Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #301841

Subject: "Safe to say the XBox One is getting mopped?" Previous topic | Next topic
DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 04:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Safe to say the XBox One is getting mopped?"

I'm a loyal Xbox fanboy. The last Playstation I owned was the PS2, and even that was after the PS3 had dropped.

My main sticking point with the Xbox was that the controller always felt better to me...my hands aren't small and the controller always felt intuitive to me. I hated having two different bumpers instead of a bumper and a trigger.

Anyway...I'm about at the point of upgrading consoles...and I naturally was preparing for the Xbox One S or whatever...

But there...are....NO...games.

Nioh? Horizon? None of that shit.

I am not a FPS person (not with guns, at least), so most of my games would have to be fantasy shit (Think Oblivion and to a lesser degree, Mass Effect) or side scrolling beat em ups.

Why is every game I want a PS4 exclusive?

Y'all let me know...and if anybody actually went the Xbox route, do you regret it? I was trying to parlay my Live membership but it's just not looking good right now.

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
How important is having a media hub to you?
Feb 23rd 2017
I think it's a matter of preference nowadays on the controller
Feb 24th 2017
      Yeah the ergonomics are way better on the DS4.
Feb 24th 2017
huh? If all you name are PS4 exclusives, then I guess so?
Feb 23rd 2017
did you even read what i posted, b?
Feb 24th 2017
      did you read what I posted?
Feb 24th 2017
xone is definitely lacking in exclusives
Feb 24th 2017
Exactly
Feb 24th 2017
      Appreciate both of y'all's responses
Feb 24th 2017
           And xbox is coming out with a newer system soon anyway, right?
Feb 24th 2017
It's a brutal couple weeks or so for Xbone
Feb 24th 2017
It feels especially bad right now because Japan is beasting
Feb 28th 2017

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 05:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "How important is having a media hub to you?"
In response to Reply # 0

X1 is far superior in that respect. But if (those) games matter more to you, then get a PS4.

Also the X1 controller is still superior but that gap has definitely narrowed.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 09:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I think it's a matter of preference nowadays on the controller"
In response to Reply # 1

>Also the X1 controller is still superior but that gap has
>definitely narrowed.

Ive been playing my PS4 exclusively for the past year and recently when I switched back it was awkward as hell on FPS's. How much of an ergonomic improvement the DS4 is underrated...I tried playing Max Payne 3 a week ago after a John Wick high and it felt almost uncontrollable.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 10:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Yeah the ergonomics are way better on the DS4."
In response to Reply # 5

I don't have huge hands but I have long fingers so whenever I played older PS generations I'd always cramp after a few hours of playing. Making it bigger has been a huge plus and I'm a big fan of the center touch button.

That said, asymmetrical sticks, the better triggers and (for me) better shape are why I still prefer the X1 controller. It's definitely close though and I have no (real) complaints about the DS4.

My main gripe with it honestly is that since my PS4 is in the bedroom, I often put the controller on the bed, causing inadvertent trigger presses. I don't like how it doesn't have a guard for the triggers but that's extremely minor.

Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 06:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "huh? If all you name are PS4 exclusives, then I guess so?"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

DVS
19730 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 12:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "did you even read what i posted, b?"
In response to Reply # 2

Xbox One is not getting any quality exclusives unless you like FPS or Racing games.

Every game EYE want to play is a PS4 exclusive.

If you know any Xbox One games not named Mass Effect Andromeda I'd be excited about, by all means nigga. Lemme know.

D

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 02:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "did you read what I posted?"
In response to Reply # 7

If the only games you want to play are only on PS4, then get a PS4.

