Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #297545

Subject: "FIFA 16 First impression" Previous topic | Next topic
Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"FIFA 16 First impression"

Almost didn't make it to work today...
I cracked it open this morning and played it a bit. I played the demo before it came out and full version is pretty identical.

First impression is that the models for the players look worse than on 15, in contrast the stadiums and the details on the grounds including the crowd look the best it has ever been. Second; animation is smoother and more detailed, controls have been tightened but the crosses are not as intuitive as they were on 15. The quick short passes (Tiki-Taka) are back which make the game unrealistic. Still suffers from the issue where a slow defender like Vidic or Pique would catch up to a speed demon like Hazard or a Messi, easily on a one on one race; The dribbling reception is annoying at first as it enables the defenders to pick the ball from you but there's a method in the madness; otherwise it's the same old FIFA and my social life is about to die. I still have to try FUT and the career.

I'm only on XBox One right now, anyone want to play some friendlies, NappySoul76 is my XBLive handle add me up.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
PES vs FIFA 16 (PS3)?
Sep 23rd 2015
PES, it's not even close this year
Sep 23rd 2015
I've never been a big fan of FIFA, and always been a big PES guy
Sep 23rd 2015
all of this sounds just like 15. i hated 15
Sep 23rd 2015
If you're a fan of actual gameplay, PES 16 destroys FIFA 16
Sep 23rd 2015
i want to get PES on PC
Sep 23rd 2015
I mentioned a few of these aspects but I'll delineate here
Sep 23rd 2015
      thanks! i may have to get this inferior version of PES
Sep 23rd 2015
Used to love PES... then I moved to Canada
Sep 23rd 2015
After spending 24 hours with FIFA 16
Sep 24th 2015
i'll believe this when i see it lol
Sep 24th 2015
      yeah it was about what i expected.
Sep 28th 2015
If you aren't playing PES 16, you're missing out
Sep 28th 2015
Total newbie to soccer games. IS PES the way to go?
Sep 29th 2015
      As of right today....no doubt about it
Sep 29th 2015
Just bc I'm frustrated, FUCK the Chelsea high press
Sep 29th 2015
liking it, but got trapped in FUT
Oct 01st 2015
howw do i use custom tactics in FUT?
Dec 09th 2015
Just as an FYI, PES 2016 just launched a Free-to-Play version on console...
Dec 11th 2015

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 02:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "PES vs FIFA 16 (PS3)?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thinking about buying a game for the first time in years.

From the demo it seems like the PES gameplay is much better on a PS3. Much more fluid and realistic. Graphics look better as well.

FIFA has the teams. Both club and international (though there are downloadable PES files out there claim to remedy this problem).

anyone have opinions on this debate?

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "PES, it's not even close this year "
In response to Reply # 1

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 02:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I've never been a big fan of FIFA, and always been a big PES guy"
In response to Reply # 0

But I didn't even know FIFA was coming out for PS3. The PES demo is fun though.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 02:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "all of this sounds just like 15. i hated 15"
In response to Reply # 0

>First impression is that the models for the players look worse
>than on 15, in contrast the stadiums and the details on the
>grounds including the crowd look the best it has ever been.
>Second; animation is smoother and more detailed, controls have
>been tightened but the crosses are not as intuitive as they
>were on 15. The quick short passes (Tiki-Taka) are back which
>make the game unrealistic. Still suffers from the issue where
>a slow defender like Vidic or Pique would catch up to a speed
>demon like Hazard or a Messi, easily on a one on one race; The
>dribbling reception is annoying at first as it enables the
>defenders to pick the ball from you but there's a method in
>the madness; otherwise it's the same old FIFA and my social
>life is about to die. I still have to try FUT and the career.

i think i'm going with PES this year

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 03:22 PM

4. "If you're a fan of actual gameplay, PES 16 destroys FIFA 16"
In response to Reply # 0

I played both last year and the gameplay gulf was already evident...that gulf has widened considerably this year. The control and feel of PES feels so natural compared to the arcade like speed, interactions, and general homogeneity of players in FIFA. The AI and weight of animations are the best I've ever seen in a soccer game.

