Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #302944

Subject: "Assassin's Creed: Origins" Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Oct-31-17 12:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Assassin's Creed: Origins"

Quite possibly a near perfect game. Beautifully rendered, great rpg elements woven into it.

MASSIVE game world of ancient Egypt, beautifully done cities and countryside. Combat is adaptable according to what you open up on your skill tree, but there is an emphasis on archery given the occupation of the character.

No multiplayer. But I think Ubisoft did the damn thing with this one. They found the key. Don't flood the market anymore, take time to truly innovate with successive games. AC:Origins is really a great game and I know I've barely scratched the surface.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I absolutely love the setting and art. (spoilers for the first 5 hours)
Oct 31st 2017
I think it'll be successful, but I hope they understand what it means.
Oct 31st 2017
i will pick this up in ~6 months when it's heavily discounted
Nov 01st 2017
25 hours in and I've turned around. This is the best AC game.
Nov 09th 2017
good to hear
Nov 13th 2017
ok I thought I was fucked up bc I started and had no idea what is
Nov 13th 2017
Okay Ike imma get it
Nov 27th 2017
I’m struggling with the shoulder button combat.
Nov 13th 2017
It gets less awkward with practice, but it never gets great
Nov 13th 2017
This is my issue.
Nov 14th 2017
It got me too, but I'm starting to really dig it. It's deeper than you t...
Nov 14th 2017
Worst is the dumb photo feature being triggered
Nov 16th 2017
how is the loot in this game?
Nov 14th 2017
RE: how is the loot in this game?
Nov 14th 2017
I really like this (so far)
Nov 27th 2017
Just beat it over the weekend. Great journey. Even replayable.
Nov 28th 2017
Slight spoiler
Nov 30th 2017
      Good Lord, right?
Nov 30th 2017
      the precursor storyline has always been the weakest part of AC
Nov 30th 2017

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Oct-31-17 02:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I absolutely love the setting and art. (spoilers for the first 5 hours)"
In response to Reply # 0

I told my girl to smack me if I start saying hotep things.

I don't love the flashback storytelling, though. The game starts off very disjointed and incoherent. It feels mad amateurish. Which is a shame because the writing and acting is decent.

They've done great things with streamlining movement and stealth. The game has some of the best open world architecture ever too. Lots of nooks and crannies to climb on and hide in.

The combat is just as gimmicky as ever. For years it's been Arkham-lite. Now it's Souls-lite. It's clunky. I'm going to avoid melee as much as I can and stick to bows and the hidden blade (whenever I get that...I'm four hours in and still no hidden blade, yo). I wish they would look at Mark of the Ninja and limit open combat options altogether and really encourage stealth, but that's not going to happen.

I appreciate the return of outside the Animus exploring. The dream of modern day Assassin's is still alive.

All in all this is a good AC game. So far, it's probably my 4th favorite in the series. Ahead of Black Flag, but behind Syndicate (Syndicate is underrated). I love AC games, though. I'm just not sure if it's going to turn anybody around on the series. I'd like for them to keep spreading out releases and letting the franchise breathe like this.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Tue Oct-31-17 05:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I think it'll be successful, but I hope they understand what it means."
In response to Reply # 0

>No multiplayer. But I think Ubisoft did the damn thing with
>this one. They found the key. Don't flood the market anymore,
>take time to truly innovate with successive games. AC:Origins
>is really a great game and I know I've barely scratched the
>surface.

Like, don't go "Oh SHIT, we're back on top!" and start back with the annual releases. Similar to how I don't want these movie companies thinking that R-rated comic book movies are successful because they're R-rated/raunchy. Understand what people enjoy about these things, then take time to develop another one.

I've downloaded this, but haven't started. I traded some old games to get the season pass stuff.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8048 posts
Wed Nov-01-17 04:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i will pick this up in ~6 months when it's heavily discounted"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-01-17 04:33 PM by bearfield

and solely for the exploration/education/please-don't-make-me-actually-engage-with-these-washed-and/or-off-brand-game-mechanics mode

visually this game looks stunning and i keep reading how accurately it represents egypt. all i want to do is walk around and look at stuff and maybe get a popup about how cleopatra was probably macedonian

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 06:40 PM

4. "25 hours in and I've turned around. This is the best AC game."
In response to Reply # 0

It starts off really rough.

The storytelling is choppy up front and the combat requires a lot of ability upgrades to feel good.

But after about ten hours the game settles into a groove and the moment to moment experience of playing it is sublime (if you dig open world third person action adventures).

It holds up next to BOTW and Horizon too, in terms of moving the genre forward. Lots of smart environmental interactivity and quality of life mechanics were introduced this time around. It's not better than those two games, but it's not outclassed by them either.

-30-

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 11:05 AM

5. "good to hear"
In response to Reply # 4

i really love ac games, but def felt the burnout. i think bf was the last game i played all the way through. good to hear this one is a return to form, if you will.

just not sure when i'll get a chance to play. currently overseas working and i haven't found time for any gaming in the last 18 months.