I'd rather play Forza horizon than any of the shit you named, but that's me.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 01:02 AM

3. "xone is definitely lacking in exclusives"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-24-17 01:12 AM by bearfield

only a few MS exclusives haven't made their way to PC if i'm not mistaken. sunset overdrive and killer instinct? are there more?

it seems like it's the worst platform for 3rd party games as it's almost always the one system running at a reduced resolution (and not by much, maybe 900p vs PS4's 1080p) on digital foundry comparison videos

but the backwards compatibility function is huge. i'm considering picking up an s exclusively for my current and future 360 games collection

and it's the best media hub if you don't have a PC, partly because the ps4 is terrible at being a media hub (but great at being a video game system). if i didn't have a pc i'd have a xone and would probably be thinking about a scorpio

it has the best console online service so it probably pulls more sales for MP-focused 3rd party games (CoD, battlefront/field, fifa/madden/2k(?)). i believe i remember seeing some report that they had somewhat narrowed the units sold through/shipped lead that ps4 had established

i think they're doing fine. they're just getting crushed in the exclusivity department for a small but growing subset of gamers, i.e. PC gamers that also want/have a console

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 07:08 AM

4. "Exactly"
In response to Reply # 3

There was a time that my PS4 collected dust. Since the start of this year though I've been all over it. Resident Evil 7 (not exclusive but exclusive for VR), Nioh, and now Horizon. They're killing it with exclusives.

Xbox will prob always have the better online functionality. As an owner of each system since their starts this has always been the case. The backwards compatibility thing is a major plus. No need to spend extra money on games you already own. No need to have two systems from the same company hooked up to your tv.

And as a media hub xbox one is amazing. Other than the PS4 its really the only thing I need hooked up to my tv. It does everything, and most of the time the apps run way better on xb1 than on PS4.

Really just goes for preference. If you would have asked me two years or even over a month ago I would have said Xbox, if you ask me now I'll save PS4. Since the PS3 Playstation does seem like it has a way of gaining a ton of moment later on as opposed to launch. I expect a lot more from them from this point forward.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

DVS
19730 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 12:43 PM

8. "Appreciate both of y'all's responses"
In response to Reply # 4

My Media Hub situation isn't THAT critical.

I use Hulu, Netflix, Crunchyroll on the 360 because they work so sell. That being said, I CAN use my Android Box or my Smart TV apps, but they are generally a bit slower and the control is nowhere near as good.

I've been an Xbox guy for so long, it's just hard to let go. My Xbox Live account has been giving me Free Games for a while, so they are just sitting their waiting for me to get an Xbox One....

...if I bring two consoles into my home, my wife is going to kill me.

D

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 03:01 PM

10. "And xbox is coming out with a newer system soon anyway, right?"
In response to Reply # 8

The scorpion, or whatever its code named.

Not exactly sure when it'll drop, but lets just say its this or even next holiday. No need to get the Xbox One now just to have something else even bigger and better come out.

If you want all those exclusives then go PS4. I'm an xbox head but man PS4 is delivering like a mug right now.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 04:30 PM

11. "It's a brutal couple weeks or so for Xbone"
In response to Reply # 0

-PS4 releases two 1st party exclusive GOTY contenders (Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn) in a 3 week span of time.

-Nintendo launches Switch with a new Zelda

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 01:59 PM

12. "It feels especially bad right now because Japan is beasting"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-28-17 02:28 PM by chillinCHiEF

and Xbox is not getting AAA third party Japanese games (Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Nioh) because they've done so poorly there and doesn't have the AAA first party investments in Japanese studios that are paying off for their competition (Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Zelda BotW).

Heck, their first party stuff outside the big three of Forza, Halo, and Gears has been pretty dismal this generation. All those high profile cancellations haven't helped, either. It seems like MS had great initial success with the 360 and slowly but surely came to rely almost exclusively on third parties to carry them. In the tail end of the PS3/360/Wii generation, PS3 was getting all the cool exclusives like Last of Us where 360 was doing well with better versions of games like Dark Souls and Skyrim. Letting third parties take the lead isn't bad per se, but when your box isn't the best place to actually play those games because it's underpowered, well, what are you really offering?

As an owner of a PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and (come Friday) a Switch, I'd definitely like to see some more reasons to justify my xbone sticking around. Also, just for the general health of the industry, things are better when MS is a strong competitor to Sony. I don't think PS4 would have been nearly as good as it has been if Sony wasn't trying to make sure MS didn't have the kind of success they did with the 360.

Lobby High-Tech topic #301841 Previous topic | Next topic