Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303891

Subject: "So how's that game? (Fall/Winter 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 12:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"So how's that game? (Fall/Winter 2018)"

Seeing how posts are few and far between here

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
How's Madden this year?
Sep 17th 2018
mostly the same but better
Sep 17th 2018
      RE: mostly the same but better
Sep 17th 2018
How's 2k?
Sep 17th 2018
I would really love to hear how it plays vs. CPU
Sep 17th 2018
i've moved to Live...
Sep 18th 2018
Shadow of the Tomb Raider?
Sep 17th 2018
Auto-cop status if you're a fan of the prior two games.
Sep 18th 2018
      I don't know. Rise wasn't as good as Tomb Raider 2013.
Sep 18th 2018
           Granted, my memory of the prior two games is mostly gone
Sep 21st 2018
COD Black Ops 4
Oct 18th 2018
Lots of classic maps at launch (Firing Range, Jungle etc...)
Oct 24th 2018
      gonna add it to my xmas list
Oct 24th 2018
Dragon Quest 11 is really damn good.
Oct 18th 2018
i really dig the art style, but i’m intimidated by jrpg lengths
Oct 21st 2018
It's definitely long, and I'm noticing it.
Oct 21st 2018
      FF15 wasn't that long
Oct 22nd 2018
           There are some decent deals on the Royal Edition sometimes lately
Oct 25th 2018
i can't get past the awful music
Oct 24th 2018
warriors orochi 4
Oct 24th 2018

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 12:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "How's Madden this year?"
In response to Reply # 0

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 02:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "mostly the same but better"
In response to Reply # 1

• ball carrier running has been changed slightly with the intent to give the user more control but it feels a little twitchy and chaotic

• the animations look a little more natural but there is still some silly shit that happens during replays

• player upgrading in franchise mode has been streamlined

• it's on PC. it looks pretty good at high resolutions and has decent graphics options

• i /think/ everything else is about the same. the menus are still slow for no reason. the AI still "cheats" when the player has pulled off too many successful plays. corner and drag routes are still broken. i don't think i would buy this game but i'm willing to pay for EA Access for a month or so to check out madden and fifa

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 03:42 PM

5. "RE: mostly the same but better"
In response to Reply # 4

I'll wait then

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 12:46 PM

2. "How's 2k?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 07:43 PM

6. "I would really love to hear how it plays vs. CPU"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Sep-17-18 07:44 PM by Nodima

I watched a couple of the full game videos from the major websites but those are never really indicative of how the game plays for longtime players IMO. It's a shame reviews for all sports games have skewed so heavily in favor of the career modes, all I want to know still is how new sports games compare to sports games from the mid-2000s lol.

I will say MLB The Show fully converted me to the card collecting scheme and I hate that NBA 2K's mode is so damn craven and antagonistic to the player (specifically, how almost every card is cosmetic in some way and players require contracts to use them). This is the first year I haven't pre-ordered a 2K since I got into the series with 2K5, and if the CPU gameplay is essentially the same as last year's I think I'll be good, at least until a sale.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 01:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "i've moved to Live... "
In response to Reply # 2

...it's improved so much the past few years ...just feels like a better game to me now ...i dont mess with the story mode stuff though

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 12:47 PM

3. "Shadow of the Tomb Raider?"
In response to Reply # 0

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 01:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Auto-cop status if you're a fan of the prior two games."
In response to Reply # 3

It's a definite upgrade from the prior two upgrades, at least from what I remember playing back then.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I don't know. Rise wasn't as good as Tomb Raider 2013."
In response to Reply # 8

This one seems better than Rise, but reviews are suggesting the first one is still the best joint.

It seems like a must get if you're into seeing the conclusion of the story, though.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Fri Sep-21-18 08:19 AM

10. "Granted, my memory of the prior two games is mostly gone"
In response to Reply # 9

but this game feels a lot more seamless than the prior two.