I played PES religiously on the PS2 when it was leap years ahead of FIFA and then switched over to FIFA when it took some huge steps and laid waste to PES during the 360/PS3 iterations....however, I was very pleasantly surprised with PES 15 and 16 is that much better. Best on field experience of any sports game I've played.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

bearfield
8050 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 03:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "i want to get PES on PC"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Sep-23-15 03:40 PM by bearfield

but i hear it's not even on par with the ps4 version. it's somewhere in between a ps3 game and a ps4 game. the videos on steam make it look very bad graphically. i know it's all about the gameplay but rocking ps3 graphics in 2015 on an 8GB card is really hard for me to stomach

here are my beefs with FIFA:

• the AI "cheating" (i realize this happens in every sports game but FIFA's "cheating" always seems particularly egregious)
• attribute matching (i.e., slow CB's outrunning speedy wingers) in lieu of competent AI
• your team players being really dumb
• error chance on pass accuracy even when you have passing set to manual
• manual switching not working correctly

does PES do any of the above? can you delineate the ways in which PES gameplay is superior to FIFA?

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 04:46 PM

8. "I mentioned a few of these aspects but I'll delineate here"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed Sep-23-15 04:52 PM by LA2Philly

>but i hear it's not even on par with the ps4 version. it's
>somewhere in between a ps3 game and a ps4 game. the videos on
>steam make it look very bad graphically. i know it's all
>about the gameplay but rocking ps3 graphics in 2015 on an 8GB
>card is really hard for me to stomach

I definitely understand that and it's a shame it's not the PS4 port.

>• the AI "cheating" (i realize this happens in every sports
>game but FIFA's "cheating" always seems particularly
>egregious)

I wouldn't say the AI cheats outside of the norm...if you play smart and tactical football, you will be rewarded. If you play sloppy, you will be taken advantage of. There's never a time where I felt like I got cheated, I could always trace it back to decisions that I made.

>• attribute matching (i.e., slow CB's outrunning speedy
>wingers) in lieu of competent AI

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned the homogeneity of FIFA players...Pro Evo makes those individual differences matter and that's a big aspect of what I mentioned above with playing smart vs sloppy...understanding the player differences and how that affects your strategy.

>• your team players being really dumb
Like I said above, extremely good AI. Players find pockets and overlaps are very well done...with higher awareness players, you'll see a noticeable difference in how well they read the game. Defensively, the game rewards you for playing disciplined and with shape and then taking chances in low-risk situations...aka the fundamentals of soccer defending.

>• error chance on pass accuracy even when you have passing
>set to manual

I feel this is the biggest issue in soccer games, in general, because you are often playing in tight spaces with multiple targets and precision/timing being so vital...that being said, I found myself not nearly as frustrated with PES than I had been with FIFA.

>• manual switching not working correctly
I use the right stick to manually switch so I can't comment on this.

>can you delineate the ways in which PES gameplay is superior to FIFA?

The pace of the game is far more realistic, the animations and interactions in the game are extremely realistic (particularly when jostling for the ball, it's not like in FIFA where you have to nick the ball defensively, you can use weight and strength to jostle and push players off the ball), players and teams feel and play different with player differences accentuated, the AI actually understands tactics, the manual tactics are extremely responsive...it feels like you're playing soccer.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

bearfield
8050 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 09:21 PM

9. "thanks! i may have to get this inferior version of PES"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed Sep-23-15 09:21 PM by bearfield

if only to support "niche" (for PC) games like this. konami took the MGSV PC version pretty seriously. hopefully they will do the same for PES in the future

Nappy Soul
1181 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 04:41 PM

7. "Used to love PES... then I moved to Canada"
In response to Reply # 4

>I played both last year and the gameplay gulf was already
>evident...that gulf has widened considerably this year. The
>control and feel of PES feels so natural compared to the
>arcade like speed, interactions, and general homogeneity of
>players in FIFA. The AI and weight of animations are the best
>I've ever seen in a soccer game.
>
>I played PES religiously on the PS2 when it was leap years
>ahead of FIFA and then switched over to FIFA when it took some
>huge steps and laid waste to PES during the 360/PS3
>iterations....however, I was very pleasantly surprised with
>PES 15 and 16 is that much better. Best on field experience of
>any sports game I've played.

Didn't know that the demo for PES was up. Reviews are very positive. I haven't played PES since 2009 but used to love them. I used to buy both every year then chose FIFA just because of its number of teams and my addiction of FUT .Doesn't help that most of my friends here never played PES in their lives. Since you all seem to enjoy PES, I'm gonna pick it up too. I've been feeling that FIFA has been resting on their laurels. Not enough innovation and progress. The issues with positions attributes in gameplay have been addressed for years and they been deaf to it.

