Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #301014

Subject: "Is Microsoft more innovative than Apple?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sun Oct-30-16 09:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is Microsoft more innovative than Apple?"

http://mashable.com/2016/10/27/microsoft-better-apple/#.2k9KNl3wqq9

Admit it: Microsoft is now a braver, more innovative company than Apple

I've been an Apple fanboy since I bought my first Macintosh IIsi — complete with color CRT monitor! — secondhand from a friend at college in 1993.

There followed my first color Powerbook in 1996, my cool purple plastic iMac in 1998, my 2003 Powerbook G4 (the first aluminum one, which Steve Jobs introduced with the unforgettable equation "Power + Sex = ?") and at least a half-dozen other Powerbooks, Macbooks, iMacs and Macbook Pros.

As each of those products was unveiled, I held fast to one single, seemingly inviolable rule about the technology world: whatever their relative size, Apple was always a more innovative company than Microsoft. Heck, Microsoft was barely ever in the game of hardware design, while Windows was always playing catch-up to Mac OS.

But under the leadership of Satya Nadella, Microsoft has been clawing its way to relevance with surprising speed. After watching back-to-back hardware events — Microsoft cleverly staging its Surface Studio and Surface Dial reveal a day before Apple's Macbook announcement — I found myself writing this sentence through gritted teeth:

Is the new Macbook a worthy laptop? Sure, it's thinner and less hot in your lap than ever. The fact that you can power it or connect anything from each of its four USB-C ports is neat, even though Apple now runs the risk of being called "The Dongle Company" for all the connectors those ports are going to require.

About that Touch Bar. That's a really neat emoji keyboard you've got there, Apple! But seriously, let's not sell it short. As a rather too long list of developers demonstrated on stage in Cupertino on Thursday, you can also use this thin strip of OLED screen to scratch in a DJ app, and to make your brushes harder or softer in Photoshop.

Power + Sex = ?

But look at what Microsoft just showed us in Seattle. The Surface Studio is the first machine running Windows that I've lusted after since — well, probably since the then-state-of-the-art Sony Vaio in 2003. (That laptop was what Jobs was describing as "sex" in that "Power + Sex =?" equation.)

The Studio, Microsoft's first ever desktop product, is what the iMac should be by now — a truly innovative, ultra-thin, 28-inch touchscreen. You can tilt it to a variety of comfortable angles and lean on it, drawing away with a stylus on a massive digital canvas at 1:1 scale.

The Touch Bar is a thin screen below a screen, a novelty version of function keys that doesn't really care about ergonomics. As we saw at the Apple event, you have to hunch over your Macbook to use it.

The Surface Studio cares about ergonomics, and it looks gorgeous, like an iMac from the future. (At $3,000, it damn well ought to.)

This should be Apple territory, and Microsoft just occupied it.
The fact that the rumored new iMac didn't, ahem, surface at Thursday's event just underlined the difference between the two companies. This should be Apple territory, and Microsoft just occupied it.

Then there's the Surface Dial — another brave and risky move from Microsoft that seems, at first blush, to have paid off. Stick this smooth little hockey puck on the Surface Studio screen and you can use it as a dial in any number of applications.

You don't need to point to one of Apple's old-school innovations, the trackwheel, to realize how intuitive and useful a dial can be — more so than an extra-thin OLED screen.

If Microsoft had thought to promote a piece of DJ software at the Surface event, for example, scratching on that dial would have wiped the floor with Apple's demo of scratching via the Touch Bar in the Algoriddim Djay app. (And I say that as a longtime lover of Djay on the Mac.)

Microsoft's event could well have been titled, "Let's see how much we can embarrass Apple." Not least because the company showed off the latest innovations in HoloLens, its augmented reality answer to all those VR headsets. We saw people using Microsoft Paint to construct cool 3D objects in what they saw as real space.

