Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #299868

Subject: "Not really tech, but Gawker filed for bankruptcy (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 12:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Not really tech, but Gawker filed for bankruptcy (swipe)"

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/10/11904728/gawker-media-files-for-bankruptcy

TL;DR - Apparently a guy who made alot of money from Paypal waged a personal war against Gawker Media once they reported on his sexuality. The company has assets of 100M but owes 500M!

Gawker Media files for bankruptcy
By Russell Brandom on June 10, 2016 12:58 pm Email @russellbrandom

Share on Facebook (197) Tweet Share (26) Pin (2)
Gawker Media has filed for bankruptcy, according to documents filed today in Southern District of New York Bankruptcy Court. The filing lists the company's assets as between $50 and $100 million, with liabilities as high as $500 million.

The company's finances are still reeling from a judge's ruling in March that fined the company $140 million for publishing a video of Hulk Hogan having sex. While still subject to appeal, that ruling required the company to present a $50 million bond, a sum that significantly exceeded the company's cash reserves.

The lawsuit was later revealed to be part of a larger punitive legal campaign against the company, secretly funded by Paypal billionaire Peter Thiel. Thiel has admitted to funding the lawsuits as a general campaign against the publication, a decision he came to after a 2006 incident in which a Gawker publication reported on his sexuality. In an interview with The New York Times, Thiel referred to the campaign against Gawker as "one of the best things I've done."

It is still unclear what effect this filing will have on the company's future operations. Legally, the filing will trigger a public auction for ownership of the company's assets, although founder Nick Denton has pledged to continue Gawker's legal fights and publishing operations. According to a Recode report, the company is actively seeking buyers. Publisher Ziff Davis has reportedly offered to buy the company outright for $100 million, although the deal is far from final.

Gawker publications have a long history of often controversial muckraking, breaking stories on The Silk Road, Manti T'eo, and ideological biases in Facebook's Trending Topics module. A number of pundits have raised concerns about the possible chilling effects of Thiel's campaign, including Margaret Sullivan of The Washington Post. "When a vindictive billionaire can muscle his way into a lawsuit with the intention of putting a media company out of business," Sullivan wrote, "there’s reason to worry."

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
fuck Peter Thiel in the goat ass.
Jun 10th 2016
You're not wrong.
Jun 10th 2016
This is happening because he got TMZ'd tho.
Jun 10th 2016
      Right.
Jun 10th 2016
      and I would have defended him on these grounds. he overstepped.
Jun 10th 2016
I've always felt the good Gawker does far out weighs the bad
Jun 10th 2016
all of those sites are gonna be ass when they're sold off.
Jun 10th 2016
When it comes crashing down and it hurts inside
Jun 10th 2016

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "fuck Peter Thiel in the goat ass."
In response to Reply # 0

I hope that dude gets TMZ'd doing some real dirtbag shit.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 02:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "You're not wrong."
In response to Reply # 1

Interesting perspective on Thiel's proxy war with the media:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-peter-thiels-gawker-battle-could-open-a-war-against-the-press?

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "This is happening because he got TMZ'd tho."
In response to Reply # 1

I think what Thiel is doing is pretty dangerous for free speech, but Gawker has made a name for itself by completely disregarding a major journalistic ethical code: minimize harm.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 05:56 PM

6. "Right. "
In response to Reply # 5

Gawker did bring the Hogan case on themselves, but media companies being silenced does do more harm to the notion of speech across the society than the obvious pain this guy felt because of Gawker's story.

Spec-fiction books of the past dealt with Government silencing of the media. The real life problem turned out to be some rich guy who carried a grudge.

Really troubling.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 07:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "and I would have defended him on these grounds. he overstepped."
In response to Reply # 5

fuck him in the ass with a rusty drill bit.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 02:18 PM

3. "I've always felt the good Gawker does far out weighs the bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Deadspin, Kotaku, to a certain extent Jezebel and i09 and I can't see what harm Jalopnik poses to anyone... they have their dark, shady dealings but I really enjoy their aesthetic and the way they cover the reporting of other, more reputable news sources. I'm sure there are other sites that attempt to both break news and, for lack of a better term, attempt to be ombudsman for the rest of the news, but I find the way Gawker does it to be really appealing.

Except when it's not. They should have never published the video of Hogan, the transcripts were enough and they had the video to prove it was accurate behind closed doors should anyone come knocking. The world didn't need to see that; I still haven't.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 07:27 PM

8. "all of those sites are gonna be ass when they're sold off."
In response to Reply # 3

the thing I enjoyed about both Jalopnik, and especially Jezebel and Deadspin is how their headlines, while in so many ways clickbait, were written how people actually speak -- a finger in the eye of the mainstream media. Kotaku didn't really do it that much, but I enjoyed them because they were a finger in the eye of some other "status quo" entities as well

the actual Gawker site I didn't really read all that much unless it got shared on Twitter or something, but its spinoffs were fire.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Fri Jun-10-16 02:39 PM

4. "When it comes crashing down and it hurts inside"
In response to Reply # 0

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

Lobby High-Tech topic #299868 Previous topic | Next topic