Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #297718

Subject: "Until Dawn (PS4)" Previous topic | Next topic
cskncream
Member since Oct 19th 2004
1648 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 11:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Until Dawn (PS4)"

I'm curious to know if anybody has played this. Kind of surprised that this game has been flying under the radar.

Quick synopsis from Wikipedia: When eight friends become trapped on a remote mountain getaway gone wrong, things quickly turn sinister and they start to suspect they aren’t alone. Every choice the player makes while playing as each of the eight friends – even the seemingly trivial ones – will carve out a unique story. The player's actions alone determine who survives until dawn.

We don't have a PS4, so the hubby started watching Let's Plays of this and I got hooked. I've been rabbit-holing down YouTube just to see the different choices people made.

I've watched a couple of groups play all the way through. Scary Game Squad was my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

Anybody playing it? If so, how did you do?

=============================
-sans sig

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yes! Loved it!
Oct 08th 2015
Finally I can discuss this game!! (SPOILERY ASS DICUSSION to follow)
Oct 08th 2015
Spoilery ass reply incoming
Oct 08th 2015
      RE: Spoilery ass reply incoming
Oct 08th 2015
           I wouldn't mind every two years (spoilers)
Oct 08th 2015
I only read this post, but I'm already convinced.
Oct 08th 2015
      Do it!
Oct 08th 2015
One of the games that is making me buy a PS4
Oct 09th 2015
I copped over the weekend even though I'm a coward....
Oct 12th 2015
I know I couldn't play it myself because I'm a huge chicken.
Oct 13th 2015
Dammit y'all. I don't have time for this, but y'all made me buy it today...
Oct 12th 2015
Gamer Club - it still 2 years?
Oct 12th 2015
Yep still 2 years and only on physical discs. I love it
Oct 13th 2015
That's a GREAT price for this game.
Oct 13th 2015
Dammit, I wanted to play this with the wife.
Oct 12th 2015
i feel ya
Oct 12th 2015
Yeah exactly, haha
Oct 13th 2015
Aww that sucks that she's not into it. I get it though.
Oct 13th 2015

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 11:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yes! Loved it!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-08-15 11:49 AM by Paps_Smear

Let me get this out of the way first, I'm a huge fan of anything horror, so maybe I'm bias. That being said, I certainly don't love every horror game and realize that a lot of them are trash.

If you enjoyed games like TellTales The Walking Dead, also keep in mind this is even more interactive and also your choices seem to matter a bit more.

This thing borrows a lot from the horror genre. If you're a fan you'll be able to pick out different styles that lie within all the sub-genres of horror flicks. Some characters you'll hate, others you'll pull for the entire time. There are ways to make them nicer, or to make them a complete asshole.

Anyone can die. Depending on how you play, you can either have them all live, some can die, or no one can survive. The game gives you subtle hints at how you can maybe let someone live. Trying to be Mr. Nice guy non stop thinking you'll get the best ending? Won't work. Some choices you may have to be a dick, and being the nice guy will either get you or someone else killed.

The story narrative will remain the same, as in there is always one common way to the ending. What changes is how you get there. Meaning if you no longer have someone alive then your interactions and how you get from one point to another will change. Think sort of like Heavy Rain where one choice can change a lot of how you get through the game.

This is one of the best story style choice your own adventure games I've played. If you're into that type of thing, I can't recommend this game enough. Especially if you're a fan of horror.

Edit: As far as how I did. Everyone lived with the exception of one person. The thing that I liked about it is one mistake I thought was super minor resulted in that person being killed. If you don't have a PS4 this is the perfect game to watch a Lets Play video of because it plays like a movie. Also, with the twist and turns in this, I feel like it does a better job of being scary than most movies I've seen lately.

Sony stated that they didn't really advertise this game and I think they're going to even more this Holiday season. It's a fantastic PS exclusive that really needs more shine.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

cskncream
1648 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 12:10 PM

2. "Finally I can discuss this game!! (SPOILERY ASS DICUSSION to follow)"
In response to Reply # 1

>Let me get this out of the way first, I'm a huge fan of
>anything horror, so maybe I'm bias. That being said, I
>certainly don't love every horror game and realize that a lot
>of them are trash.