Apple CEO Tim Cook recently opined on how AR is superior to VR. He clearly believes we'll use something like the HoloLens in the near future. Only it's starting to look like Microsoft is walking the walk, and Apple is just talking the talk.

Probably the most innovative use of the Touch Bar, the one area where Apple has an edge on its rival, is Apple Pay. Buying stuff on your computer late at night using your thumbprint — that sounds like a cool idea, until you start to think about the real-world result.

Sometimes, the hassle of having to go find your credit card and enter its secret code is not such a bad thing.

It's also shocking to see Microsoft take the lead in presentation style, too. Time was when Apple had the guy who seemed to cut through the tech bullshit as he spoke, who made you lust after beautifully designed gadgets even if you didn't need them.

In these two events, the only presenter who did that was Panos Panay, Microsoft's corporate vice president in charge of Surface devices. Panay was refreshingly honest last year when he said he had made a mistake in the way Surface was originally introduced to the public. It seems he's been working hard to correct that error.

Meanwhile, Apple's storied executives spend their time on stage looking just like Microsoft's most preprogrammed leaders. Tim Cook is still stilted, Phil Schiller still sounds like a car salesman, and Craig Federighi is still full of false bonhomie.

Also, when it comes to marketing, Apple has forgotten one of the primary rules of show business: Always leave them wanting more. I doubt that anyone could have wanted to see more of the Touch Bar after the long line of developers demonstrating its wonders at Thursday's event.

The more demos I saw, the more I was convinced that the Touch Bar was a relatively uninteresting novelty item that we'll use way less than Apple is suggesting.

The company's internal technology strategy doesn't even seem like it makes sense any more. If taking the headphone jack out of the iPhone 7 is "courage," if we're supposedly all moving to wireless headphones in the long term, what does it mean to still have a headphone jack in the Macbook Pro?

That seems like a question that could have been addressed from the stage. Otherwise you're telling us how inconsequential the aux jack is at one event, forcing us to use a dongle to connect our headphones with one device, then admitting the jack is important enough to include dongle-free at the next.

That approach may speak to power — at least, the power to do what they damn well please, kill whatever jacks and ports they like (RIP, Magsafe) and just expect their fans to lap it up. But it certainly doesn't speak to the tech world equivalent of sex.

On the evidence of the last two days, even Steve Jobs would have to admit that the sex is currently in Seattle. Microsoft has true technological courage — the courage to try selling new things, to risk failure in the marketplace, to learn from its mistakes, to present a coherent vision.

I'm not saying I'm going to dump my iMac and pick up a Surface any time soon (although the fact that I had to wait weeks after its PC release to able to play Civilization VI on my Mac also gave me pause). There's too much in the way of legacy software — and when it comes to functionality, Mac OS X Sierra beats Windows 10.

But for the first time in two decades, I'm giving it some serious thought.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
At this moment in time, yes, definitely
Nov 03rd 2016
I didn't think about Apple's financial genius when I posted this, but...
Nov 06th 2016
I agree. They are making money
Nov 07th 2016
i guess. Apple is trying to make a robot car and shit.
Nov 03rd 2016
RE: i guess. Apple is trying to make a robot car and shit.
Nov 06th 2016
Innovate is a meaningless term in this context
Nov 04th 2016
Apple's innovating the shit outta dongles, can't deny that n/m
Nov 05th 2016
I can, 1/1 dongles are lame
Nov 07th 2016
      *whoooooooosh*
Nov 07th 2016
           Not a whoosh .. but for Apple Dongles are for legacy
Nov 07th 2016
                Thanks for all that. You continue to prove my point.
Nov 08th 2016
                     Switching to standard ports is a walled garden??
Nov 08th 2016
                          Are you seriously being this willfully ignorant?
Nov 08th 2016
                               WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU????
Nov 08th 2016
                                    You keep focusing on the new MBP.
Nov 08th 2016
                                         Trump won
Nov 09th 2016
                                              Enough to post, at least.
Nov 09th 2016
Apple over its history has been greatly innovative
Nov 06th 2016
      You are repeating "common wisdom" here
Nov 07th 2016
Microsoft is shining right now.
Nov 07th 2016
Android user here who is about to go back to apple but
Nov 08th 2016
^
Nov 12th 2016
Apple is shit been shit
Nov 10th 2016
Surface Laptop, Windows 10 S (CNET swipe)
May 02nd 2017
reeks WIndow RT but
May 03rd 2017
This seems like it'll be more of a niche product
May 03rd 2017
No
May 03rd 2017
      All true
May 03rd 2017

