Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #300332

Subject: "Another Metroid II Remake" Previous topic | Next topic
IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 04:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Another Metroid II Remake"

Metroid turned 30 on Saturday. Nintendo didn't celebrate that because Nintendo don't give a fuck about Metroid. But there's an Agentinian cat known as DoctorM64 who does give a fuck about Metroid. He gives so much of a fuck that he spent the last eight years of his life remaking Metroid II (the Gameboy game) in the style of Metroid: Zero Mission (the Gameboy Advance game). From scratch. By himself.

Here's the website for the project:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

He released it on Metroid's birthday. It's been getting universal acclaim since. Some are even arguing it's the best Metroid game ever, and while I won't go that far, I can see where they're coming from. I don't say that lightly. Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. Full stop.

So of course Nintendo shut it down on Monday. I mean, I understand they had to. It was getting hella publicity and being widely distributed, so they couldn't just pretend like their IP wasn't being infringed upon. And now it's gone. Forever. It barely lived an entire weekend.

It's a tragedy, but please, do not inbox me asking where you can get either the Windows or OS X versions of AM2R because I do not know. I seriously have no idea. Actually, just forget that I ever mentioned that this elegant love letter to a genre-defining franchise even exists, because it doesn't anymore. Okay?

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn.
Aug 12th 2016
Not just a resurgence of sidescrollers in general
Aug 14th 2016
It probably won't happen but it would be cool if Nintendo okay'd this ga...
Aug 14th 2016
SERIOUSLY GUYS, I DON'T HAVE AM2R FOR WINDOWS AND MAC
Aug 14th 2016
aye
Aug 15th 2016
Came here to see if anyone posted about it
Aug 14th 2016
I've only played a few minutes myself
Aug 14th 2016
Metroid II was the first one i ever played
Aug 15th 2016

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 06:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "damn."
In response to Reply # 0

Shame that Nintendo has kinda abandoned this franchise.
I too have Super Metroid in my top 5 of all time.
You'd think now with the resurgence of side scrollers
they'd find a way to bring it back.
I mean, they did it with Mario.

https://digife.com

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sun Aug-14-16 02:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Not just a resurgence of sidescrollers in general"
In response to Reply # 1

but a resurgence of Metroidvanias (as much as I hate that term) in particular. Axiom Verge and Ori and the Blind forest were critical darlings last year. Guacamelee and Shadow Complex got recent rereleases. Headlander, Salt and Sanctuary, and Song of the Deep just came out. Chasm, Bloodstained, and Heart Forth Alicia are hella anticipated Kickstarter successes.

But no new Metroids from Nintendo and no new Castlevanias from Konami.

The genre is alive and well. Actually, it's more alive than it ever was in the 90s. But it's been abandoned by the franchises that established it. The last system both series were active on was the Gameboy Advance.

-30-

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sun Aug-14-16 01:22 AM

2. "It probably won't happen but it would be cool if Nintendo okay'd this ga..."
In response to Reply # 0

8 years spent working on a pet project ought to be rewarded in some capacity, if only to let other's play the game.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sun Aug-14-16 02:41 AM

3. "SERIOUSLY GUYS, I DON'T HAVE AM2R FOR WINDOWS AND MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

SO THERE'S NO WAY I'D BE ABLE TO SHARE IT IF YOU JUST INBOXED ME. BESIDES, THAT WOULD BE MORALLY WRONG. SO DON'T YOU DARE ASK.

-30-

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 09:55 AM

7. "aye"
In response to Reply # 3

win

Organ
Charter member
8739 posts
Sun Aug-14-16 12:26 PM

5. "Came here to see if anyone posted about it "
In response to Reply # 0

Happened to run across it before the inevitable
Haven't played it yet

Knicks yo
Cowboys yo

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sun Aug-14-16 01:58 PM

6. "I've only played a few minutes myself"
In response to Reply # 5

Just to see how nice it played with my controllers.

It feels like Zero Mission. Which is to say, great.

I'll play through the whole game once I finish playing this Super Metroid hack I'm running through.

-30-

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 09:56 AM

8. "Metroid II was the first one i ever played"
In response to Reply # 0

i was 6 and had NO idea how to even begin to play it. i just stayed in the first area near the ship the whole time

Lobby High-Tech topic #300332 Previous topic | Next topic