Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303786

Subject: "Dead Cells (PC/XB1/PS4)" Previous topic | Next topic
LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
35645 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 12:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dead Cells (PC/XB1/PS4)"
Fri Aug-10-18 12:50 PM by LeroyBumpkin

I love Metroid-Vania games like this.

I've devoured almost all of the preview videos of this game on YouTube.
My concern...the perma-death aspect of the game.
There are no check points, so essentially when you die (which is a lot),
you go back to the beginning.
The comment section has been full of people complaining about it.

The offset (from what I've been hearing in the reviews) is that
there are multiple ways to play the game so you can go different routes.
Or, you need to go through it multiple times to obtain certain weapons, items, etc.

Thoughts?

Dead Cells Review (Gamespot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbfxPptEU6M

Dead Cells Is An Instant Classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trTQQljBEok

@dseals | @digife
https://digife.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's very good. been playing for a few weeks
Aug 10th 2018
Definitely gonna cop.
Aug 11th 2018
      RE: Definitely gonna cop.
Aug 11th 2018
My GOTY so far
Aug 29th 2018
RE: Dead Cells (PC/XB1/PS4)
Sep 06th 2018
One of my fav videogame experiences in a minute
Sep 06th 2018
Just got this on PS4
Sep 25th 2018

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
7450 posts
Fri Aug-10-18 03:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it's very good. been playing for a few weeks"
In response to Reply # 0

the "flow state" of the game is not hard to achieve and it feels great when it's active. there is a lot of variety to the builds you can create and it seems like most weapons and powers are effective in their own right or in combination with other weapons, powers, and mutations. the controls are top notch (even though the double jump is trash and misleading) which facilitates getting into that flow state. the level design is fantastic. each area ("biome") feels discrete from the others, most of them having unique mechanics and layouts, i.e. the clock tower being a mostly vertical affair, as opposed to more horizontal levels like the ramparts and promenade of the condemned. the progression system is well done, letting the player organically unlock new weapons, powers, and biomes by simply getting better at the game. great stuff. people should play this game

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
35645 posts
Sat Aug-11-18 10:41 AM

2. "Definitely gonna cop."
In response to Reply # 1

The weapons system and level design hit me first.
I just didn't understand the mechanics of the blueprints
and how you progress through the game.

But yeah, the overall consensus is that the game is amazing.

@dseals | @digife
https://digife.com

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
7450 posts
Sat Aug-11-18 02:22 PM

3. "RE: Definitely gonna cop."
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Aug-11-18 02:25 PM by bearfield

>The weapons system and level design hit me first.
>I just didn't understand the mechanics of the blueprints
>and how you progress through the game.

it seems like you have to prove that you have a good grip on the movement and combat before the game reveals its depth. it took me longer than expected to grasp everything but once i did the blueprints and runes started flowing in and the game really started to open up. my impression is that in order to have a successful run you need to acquire the most powerful weapon/power/mutation combination as quickly as possible, then run through the biomes 1- or 2-shotting everything and picking up as many resources as you want/need at a rapid pace so you can unlock the timed doors for more resources

look for complementary attributes on weapons. i think one of the earliest blueprints you can get is the assassin's dagger, which inflicts critical hits when you're behind an enemy. you can pair the dagger with a freezing weapon like the ice bow or frost blast to freeze the enemy while you roll behind it for some crits. you can also re-roll the attributes on the dagger. it's possible to get an attribute on the dagger that does +175% damage to frozen enemies or +15% backstab damage, or +20% critical hit damage

there are also weapons and powers that can stack damaging status effects on enemies, put enemies into a state for constant critical attacks, or draw enemies into one concentrated area so you can drop big area of effect attacks on them. there are a lot of possibilities for builds and the game encourages experimentation and re-rolling attributes until a powerful combination is achieved. just keep making runs and you'll unlock more and more ways to facilitate getting that perfect combination that lets you cut through enemies and bosses

https://imgur.com/e4O6kby

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39829 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 11:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "My GOTY so far"
In response to Reply # 0

Dunno how many hours I put into it already but it's a lot.

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126179 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Dead Cells (PC/XB1/PS4)"
In response to Reply # 0

A few weeks in on the Switch.

It's really fun but I burn out on it pretty quickly. I'm noticing that I need more narrative to drive me to continue games nowadays. But it's a good game to pick up, play for an hour or so and put away and feel like I made a lil progress.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 02:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "One of my fav videogame experiences in a minute"
In response to Reply # 0

I figured it was gonna be a 2D Soul’s game….punishingly hard until you ‘git gud’, but I was surprised at how breazy it was. When I get a bad ‘roll’ as far as gear is concerned I just make it work. And since death is never random or cheap I don’t get the same controller destroying urge. I also appreciate the controls; many of the 16 bit homages feel weird/floaty, this is perfect.

For instance In a session I was maybe 60% through the game, had godly weapon combinations and was pretty sure the run was good enough to get a crack at the last boss. Cleared everything out and decided to double back and knowingly hit a cursed chest i skilled on the way out...50% sure the next level was a boss level. So when the gate closed and the boss music came on, all I could do was laugh and try to avoid the inevitable one hit as long as I could, lol.

I get PI’s point above on the lack of story but in contrast to other games that try hard and fail miserably (Vanilla Destiny 2, im talking to you) ill take the in-jokes and breezy vibe to everything. It’s a nice little palate cleanser after playing something more ‘hardcore’.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44551 posts
Tue Sep-25-18 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Just got this on PS4"
In response to Reply # 0

It's nice and painful. Just how I like my games.

---
http://www.facebook.com/kuroverse
http://www.youtube.com/user/thespikespeigel
@kuroverse
PSN: Jetblack
---
Stay +.
Lone ABQ OKP. I am the danger.
---

Lobby High-Tech topic #303786 Previous topic | Next topic