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Thu Nov-03-16 04:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "At this moment in time, yes, definitely"
In response to Reply # 0

But then again, Apple knows that they will make godly amounts of money even f they do nothing more than polish a few icons for the next few years.

Good problem to have.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Nov-06-16 10:16 PM

5. "I didn't think about Apple's financial genius when I posted this, but..."
In response to Reply # 1

I didn't think about Apple's financial genius when I posted this, but like you're getting at, Microsoft may have created a nice product line with Surface, but Apple's reach as a consumer electronics brand is beyond the scope of anything Microsoft is capable of now.

Apple can continue the product lines they have now and just iterate those products and still mint money for the coming time.

But as a fan of Apple, (although I don't own any of their products) it was always great to see the next great product Apple would release that seemed lightyears ahead of their competition. Some of that drive to out innovate their peers might have been from Jobs, but I hoped that Apple would continue their streak of creating products that give a sense of awe.

Microsoft seems to have captured that ability to awe geeks and techies with the Surface line and given that Microsoft for the longest seemed like it has been playing catch up with Apple and Google. Maybe Microsoft has caught people's attention if only because it seemed that innovation wasn't a priority and so any effort given to innovate is noteworthy.

Also, Microsoft's only way to grow as a company is to gain the attention of the tech community since it's ability to become a consumer products company, outside of XBOX, have failed. (Zune, Windows Mobile, etc)

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Mon Nov-07-16 05:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "I agree. They are making money"
In response to Reply # 1

on high margin products. They will be alright.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Nov-03-16 05:09 PM

2. "i guess. Apple is trying to make a robot car and shit."
In response to Reply # 0

they more worried about Tesla and Google right now than Microsoft making a better iMac.

the Surface Studio is dope tho.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Nov-06-16 10:23 PM

6. "RE: i guess. Apple is trying to make a robot car and shit."
In response to Reply # 2

>they more worried about Tesla and Google right now than
>Microsoft making a better iMac.

True. Apple's trying to expand its reach as a brand for technology that appeals to consumers that is approachable and stylish outside of PC's. Plus like kwez said, they have a business model that allows them to generate so much money from its core products that they can afford to direct attention away from those products to reach for new ways to expand.

>
>the Surface Studio is dope tho.

Yeah, if I had the money I would get one. I have an old Surface tablet it's stylish and well-built and it seems that Microsoft has kept those priorities in mind when they made the Studio.

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Fri Nov-04-16 06:15 PM

3. "Innovate is a meaningless term in this context"
In response to Reply # 0

Does Microsoft try more shit? Yes.

We'll see what sticks and what is just another dead end over time.

3D version of paint. Eg.

Vr Glasses try #3. Maybe?

Surface studio has a touch display for $2999? Maybe.

Surface dial is just a Countour Shuttle.

Surfacebook processor upgrade? nothing unexpected there.

We'll see.

Apple "innovates" differently - they don't try new things every few years and then go a different direction.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Sat Nov-05-16 01:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Apple's innovating the shit outta dongles, can't deny that n/m"
In response to Reply # 3

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Mon Nov-07-16 01:38 PM

9. "I can, 1/1 dongles are lame"
In response to Reply # 4

They need to start a hub game.

