Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #298133

Subject: "Rank these video game series in terms of overall goodness" Previous topic | Next topic
Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 01:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rank these video game series in terms of overall goodness"

I know I'm mixing genres, don't care

Just curious what y'all think, honestly

If you don't want to rank them individually you can
rank tiers or whatever

No criteria, but feel free to share why you feel a
certain way

This is 100% Friday curiosity

Assasin's Creed
Grand Theft Auto
Bioshock
Resident Evil
Gears of War
Halo
Fallout
Metal Gear
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Witcher
God of War
Uncharted
Mass Effect
Far Cry
Batman: Arkham whatevers
Star Wars: Battle whatever

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Here
Nov 13th 2015
This is where I'm at
Nov 13th 2015
MOST RECENT ENTRY IN ORDER OF MY ENTHUSIASM
Nov 13th 2015
Of the ones I've played/own:
Nov 14th 2015
I don't play new games.
Nov 17th 2015
Thank you, Will. To this point:
Nov 17th 2015
      I definitely feel like I'm in the minority
Nov 19th 2015
RE: Rank these video game series in terms of overall goodness
Nov 17th 2015
Based on my enthusiasm for the series....
Nov 17th 2015
Based on my own fun factor
Nov 18th 2015

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 01:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Here"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-13-15 01:49 PM by Paps_Smear

Mass Effect
Metal Gear
Witcher
Tomb Raider
Uncharted
Grand Theft Auto
Fallout
Halo
Resident Evil
Bioshock
Gears of War
Batman: Arkham series
God of War
Far Cry
Star Wars: Battlefront
Assassins Creed

This is a tough ass list to be honest but I think this is my order. Such a good list that I'm not even 100% sure I'd be set on my list in that order because I feel like it changes. The thing is some of these series have what I feel amazing games and then some of them may be absolute shit to me. Take Assassin's Creed for example. Loved 2 and Black Flag, the rest were either meh or I hated.

Mass Effect I loved them all. One of my fav video game series of all times. Out of that list its #1 to me without a shadow of a doubt.

Metal Gear had me since the very first in the solid series back on the PS1 days. The story has a few issues but as far as everything coming together I love reliving those games over and over.

The Witcher had me with 2 and 3. I feel like 3 is my game of the year so far.

Grand Theft Auto speaks for itself.

Resident Evil was only great with 1-4. 5 was straight action and 6 I traded back in after a few hours playing. When it was survival horror it was on top, now its just meh.

Batman's were really good with Asylum, City, and Origins. The latest one was ok but lacked the feel that City had, which i also think is the best one.

Far Cry has solid action and gameplay, too much useless shit and unnecessary busy work.

Assassins Creed (see Far Cry x10)

Those are just a few. Honestly there is at least one game in each of those series that I would consider amazing.

Edit: While we're at it should at least list my fav game out of all of these series

Mass Effect - Mass Effect 2
Metal Gear - Metal Gear Solid 3
Witcher - Witcher 3
Tomb Raider - Rise of the Tomb Raider
Uncharted - Uncharted 2
Grand Theft Auto - Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Fallout - Fallout 4
Halo - Halo 2
Resident Evil - Resident Evil 2
Bioshock - Bioshock Infinite
Gears of War - Gears of War 3
Batman: Arkham series - Arkham City
God of War - God of War 3
Far Cry - Far Cry 3
Star Wars: Battlefront - Battlefront 2 (only because new one isn't out yet)
Assassins Creed - Assassins Creed 2

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

DrunkUncleP
Member since Aug 20th 2013
129 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is where I'm at"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>I know I'm mixing genres, don't care
>
>Just curious what y'all think, honestly
>
>If you don't want to rank them individually you can
>rank tiers or whatever
>
>No criteria, but feel free to share why you feel a
>certain way
>
>This is 100% Friday curiosity

Elite Tier

Metal Gear - set a standard for a cohesive (heh) story across many games over several decades
GTA - Really groundbreaking even with the 2D top down versions and GTA3 revolutionized the industry.
Fallout - Amazing open world games that gives you a lot of choice

Extremely Amazing Tier
Halo - would Xbox even be around were it not for Halo?
Mass Effect - best series of last gen
Uncharted - damn near perfected the cinematic style games
BioShock - it's only 3 games but they're soooo good (2 was a low point, obviously)
Resident Evil - I enjoyed the early games and enjoyed how they revamped things with 4 onward

Very Good Tier
Batman Arkham games - they really got the Batman experience right
Far Cry - I don't have enough experience with these
Tomb Raider - has longevity but a lot of the games before the revamp were trash. Set trends with a female protagonist
Assassin's Creed - same as Tomb Raider. Too many ups and downs in the series.
Gears of War - chainsaw. gun. And they pretty much invented the cover system that ALL shooting games use now.
God of War -
Witcher - Only played 3. Fun so far.

I don't know if Star Wars and/or Battlefront belongs in the discussion. If it's just Star Wars games, there are a lot of trash games but a lot of gems.