I actually don't like the horror genre at all. Movie or game - I'm usually put off by it. But this? I couldn't stop watching it. I started following the let's play series I mentioned and the wait between episodes was TORTURE. I know the game pretty much in and out now, so I've been dying to talk to folks who have played it.

*For anyone else reading, spoilers start here*

>Anyone can die. Depending on how you play, you can either
>have them all live, some can die, or no one can survive. The
>game gives you subtle hints at how you can maybe let someone
>live. Trying to be Mr. Nice guy non stop thinking you'll get
>the best ending? Won't work. Some choices you may have to be
>a dick, and being the nice guy will either get you or someone
>else killed.

Dude... friggin Matt!! Most folks I watched tried to play him as a nice guy and got him killed. At first I thought it was BS writing, but like you said - they gave you hints as to how to play his character. Straying from that = death. But I now also appreciate that they kind of nodded to the "black guy dies first" trope by making it fairly easy to kill him first.

>Edit: As far as how I did. Everyone lived with the exception
>of one person. The thing that I liked about it is one mistake
>I thought was super minor resulted in that person being
>killed. If you don't have a PS4 this is the perfect game to
>watch a Lets Play video of because it plays like a movie.
>Also, with the twist and turns in this, I feel like it does a
>better job of being scary than most movies I've seen lately.

Okay, so who did you get killed? (If you don't want to say explicitly, I'll know who it is by the decision lol). Only one death on the first run-through is pretty impressive though. Those QTEs looked lightning fast. Also... did everybody keep their digits?

>Sony stated that they didn't really advertise this game and I
>think they're going to even more this Holiday season. It's a
>fantastic PS exclusive that really needs more shine.

It definitely does. I hate that this was an exclusive because I would've loved to have played it. (Well, watch my husband play. I'm way too chicken for these types of games.)

-sans sig

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 03:25 PM

3. "Spoilery ass reply incoming"
In response to Reply # 2

>Dude... friggin Matt!! Most folks I watched tried to play him
>as a nice guy and got him killed. At first I thought it was
>BS writing, but like you said - they gave you hints as to how
>to play his character. Straying from that = death. But I now
>also appreciate that they kind of nodded to the "black guy
>dies first" trope by making it fairly easy to kill him first.

Matt lived for me because I got tired of Emily's shit. I played how I would really react to the characters. Also I think its hilarious, because Matt can die at a few points, he can be one of the first that plays into the black guy dying first. The thing I LOVED is if you react how black folks should react in horror movies by saying "fuck this shit I'm outta here. He lives! Like if you try to rescue the girl you're fucked. If you say, nah fuck these people I'm not trying to get killed. Then you live! It's genius.

>Okay, so who did you get killed? (If you don't want to say
>explicitly, I'll know who it is by the decision lol). Only
>one death on the first run-through is pretty impressive
>though. Those QTEs looked lightning fast. Also... did
>everybody keep their digits?

Jessica died for me. I took the safe routes to get to her because I didn't want to take the risky ones and end up killing myself. I missed one minor QTE and it was too late to save her. I almost knew she was a goner because she was dying to have sex with me at one point. You can't have sex in a cabin in the woods without something happening. I've seen every Friday the 13th. I'm not stupid.

Also with Mike I kept my fingers. I used the machete to pry open the trap so I could keep my hand intact. Next time I'm not even going that way so I can keep the blade and my digits.

>>Sony stated that they didn't really advertise this game and
>I
>>think they're going to even more this Holiday season. It's
>a
>>fantastic PS exclusive that really needs more shine.
>
>It definitely does. I hate that this was an exclusive because
>I would've loved to have played it. (Well, watch my husband
>play. I'm way too chicken for these types of games.)

