Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #299273

Subject: "PS4.5 / XBOX One+: Upgraded systems coming? (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36963 posts
Sat Mar-19-16 12:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"PS4.5 / XBOX One+: Upgraded systems coming? (swipe)"

Sony is reportedly developing a 'PlayStation 4.5' for 4K gaming
http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/18/sony-is-reportedly-developing-a-playstation-4-5-for-4k-gaming/

No Path Forward For An 'Upgraded' PS4 And Xbox One Makes Much Sense
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/03/19/no-path-forward-for-an-upgraded-ps4-and-xbox-one-makes-much-sense/#4699f78f21b6

"This becomes a serious problem if suddenly Sony and Microsoft are developing games that are “better” on these new systems, either visually or otherwise, as early adopters (ie. the 60+ million people who bought a console in the first three years since launch) will be left thinking they have an inferior product. And that’s exactly what they’ll have.

I’ve heard this console-replacement idea described as the “iPhone model,” which has worked wonders for Apple AAPL +0.11%, but would be a very, very hard sell in the console space, given that consumers have been used to 5-8 year console generations since pretty much the dawn of time. Asking consumers to buy an entirely new box every 2-3 years is going to be a bridge too far for many, and it will upset those who bought the millions who bought a new-gen system thinking they were set for this generation. This is not just a slimmer, quieter console, as we often see released mid-generation. This is something that will directly affect the games it plays, which is something else altogether."

https://digife.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Nintendo has been doing it with handhelds for years.
Mar 19th 2016
I'm not sure how it won't fracture the install base.
Mar 20th 2016
If there aren't any games exclusive to the refresh
Mar 20th 2016
My guess
Mar 21st 2016
man i was just about to pull the trigger for the Division
Mar 19th 2016
Several issues with this...
Mar 20th 2016
yeah VR is another reason i'm waiting
Mar 20th 2016
PSVR comes packed in with an external processor
Mar 20th 2016
Yeah, I dunno. 4K seems like a reach.
Mar 22nd 2016

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sat Mar-19-16 01:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Nintendo has been doing it with handhelds for years."
In response to Reply # 0

This is definitely uncharted territory for home consoles, but consoles are like the only consumer electronics that don't upgrade like this.

If the current versions continue to be supported, I think this is fine. If the updated systems just offer 4k and better frame rates for the same games, I have no problem with that and would likely cop. The consoles are a little under powered to last as long as previous gens did, so a refresh could help stretch this cycle out.

If it does end up fracturing the install bases, I do have a problem with that, but I'll still prolly end up coppin anyway.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36963 posts
Sun Mar-20-16 03:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I'm not sure how it won't fracture the install base."
In response to Reply # 1

The only way I think they could do PS4.5/Xbox1.5, in addition to a new SKU, is if you already have a console there's a program that allows you to send it in to get the upgrade.

https://digife.com

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sun Mar-20-16 03:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "If there aren't any games exclusive to the refresh"
In response to Reply # 6

it won't punish current system owners for having the older console.

But there probably would be exclusive games (as is the case with almost every other update like this), so it would be a little shady.

I still hope they do it, tho.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

muzuabo
Member since Dec 03rd 2009
2064 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 04:27 PM

8. "My guess "
In response to Reply # 1

is that they are banking on people with 4K TVs having the disposable income to cop the new systems.

Welcome to income disparity people. They are establishing a baller class. I'm fine with the current gen and don't have a need to upgrade to 4K.

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Sat Mar-19-16 08:01 PM

2. "man i was just about to pull the trigger for the Division"
In response to Reply # 0

think i'll keep playing Fifa 16 on my 360 and wait until 2017 sometime, lol.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Sun Mar-20-16 01:01 AM

3. "Several issues with this..."
In response to Reply # 0

It fragments developers as makes their job harder. It's not easy to just develop for different console iterations.

Consoles aren't smartphones and the audience is not used to repurchasing hardware so soon. Sega tried this and failed.

Are they counting VR as another console? That's the only way this makes sense. PSVR comes out this year so technically this would match the rumor to the extent that new hardware comes out this fall.

Put this tech in the PS5/Xbox Two in 2020.

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Sun Mar-20-16 10:24 AM

4. "yeah VR is another reason i'm waiting"
In response to Reply # 3

I don't want VR tacked on like Xbox did with the kinect. I want it baked in and spec-ed out so i can hit the ground running.

if that means i gotta wait a year or two and pay $500-$1000 i'm ok with that. as long as the experience justifies the price tag.

right now i'm only playing fifa, games aren't really speaking to me like they used to. i need something to bring me back in and i think VR will do it.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Sun Mar-20-16 10:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "PSVR comes packed in with an external processor"
In response to Reply # 3

It'll handle the 3D sound and second screen broadcast. It doesn't add anything to the system itself though.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Tue Mar-22-16 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Yeah, I dunno. 4K seems like a reach. "
In response to Reply # 0

4K gaming on PC is already a very expensive thing. I can't see a mid-cycle spec bump putting the PS4 in that territory. Seems like more of a thing to hope for with a PS5 a few years down the road.

I'd happily be wrong about this tho. My TV is almost 10 and my next set will be 4K for sure.

Lobby High-Tech topic #299273 Previous topic | Next topic