Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #299861

Subject: "If you haven't given DOOM a shot yet, give it two shots." Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Thu Jun-09-16 10:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"If you haven't given DOOM a shot yet, give it two shots."

I bought it day one but my girlfriend isn't a huge fan of loud gun noises or industrial music so I've been moving through it a few levels at a time and, while it's got its few flaws (the primary one I think anyone who's played the game will agree on is the 3D map is somewhat confusing and makes it harder to figure out where things are than they should be sometimes), this game is a pure adrenaline rush not to mention a major shot of nostalgia. The gist:

• 1080p, 60fps. Plays and looks like the DOOM you imagined in your head while playing DOOM

• To that end, there's no reloading, no aim down sights (except for one of the Gausse Cannon's upgrades)

• Most importantly, no regenerating health. You perform "glory kills" (MK9-like melee fatalities you can only do after an enemy has taken enough damage) that cause enemies to drop health, and there are the usual health/armor packs strewn across the arenas. Once you acquire the chainsaw, it also functions as a limited use, one-stop shop for ammo and health drops from an enemy of any size (presuming you have enough fuel to cut through the enemy you're trying to attack). This feeds into a pretty intoxicating loop of long range and close range combat that reconciles the classic elements of DOOM with modern gameplay design without a hitch.

• The soundtrack is incredible. I've never heard of the artist but it's clearly hearkening back to Trent Reznor's mid-90s period (and work with id on their masterworks) while nodding to the debt today's dubstep scene owes the rough edges of that industrial era.

• In attempting to tell a story, it pivots entirely from DOOM 3 and appears to pick up several years after DOOM 2. What little story there is essentially boils down to how DOOM 1 and 2 were a pair of the most influential games of all time and it's fucking rad that they came out. This is a game with a security system that repeatedly announces "demonic invasion is at unsafe levels" and you will chuckle to yourself every time.

• The enemies compliment each other in some very smart ways and once things really get rolling it's clear that, much like DOOM, you'll want to play certain levels again and again on higher and higher difficulties just to master what's being asked of you.

• In fact, much like the OG DOOMs/Wolfenstein 3D, the medium difficulty is primarily a training ground, implying the true game that lies beyond. With all the hell swirling around, it's an enjoyable meta commentary on the game they've made.

I'm only halfway through the game and just collected a certain fucking gun (it is genius the reverence paid to this gun in universe, by the way) but I'm confident it's only going to keep getting better. I just wish I had more time in large chunks to devote to it. Like I said, I have my gripes. The map kind of sucks and the emphasis on collectibles will have you pulling it up just as often as you would in The Witcher or Shadow of Mordor which is a bummer. I haven't spent much time in Hell yet but compared to Mars it's one of the least engrossing environments to look at perhaps this generation of consoles will ever see (I'm playing on PS4 but I don't see this game being one that is leaps and bounds prettier on a PC).

But the GAME ITSELF is SO DAMN GOOD that anyone with even the most remote fondness for DOOM and what DOOM meant for the future of video games really needs to give this game a shot. This is inarguably the best a game that took 8 years to make could have possibly turned out. Easy Game of the Year contender so far.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I appreciate the thorough breakdown.
Jun 12th 2016
It's $40 on Amazon right now.
Jun 12th 2016
It's so damed good
Jun 13th 2016
Picked it up for $35 on the steam sale
Jun 24th 2016
uggh i was about to talk myself into it when it was 40
Jun 24th 2016
played last night for about an hour
Jun 24th 2016
I can see that, maybe
Jun 25th 2016
      Of all the games you mentioned...
Jun 29th 2016
Half off Amazon =$30
Jul 12th 2016
$20 on Amazon
Aug 25th 2016
1 million owners on Steam
Aug 26th 2016
Hmm. I wonder why it keeps going on sale.
Aug 27th 2016
Saw that earlier. Copped.
Aug 26th 2016

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Sun Jun-12-16 12:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I appreciate the thorough breakdown."
In response to Reply # 0

It looks good, and I do romanticize the Doom/Quake/Unreal days in comparison to today's tactical/loadout shooters. I probably won't pay retail, but I'll keep an eye on sales.

