Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #300570

Subject: "2016 iPhone Event" Previous topic | Next topic
soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2016 iPhone Event"

The predictions on this one seem kinda blah...will there be any big surprises?

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2016/

http://live.cnet.com/Event/Apple_iPhone_7_Event_Live_Blog

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/31/what-to-expect-from-apples-see-you-iphone-event/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Jetblack iPhone. *Prayer Hands*
Sep 07th 2016
waterproof. Way better camera
Sep 07th 2016
*rolls eyes*
Sep 07th 2016
more adapters
Sep 07th 2016
The 7 comes with the adapter.
Sep 07th 2016
      I don't agree with it, but I understand it.
Sep 07th 2016
           You understand it because of your inurement.
Sep 07th 2016
                ^^Pentalobe screws , HI-Larious.
Sep 07th 2016
                It is hilarious.
Sep 08th 2016
                I understand it because I understand business
Sep 08th 2016
                     Sure, that's fine, I'll take what you say at face value.
Sep 08th 2016
                          Dog we've been agreeing from jump
Sep 08th 2016
                               If we're in agreement, cool.
Sep 08th 2016
                                    You just don't understand Apple and consumers
Sep 11th 2016
                                         RE: You just don't understand Apple and consumers
Sep 14th 2016
                                         Apple Now Officially Dongle Company That Happens to Make Computers
Nov 05th 2016
Sammy too, maybe.
Sep 15th 2016
      If that's the case, then that's shitty of Google too.
Sep 15th 2016
airpods for $159....whaaaaaaaaaaaaaTTT?!!!
Sep 07th 2016
Yeah...a wireless version of their crappy earpods shouldn't
Sep 07th 2016
      basically
Sep 08th 2016
I wish they would have made the base 64GB.
Sep 07th 2016
agreed. if 128 is the new "middle", why not?
Sep 08th 2016
      Because the margins are better on the 128GB
Sep 09th 2016
Hmm...I think I'll just be holding on to my 6s for a while.
Sep 07th 2016
^^This
Sep 07th 2016
I can't think of a feature in any iPhone that made me *want* to upgrade
Sep 07th 2016
Basically.
Sep 07th 2016
that 256 GB is very tempting for me.
Sep 07th 2016
Ditto
Sep 08th 2016
It's been a 2 year upgrade cycle for me since the iPhone 4.
Sep 08th 2016
Kill the headphone jack for another speaker?
Sep 07th 2016
I don't know if they will get away with it.
Sep 07th 2016
Sony could never make it stick, apple does. *shrug*
Sep 07th 2016
      Sony never had a 'must have' product either
Sep 07th 2016
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sep 08th 2016
           when the iphone was getting going
Sep 11th 2016
                True. But they were just using the 30 pin to USB
Sep 11th 2016
So much for Nintendo bringing nuance to mobile gaming
Sep 07th 2016
as said elsewhere: 256GB is HUUUUUUGE (no Drumpf-o)
Sep 08th 2016
Why won't Apple let me preorder an unlocked phone without
Sep 09th 2016
I agree - but it's ALWAYS been like this
Sep 11th 2016
Gotcha. Yeah I figured it had to be some type of agreement between
Sep 11th 2016
They really gotta let people do this more often.
Sep 12th 2016
Upgrading my 6 Plus to 7 Plus 256GB Jet Black
Sep 12th 2016
Picked up an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Matte Black (AT&T)
Sep 18th 2016
2017 and the phone is a champ ... but...
Jan 04th 2017
It was too early for them to take away the headphone jack.
Jan 04th 2017
      ^^^^
Jan 18th 2017

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44802 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Jetblack iPhone. *Prayer Hands*"
In response to Reply # 0

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "waterproof. Way better camera"
In response to Reply # 0

so far so good.

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "*rolls eyes*"
In response to Reply # 0

Proprietary headphone jack? Ick.

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "more adapters"
In response to Reply # 3

I kinda rock with it though.

If you must use headphones or an aux cord, then take the L and cop the adapter or keep your current phone. Otherwise, bluetooth.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "The 7 comes with the adapter."
In response to Reply # 4

Future generations though? Nope.

And the new Airpods? Sounds like they'll have proprietary "bluetooth-like" connectivity.

None of this is new for Apple though. Just another clever way to create entirely new product lines to nickel and dime their consumers.

And of course, it's eaten up and excused all day.

It's fine to love Apple. Just call a spade a spade.