>It starts off really rough.
>
>The storytelling is choppy up front and the combat requires a
>lot of ability upgrades to feel good.
>
>But after about ten hours the game settles into a groove and
>the moment to moment experience of playing it is sublime (if
>you dig open world third person action adventures).
>
>It holds up next to BOTW and Horizon too, in terms of moving
>the genre forward. Lots of smart environmental interactivity
>and quality of life mechanics were introduced this time
>around. It's not better than those two games, but it's not
>outclassed by them either.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Rjcc
Charter member
94955 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 10:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "ok I thought I was fucked up bc I started and had no idea what is"
In response to Reply # 4

happening

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 03:51 PM

15. "Okay Ike imma get it"
In response to Reply # 4

I still miss Desmond tho.

JFrost1117
23876 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 10:01 PM

6. "I’m struggling with the shoulder button combat."
In response to Reply # 0

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 10:53 PM

8. "It gets less awkward with practice, but it never gets great"
In response to Reply # 6

In my opinion, it's the weakest part of the game's mechanics.

The dodge and the parry don't turn the tables the way they should. I'll parry or do a well timed dodge and counter attack, but despite having the right timing I'll be just out of range to connect.

It feels sloppy.

This is why I stick to jumping in and out of the shadows with the hidden blade most of the time.

-30-

JFrost1117
23876 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 01:54 AM

9. "This is my issue."
In response to Reply # 8

I'll parry or do a well timed dodge and counter
>attack, but despite having the right timing I'll be just out
>of range to connect.

I do it in the Marvel "Contest of Champions" app sometimes, too. I'll dash so far out the way, and the dude recovers and rocks my shit.

WarriorPoet415
17895 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 01:45 PM

10. "It got me too, but I'm starting to really dig it. It's deeper than you t..."
In response to Reply # 6
Tue Nov-14-17 01:48 PM by WarriorPoet415

I like the fact that they changed the mechanics, and you just can't flow from one guy to the next. In AC 2, fighting 10 dudes at once could get boring.

There are no chains here necessarily, and not all types of attacks can be parried or blocked the same way. Especially when looking at the level of the enemy.

Plus you have to pay attention to your shield values. Some shields offer good protection against fire or projectiles, but give you little to no melee protection. Pay attention to your shield characteristics.

That and brush up on ya dodge button and lock on enemy skills. sometimes locking on an enemy and dodging behind them works way better than trying to time a parry against an enemy that doesn't have any parry-able attacks (base commanders, pikemen)

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Nov-16-17 08:31 AM

13. "Worst is the dumb photo feature being triggered"
In response to Reply # 6

In the middle of a damn Phalaxys fight. Who cares about taking photos of the game?

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8048 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 03:14 PM

11. "how is the loot in this game?"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm not asking to be sold on this game (impossible) but i am interested in people's opinions on inserting arpg loot into games/genres that previously did not have it. personally i think loot has no place in games like AC:O or nioh but people seem to be responding well to it

does the loot make the game better? does it affect the combat in a positive way? do you find yourself gravitating to numbers rather than weapons? do you think you'll eventually be able to brute force your way through encounters, relying on loot numbers, rather than engaging with the combat mechanics?

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 03:55 PM

12. "RE: how is the loot in this game?"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Nov-14-17 03:59 PM by IkeMoses

>does the loot make the game better?

nope.

>does it affect the combat in a positive way?

nope. i much prefer having really unique weapons you can upgrade and get attached to, instead of generic, disposable weapons with little subtleties separating them.

>do you find yourself gravitating to
>numbers rather than weapons?

yes and no. there are a couple things to consider beyond just the raw numbers. the first is the weapon type. i'll stick with a balanced sword a couple levels lower than some dual blades (which are quick but have no range and little power). status effects are another consideration. i might get a new sniper bow with higher numbers, but if my current is a legendary that sets people on fire i'll rock with it a little longer. so it depends.

>do you think you'll eventually
>be able to brute force your way through encounters, relying on
>loot numbers, rather than engaging with the combat mechanics?

not really. no matter how powerful your weapons are, fighting a half dozen dudes at or around your level is a quick way to die. the AI is pretty good at not just standing around and mixing you up. the lower level grunts will back off and shoot arrows at you while the brutes are in your face with moves you can't block. one on one you can just LeBron your way through anybody (except certain bosses), but most encounters aren't one on one unless you ninja it.

-30-

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 03:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I really like this (so far)"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't usually mess with AC games - only played 1 & 2 and the first level of the one with the ships because it was free.

This world is huge and looks dope as hell on the screen. I can't get the parrying down either so I just bow and arrow and sneak up from behind people to murk people.

WarriorPoet415
17895 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 10:56 AM

16. "Just beat it over the weekend. Great journey. Even replayable. "
In response to Reply # 0

Which I don't say about many AC games, but if I just stuck to the main quest, I'd give this another go around.

Love the fact that it's not such an empty open world. Even after the completion of the main quest, I still have a ton of side quests and treasure hunts and "boss" fights I can do for the achievements.

One of the best in the series. Probably my second favorite behind Brotherhood.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Nov-30-17 08:28 AM

17. "Slight spoiler"
In response to Reply # 16

If you haven't done all the ancient machine tombs yet, don't click this link, but it was pretty disappointing when they apparently included this guy's opinions to craft the backstory of the Egyptian world:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/frRcD7rlvUA/hqdefault.jpg

WarriorPoet415
17895 posts
Thu Nov-30-17 11:00 AM

18. "Good Lord, right? "
In response to Reply # 17

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Nov-30-17 03:38 PM

19. "the precursor storyline has always been the weakest part of AC"
In response to Reply # 17

-30-

Lobby High-Tech topic #302944 Previous topic | Next topic