Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #300690

Subject: "NBA 2K17" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Mon Sep-19-16 10:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"NBA 2K17"

how is it this year?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ps4 league anyone?
Sep 19th 2016
shame you jumped to PS4
Sep 20th 2016
dope but several issues
Sep 19th 2016
Still only playing MyCareer.
Sep 19th 2016
Still only playing Franchise for the most part.
Sep 21st 2016
same here - Franchise mode
Sep 21st 2016
league expansion is cool
Sep 21st 2016
We're looking to get the band back together for a High Tech League
Sep 23rd 2016
I can go get it but I'm in my 4th season of 2k16 MyPlayer
Sep 23rd 2016
No rush
Sep 24th 2016
      hopefully soon rather than later
Sep 26th 2016
my biggest concern...
Sep 28th 2016
haven't played since 2014
Oct 29th 2016
How many folks have copped?
Nov 21st 2016
copping this week w/the deal they have
Nov 21st 2016
I really enjoy it after the last couple patches, but it still has issues
Nov 21st 2016
I have it
Jan 12th 2017
still playing 2k16 with updated rosters...
Jan 13th 2017
NBA and 2K Sports have teamed up for an official eSports league
Feb 09th 2017
points in the paint!
Feb 09th 2017
this is big
Feb 09th 2017
Awesome.
Feb 09th 2017
doesn't bad sports game AI/cheating* kill this before it gets going?
Feb 09th 2017
      oh, 5v5. nevermind, lol
Feb 09th 2017
anyone ready to lose to me?
Feb 20th 2017

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Mon Sep-19-16 01:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "ps4 league anyone?"
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Tue Sep-20-16 08:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "shame you jumped to PS4"
In response to Reply # 1

we're doing an xbox one league in January.

https://digife.com

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Mon Sep-19-16 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "dope but several issues"
In response to Reply # 0

I think a lot of them will be addressed in a big patch soon after tomorrow, the game wasn't just released four days early for pre-orders, it was released nearly a month early to the general public. the lack of polish shows.

I've never played much Ultimate Team stuff in other games before Diamond Dynasty this year, but that seems like the gold standard. Between the contracts and having the same player with different ratings depending on the jewel by their name, MyTeam is mad confusing and cumbersome. Obviously the ratings are what matter most but three tiers vs. nine with a third the number of players just makes things obtuse.

Online is still half as responsive as offline, but with the game sped up as much as it is it's impossible to play on-ball defense and every type of shot is off by a huge margin.

All the franchise options are very cool, the one thing they screwed up on is not letting you cast an actual vote for league rule changes (at least in MyLeague, haven't tried MyGM) but just showing you what was rejected and approved then letting you decide if you want to overturn that ruling or not.

The game is much more physical in the paint, rebounding can still feel a bit random at times but there are a lot of new, cool animations for tipped rebounds and the game finally has tip outs.

The game is twice as fast as last year and you can feel the difference between a young athletic dude like Kris Dunn and Ramon Sessions pretty easily.

New coaching menus require a lot of self-training to understand and might be better in theory, but in practice there are too many small issues with them that make a 60 second timeout suddenly feel like a 20 second timeout.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23862 posts
Mon Sep-19-16 08:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Still only playing MyCareer."
In response to Reply # 0

No issues to report. I'm enjoying.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17894 posts
Wed Sep-21-16 12:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Still only playing Franchise for the most part. "
In response to Reply # 0

I know MyCareer has become the most popular mode, but I'm consistently impressed by the franchise mode and options.