The video sums it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

------------

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Mon Nov-07-16 02:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "*whoooooooosh*"
In response to Reply # 9

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Mon Nov-07-16 08:31 PM

13. "Not a whoosh .. but for Apple Dongles are for legacy"
In response to Reply # 10

When they got rid of the floppy drive the introduced an external floppy. And that one only read the 1.4Mb disks, not the 400k and 800k ones. Hell, that iMac that dropped the floppy also dropped SCSI (so needed a dongle for old SCSI drives) and dropped ADB (so needed a dongle to use older keyboard/mouse.)

The Macbook pro finally jettisoned *ALL OF IT'S PROPRIETARY PORTS* and *now* it's a big fucking issue?!?!

Why? You want some older ports on there too because the shit you bought (,even from Apple --AND very recently) won't work with it. That 8TB HD you bought has a USB Type A and needs a dongle. So will your older scanner. And your old video camera. And your old memory stick.

So Apple do this "INNOVATE!!! But not too fast."

We have lost a port due to the elimination of Magsafe - people want that back. (I do.)

Those dongles are going to live on the cords of the devices you had plugged in before, not empty on the Mac. or on a hub.

CF reader is gone - not doubt about that. But Apple thinks your device should be the conduit for that. Plug the camera in - or better yet, connect via wireless and transfer them over Wi-fi or Bluetooth. Don't like it - don't buy it.

Apple needs to eliminate the legacy ports on *ALL* of its other products now to force people to come along. Then you'll need a dongle on your older machine for the newer devices.

Note: Apple done did wrong on some things for sure:

1)Can't use your iPhone 7 EarPods on your new Macbook.
2)Lost a port due to elimination of Magsafe. Need to add a dedicated charging port, or integrate a splitter on the stock charging brick.
3)All four ports are not the same. Two on the left are faster than two on the right.
4)Some dongles are too fucking weird. The USB to Thunderbolt is different than USB to DisplayPort - even though they look 100% the same.

I suspect that the updating of peripherals, and Intel's updates (Cannonlake? Coffelake? I don't know which one) that makes all ports equal + time will a small blip on the road.

Apple is no monopoly (except on profits) and you have lots of other choices.

------------

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 11:07 AM

14. "Thanks for all that. You continue to prove my point."
In response to Reply # 13

Apple builds its walled garden, inures its userbase to these types of nickel-and-dime, anti-consumer practices, and profits all the way to the bank.

It's fine if you love the products... but let's call a spade a spade.

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 05:12 PM

16. "Switching to standard ports is a walled garden??"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Nov-08-16 05:26 PM by handle

>Apple builds its walled garden, inures its userbase to these
>types of nickel-and-dime, anti-consumer practices, and profits
>all the way to the bank.
>
>It's fine if you love the products... but let's call a spade a
>spade.

I get it now, whatever Apple does its wrong. Got it.

Someone email TheVerge: Apple's master-plan to nickel and dime people = go with industry standard port.

------------

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 05:38 PM

17. "Are you seriously being this willfully ignorant?"
In response to Reply # 16

Apple has been all about proprietary products since the Macintosh. The iPod set the stage for the iPhone and the walled garden has only grown since then.

The port issue is just another in the long line of ways Apple leverages users that are deeply invested in their closed ecosystem.

> I get it now, whatever Apple does its wrong. Got it.

Hilarious. I didn't say it's "wrong", I said it's anti-consumer. It's clearly working to their benefit (and their) profit margins, which you agree with: "Apple is no monopoly (except on profits)"

I stand by my original statement:

"Apple builds its walled garden, inures its userbase to these types of nickel-and-dime, anti-consumer practices, and profits all the way to the bank.

It's fine if you love the products... but let's call a spade a spade."

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 06:14 PM

18. "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU????"
In response to Reply # 17

>The port issue is just another in the long line of ways Apple
>leverages users that are deeply invested in their closed
>ecosystem.

They are using the USB 3.1 standard port. You call this leveraging , um, SOMETHING???

