Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #299481

Subject: "Dark Souls III" Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Wed Apr-13-16 10:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dark Souls III"

Anyone playing?

I keep playing this and having flashbacks to part 2, which I loved and was the first one I beat. Played part 1 but never beat it.

They've done away with the limited respawns this time around so it'll be an interesting journey.

Graphics look great and the world looks deep and I've just scratched the surface.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Dark Souls III
Apr 13th 2016
Seems great
Apr 14th 2016
!!!
Apr 14th 2016
      It's Assassin's starting sorcery
Apr 14th 2016
Really enjoying this.........
Apr 28th 2016
ok i'm in. you can buy the dark hand from the first vendor in the game
May 25th 2016
Man, that's a decent build
May 27th 2016
      it's just okay in practice. i find i'm playing more cowardly than usual
May 27th 2016
           DEX isn't quite AGI...
May 27th 2016
somehow ended up with an invisible pyro build
May 30th 2016
yeah, you're doing better than me....
May 31st 2016
      RE: yeah, you're doing better than me....
May 31st 2016

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Wed Apr-13-16 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Dark Souls III"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-13-16 03:30 PM by bearfield

>Anyone playing?

i would be playing but my pc died over the weekend. hopefully i will get it working before saturday. i think it will end up working out since the PC version seems to be fairly broken right now. with any luck i'll be up and running in time for a patch or two

>I keep playing this and having flashbacks to part 2, which I
>loved and was the first one I beat. Played part 1 but never
>beat it.

interesting. most reviews and accounts i've read make it sound like 3 is way more 1 than it is 2. what about 3 puts you in mind of 2?

Auk_The_Blind
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
1282 posts
Thu Apr-14-16 02:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Seems great"
In response to Reply # 0

The new weapon art system is a bit tough to get used to, but otherwise the gameplay is a huge refinement of the Dark Souls style. You can tell Bloodborne influenced it a lot, but it's back to DS1's emphasis on more conservative 1v1 combat, and the level design has been stellar so far (about 4 bosses in).

Went with an Assassin and goddamn do I get myself into some dumb shit thanks to Spook (which lets you survive any fall and move silently).

bearfield
8049 posts
Thu Apr-14-16 03:27 PM

3. "!!!"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Apr-14-16 03:27 PM by bearfield

>Went with an Assassin and goddamn do I get myself into some
>dumb shit thanks to Spook (which lets you survive any fall and
>move silently).

is this one of those FP meter abilities? it sounds broken (i mean that in a good way)

Auk_The_Blind
1282 posts
Thu Apr-14-16 03:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It's Assassin's starting sorcery"
In response to Reply # 3

Not "broken" per se, but definitely lets you navigate in a less linear manner.

WarriorPoet415
17895 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 08:51 AM

5. "Really enjoying this........."
In response to Reply # 0

I was a little daunted cause while I played the first Dark Souls, I didn't really get far or delve deep into it.

Dark Souls 2, I got deep. But the limited enemy respawns helped. A lot. But going back to infinity spawns has forced me to think a bit more, and refine strategy.

It'll be slow going for me to a degree, but i'm loving it. In Undead Settlement right now.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

bearfield
8049 posts
Wed May-25-16 02:23 PM

6. "ok i'm in. you can buy the dark hand from the first vendor in the game"
In response to Reply # 0

this is the kind of fan service i can get behind

playing as a pyromancer. very happy to learn that great combustion is still broken. going with raw weapons for now with the intention of transitioning to int/faith weapons later in the game to complement my pyro build (all in on int/faith after meeting a few requirement thresholds on the other stats). currently in undead settlement, having just made it to the ravine section. i still need to kill that weird frostbite thing at the bottom of the tower and i think there is a boss on the other side of the map that i have yet to meet. linked up with sieg**** and killed that boss. i suppose i'll be meeting up with siggy later

i'm really enjoying this game now. i was kind of ambivalent for the first few hours b/c of how explicit and accessible it is but thinking of it as a "greatest hits"/victory lap of from games put it in to perspective for me. i wonder what first time players think of this game. it seems like nearly everything is a reference to a previous entry in the series

WarriorPoet415
17895 posts
Fri May-27-16 10:24 AM

7. "Man, that's a decent build"
In response to Reply # 6

Was watching a pre-release playthrough by a dude with a pyro build. That shit comes in handy.

I went with an assassin's build high on stamina a vitality. poured enough points into another stat to get pyromancy and the ability to flame up my weapons with gives like +100 damage.

Went with raw weapons for my build as they do the most all around damage. Started with a broad sword, swapped out later for a Dark Sword. Found a few good soul farming spots. Got a couple of boss weapons, but they are meh.