I have a lot of games in my back catalog but I really can't wait to play this one again. One of the most well done story driven games I've played in a very long time. That damn twist midway through. Like I honestly didn't see that coming and made it that much worse. And the part where you can't even move your controller! I literately held my breath through it every time.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

cskncream
1648 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 04:04 PM

4. "RE: Spoilery ass reply incoming"
In response to Reply # 3

>Matt lived for me because I got tired of Emily's shit. I
>played how I would really react to the characters. Also I
>think its hilarious, because Matt can die at a few points, he
>can be one of the first that plays into the black guy dying
>first. The thing I LOVED is if you react how black folks
>should react in horror movies by saying "fuck this shit I'm
>outta here. He lives! Like if you try to rescue the girl
>you're fucked. If you say, nah fuck these people I'm not
>trying to get killed. Then you live! It's genius.

Lol! To solidify your point, I watched that scene when a black dude was playing. As soon as she started mouthing off on the edge of the tower, he promptly said "bitch, bye" and he lived. It really is rather brilliant.

>Jessica died for me. I took the safe routes to get to her
>because I didn't want to take the risky ones and end up
>killing myself. I missed one minor QTE and it was too late to
>save her. I almost knew she was a goner because she was dying
>to have sex with me at one point. You can't have sex in a
>cabin in the woods without something happening. I've seen
>every Friday the 13th. I'm not stupid.

I think I read that even if you get all of the QTEs on the safe route, you'll still be too late. I haven't verified that though. The PTs I watched went risky and nailed all of the prompts, so she lived at that point. I noticed most folks weren't able to get Jess down to her underwear. Most get her to take her cost off. Some pissed her off so bad, she gets taken in her coat. I really like those little details.

>Also with Mike I kept my fingers. I used the machete to pry
>open the trap so I could keep my hand intact. Next time I'm
>not even going that way so I can keep the blade and my
>digits.

Did you happen to find the guidance totem warning about that? I saw some dudes find it and then they did it anyway. I was yelling at the screen! Not to mention that getting out was pretty horrific.

>I have a lot of games in my back catalog but I really can't
>wait to play this one again. One of the most well done story
>driven games I've played in a very long time. That damn twist
>midway through. Like I honestly didn't see that coming and
>made it that much worse. And the part where you can't even
>move your controller! I literately held my breath through it
>every time.

Yo... I cannot TELL you how stressful that was to watch! Especially since it looks like there's a subtle drift you have to account for. I was watching that last part like I personally had something on the line. This was fantastic story telling and a lot of fun. I hope they keep it going - maybe anthology style where the story and threats are different but the game style is the same. Not sure how they'd do it, but I'd definitely be on board. Blows Telltale out of the water for me and I enjoy their games.

-sans sig

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 07:51 PM

6. "I wouldn't mind every two years (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 4

>Yo... I cannot TELL you how stressful that was to watch!
>Especially since it looks like there's a subtle drift you have
>to account for. I was watching that last part like I
>personally had something on the line. This was fantastic story
>telling and a lot of fun. I hope they keep it going - maybe
>anthology style where the story and threats are different but
>the game style is the same. Not sure how they'd do it, but I'd
>definitely be on board. Blows Telltale out of the water for me
>and I enjoy their games.

The way I handled it was I gripped the controller hard as shit and held it on my lap. The ending where the windigo's were all up in your face screaming and you couldn't move. So damn tense! I loved how you thought it was a slasher flick type of game, and then the monsters came out and fucked your whole world up. I'm a sucker for these type of switch ups in horror movies so I was like a kid in a candy store when the second half of the game kicked in.

If they did an Until Dawn game lets say every two years and it came out in October I would be happen. Different setting, different people, different threats. If they can release shitty Paranormal Activity movies every year I'd like to see this at least every two or three, as the story is way better.

I'm so excited now that you've made this post I'm thinking about playing it again before Halloween. Honestly, this would be a great game to have people over drinking and helping you make decisions. Seems like it would be a blast.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 05:09 PM

5. "I only read this post, but I'm already convinced. "
In response to Reply # 1

This sounds like the perfect type of game to play with the wife.