I'll give MyCareer some run, but not being able to skip the cut scenes makes it a bit of a grind. I still think the mode would be better if you could run it just like a regular game so you could call plays for your player and really give them some run. My teammates never pass me the freakin ball where I need it.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Wed Sep-21-16 02:46 PM

6. "same here - Franchise mode"
In response to Reply # 5

It's my default mode

I'll pick this up when the season starts, I just cracked open Madden (which I like this year)

Nodima
15294 posts
Wed Sep-21-16 06:40 PM

7. "league expansion is cool"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm waiting until the season starts or the first big patch, whichever comes first, but I've already done a couple different starts of a season with new teams to figure out how I'd like to proceed on my official save and like how they handled it a lot. I think I'll do an expansion league for simming and occasional play just play along with the actual regular season on the realistic save.

~~~~~~~~~

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 08:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "We're looking to get the band back together for a High Tech League"
In response to Reply # 0

on XBOX.

LoQuent
Leroy Bumpkin
Steelysteel
Rjcc
chap19150

Have all expressed interest. Anybody else interested in an XBOX league?

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 10:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I can go get it but I'm in my 4th season of 2k16 MyPlayer"
In response to Reply # 8

Didnt plan on getting 2k17 until I was done.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 10:46 AM

10. "No rush"
In response to Reply # 9

We probably won't get the league together for a couple of months. A couple of folks haven't gotten it yet.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 08:50 AM

11. "hopefully soon rather than later"
In response to Reply # 10

I'm adjusting to playing it on the One for the first time and it feels weird coming from 360 all this time but if you all want a chance against my greatness now is the time

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 02:57 PM

12. "my biggest concern..."
In response to Reply # 8

...the old leagues were 10-12 team leagues of all human players.
Now I think the online leagues fill out the rest of the league with AI controlled teams.
I hope there's a way you can adjust that.

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Sat Oct-29-16 02:24 AM

13. "haven't played since 2014"
In response to Reply # 8

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 10:35 AM

14. "How many folks have copped?"
In response to Reply # 0

We should think about a new league soon.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 10:54 AM

15. "copping this week w/the deal they have"
In response to Reply # 14

Played during the free weekend a little

Nodima
15294 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 02:25 PM

16. "I really enjoy it after the last couple patches, but it still has issues"
Mon Nov-21-16 02:28 PM by Nodima

primarily, your defense sags off shooters in the corner as a rule, and the game will slie the player you're controlling out of the way to create a wide open jumper if it feels like your opponent is due.

I still haven't played around with the sliders, but interior defense is a real concern. I have franchises going with both the Warriors and Knicks and I'm pretty satisfied that interior defense is a little better with Porzingis/Noah than it is Green/Pachulia, but you really don't feel the impact of Green's footwork and anticipation the way you'd hope. A lot of the CPU's offense is off passes you can't pass and just doing the calculations to know this is an open shot or not.

Even still, on the default sliders I average about 10-15 more FTs than CPU, I shoot ~52% and they shoot ~48%, and on 12 minute quarters I usually score 110-130 and they score anywhere from 90 to 140 depending on who I'm playing and which team I am.

The playbooks are really stellar, though. Once you get used to how teams initiate plays especially the game feels very unique from team to team whether you're playing with or against them. The Knicks offense is actually pretty fun in video game form for this reason since it initiates the offense off any standard pass from the top of the key to another player on the team, whereas the Warriors offense winds up in freestyle offense a lot (which isn't much of a problem since they're all fantastic passers, shooters, drivers, cutters, etc.)

I think with the right slier adjustments this could easily be the best 2K since 2K11 and it's already has the best feel other than those aforementioned issues with the game taking control from you. My primary issue is that online has REALLY gone to shit. I'm not sure if MyPark plays better than PlayNow, but the timing on everything is completely different online and the players move at a totally different speed. It's jarring and sort of embarassing, really. The game didn't have that issue in the PS3 era and it's been a constant of the PS4 era. I was primarily an offline player 2K5-2K8, online 2K9-2K12, and have slowly drifted back to offline since 2K14 though I really didn't play much 15 or 16 at all to be honest because the AI seemed really cheap and the online was awful.

~~~~~~~~~

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Thu Jan-12-17 10:49 PM

17. "I have it"

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Fri Jan-13-17 09:38 AM

18. "still playing 2k16 with updated rosters..."