Now you can buy a standard charger to charge the MacBook. Want to use a USB device - buy the one supporting the new standard. Have an old one? Buy a standard adapter from *any* vendor.

Isn't that what you wanted?

Just what does someone HAS to support to not be anti-consumer? VGA port? SCSII? RS-232C? 1/4 headphone jack??

And how many ports of each? 15 USB 2.0? 22 USB-C? 3 10-Base-2 ports (with the last terminated?)?

Write a letter to Apple and tell them how to fix it all, please.

I"M FUCKING BEGGING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 07:14 PM

19. "You keep focusing on the new MBP."
In response to Reply # 18
Tue Nov-08-16 07:16 PM by wallysmith

I'm saying this has been Apple's MO from the beginning. Proprietary software, proprietary hardware, proprietary accessories. It's an incredible business model, one that is very profitable. If you want to commit to Apple, you have to commit to almost everything that comes along with them. Closed ecosystem, pros and cons.

I don't see how anything you're saying refutes that.

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Wed Nov-09-16 10:06 AM

20. "Trump won"
In response to Reply # 19

I don't give a fuck anymore.

------------

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Nov-09-16 10:20 AM

21. "Enough to post, at least."
In response to Reply # 20

But yes, this is the darkest timeline.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Nov-06-16 10:32 PM

7. "Apple over its history has been greatly innovative"
In response to Reply # 3

Between the original Macintosh, iMac, iPod, iPhone, etc, they've always been on the cutting edge of computing for consumers.

Obviously, Microsoft hasn't been able to push the envelope with its creations to the degree that Apple has. And these innovations, in comparison with the leaps in technology that the Apple has spawned aren't really comparable.

But maybe this article gets at something that hasn't been said since Jobs died, is that Apple hasn't create the NEXT GREAT PRODUCT in the time since his passing. For the most part the company has iterated and cleaned up a lot of visual design of their products (MacOS, iOS) but the iPad seems stale as does the Macbook line.

But the Surface Pro's are more complete products than both the Macbooks and iPad and some of the decisions to cannibalize some of their products (iPad Pro and Macbook Air) and other changes in approaches that Jobs likely wouldn't have made have at least created a seed of doubt in their RDF.

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Mon Nov-07-16 01:36 PM

8. "You are repeating "common wisdom" here"
In response to Reply # 7

>Between the original Macintosh, iMac, iPod, iPhone, etc,
>they've always been on the cutting edge of computing for
>consumers.

Look at the launch of almost any of those products and you not see the word s"innovate" or "invent" you'll see coverage filled "Apple demands you follow only it's choices" and "Apple wants to much control over your life."

>But maybe this article gets at something that hasn't been said
>since Jobs died, is that Apple hasn't create the NEXT GREAT
>PRODUCT in the time since his passing. For the most part the
>company has iterated and cleaned up a lot of visual design of
>their products (MacOS, iOS) but the iPad seems stale as does
>the Macbook line.

Jesus, EVERY ARTICLE Written since Jobs died has said this. ALL OF THEM. Really, every single one.

>But the Surface Pro's are more complete products than both the
>Macbooks and iPad and some of the decisions to cannibalize
>some of their products (iPad Pro and Macbook Air) and other
>changes in approaches that Jobs likely wouldn't have made have
>at least created a seed of doubt in their RDF.

So it's Apple innovative ever, or is it always RDF?

In anycase only time and profit will tell, If Apple starts TANKING then they'll have made the wrong choices.

------------

jetblack
44804 posts
Mon Nov-07-16 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Microsoft is shining right now."
In response to Reply # 0

It's hard for me to admit it but they are shimmering... their cloud services are beast, Office 365 is solid, Server 2016 looks rock solid and that new surface studio looks amazing. They are being great.

Apple is biding it's time because of Intel dragging it's feet and the slow death of the desktop for regular people. Apple will pull the trigger on macOS running on A* processors if it keeps going like this. It can happen because it happened before with PowerPC to Intel. Workstations and servers will always be around for heavy lifting but most people aren't buying em as much any more. It's a slow death.

