ran into was piloting the Titan with the shield that absorbed incoming fire and launched it back at the enemy.

Pathfinder is a mostly passive character on paper but he's not at any disadvantage head-to-head with any other character other than the basic way all characters are technically at a disadvantage to Bloodhound one on one assuming both players are equally kitted with equal skill.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Rjcc
Charter member
89228 posts
Mon Feb-18-19 12:33 AM

16. "I wouldn't say that from playing either game."
In response to Reply # 12

the abilities in apex aren't really strong enough to counter each other, it's just a very different type of game.

in overwatch even if someone is playing a character that is a "hard counter" it might mean you need to adjust your play style, but if your team works together you can still be effective.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26521 posts
Thu Feb-14-19 01:47 PM

13. "if you're in a large group in competitive mode"
In response to Reply # 11

the matchmaker often matches you against players with higher individual ranks to compensate for the perceived advantage of having superior communication/teamwork from being in a group. The vast majority of players who play competitive never group with more than one friend...and in solo queue or duo matches, the game plays completely different.

That's the gist of it anyway...pretty much every Overwatch content creator on youtube (Your Overwatch, Unit Lost, etc) has made videos breaking the topic down further.

================================

"Brownsville, never ran never will unless you strapped and I'm not fuck it I gotta peel, P!"

-Sean Price

Rjcc
Charter member
89228 posts
Mon Feb-18-19 12:32 AM

15. "this seems like not a real problem"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon Feb-18-19 12:35 AM by Rjcc

it's...the kind of thing people whine about on youtube.

oh word, there's a conspiracy about why it's hard for you to climb in rank that's keeping you down?

idk man, the point of competitive is supposed to be playing the best players in serious matches.

Rjcc
Charter member
89228 posts
Mon Feb-18-19 01:08 AM

18. "I mean...if you're good at apex, it literally highlights you"
In response to Reply # 13

for all of the other players to hunt down and gives them a bonus for killing you.

ne_atl
Charter member
18795 posts
Sun Feb-17-19 03:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I like it... a lot. "
In response to Reply # 0

I need to find more playin time.

Rjcc
Charter member
89228 posts
Mon Feb-18-19 12:35 AM

17. "PLAY WITH ME YOU COWARD"
In response to Reply # 14

Lobby High-Tech topic #304254 Previous topic | Next topic