Summoning sucks this time around. Right now stuck on the boss fight for the dancer of the boreal valley. Who isn't even that hard pattern wise, but for some reason switches up. Or maybe I just suck. Can't summon help for shit. They need to get their servers together.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

bearfield
8049 posts
Fri May-27-16 04:24 PM

8. "it's just okay in practice. i find i'm playing more cowardly than usual"
In response to Reply # 7

fireball is great for most enemies but pretty bad for bosses. i ended up kiting the frostbite thing at the bottom of the tower for like 3-4 minutes. throw a fireball, run away, and hit him with another fireball as he's resetting. did the same thing to the dude at the bottom of the elevator in lothric until he fell down. i think i'm going to have to redact my statement that great combustion was "still broken" b/c it seems way slower than in DS1. damage is fantastic though. much better than any weapon i have. i'm mid-rolling right now but i may end up going for a fast roll to better position myself for great combustion attacks

>Went with raw weapons for my build as they do the most all
>around damage. Started with a broad sword, swapped out later
>for a Dark Sword. Found a few good soul farming spots. Got a
>couple of boss weapons, but they are meh.

i haven't seen any boss weapons worth making just yet. the spear from the tree seemed interesting but i wasn't about to dump 5 points into dex (agi?) just to try it out. i assume i will be able to forge a good catalyst at some point

>Summoning sucks this time around. Right now stuck on the boss
>fight for the dancer of the boreal valley. Who isn't even that
>hard pattern wise, but for some reason switches up. Or maybe I
>just suck. Can't summon help for shit. They need to get their
>servers together.

yeah it's been pretty inconsistent for me. had a lot of trouble summoning for the tree fight. haven't summoned at any other point

Auk_The_Blind
1282 posts
Fri May-27-16 11:34 PM

9. "DEX isn't quite AGI..."
In response to Reply # 8

...though it does increase your cast speed, thus caster builds usually want about 20 or so to max out cast speed (in concert with items that buff cast speed).

bearfield
8049 posts
Mon May-30-16 11:43 PM

10. "somehow ended up with an invisible pyro build"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-30-16 11:46 PM by bearfield

it's really strong. spook + hidden body renders me mostly undetectable so i simply bypass the enemies while looting everything. when i do need to fight i have a strongly reinforced pyro glove and raw long sword, great magic weapon, and lloyd's sword ring. i breezed through the catacombs and smouldering lake with 450 HP. i'm sure i'm going to hit a wall at some point but i love the fact that this build is possible. this is what i missed most from bloodborne

WarriorPoet415
17895 posts
Tue May-31-16 10:30 AM

11. "yeah, you're doing better than me...."
In response to Reply # 10

I guess I need to be more efficient in my builds. I see walkthroughs on Yahoo with dudes who are way below me in soul level. One guy I watch is at a point where he needs 30k souls to level up. I'm at the same point and need 40K points to level.

Plus I spent some time soul farming and mid build on my assassin decided to go pyro and dumped a lot into it.

That being said I have a really high vigor and stamina for attacks, good bow, pyro to flame up my +9 raw Dark Sword. Might still got a re-spec a few things for shits and giggles.

then again, i tend to wallow in games. Love when you can explore and experiment. But now I jive wanna get to the end. I'm in the Dragon Barracks now.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

bearfield
8049 posts
Tue May-31-16 01:52 PM

12. "RE: yeah, you're doing better than me...."
In response to Reply # 11

>I guess I need to be more efficient in my builds. I see
>walkthroughs on Yahoo with dudes who are way below me in soul
>level. One guy I watch is at a point where he needs 30k souls
>to level up. I'm at the same point and need 40K points to
>level.

however you make it through the game is fine. it's doesn't really matter which build you use

my build is "efficient" (read: cheesy) because i've logged something like 400 hours between DS1, 2, 3, and bloodborne. if i didn't have all those hours logged and didn't have a strong understanding of all the mechanics and systems i would probably have a weird "inefficient" build like i did the first time i played through DS1

>Plus I spent some time soul farming and mid build on my
>assassin decided to go pyro and dumped a lot into it.
>
>That being said I have a really high vigor and stamina for
>attacks, good bow, pyro to flame up my +9 raw Dark Sword.
>Might still got a re-spec a few things for shits and giggles.

sounds like a recipe for success to me. you may not get too deep into NG+ with so many points in non-damage stats but you should be able to get through the game just fine

>then again, i tend to wallow in games. Love when you can
>explore and experiment. But now I jive wanna get to the end.
>I'm in the Dragon Barracks now.

i'm actually super excited to beat the game with my current coward build so i can go in the complete opposite direction for a new NG. something like a really tanky faith build. just sit there and trade blows with enemies while slow healing

Lobby High-Tech topic #299481 Previous topic | Next topic