Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #298966

Subject: "Do ad companies sort through a user's browser history to send out emails..." Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Feb-22-16 10:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do ad companies sort through a user's browser history to send out emails..."

The last couple of days, I've noticed newsletters in my email account which *just happen* to match some of the websites that I've visited.

For instance, I looked on Apple.com because I was interested in buying a MacBook and today there's an email from Apple advertising a product. And the other day I signed up for a new hosting service for a domain and now a bunch of emails from other web hosting services are showing up in my inbox.

Is this a coincidence or is there a company that uses browsing patterns as a way to market to users?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
man, ive been getting ads on spotify for snowblowers....
Feb 24th 2016
I don't mind seeing ads, but the emails in my inbox is overstepping
Feb 24th 2016
Cookies
Feb 24th 2016
I use Microsoft's mail client for Windows 10
Feb 24th 2016
i just wish they were more creative with it
Mar 05th 2016

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed Feb-24-16 09:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "man, ive been getting ads on spotify for snowblowers...."
In response to Reply # 0

.....oddly enough, i had been googling and researching what the best ones were about a week before ....same exact thing happened a year prior for lawnmowers

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed Feb-24-16 05:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I don't mind seeing ads, but the emails in my inbox is overstepping"
In response to Reply # 1

I noticed the targeted ads while visiting OKP a while back. Like I would buy a book on Amazon and get ads for similar books here and on a few other sites. But this is the first time I've gotten emails of products via sites that I didn't volunteer my email address to.

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Wed Feb-24-16 01:58 PM

2. "Cookies"
In response to Reply # 0

If you're logged in GMail and you visit a site with a Google Ad Network ad on probably has a hook to send an email you you (hopefully hiding the email address from the ad buyer.)

Or a website you have an account might set a cookie with your email address and might share it with an ad network.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed Feb-24-16 05:29 PM

4. "I use Microsoft's mail client for Windows 10"
In response to Reply # 2

Maybe Microsoft is using that same technology GMail uses in its client as well. I wonder if there's a site that I can visit to opt out of the ad network.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Mar-05-16 03:22 PM

5. "i just wish they were more creative with it"
In response to Reply # 2

i was looking at some sneakers, I need to be inundated with ads for those exact sneakers

why not show me some ads for socks, or sneaker cleaners or i dunno. I JUST BOUGHT THOSE GOD DAMN SNEAKERS STOP SHOWING ME ADS FOR IT

Lobby High-Tech topic #298966 Previous topic | Next topic