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:53 PM

8. "I don't agree with it, but I understand it."
In response to Reply # 5

If you're fanboy enough to buy those airpods, then you ain't gonna mind the proprietary connection.

Apple is once again way ahead of the curve when getting rid of current tech, but outside of audiophiles, bluetooth is the wave.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 05:02 PM

15. "You understand it because of your inurement."
In response to Reply # 8

Apple's brand cachet means they have incredible leverage on people's purchasing decisions. Because of their walled garden, they can coerce sunk cost purchases on their "faithful" and convince them to drink the kool aid.

> Apple is once again way ahead of the curve when getting rid of current tech, but outside of audiophiles, bluetooth is the wave.

And this is what I'm talking about. What value added is the "Lightning" connector adding to the consumer experience (please nothing from a marketing slide though)? Or the new headphone adapter? Or the new "bluetooth-like" technology? Or their Pentalobeâ„¢ screws? Nothing. Just more ways to squeeze from their userbase.

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 07:20 PM

20. "^^Pentalobe screws , HI-Larious."
In response to Reply # 15

Man people stay ANGRY at Apple.

I'm still a little mad they replaced ADB with USB - I need a dongle to run my Apple Extended II Keyboard!! (I got over the floppy removal within 18 months.)

I do think removing the headphone jack will be problematic - as will not having a way to change and use supplied wired headphone jacks.

But that adapter is fine - don't think of it as part of the phone - think or it as part of the cord on the headphone jack.

Let's hope extras are $9.99 from Apple and $3.99 from knockoff.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 09:57 AM

23. "It is hilarious."
In response to Reply # 20
Thu Sep-08-16 10:07 AM by wallysmith

Thanks for proving my point. Your immediate sentiment is that I'm "mad" at Apple, but I have spent exactly zero dollars on Apple in the past five years.

My actual point is just how consumer unfriendly their practices are but because people have so much personal and financial investment in Apple already they have no choice but to accept it. And they know that their most fervent supporters will DEFEND those practices. Do you want to actually address that phenomenon or resort to ad hominem attacks again?

> But that adapter is fine - don't think of it as part of the phone - think or it as part of the cord on the headphone jack.

Case in point. So what happens if you want to charge your phone and use the headphone jack at the same time? Oh right, you have to pay $30 for an official Apple charge/3.5mm adapter or pay $25 for an officially licensed third party adapter. Be careful with knockoffs though, Apple has already bricked phones using unlicensed Lightning chargers.

And if you're an audiophile, heaven forbid using your high end headphones that you've been using on multiple devices throughout your home. You'll now also need officially licensed headphones using their proprietary BlueAppleâ„¢ technology that is supposedly more battery efficient than ever. *rolls eyes*

Again, my point isn't to bash on Apple necessarily, it's to slam shitty asshole anticonsumer practices, regardless of the source. Since those shitty asshole anticonsumer practices happen to line up with a company you adore, you think it's me being irrationally "mad". It's not.

It's fine to love a product but criticize the company, they're not mutually exclusive.

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 08:59 AM

22. "I understand it because I understand business"
In response to Reply # 15

I said from the rip that I don't agree with it. Ain't no added value to none of it. They have a hold in the market and they're exploiting it. Plain and simple.

Niggas got Sony out the paint when trying to push some of their proprietary products. With bluetooth everywhere and the hold Apple has on it's user base, I don't think losing a headphone jack is enough.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 10:06 AM

24. "Sure, that's fine, I'll take what you say at face value. "
In response to Reply # 22

You understand business, cool. But then the first thing you say to me in post #4 is:

"more adapters. I kinda rock with it though. If you must use headphones or an aux cord, then take the L and cop the adapter or keep your current phone. Otherwise, bluetooth."

That's exactly what I'm describing. Consumers supporting anti-consumer practices because of sunk costs. It's like rednecks voting against their own economic self-interests because they want to Build the Wall.

> I said from the rip that I don't agree with it.

But.... you did "kinda" agree with it? That wasn't your sentiment to me initially.

> Niggas got Sony out the paint when trying to push some of their proprietary products.

Yup, I agree with that. But like spenzalii noted in post #17, Sony has never had the market (or mind-)share that Apple currently maintains. So consumers HAVE to accept it... and the worst thing is when consumers DEFEND it.

> With bluetooth everywhere and the hold Apple has on it's user base, I don't think losing a headphone jack is enough.

Exactly, thanks for proving my point.