------------------------------------------

"And just because I smile they be thinking I be jokin..."

http://twitter.com/DrunkUncleP

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "MOST RECENT ENTRY IN ORDER OF MY ENTHUSIASM"
In response to Reply # 0

1. GTA V
2. Fallout 4
3. Metal Gear Solid V
4. Uncharted 3
5. Mass Effect 3
6. Bioshock Infinite
7. Witcher 3
8. Far Cry 4
9. Star Wars: Battlefront
10. Halo 5
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider
12. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
13. Batman: Arkham Knight
14. Resident Evil: Revelations 2
15. God of War: Ascension
16. Gears of War: Judgment

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Moonlit_Force
Member since Oct 10th 2005
8643 posts
Sat Nov-14-15 03:22 AM

4. "Of the ones I've played/own:"
In response to Reply # 0

1.) Fallout 3 - sheer scope of the game/ replay ability.
2.) GTA ( only enjoyed vice city tho) - same reasons as above
3.) Unchatted - Naughty dog knows what it's doing. TLOU would've topped my
list had you included it. Uncharted takes 3rd slot because I find
certain elements of it silly (especially Drake's Deception).
4.) Resident Evil - Classic revolutionary series that unfortunately fell off
5.) God of War - hasn't aged very well but ay the time of each release? Shit was fun.
Good platforming especially in the second one.
6.) Assasin's Creed - Lots of potential and an intriguing story bit so goddamn repetitive.
I own 1,2,and 3 and can barely get into the third because I feel I've already played this game
too many times.
7.) Tombraider - Only really enjoyed Legend on PS2. Excellent platforming
(better than GoW, but overall the series didn't grab like GoW did).

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 02:53 AM

5. "I don't play new games."
In response to Reply # 0

1. Mass Effect (2+3 only)
- probably my favorite game from last gen. first one has aged terribly and entirely skippable, but the sequel has some of the best characterization in a video game ever. the third has the most polished and fun combat system, while giving you huge pay-offs for all your narrative choices in previous games (I even liked the ending).

2. Metal Gear
- I didn't realize it at the time, but the original Metal Gear Solid for PS was sort of the end of gaming for me. it's one of my favorite games ever, but the whole experience of "making a video game a playable movie" has breed a thousand horrible offspring. enough with the fucking cinematics. the dramatic convoluted storylines. the overdone voice-acting. if I want to see a movie, I'll go see a real movie. I don't want to sit through a video game producer's idea of a movie. Snake Eater was dope though.

3. Bioshock
- engrossing atmosphere games. the actual play mechanics can be really stilted (I believe someone here posted it best, saying the gameplay is a generation behind). it's all about the world around you in this series. first is the best, third really great, and there's no need to play the second one.

4. Resident Evil 4
- fourth one is hands down one of the most fun game experiences of all-time. amazing how many "oh shit" moments they put into one game, without hardly any downtime. the rest of the series isn't very good to me, even though it popularized "survival horror." mainly due to the first three having shitty controls and the latter two never recapturing the magic of 4.

Fallout
- I remember when the *first* Fallout came out. fuck. anyway, I messed with New Vegas for 20 minutes and never got invested. not for me.

Assassin's Creed
- bought one of them on Steam recently and was bored to tears. I can barely make it through these long-cinematic intros with zero action anymore.

Batman: Arkham Series
- tried the first one and couldn't get over that hideous camera angle; offset over the shoulder. horrible gameplay design.

--------

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 03:17 AM

6. "Thank you, Will. To this point:"
In response to Reply # 5

the whole experience of "making a
>video game a playable movie" has breed a thousand horrible
>offspring. enough with the fucking cinematics. the dramatic
>convoluted storylines. the overdone voice-acting. if I want to
>see a movie, I'll go see a real movie. I don't want to sit
>through a video game producer's idea of a movie. Snake Eater
>was dope though.

I'm having the completely, 100% opposite experience.

Quick example:

I saw the new James Bond shit.

Came home, played some GTA V.

If this is the way it's gonna keep going, then movies are
gonna have a hard time.

IMO, their days are numbered because movies are beginning to
pale in comparison to the raw experience of a lot of these games.
The games are starting to tap into that part of the brain that appreciates wonder AND the part that enjoys action and excitement. Modern action movies are, by and large, horrible.

I mean, my expectations are so low that I liked that new
Mission Impossible. There are single missions in GTAV that
were more enjoyable. And by a lot.

So interesting observation on your part, but I'm having the
opposite experience

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Thu Nov-19-15 01:11 AM

10. "I definitely feel like I'm in the minority"
In response to Reply # 6

of course I gravitate towards the cortado-sipping movies, which aren't going to be replicated by many games.

also might be why I'm into fighting games so much right now. you can pick it up and play anytime, and in 20 minutes and be done with it.

--------

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 10:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "RE: Rank these video game series in terms of overall goodness"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-17-15 10:17 AM by BigReg

>Assasin's Creed
Never could get into this, no opinion, lol.

>Grand Theft Auto A+
The most fun videogame ever created because it feels like you can do whatever you want. One of the best gaming experiences in the modern era is ignoring the storyline and just going HAM and seeing what you can pull off before you die.