Is Microsoft more innovative than Apple? Right now? Maybe... but we haven't seen AR, Project Titan, and the other wearables. This story is click bait but I see where they are coming from.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 11:52 AM

15. "Android user here who is about to go back to apple but"
In response to Reply # 0

Alot of the stuff Apple does was copied from android in regards to their cell phones. Not everything but its funny to see people pretend a tech is brand spanking new when it was available on droid for a min. I will say everybody is copying macbooks now. Thin and light notebooks wasnt a thing until That Macbook refresh in 2010. Now everybody has macbook air clones on their laptop product line. Lenovo, Dell, HP. All of them. All of them are shit too.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

jetblack
44804 posts
Sat Nov-12-16 01:23 PM

23. "^"
In response to Reply # 15

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

FLUD_of_IP
Charter member
1366 posts
Thu Nov-10-16 05:53 PM

22. "Apple is shit been shit"
In response to Reply # 0

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Tue May-02-17 10:42 PM

24. "Surface Laptop, Windows 10 S (CNET swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cnet.com/news/surface-laptop-windows-10s-everything-microsoft-just-announced/

Surface Laptop, Windows 10 S: Everything Microsoft just revealed

Microsoft is ready to jump back into the classroom. Here's all the tech it's bringing along.

by Alfred Ng
May 2, 2017 2:38 PM PDT

It's back to school for Microsoft.

Microsoft wants its laptops and software once again to have a prime place in the classroom, where it once held a stronghold until Google's cheap, efficient Chromebooks came along.

At its EDU event on Tuesday, Microsoft announced a new Surface laptop, along with some partner PCs, meant to help it win back schools across the country. Windows PCs years ago dominated in schools, while Apple took a back seat until it rebuilt itself with the iPod, iMac and ultimately the iPhone.

Then came Google's Chrome OS software and Chromebooks, which offered schools an inexpensive and safe way to primarily surf the web for students. They were also easier to manage for teachers setting up computers in the classroom.

Chromebooks have since become the top choice for schools, with more than 20 million students using the laptops internationally, according to Google.

Surface Laptop

Microsoft introduced the Surface Laptop to take on the MacBook Air, going with a traditional clamshell design and ditching the hybrid tablet-laptop format that built the Surface's name. The Surface Laptop will sell for $999 in the US, matching Apple's price range.

It comes with an Intel Core i5 CPU, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of SSD storage, and Microsoft is promising 14 hours of battery life. The 13-inch laptop weighs less than a 13-inch MacBook Pro at 2.76 pounds (1.25 kg) and comes with a touchscreen display and Surface Pen support.

The laptop comes in four colors: silver, gold, burgundy and gray.

The new Windows 10 S takes a walled-garden approach, offering faster load times and more security for students. Microsoft said it would also have faster start times and offer better battery performance than its predecessors, but there's a catch.

On Windows 10 S, you'll only be able to run Microsoft's apps and can only install third-party apps from Microsoft's Windows store. It takes a page from Google's Chrome OS, which school administrators flocked to for its simplicity.

The closed-in software should make it easier for teachers to manage laptops in the schools, along with features like classroom chat groups, assignment submissions and moderation tools.

The operating system allows for easy mass setups across classrooms by using a USB key. It will be free for any current PCs using Windows Pro.

The new Windows 10 S takes a walled-garden approach, offering faster load times and more security for students. Microsoft said it would also have faster start times and offer better battery performance than its predecessors, but there's a catch.

On Windows 10 S, you'll only be able to run Microsoft's apps and can only install third-party apps from Microsoft's Windows store. It takes a page from Google's Chrome OS, which school administrators flocked to for its simplicity.

The closed-in software should make it easier for teachers to manage laptops in the schools, along with features like classroom chat groups, assignment submissions and moderation tools.