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 11:00 AM

27. "Dog we've been agreeing from jump"
In response to Reply # 24
Thu Sep-08-16 11:04 AM by Mafamaticks

It still hurts, but I just think it's not as painful because bluetooth is widely available as an alternative. I was being facetious when I said more adapters.

That's exactly what I'm describing. Consumers supporting
>anti-consumer practices because of sunk costs. It's like
>rednecks voting against their own economic self-interests
>because they want to Build the Wall.

I can't speak to the anti-consumer practices cause I don't know shit about it, but I don't think customers are voting against their self interests when buying Apple products. it's not like they gave you a 6s without an headphone jack and called it a 7. They removed it to make space for extra features and as a consumer, it's up to you whether or not the extra features are worth losing the headphone jack over. Some dudes are gonna fanboy but others (like me) don't think the trade off is worth it

If the market moves towards it then great, if it doesn't the iPhone 8 will put it back in.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 02:33 PM

32. "If we're in agreement, cool."
In response to Reply # 27

But you gotta admit it didn't look like it from that first post.

To be clear though, I wasn't saying Apple consumers are voting against their self-interests by buying Apple products. I said this:

"Consumers supporting anti-consumer practices because of sunk costs."

It's the ardent Apple defenders that DEFEND the shitty anti-consumer practices that are "voting" against their self-interests.

> If the market moves towards it then great, if it doesn't the iPhone 8 will put it back in.

I'm highly skeptical. All the new "mandatory" peripherals are going to sell like gangbusters, pushing that bottom line. And by next year people are going to get more or less used to it.

I think you're underestimating the level of brand loyalty people have towards Apple.

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Sun Sep-11-16 04:01 PM

37. "You just don't understand Apple and consumers"
In response to Reply # 32

Consumers are making a CHOICE to go with Apple.

It's not anti-conusmer - it's offering a choice. Apple is not new - and these are not new moves - consumers know that Apple does this. Making the choice to go with Apple is not all upside - but it's not liek its sneaky or done in a way to actively fuck people just for money.

And Apple could make a bad decision and have people leave en masse.

You think the choice is more limited and "bad" for the consumer - many consumers don't agree (looking at Apple's profits its the case - looking at market share Apple is not the dominant player in the space.) (This isn't a poor person voting Republican situation.)

I think removing the headphone jack will definitely have some people leave. I agree (and posted over in the GD discussion) that not having the ability to listen to music with headphones and charge the iPhone at the same time will be bad - especially for people who own cars without iPhone integration.

There's always the iPhone dock or one of those Belkin splitters (not yet released) or bluetooth receiver - but again I agree it's bad.

But I felt that removing the optical drive from laptops was a bad move - now I don't care at all (and I have a $60 bluray recorder when I need it.)

Pentalobe screws? Man, GOFOH. You could get the screwdrivers for $1.99 within two weeks of the switch.

As for audiophiles - they don't like the iPhone *now* - it won't make a difference. The last Apple product they loved was the 5th gen iPod.

What they do are buy headphone amps - or custom DACS with balanced headphone outputs.

------------

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Sep-14-16 10:12 AM

42. "RE: You just don't understand Apple and consumers"
In response to Reply # 37

LOL. Right. Take off the white-colored glasses. Everything I've stated is objective, and it's not like it's new analysis. It's all over.

>Consumers are making a CHOICE to go with Apple.

Sure, but that wasn't my point.

>It's not anti-conusmer - it's offering a choice. Apple is not
>new - and these are not new moves - consumers know that Apple
>does this.

Sure, because they've been INURED to it. If the first Apple iPhone had come out where you had to hold it in a certain way to not interfere with the antenna, a different connector from your ipod and no headphone jack, would people have been ok with this? No, because it's happening all at once. When you spread out these provisions over the span of a decade though? Sure, it's way more palatable.

It's not coincidental that they're introducing a proprietary wireless format alongside removing the headphone jack. Eliminating Bluetooth now would be unconscionable. But imagine that announcement in 3-5 years, once everyone already has their BlueApple© headphones and BlueApple© wireless speakers and BlueApple© connected home system. You know, in the name of "battery efficiency". This is right up Apple's alley, and I'm leaning towards it being a certainty versus random speculation.

>Making the choice to go with Apple is not all
>upside - but it's not liek its sneaky or done in a way to
>actively fuck people just for money.

Are you sure about that? Check out this link:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/8/12842378/phil-schiller-iphone-headphone-jack-drm-pure-conspiracy-theory

Everything in that checklist is calculated to nickel and dime not just the consumers but their affiliates.