>Bioshock A-
Some of the best storytelling you're going to get in the genre, along with some of the best first person shooter dynamics. A joy to play.

>Resident Evil B
The OG of the horror videogame. There's been other series that have done what they do better, but the crown jewel of the series, Resident Evil 4, is still the goat.

>Gears of War B+
First time I played a shooting game that felt 'real' as far as gunfights are concerned. Some of the best graphics ive ever seen, great gun dynamics, the storyline is kinda generic but still fun.

>Halo A+
Goldeneye showed the world that you could make a good first person shooter on a console, Halo showed you can make a GREAT one. People have issue here and there, but without the series 1/3rd of the games on this list wouldn't exist.

>Fallout B+
Fallout is ugly, bug filled, and can be boring as fuck sometimes. But outside of Grand Theft there is no series that gives you as much freedom to do whatever you want in the game world...at any given moment you could run into cool ass shit that is worth the price of admission.

>Metal Gear A
Since the OG versions they've done the whole cinematic videogames the best, and they are still the most creative games out there even if the core of the gameplay is sneaking around and choking dudes out. While the storylines can get really stupid, its a series that proves running around and choking people out can never NOT be fun. Great all around.

>Tomb Raider NA
Never played the modern versions, but its getting raves for its new revival. Apparently they took alot from the Uncharted series which is a very good look/

>Witcher
Never played

>God of War A
Usually games this bleak and adult used to suck because they just used the setting to sell the game. This is the exception: At it's heart its an old school beat em up polished to the tenth degree; great series.

>Uncharted A
One thing with modern games is that they try to make you feel like you're in a movie but fuck it up with a shitty storyline or acting. Or they focus so much on the movie part the game itself sucks. Uncharted does both sides perfectly and it's a joy to play.

>Mass Effect A+
One of my favorite games of all times...its surprising how much they pulled off in that game. Only issue I can see for many is that it requires alot of time investment and since it's so many game genres crammed into one (rpg! shooter!) and as a result its a jack of all trades, master of none. Also, if you aren't into sci-fi more of the star trek kind might be a bit boring in the beginning.

>Batman: Arkham whatevers A-
The evolution of those old nintendo beat em ups; great graphics, great story and some of the best 'mood' you're going to experience this gen. It never personally hit for me (not a huge batman fan) but the handful of times ive played it the work those developers is very apparent.

>Star Wars: Battle whatever B-
It FEELS so much like star wars so the ten year old kid in you will have a boner. However there's no meat to it. It's the one night stand with good sex, but no conversation...it's like a great rental. Played the FUCK out of the beta and loved every second but cancelled my pre-order when they said that the official version doesn't have much stuff more to it. The old versions were tight though.

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 10:50 AM

8. "Based on my enthusiasm for the series...."
In response to Reply # 0

....and weighted somewhat to "what have you done for me lately":

Top Group:

GTA
Bioshock
Tomb Raider
Uncharted
Fallout

Next Group:

Gears of War
Halo
Mass Effect
Batman

Bottom group (not a critique on the quality, just one's I've maybe only effed with one game in the series):

Resident Evil - scary games aren't usually my thing as I don't like being tense all the time. I do have 1 and 2; actually made it through 2. I own one of the later games as well, but didn't really get into it.

Metal Gear - only played and beat the PS One joint; the new one looks cool but not sure when/if I'll cop.

Far Cry - bought 3, never played. Got 4 for as a birthday present; have only played about an hour into it, but I do actually wanna give them a chance at some point.

Never played and/or not much interest:

Assasin's Creed - I do have have whatever Creed was available when the PS4 first dropped, but I only played a few hours into it and wasn't really feeling it

Witcher
God of War
Star Wars: Battle whatever

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Wed Nov-18-15 02:08 PM

9. "Based on my own fun factor"
In response to Reply # 0

16-Assasin's Creed
2-Grand Theft Auto
10-Bioshock
6-Resident Evil ( On the strength of RE4 alone)
14-Gears of War
7-Halo
13-Fallout
3-Metal Gear
4-Tomb Raider
8-Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 ( because RE was repeated twice)
15-Witcher
5-God of War
9-Uncharted
1-Mass Effect
12-Far Cry
11-Batman: Arkham whatevers
17-Star Wars: Battle whatever (Never played them)

>
>I know I'm mixing genres, don't care
>
>Just curious what y'all think, honestly
>
>If you don't want to rank them individually you can
>rank tiers or whatever
>
>No criteria, but feel free to share why you feel a
>certain way
>
>This is 100% Friday curiosity
>
>Assasin's Creed
>Grand Theft Auto
>Bioshock
>Resident Evil
>Gears of War
>Halo
>Fallout
>Metal Gear
>Tomb Raider
>Resident Evil
>Witcher
>God of War
>Uncharted
>Mass Effect
>Far Cry
>Batman: Arkham whatevers
>Star Wars: Battle whatever
>
>
>----------------------------
>
>
>
>O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"
>
>
>
>
>"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."
>
>(C)Keith Murray, "

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Lobby High-Tech topic #298133 Previous topic | Next topic