The operating system allows for easy mass setups across classrooms by using a USB key. It will be free for any current PCs using Windows Pro.

Going Pro

People who have Windows 10 S and who want to get out of the limited, student experience will be able to update the operating system into the full-fledged Windows Pro. But be warned: Once you upgrade your license key, you can't go back.

It will cost $49 to upgrade from Windows 10 S to the full Windows 10 Pro. The change allows people to download software that is not curated and secured by Microsoft.

Partner laptops

The new Surface Laptop won't be the only device running Windows 10 S. Acer and HP are both offering cheaper options for schools that might not want to shell out $1,000 for the premium device.

The Acer Travelmate Spin B1 and HP ProBook x360 11 Education Edition will both add Windows 10 S versions to their laptops, which are already available for $299. The cheapest education laptop starts at $189, the Windows executive vice president Terry Myerson said at the event.

Minecraft: Education Edition upgrades

Microsoft hopes students will use Minecraft as a building block to learn coding.

The company introduced a new Code Builder for Minecraft: Education Edition, which will allow players to write code to move, build and create in the game.

Education platforms like Tynker and ScratchX will be integrated into the massively popular game, as well as Microsoft's own MakeCode open-source platform to teach JavaScript.

Students can get a free one-year trial of Minecraft: Education Edition, and the Code Builder upgrade will be available through the Microsoft Store for Education.

Mixed reality

You can expect more virtual objects floating around in classrooms.

Microsoft is preparing to bring "mixed reality" into schools with new features on Window 10 S, saying there will be at least 7 million new jobs for creating 3D art in North America alone.

It's hoping to introduce virtual, augmented and mixed reality into classrooms so students can get a head start on the burgeoning creative field. View Mixed Reality is arriving in the fall to let people preview 3D objects in the real world through a mixed reality headset or their screens.

Microsoft will also be partnering with Pearson Education to bring 3D and MR devices into classroom curriculum by 2018. The packages will include subjects like history, science, math and commerce.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Wed May-03-17 03:02 AM

25. "reeks WIndow RT but"
In response to Reply # 24

at least you can get out of it. Trying to force people to customize their products for their store 9 years after Apple started doing it with iOS? Come on son.

The laptop looks amazing but what I want to know is what performance it gets on regular windows 10

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed May-03-17 08:58 PM

26. "This seems like it'll be more of a niche product"
In response to Reply # 25

Something almost exclusively for K-12. But then why charge almost 1K for a base model? Especially since Chromebooks seem to function well enough.

You can update Windows 10 S to standard Windows 10, so the market for the laptop can grow in theory.

But out of all of the Surface products, this seems to lack the business forethought and the design brilliance that the Surface Pro, Surfacebook and the desktop have.

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Wed May-03-17 10:23 PM

27. "No"
In response to Reply # 24

A $999 laptop with a crippled version of their software (or tailored version depending on your stance) that only allows apps to be installed from their walled-garden app store and will not let you change your default web browser, search provider, or email client?

Oh, and if you buy this year you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free ($49 after that) so you get a touchscreen laptop running windows for $999.

Not really innovative.

Might be a good business move - and the other Windows 10s machines sound like they cost in the $250 to $350 range.

But this is just business - trying to cannibalize the Chromebook market -- not a ground breaking idea.

------------

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed May-03-17 11:10 PM

28. "All true"
In response to Reply # 27
Wed May-03-17 11:11 PM by obsidianchrysalis

I probably should have made another post altogether but since the original post included info about the Surface Studio I included the swipe here.

Yeah, this product just doesn't make much sense, unless they have plans for the laptop that just aren't ready for release at this point.

The technology seems good but, like you said, the price point for the technology included is off. The lack of access to apps from third-parties makes no sense. Including a version of Windows 10 that isn't as robust as the standard version just wreaks of the mistakes the OG Surface and the Windows RT that was included with it.

Just a head scratcher.

Lobby High-Tech topic #301014 Previous topic | Next topic