>And Apple could make a bad decision and have people leave en
>masse.

The ONLYway this would happen is if their batteries started blowing up AND start slashing your tires.

>You think the choice is more limited and "bad" for the
>consumer - many consumers don't agree (looking at Apple's
>profits its the case - looking at market share Apple is not
>the dominant player in the space.) (This isn't a poor person
>voting Republican situation.)

You really don't understand my point, do you? I'm not questioning people's choices to purchase Apple products, I'm questioning those people that DEFEND Apple's anti-consumer practices *cough cough*.

In other words, if you had simply said "yeah, I love Apple products but the headphone jack thing is just another precedent set in their shitty practices" then I would have nodded and KIM. But that's not the case here, is it?

>I think removing the headphone jack will definitely have some
>people leave. I agree (and posted over in the GD discussion)
>that not having the ability to listen to music with headphones
>and charge the iPhone at the same time will be bad -
>especially for people who own cars without iPhone
>integration.

Great, we agree on something! But while some people will leave, many, many more will stay. That's the leverage Apple has over Apple consumers: they've already invested so much time and money into their products that they're willing to put up with these inconveniences because they don't have the energy to switch.

And Apple knows this fact very, very well.

>There's always the iPhone dock or one of those Belkin
>splitters (not yet released) or bluetooth receiver - but again
>I agree it's bad.

And this is how Apple gets you. "Well yeah it sucks, but at least I can get these Apple branded accessories to get around it! And I think I'll convince others to do the same to validate my own purchases!"

>But I felt that removing the optical drive from laptops was a
>bad move - now I don't care at all (and I have a $60 bluray
>recorder when I need it.)

Inurement. This is the RDF in effect. "Oh I see... I was just holding my phone wrong! Duh."

>Pentalobe screws? Man, GOFOH. You could get the screwdrivers
>for $1.99 within two weeks of the switch.

LOL. That's not the point. Remember that nickel-and-diming? People couldn't go to third-party repair shops, they had to go to the Apple Branded Genius Bar to get their phones fixed.

The difference with the screws is Apple can't write software to brick a third party screwdriver. But they CAN write software to brick unlicensed Lightning manufacturers. I find it EXTREMELY interesting you didn't address that example of mine in the other post.

>
>As for audiophiles - they don't like the iPhone *now* - it
>won't make a difference. The last Apple product they loved was
>the 5th gen iPod.

Who cares? Is every single audiophile in the world a non-Apple user? What kind of reasoning is that? If you want, ditch "audiophile" and replace with "person who likes nice headphones". Is that a big enough demographic for you?

So Apple has now provided reasoning for "persons who likes nice headphones" to start thinking about buying BlueApple© branded headphones for better "battery efficiency". They don't have any non-Apple products in the home anyway, so why not? And in 3-5 years, when Apple eliminates Bluetooth from their phones.... meh, I barely use it anyway.

>What they do are buy headphone amps - or custom DACS with
>balanced headphone outputs.

Right. Keep excusing Apple with that type of reasoning. You just continue to prove my point.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Sat Nov-05-16 01:46 AM

46. "Apple Now Officially Dongle Company That Happens to Make Computers "
In response to Reply # 37
Sat Nov-05-16 01:49 AM by wallysmith

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/238878-apple-now-officially-dongle-company-happens-make-smartphones-computers

Holy shit. The dongle backlash has gotten so bad they're offering dongle discounts to try and appease the dongle dependents.

Between Donglegate and and the federal crime if you bring a Note 7 onto a plane, Google is dancing with their Pixel right now.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14580 posts
Thu Sep-15-16 09:49 AM

43. "Sammy too, maybe."
In response to Reply # 3

http://phandroid.com/2016/09/14/samsung-rumored-to-be-working-on-a-proprietary-headphone-jack/

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Sep-15-16 10:24 AM

44. "If that's the case, then that's shitty of Google too."
In response to Reply # 43

There's no way Samsung does this without Google's blessing, because if they did it unilaterally everyone's just going to buy from another manufacturer.

I would be very disappointed if this were the case.

liveguy
8002 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:50 PM

6. "airpods for $159....whaaaaaaaaaaaaaTTT?!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Apple is TRIPPING!

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:55 PM

10. "Yeah...a wireless version of their crappy earpods shouldn't "
In response to Reply # 6

cost that much, especially when the PowerBeats are available for $120 and it's the same company...