....in not playing online much anymore though

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 01:21 AM

19. "NBA and 2K Sports have teamed up for an official eSports league"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2017/02/09/nba-2ks-eleague-could-change-the-competitive-gaming-scene/#19849ee43797

NBA 2K's ELeague Could Change The Competitive Gaming Scene

Brian Mazique , CONTRIBUTOR

The National Basketball Association and 2K Sports have teamed up for an official eSports league and the competitive gaming world may never be the same.

On Thursday, the NBA and Take-Two Interactive Software announced their plans to launch the NBA 2K eLeague, per a news release provided to Forbes. It will be a professional gaming league backed by the NBA. This is the first time in history a competitive gaming league will be operated by an American professional sports league.

The new venture is scheduled to start in 2018. The teams will be run by real NBA organizations. Those teams are expected to be announced in the next few months. Each team will have five professional eSports players.

The league will run on a format consistent to most American sports leagues. There will be head-to-head competition with a regular season, playoffs and a championship matchup. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said this about the partnership:

“The popularity of NBA 2K with the young and growing eSports community provides a unique opportunity to develop something truly special for our fans and the gaming community. We look forward to combining our best-in-class NBA team operators with Take-Two’s competitive gaming expertise to create a brand new league experience.”

Stanley Zelnick, the CEO of Take-Two offered:

“The NBA 2K series is renowned throughout the world for capturing the authenticity of the NBA and the passion of its fans. eSports is a growing segment of our industry, and we will aim to take the thrill of competition to exciting new heights through our partnership with the NBA.”

EA Sports' Madden, FIFA, NHL and UFC games have all thrown their hat into the eSports ring to varying degrees, but the publisher has been unable to make a power move of this magnitude. Having NBA franchises run the eSports teams gives the league a vested interest in the success of this venture.

That will likely lead to exposure for NBA 2K's eSports presence that would have been difficult to attain for Take-Two on its own. This could potentially put NBA 2K in a position to rival iconic eSports titles such as Starcraft, Call of Duty, Counter Strike and Defense of the Ancients in domestic popularity.

If nothing else, the partnership shows how much Take-Two and the NBA believes in the current and future popularity of eSports in America.

Stay tuned for more details and information as it becomes available.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 11:10 AM

20. "points in the paint!"
In response to Reply # 19

oh, the good ol' days.

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 11:26 AM

21. "this is big"

Nice deal for take 2

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 11:46 AM

22. "Awesome."

I don't play the game, but I would certainly spectate competitive play. I enjoyed the recent Madden championship circuit quite a bit.

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 03:47 PM

23. "doesn't bad sports game AI/cheating* kill this before it gets going?"
Thu Feb-09-17 03:49 PM by bearfield

*as in EA style stat matching and "the CPU has to succeed once every x plays so here's this 69 BTK RB breaking 7 tackles on your 95+ tackling defense." 2k does this as well. i had a 7' SF that only shot 3s and had the quickest release and highest jump animations but was still getting "shot disruption" penalties when defended by guards as short as 5'11"

are there any competitive esports games with AI? dota 2 and LoL have creeps but those are very simply programmed, to the point where they can be easily manipulated. fighting games have no AI to account for, nor do competitive FPS games, or RTS games

are these players so good that they're effectively neutralizing the AI by manually switching and calling plays?

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 05:56 PM

24. "oh, 5v5. nevermind, lol"
In response to Reply # 23
Thu Feb-09-17 05:58 PM by bearfield

i assumed 1v1 since madden and fifa are 1v1. turns out reading the text posted informs you of the specifics

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Mon Feb-20-17 01:49 AM

25. "anyone ready to lose to me? "
In response to Reply # 0

Tired of the excuses lets get a 2k league up and running for XBOX

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

Lobby High-Tech topic #300690 Previous topic | Next topic