Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #298642

Subject: "Specs for video editing?" Previous topic | Next topic
xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 01:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Specs for video editing?"
Mon Jan-04-16 01:44 AM by xangeluvr

any one create and edit videos in here?

i just got a great deal on a dell xps 13 w/i7 (gen 6) and 8gb of ram. i'm curious, mostly about the ram, if that should be enough to run video editing software, render, etc...

i don't plan on doing anything serious, i want to make videos of places that i travel too. i already do a lot of still photography on my travels and thought it would be fun to learn to make short vids as well. as an example, i want to do things like this: https://vimeo.com/philipbloom/kohyaonoi and this: https://vimeo.com/99523009

i went to both these areas this year and wish i could have made something like this.

i don't plan on doing as much (or any) drone work, but that gives you an idea.

suggestions greatly appreciated. i have time to return the dell if i need.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
short answer, yes
Jan 04th 2016
here is link
Jan 04th 2016
      it is
Jan 04th 2016
           RE: it is
Jan 04th 2016

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 05:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "short answer, yes"
In response to Reply # 0

long answer

you'll probably want at least 16
PC laptops are usually a crapshoot in terms of reliability sometimes. dunno how good a Dell laptop is in 2016. dunno what kind of graphics card it comes with.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 07:13 AM

2. "here is link"
In response to Reply # 1

>long answer
>
>you'll probably want at least 16
>PC laptops are usually a crapshoot in terms of reliability
>sometimes. dunno how good a Dell laptop is in 2016. dunno what
>kind of graphics card it comes with.
>

this is what i got a deal on: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd?oc=dncwt5143h&model_id=xps-13-9350-laptop

portability was a big concern which is why i was looking at this, the surface pro 4 and surface book. the dell was by far the cheapest.

how much does the graphics card really matter for the editing of the video though? isn't that more processor and ram intensive?

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 08:40 AM

3. "it is"
In response to Reply # 2

but in terms of actually working on your file i believe Premiere leans on your GPU a little more for previews in you general workflow. don't quote me on that tho.

i'm sure this would be more than adequate. The Surface Pro 4 is actually cheaper, but i'd imagine it would chug trying to run Premiere

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 11:03 AM

4. "RE: it is"
In response to Reply # 3

>but in terms of actually working on your file i believe
>Premiere leans on your GPU a little more for previews in you
>general workflow. don't quote me on that tho.
>
>i'm sure this would be more than adequate. The Surface Pro 4
>is actually cheaper, but i'd imagine it would chug trying to
>run Premiere

Well price wise I didn't pay anywhere close to what's on the link, I got a good deal so SP4 isn't cheaper. Thanks for the input. Will keep researching about video editing.

Lobby High-Tech topic #298642 Previous topic | Next topic