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 07:52 PM

7. "Do it!"
In response to Reply # 5

It's so great with other people. You can do the whole "Don't go in there!" shit out loud without pissing people off in a movie theater. And you can literately not go in there if you have the option not to lol.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Fri Oct-09-15 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "One of the games that is making me buy a PS4"
In response to Reply # 0

I played it at my cousin's who had a BBQ at his crib and played for 4 hours and was mesmerized. Great game.I love horror flicks but this is more about making choices and the possibilities that your decisions open and close. It also looks gorgeous.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I copped over the weekend even though I'm a coward...."
In response to Reply # 0

....and don't usually eff with scary games. The premise and graphics made me give in.

I haven't played yet, but I feel like I'm gonna end up with a lot of dead folks if there's parts where you can't move the controller haha (I have shaky hands).

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

cskncream
1648 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 11:39 AM

15. "I know I couldn't play it myself because I'm a huge chicken."
In response to Reply # 9

I was cringing just watching it. No way I would've made it through the Don't Move sequences. But it was so much fun to watch. Like Paps said, perfect game to play with other people.

-sans sig

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 02:11 PM

10. "Dammit y'all. I don't have time for this, but y'all made me buy it today..."
In response to Reply # 0

I saw it was only $40 at best buy plus my gamer discount brought it to $32. So I said what the hell, can't beat that price.

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Gamer Club - it still 2 years?"
In response to Reply # 10

I was thinking about doing that but it's just for physical games right not digital?

But the discounts more that pay for itself it seems.

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:22 PM

18. "Yep still 2 years and only on physical discs. I love it"
In response to Reply # 12

Especially with the preorders of the blockbuster games cuz of them giving you the 20% off plus $10 back in rewards certificates for each one you preorder. I had like 50 bucks worth of certificates stored up already so when I preordered Halo 5, I only paid like $45 for 2 copies of the game.

cskncream
1648 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 01:50 PM

16. "That's a GREAT price for this game."
In response to Reply # 10

If we had a PS4, it'd definitely be in the library. But this was so much fun to just watch. I'd be interested to know how you did once you get around to playing it.

-sans sig

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 02:39 PM

11. "Dammit, I wanted to play this with the wife."
In response to Reply # 0

She's usually down for horror related stuff, but we watched a gameplay trailer on this and she couldn't hang, haha.

Gonna pass in the meantime until it drops further in price. I really want to experience this, but usually when I have time for games I want something with more meat in the actual gameplay (ie, usually shoot things).

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 04:27 PM

13. "i feel ya"
In response to Reply # 11

I normally play these style of games as my "in-between" game.
Meaning after I play something that requires a bunch of mechanical skills and me constantly having to think on the fly, I'll kinda chill with something like this where the gameplay allows me to relax a bit. I would say chill, but it's story doesn't let you chill with all the tension it builds lol.

I'm sure it'll go down in price. Sony already called it their sleeper hit. Just wish they would have advertised more.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 08:51 AM

14. "Yeah exactly, haha"
In response to Reply # 13

It's the type of game that's a great break from the norm, but because of its nature it's not exactly the most relaxing. I have to be in a certain mood to play horror games on my own, like when I played the Dead Space 1 for the first time ever a year or two ago. But while I love horror flicks on my own, horror games get me TOO invested and I start freaking out, haha.

cskncream
1648 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 01:56 PM

17. "Aww that sucks that she's not into it. I get it though."
In response to Reply # 11

I closed my eyes during most of the more gruesome scenes - even the ones I knew were coming (after seeing several let's plays). There's a compilation video of all of the possible deaths that I can't bring myself to watch.

As for the gameplay, I get it. There's not a lot of active involvement outside of the decision trees and QTEs. In fact, even the shooting opportunities seem more like QTEs. But it's such an engaging game. I've been telling everybody about it.

If Until Dawn 2 surfaces, I'm first in line.

-sans sig

Lobby High-Tech topic #297718 Previous topic | Next topic