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 11:49 AM

28. "basically"
In response to Reply # 10

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:53 PM

7. "I wish they would have made the base 64GB."
In response to Reply # 0

I'll definitely get the 128.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 10:14 AM

26. "agreed. if 128 is the new "middle", why not?"
In response to Reply # 7

Apple could have undercut the shit out of the competition

"you can get 64GB, while Samsung charges you..."

Splinter.
Member since Oct 22nd 2007
54 posts
Fri Sep-09-16 10:55 AM

34. "Because the margins are better on the 128GB"
In response to Reply # 26

and that difference in storage will push people to upgrade to the higher tier.

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:55 PM

9. "Hmm...I think I'll just be holding on to my 6s for a while. "
In response to Reply # 0

I'm in that Apple program where you can get the new phone every year but I still need the headphone jack and I don't take very many photos with my phone.

liveguy
8002 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:57 PM

11. "^^This"
In response to Reply # 9

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 02:00 PM

13. "I can't think of a feature in any iPhone that made me *want* to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed Sep-07-16 02:00 PM by Mafamaticks

It's just been, "eh, that's cool" for the past couple iPhones

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 06:22 PM

18. "Basically."
In response to Reply # 9

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44802 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 07:11 PM

19. "that 256 GB is very tempting for me."
In response to Reply # 9

I'm using almost all of the 64GB on my iPhone 6S+. I use bluetooth headphones so the minijack is a nonissue for me.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 11:50 AM

29. "Ditto"
In response to Reply # 9

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 12:32 PM

31. "It's been a 2 year upgrade cycle for me since the iPhone 4."
In response to Reply # 9

Actually since the 3G came out. I've skipped all of the "s" releases. The incremental yearly updates haven't been enough to have me upgrade, but after two years it's time to move.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 01:59 PM

12. "Kill the headphone jack for another speaker?"
In response to Reply # 0

Apple loves this proprietary stuff. Sony did it for years and got reamed for it. Apple will get away with it because it's an iPhone. Sad, really

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 02:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I don't know if they will get away with it."
In response to Reply # 12

>Apple loves this proprietary stuff. Sony did it for years and
>got reamed for it. Apple will get away with it because it's an
>iPhone. Sad, really

I think they might have overstepped with their 'courage'; headphones are a big big business and people have invested much cash in em...they are fashion accessories as much as they are utilitarian and I dont think people are going to take kindly to a 20 dollar (is it more?) adapter or headphones that cost 200 bucks to replace the ones they bought last year for 100.

Considering it requires a good amount of charging for use pure wireless headphones aren't exactly a perfect replacement...i wouldnt be surprised if the feature gets put back with the rumored Iphone 8 in 2017 (since next year is a full ten years of iphone apparently there is another major form factor planned)

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 05:24 PM

16. "Sony could never make it stick, apple does. *shrug*"
In response to Reply # 12

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spenzalii
10978 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 06:07 PM

17. "Sony never had a 'must have' product either"
In response to Reply # 16

At least not since, say, the OG Walkman. But Apple made the de facto mp3 player and became the de facto smartphone while Androis, Windows Mobile and WebOS were still getting their acts together. So, the masses accept whatever Apple feeds them, while Sony didn't have anything to make that same kind of mass market penetration

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 12:29 PM

30. "^^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 17

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Sun Sep-11-16 05:24 PM

38. "when the iphone was getting going"
In response to Reply # 17

every other phone was still using proprietary chargers too.

if they had settled on microusb earlier....

that apple's never played nicely in the years since is....

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spenzalii
10978 posts
Sun Sep-11-16 07:41 PM

39. "True. But they were just using the 30 pin to USB"
In response to Reply # 38

And since the the iPod was stomping out all matter of mp3 players, that took. But at least they were using USB though (they couldn't make FireWire become a mass market thing). Once they went Lightning, it was like putting the tip in to see how far consumers would take it. So now this is happening

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 08:48 PM

21. "So much for Nintendo bringing nuance to mobile gaming"
In response to Reply # 0

Didnt they say something to the effect of not wanting to make a genre game with a nintendo skin

Dr Claw
132212 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 10:12 AM

25. "as said elsewhere: 256GB is HUUUUUUGE (no Drumpf-o)"
In response to Reply # 0

of course, you're paying Note 7 money for that
but while you can just throw in a 200GB microSD to offset the storage space, that's still extra money.

also, good riddance to 16GB iPhones -- that's too much money for too little storage.

interesting that 128GB is the midgrade.

fuck a dongle, fuck $160 earbuds. don't care about that gimmick

give me a solid phone with a gang of storage and a good camera.

