Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #297650

Subject: "Who is looking forward to the Transformers Devastation video game?" Previous topic | Next topic
normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who is looking forward to the Transformers Devastation video game?"
Thu Oct-01-15 05:38 PM by normal35762

I wanna peep this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJJYMsgSsk

Glad that there was even an attempt at making tihs game. Hopefully this will be good and prompt sequels.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Finna be mad 30-somethings playing this and eating hella cereal.
Oct 01st 2015
Hell yeah. I've been waiting for this shit for years.
Oct 02nd 2015
Holy shit. That looks amazing.
Oct 02nd 2015
i'm skeptical
Oct 02nd 2015
*fingers in ears*
Oct 02nd 2015
i'm not trying to be overly negative. i swear!
Oct 02nd 2015
      nah, i hear you. i just want to believe again.
Oct 04th 2015
Dammit, you know your shit too
Oct 02nd 2015
the ability to roll over and dragon punch jabronis with Wheeljack can't ...
Oct 03rd 2015
Me too. I need to read some reviews on how well it plays
Oct 03rd 2015
Live gameplay... the polygon crew is playing it right now
Oct 06th 2015
I fool with this.
Oct 08th 2015
I really fool with this game now.
Oct 13th 2015
is there an open world in the game?
Oct 08th 2015
it's not like GTA, but you can do this if you want.
Oct 13th 2015

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 06:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Finna be mad 30-somethings playing this and eating hella cereal."
In response to Reply # 0

And I will be one of them.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 12:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Hell yeah. I've been waiting for this shit for years."
In response to Reply # 0

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 01:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Holy shit. That looks amazing."
In response to Reply # 0

Platinum Games has a great fucking resume too. The hype meter is off the charts for this one

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 03:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i'm skeptical"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-02-15 04:04 PM by bearfield

the last time platinum was tapped by activision to produce a game based on a popular non-video game license we got the bad-to-middling 'the legend of korra': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra_(video_game)#Post-release

also i think this is a fairly blatant attempt by activision to cash in on 30-somethings' rose-tinted memories of childhood with some good old "empty nostalgia" (shout out to austin walker)

i'm fairly certain that nearly all of platinum's a-team is busy with scalebound. being hyped for this transformers game is ill-advised imo

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 04:29 PM

5. "*fingers in ears*"
In response to Reply # 4

-30-

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 04:59 PM

7. "i'm not trying to be overly negative. i swear!"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Oct-02-15 05:02 PM by bearfield

i want every game to be amazing. platinum is an incredible developer that has made some of my favorite games of the past generation. they are more than capable of making a high quality product. i honestly hope this game will be great but since activision is involved and scalebound is likely using most of platinum's greatest resources i'm not expecting the transformers game to be much of anything

but it's entirely possible that acti/plat will have learned from the 'the legend of korra' experience and release something awesome. here's to hoping they do

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sun Oct-04-15 01:05 AM

10. "nah, i hear you. i just want to believe again."
In response to Reply # 7

-30-

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 04:59 PM

6. "Dammit, you know your shit too"
In response to Reply # 4

klasf;lakjfa

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Sat Oct-03-15 06:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "the ability to roll over and dragon punch jabronis with Wheeljack can't ..."
In response to Reply # 4

This game is by default, gonna be a lot of fun in a sort of mindless way that Michael Bay's monkey ass wishes he could evoke. that's all I ask.

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Sat Oct-03-15 06:48 PM

9. "Me too. I need to read some reviews on how well it plays"
In response to Reply # 4

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 01:51 PM

11. "Live gameplay... the polygon crew is playing it right now"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHukwx9iqs

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 03:31 AM

12. "I fool with this."
In response to Reply # 0

and note: this is one of those games that illustrates why I jumped off the platformer bandwagon when it went to 3D. I absolutely hate having to work with a camera while moving.

But other than that, I think the game play is really solid. I'm a Platinum novice; I've watched more of their work than actually played it. I like that using ranged weapons isn't a chore. But you gotta have some good reflexes with this. Veterans will jump right into this game. I also like that, while the controls are simple on their face, there's a little depth. No wasted motion. You do have to transform to do certain things.

Each character has their own different feel. Sideswipe is a bad dude. I wish he were like that on the actual show (or that you saw him more).

Voice acting? Mostly good. Some of what I've heard (like Soundwave), not so much (I blame the vocoder they used). Some of it sounds a little generic. But the characters you remember the most sound great.

I think this is authentic G1. The plot seems kind of thin, but familiar, but it doesn't matter now, as much as it didn't then. I like that the game designers seem to be having fun with the characters (there's a part where Megatron rides around in the bed of Long Haul's dump truck mode and you have to chase him in car mode).

"Cybertron" series this is not, but this is definitely nostalgic fun thus far. It almost feels like G1 Transformers meets Dragon Ball Z at times.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 11:39 AM

14. "I really fool with this game now."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Oct-13-15 11:53 AM by Dr Claw

Besides all the nostalgic shit, this is genuinely a good and entertaining game.

Yes, the 12-year old in me is like, "EAT TRAILER BITCH" when hitting Prime's trailer attack or when doing his ode to the Power Geyser. I kind of wish the TV show was more like this.

In fact, it reminds me a lot of my favorite Transformers-related game prior to the Cybertron series: the simply named "Transformers" on PS2. It was actually based on the Micron Legend/Armada series that aired sometime in the 2000s. It was much your usual run and shoot 3D platforming, but with Transformers-specific things like transforming and the "Pokemon" aspect of the Minicons. Where this game rises above that standard (and Cybertron) is that this game is much more colorful and vibrant than any of those games. Might be a consequence of having a Japanese developer. I am notoriously biased for the 16-bit era of gaming, where Japan dominated, and everything wasn't so fucking Christopher Nolan movies dark and serious. The "serious" tone of the aforementioned Transformers games was much appreciated then, however. In comparison to the source material, especially. The series on which the PS2 "Transformers" game was based was a total mess, made even messier in translation (thanks to Hasbro and the realities of "trademark protection"). The game actually eschewed all of the dumb stuff and basically made it a much involved "Autobots vs. Decepticons" kind of deal. There were even nods to the original series, in dialogue and otherwise. Like this game, original voice actors were used where possible, which added to the appeal. So that Devastation follows in those footsteps, with more colors (literal and metaphorical) is much appreciated.

The only thing that bothers me about the gameplay is the rate at which I have to "camera correct". There's a lot of depth, a lot of fun; I'm sure this will be familiar to those who have played other Platinum games, but much of the mechanics are Transformers-specific. Now that I've had time to play more of the cast (I haven't made it to Grimlock), I'm really starting to catch the nuances.

There's a lot to do. Side missions, weapon collections, Easter eggs, weapon synthesis, learning the various combos and mechanics. Even though, on the face, everything is simple and intended for the player to get used to a "continuous" session (without pausing). There's also "levelling up", so there's also grinding to do.

(side note: fuck Seekers, I hate having to deal with flying ass Decepticons)

This is, for the most part, the Transformers game long-time fans have been waiting for.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 12:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "is there an open world in the game? "
In response to Reply # 0

...i want to drive around the city

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 11:40 AM

15. "it's not like GTA, but you can do this if you want."
In response to Reply # 13

>...i want to drive around the city

it's pretty linear aside from the "side missions" which are more like bonus stages. and shit like catching Kremzeek (amazing that they even incorporated the undisputedly most annoying thing from the TV show in a meaningful fashion)

Lobby High-Tech topic #297650 Previous topic | Next topic