I should note that I'm about 35% or so through the game on Normal level of difficulty and haven't done any of the skill upgrades yet, so I suppose it could be argued the game is fairly easy? Without spoiling things too much, there was one portion of the game where I struggled mightily that involved heavy gun shooting. I remember Lara being weak in terms of shooting off guns from the prior two games, so I can't get too upset with the gun-play in this one being somewhat off.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Thu Oct-18-18 10:18 AM

11. "COD Black Ops 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Heard they actually pulled off the Battle Royale - I jumped back in with last years but didn't stick with it. Might just wait and be a Christmas noob if I do get it.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed Oct-24-18 10:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "Lots of classic maps at launch (Firing Range, Jungle etc...)"
In response to Reply # 11

...the new maps are fun as well ...to me the game plays like BlackOps2 ...i havent messed with the new modes though, still playing Dom and TDM mostly

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Wed Oct-24-18 03:15 PM

17. "gonna add it to my xmas list"
In response to Reply # 16

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Thu Oct-18-18 07:08 PM

12. "Dragon Quest 11 is really damn good. "
In response to Reply # 0

The last major DQ game that people would remember around here was number 8 (#9 was DS exclusive, #10 wasn't released in the US). People really liked #8 around here.

I think most people would say #11 has lost a bit of the charm of some of the past games. They switched over to Unreal Engine, and it shows for better and for worse. It's gorgeous, but the controls are occasionally a little clunky.

But the story and game mechanics are really great. I'm just over 100 hours into it and still hungry for more (and not quite done with the main story!).

If you're into old-fashioned Japanese-style RPG's, and not turned off by some cartoonishness (and some dated character tropes that I wish they'd grow out of), then I highly recommend it.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sun Oct-21-18 12:28 AM

13. "i really dig the art style, but i’m intimidated by jrpg lengths"
In response to Reply # 12

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Sun Oct-21-18 07:58 AM

14. "It's definitely long, and I'm noticing it."
In response to Reply # 13

It's like binge-watching three TV series in a row. I had time for that kinda thing in college, but I feel like I should be getting more work done nowadays.

I never played FF15 for precisely that reason. But I've been a DQ obsessive ever since the Nintendo Power days, so I found the time for this one, and I'm glad.

But they clearly know their fanbase will be playing more casually nowadays. Every time you load a game it starts with a recap of the story so far. And they've filled out an old system where you could talk with your own party members and they could remind you what you're working on. I went away for a couple weeks during a long vacation, and I was able to jump right back into it.

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 09:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "FF15 wasn't that long"
In response to Reply # 14

It honestly felt like one of the shorter games in the series, and as long as you don't get wrapped up in too many meaningless side quest you'll be fine. I was doing a lot of them until I realized I wasn't getting much out of them. After that I just stuck to the main quest and did the side ones I felt were important or could help contribute to the story.

I hear they fixed some issues with Chapter 13 which to me was a massive letdown in the game and really had me wanting to just finish it at that point. Now might be a good time to go through it since you don't have to deal with that mess.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Thu Oct-25-18 08:23 AM

20. "There are some decent deals on the Royal Edition sometimes lately"
In response to Reply # 15

which will have all the DLCs for each other character in your party that should make the whole game feel more complete I think. I still haven't committed to getting it yet though because I'm not ready to play through it all a second time.

---------------------
Obviously White

bearfield
8049 posts
Wed Oct-24-18 04:27 PM

18. "i can't get past the awful music"
In response to Reply # 12

it might end up being a podcast game. the combat is pretty basic and repetitive but at least the battles are snappy. it's a wonderful looking game on PC, especially with the enhancements suggested on pcgamingwiki. there doesn't seem to be much depth to the systems and mechanics but it's a DQ game so that's fine

bearfield
8049 posts
Wed Oct-24-18 04:33 PM

19. "warriors orochi 4"
In response to Reply # 0

this might be the pinnacle of the musou genre. 170 characters, all with their own series of several (8+) combos, unique musou (super) attacks, magic attacks, and unique super magic attacks. this game has the scale and bombast that i've been wanting from musou games since i played ninety-nine nights on xbox 360 forever ago. generating 2000 hit combos then unleashing a screen clearing attack to wipe out enemy officers and soldiers en masse feels and looks astounding. there is a lot of depth with the character customization and the interaction and flow of the attack sequences, musou attacks, and magic. it's almost like omega force actually tried with this game. i'm having a blast playing it

Lobby High-Tech topic #303891 Previous topic | Next topic