I'm Android 4 Life

but I've been anxious about a world where my phone will have to be "The One Device". and the car experience is much better with Apple products.

Well, except for the infotainment. Android Auto > CarPlay.

But if you're not using smartphone-launched infotainment, iPhone >>>>>>

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Fri Sep-09-16 08:48 AM

33. "Why won't Apple let me preorder an unlocked phone without "
In response to Reply # 0

carrier information?

My phone is a personal phone that I pay for myself, but the carrier service is through my job on a corporate account. (They give us phones too, but if you want the most up to date phones you gotta buy yourself.)

When I went to preorder it wanted to know what carrier I had, and then the zip code and last 4 of the social security number of the account holder which needed to be verified - to buy an unlocked, carrier free phone?

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Sun Sep-11-16 11:59 AM

35. "I agree - but it's ALWAYS been like this"
In response to Reply # 33

They will give sell you an unlocked phone at launch - but not SIM free.

Last year it took two weeks before they sold SIM free one: https://9to5mac.com/2015/10/08/sim-free-unlocked-iphone-6s/.

It took 4 months for the 6 https://www.engadget.com/2015/01/06/apple-sim-free-iphone6/.

It took 2 months for the 5s.

I'm sure it's due to some business BULLSHIT. I have called 1-800-MY-APPLE and complained the last 3 years.

Also, whats weird is that there are several different models of iPhones with different radio bands - it's not un-confusing: http://www.redmondpie.com/the-difference-between-unlocked-t-mobile-and-sim-free-iphone-6-6-plus-explained/

------------

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Sun Sep-11-16 03:19 PM

36. "Gotcha. Yeah I figured it had to be some type of agreement between "
In response to Reply # 35

them and the carriers. So I gotta wait. I just wish I knew how long.

Dr Claw
132212 posts
Mon Sep-12-16 07:33 AM

40. "They really gotta let people do this more often."
In response to Reply # 33

especially since we live in the age of "no subsidies"

and Apple basically doesn't do anything special for the carriers (software wise)...

I'm slowly figuring out ways to retire "carrier" phones and get the unlocked versions (now that those that work with #DogBark Wireless are becoming more common).

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14580 posts
Mon Sep-12-16 08:54 AM

41. "Upgrading my 6 Plus to 7 Plus 256GB Jet Black"
In response to Reply # 0

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Sun Sep-18-16 02:08 PM

45. "Picked up an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Matte Black (AT&T)"
In response to Reply # 0

There's a "special" reservation page you can check in the morning (times vary) where you can reserve a phone for same bday pickup if they have stock. The page and checkout options will indicate it's for the iPhone Upgrade Plan - but you *can* flat out buy it cash once you get to the store.

The "special page" shows inventory right now - the "normal" one does not. They're giving people in the upgrade program a leg up (they sent an email with that link if you're in the program.) The "normal" page is for normal schlubs unless you got the link somehow.

The "special" page is: https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?channel=1&iPP=U

The "normal" page is: https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?channel=1

And the upgrade program might be a better deal (if you plan on buying Apple Care anyway) because it's a %0 interest loan that basically pays for half of the cost of the phone when upgrading. But you also have the option to just pay the phone off and then sell it on the secondary market if you think you can get more money that way.

------------

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 12:23 PM

47. "2017 and the phone is a champ ... but..."
In response to Reply # 0

1 thing is bad - there are no MiFi certified lightning extension cables to use for the headphones. So if you need an extension you have to buy something off eBay or Amazon 3rd party sellers.

You could always use the dongle and get an extension for a non-lighting headset - but this is still wack.

------------

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Wed Jan-04-17 04:56 PM

48. "It was too early for them to take away the headphone jack."
In response to Reply # 47

I definitely see where they were going, and bluetooth/wireless is obviously the future, but it was still too early. Maybe by the next release there will be enough of a choice in accessories - increased battery life in bt headphones, better ways to handle car integration if your car doesn't come standard with bluetooth audio, etc. But this was early.

Dr Claw
132212 posts
Wed Jan-18-17 01:11 PM

49. "^^^^ "
In response to Reply # 48

>I definitely see where they were going, and
>bluetooth/wireless is obviously the future, but it was still
>too early. Maybe by the next release there will be enough of a
>choice in accessories - increased battery life in bt
>headphones, better ways to handle car integration if your car
>doesn't come standard with bluetooth audio, etc. But this was
>early.

Lobby High-Tech topic #300570 Previous topic | Next topic