Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #299574

Subject: "How did ______ manage to miss inventing ____________. " Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Apr-26-16 02:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How did ______ manage to miss inventing ____________. "

How did Microsoft not come out with a popular dropbox like product before dropbox? Like the briefcase was on microsoft desktops probably a decade before dropbox came along and made it all so simple.

How did blackberry and/or Palm not beat Apple to the popular keyless smartphone?

How did Microsoft not come up with the idea of a centralized store to sell applications for it's OS to the public? Doesn't it seem like a no brainer to say hey we can get a cut of every software sold if we were the store selling it?

I think Microsoft would be in alot of these for missing the boat (and Apple for making the popular product).

I am not a huge apple fan but I wonder how it took them to be the first to realize the value to selling their products in elegant boxes?

Anyway, got some more?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
microsoft did make dropbox before dropbox
Apr 27th 2016
You're right about Microsoft missing the boat on alot of impactful inven...
Apr 28th 2016
Blackberry's fuckup is one for the ages
May 03rd 2016

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Apr-27-16 12:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "microsoft did make dropbox before dropbox"
In response to Reply # 0

it was called windows live folders, then skydrive (at launch in 07, dropbox launched in 08), then onedrive.

but it was tied to windows, dropbox wasn't.

that's frequently the answer, microsoft wanted to build up windows, dropbox wanted to build a product that worked on all devices at the exact time when people were moving beyond their pcs.

even if microsoft had executed a better cross platform vision from the start, people didn't really want it from them.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 07:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "You're right about Microsoft missing the boat on alot of impactful inven..."
In response to Reply # 0

Read the oral history at this link, if you want to read about a lot of Microsoft's missteps over the years:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer

Apparently, Windows Vista was supposed to look and act like Mac OS (then OS X) but it never worked as well as MS would have liked.

Then they dropped the ball on the smartphone.

You may remember MS having a PDA. (Kind of like a Palm, or a version of a touchscreen device about ten years before the iPhone)

Microsoft had a device running something called Windows CE, their version of an OS that ran on smartphones, but it got mired in delays.

They also had a device that was a forerunner to the Kindle, but it also got mired in delays because Gates wanted something more like Windows, rather than the easier to use OS the developers of the device used.

Sega not perfecting the CD as a format for gaming might be a gaming related misstep. The Sega CD and also the Dreamcast were way ahead of the curve as far as technology, but the Sony products were simply better realized. (and marketed)

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Blackberry's fuckup is one for the ages"
In response to Reply # 0

They were the ones to bring 'smart' phones to the mainstream...and proceeded to make every wrong mistake possible.

They just got cocky; didn't believe in the Apple tech when it was rumored and took their time because they had such a huge market share. People forget also that Nokia had fantastic phones around that time and got mollywopped too when the Apple and subsequent Android trains rolled through.

>How did Microsoft not come out with a popular dropbox like
>product before dropbox? Like the briefcase was on microsoft
>desktops probably a decade before dropbox came along and made
>it all so simple.
>
>How did blackberry and/or Palm not beat Apple to the popular
>keyless smartphone?
>
>How did Microsoft not come up with the idea of a centralized
>store to sell applications for it's OS to the public? Doesn't
>it seem like a no brainer to say hey we can get a cut of every
>software sold if we were the store selling it?
>
>I think Microsoft would be in alot of these for missing the
>boat (and Apple for making the popular product).
>
>I am not a huge apple fan but I wonder how it took them to be
>the first to realize the value to selling their products in
>elegant boxes?
>
>Anyway, got some more?
>
>
>
>
>
>