Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #302458

Subject: "USB-C: Who's got anything that actually uses it?" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Sat Jun-24-17 07:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"USB-C: Who's got anything that actually uses it?"

So , I got the new 2017 MacBook Pro 15" with 4 USB-C ports (3 really because one is needed for charging.)

I have ZERO things that have USB-C connectivity.

The USB-C hub market/market of dongles is pretty bad right now.

Looking for connectivity options I see Apple doesn't really offer much - and never does Dell or Google.

I ended up buying a USB 3 port hub + ethernet adaptor from Amazon Basics, and a USB-C to display pot cable from Cable matters which is something Apple does not offer and Dell wants $32 for.

Questions?
Why aren't there more things using USB-C?

Where are the good USB-C hubs/dongles at? There's either a technical problem - or this is proof that capitalism+innovation don't really work perfectly!

Why when something comes out without USB-C do people complain - I can't think of anything that requires it yet.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
why are you looking for a hub if you don't have any devices?
Jun 25th 2017
My cell phone is USB-C
Jun 26th 2017
Using a Google Pixel, so same. n/m
Jun 26th 2017
Nintendo Switch, dock station for my mac and work comp have one
Jun 27th 2017
Just phones. No computer items that use it.
Jun 28th 2017
Just the Switch
Jun 30th 2017
There's plenty of uses for it
Jul 03rd 2017
I got an LG V20 and it uses a USB type.C port.
Aug 06th 2017

Rjcc
Charter member
94958 posts
Sun Jun-25-17 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "why are you looking for a hub if you don't have any devices?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jun-25-17 06:16 PM by Rjcc

on the one hand you're upset about nameless other people complaining when "something" doesn't come out with USB-C, but on the other you're just creating a search for something that you don't need and then complaining when you don't find it?

I don't know who needs a USB hub of any kind these days

if you're trying to use your laptop as a desktop, many of the high-end monitors have hubs built in.

as far as why people want USB-C, it's not because "oh my god the world doesn't work without it" it's because the more things that use it, the fewer other cables and ports you need.

glad I could help!

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Jun-26-17 04:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "My cell phone is USB-C"
In response to Reply # 0

It's becoming more popular. It's not a necessity, but it does make live easier. And the plug doesn't have a up or down side, so it doesn't matter how you plug it in.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Mon Jun-26-17 07:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Using a Google Pixel, so same. n/m"
In response to Reply # 2

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Jun-27-17 10:04 AM

4. "Nintendo Switch, dock station for my mac and work comp have one"
In response to Reply # 0

about it

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 05:24 PM

5. "Just phones. No computer items that use it."
In response to Reply # 0

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Fri Jun-30-17 03:43 PM

6. "Just the Switch"
In response to Reply # 0

I like that there is no wrong side for it and wish more things used it.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28841 posts
Mon Jul-03-17 09:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "There's plenty of uses for it"
In response to Reply # 0

>Questions?
>Why aren't there more things using USB-C?

The spec is relatively new and Intel just dropped fees for using it in devices. Intel updates the spec far too quickly is another reason.

>
>Where are the good USB-C hubs/dongles at? There's either a
>technical problem - or this is proof that
>capitalism+innovation don't really work perfectly!

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Thunderbolt-Pass-Through-Charging/dp/B06XRVX3XM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1499091518&sr=8-7&keywords=usb-c+dongle

Monitors:

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-i1601fwux-Extremely-Portable-1920x1080/dp/B06Y8SSQG5/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1499090231&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+-c+powered+monitor&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6570747011

https://www.imore.com/best-usb-c-monitors-mac-so-far

-----

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Charging-Delivery-Specific-Thunderbolt/dp/B01FKTZLBS/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499090084&sr=1-6&keywords=usb+-c+monitor

There are headphones, upcoming speakers, a Samsung hard drive you can buy right now, and Samsung Dex uses USB -C as well. VR headsets use USB -C.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Sun Aug-06-17 12:57 AM

8. "I got an LG V20 and it uses a USB type.C port."
In response to Reply # 0

Because of school, I now have a MacBook Pro, so there's another device with it.

Since 1976

Lobby High-Tech topic #302458 Previous topic | Next topic