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Sun Jun-12-16 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "It's $40 on Amazon right now. "
In response to Reply # 1

http://amzn.to/1U82Cuz

TAYREL713
Charter member
1120 posts
Mon Jun-13-16 07:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "It's so damed good"
In response to Reply # 0

Better than it has any right to be. Though I guess after the Wolfenstein reboot I should have been on this as that was so good. ZeniMax/Bethesda is kind of killing it.

stayskrunchyinmilk.com

Nintendo Network ID-TAYREL713
XBL-TAYREL713
PSN-TAYREL713
Steam-TAYREL713
3DS Friend Code-2294-4970-5921

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 06:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Picked it up for $35 on the steam sale"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes!

My god this game is great. It doesn't have any business being this damn good, but it is. Cranked up the surround sound headphones and dove in and now I know where my entire weekend is going.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 01:18 PM

5. "uggh i was about to talk myself into it when it was 40"
In response to Reply # 4

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 06:50 PM

6. "played last night for about an hour"
In response to Reply # 0

and i was pretty bored to be honest. really though i think i'm just not feeling FPS games much anymore.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Sat Jun-25-16 03:00 PM

7. "I can see that, maybe"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Jun-25-16 03:01 PM by Nodima

I mean, in DOOM's defense, it doesn't play like any post-Modern Warfare, hell post-Halo FPS I can think of.

But I also don't play many FPS games in general, I think I can count the FPS' I've beaten in the HD generation on one hand (I played Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer at a friend's dorm a few times and didn't get into it):

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (I'll likely get the deluxe pre-order of Infinite Warfare A) because it looks pretty cool and B) I want to see if my memories of the Modern Warfare campaign hold up)

• Destiny

• Bioshock: Infinite (I got the other two for free via PS+ at some point and bailed from both an hour or two in; LOVED Infinite though)

(already I have to go look up trophies to remember any others...)

• Killzone 2

• Killzone

Almost thought I'd have to cheat and include GTA V's PS4 remaster to hit five.

I tried a few more, like Borderlands 1 and 2 when they were PS+ games and dropped them after a couple hours. I also bought Far Cry 4 off the hype of it and 3 only to burn out after 7-ish hours.

FPS games usually don't resonate with me in general (I've been hesitant to take advantage of Wolfenstein on various sales forEVER) so it's hard to be fatigued by the general premise of them in my case.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed Jun-29-16 02:16 AM

8. "Of all the games you mentioned... "
In response to Reply # 7

The Bioshock series is the only one I really liked. All the newer MW games, Far Cry games, Borderlands, etc... None of them were that fun to me. Only Halo have I enjoyed, but I remember even playing through the newer ones not having as much fun as the previous games. Bioshock stands out because it has the story and design to match the great game play. Infinite was incredible.

>I mean, in DOOM's defense, it doesn't play like any
>post-Modern Warfare, hell post-Halo FPS I can think of.
>
>But I also don't play many FPS games in general, I think I can
>count the FPS' I've beaten in the HD generation on one hand (I
>played Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer at a friend's dorm a few
>times and didn't get into it):
>
>• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (I'll likely get the deluxe
>pre-order of Infinite Warfare A) because it looks pretty cool
>and B) I want to see if my memories of the Modern Warfare
>campaign hold up)
>
>• Destiny
>
>• Bioshock: Infinite (I got the other two for free via PS+
>at some point and bailed from both an hour or two in; LOVED
>Infinite though)
>
>(already I have to go look up trophies to remember any
>others...)
>
>• Killzone 2
>
>• Killzone
>
>Almost thought I'd have to cheat and include GTA V's PS4
>remaster to hit five.
>
>I tried a few more, like Borderlands 1 and 2 when they were
>PS+ games and dropped them after a couple hours. I also bought
>Far Cry 4 off the hype of it and 3 only to burn out after
>7-ish hours.
>
>FPS games usually don't resonate with me in general (I've been
>hesitant to take advantage of Wolfenstein on various sales
>forEVER) so it's hard to be fatigued by the general premise of
>them in my case.
>
>~~~~~~~~~
>"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
>http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
>Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 03:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Half off Amazon =$30"
In response to Reply # 0

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 11:24 PM

10. "$20 on Amazon"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm guessing this game didn't sell all that well, eh?

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 12:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "1 million owners on Steam"
In response to Reply # 10

that's not a Blizzard title, but I'm imagining that's a strong number combined with PS4 sales.

--------

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Sat Aug-27-16 07:36 PM

13. "Hmm. I wonder why it keeps going on sale. "
In response to Reply # 11

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 03:23 PM

12. "Saw that earlier. Copped."
In response to Reply # 10

n/m

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Lobby High-Tech topic #299861 Previous topic | Next topic