I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Nappy Soul
1181 posts
Thu Sep-24-15 03:59 PM

10. "After spending 24 hours with FIFA 16"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm in love.
There's an actual learning curve here. For the first time since 2012, the way you play the game changed. It feels fresh...Although not perfect.I stick with my first impressions and my biggest complaint of all is EA making me spread my butt cheeks wide open when my FUT15 Points,coins and squad don't carry over to FUT16. It's theft if you ask me. FUT carried over from 14 to 15, I had to expect the same here.

The game itself though...Lots of intricacies in the way you can play. It forces you to make the extra pass in midfield. No longer can you just lob pass to your winger and gain space to go to the goal. in 16 your defenders track the ball handler from the midfield and trap the eventual striker away from the ball, which is great.Tackles are not as chancey as they used to be. The way you direct a header is also more accurate than it ever was. They finally feel smart. So far only attacking felt smart. Midfield is where the fun is though . If you play a wide formation your wingers don't just stay there without helping , you'll see them making themselves available. If you're a box to box type of player, it feels awesome to connect pass to pass until you're able to get an on target attempt because the defense will separate to help midfield and overwhelm you. My favorite formation for Chelsea per example is the 4-4-2 Diamond wide, it's a delight to see your wingers swap position with the strikers offering themselves for a through pass through defense.Result you score more with your wingers than ever before. Hazard and Ronaldo and Muller can get on the score sheet as frequently as your average striker. Also your defensive midfield shadows your attacking midfield to collect an eventual loose ball and automatically see a winger run back for support.

Career has more options .an invitational event before the season to try out your noobs. Also a training system that improves your players attributes and overall grade.

FUT brand new draft has you play a fantasy team of first team players that win you coins for your overall FUT

I'm getting PES16 this weekend along with 2K, I'm gonna be broke this month. lol

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Thu Sep-24-15 08:51 PM

11. "i'll believe this when i see it lol"
In response to Reply # 10

>I'm in love.
>There's an actual learning curve here. For the first time
>since 2012, the way you play the game changed.

fifa been playing the same since like 08 with just minor differences in mobility capabilities. i have a hard time believing it's any different this year.

<--- Big Baller World Order

BrooklynWHAT
85073 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 08:57 PM

13. "yeah it was about what i expected."
In response to Reply # 11

it's definitely a bit better. but its basically more of the same.

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 10:50 AM

12. "If you aren't playing PES 16, you're missing out"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-28-15 10:53 AM by LA2Philly

And I mean that in the sincerest way. This is the best sports game I have ever played...the feel and weight of the gameplay combined with how the game rewards you for playing smart, tactical football is so satisfying.

Konami has improved upon 15 in so many ways...the defensive responsiveness, AI, and ability to use weight/leverage have balanced the gameplay significantly; makes it that much more satisfying when you patiently create space and use the full width of the field. The game is so good in terms of mirroring reality: If you continue to try and force a certain strategy (like say Arsenal constantly forcing the ball centrally and attempting to string passes together against an extremely compact defense), your results will suffer...but if you recognize that and start utilizing your fullbacks on their overlaps, the game completely opens up; it's an ebb and flow just like the real game.

Lastly, and I have mentioned this numerous times when comparing it to FIFA, the individuality of the teams and particularly the players continues to astound me. Individual playing styles have been reflected extremely well and you have to utilize that knowledge to bolster your defensive and offensive strategies...again, real life football.

One piece of advice for anyone playing is to utilize the advanced passing setting...as we know with footy games, trying to pick out players in traffic can be pretty difficult but that advanced passing definitely helps with that.

Cannot give enough props to Konami for this game.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 04:47 AM

14. "Total newbie to soccer games. IS PES the way to go?"
In response to Reply # 12

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 09:52 PM

15. "As of right today....no doubt about it"
In response to Reply # 14

<--The drought is over

L D E A

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 09:57 PM

16. "Just bc I'm frustrated, FUCK the Chelsea high press"
In response to Reply # 0

Cotdamn that team is relentless in PES...press the shit of you and counter instantly. You have to be 2-3 passes ahead to break it because if you try and hoof that ball to your advancing players, Cahill and Terry are there to knock you off at a moment's notice. Trying to use my sidebacks as an advancing outlet is always a dangerous balance because if I get caught, there's a huge hole for the counter.

It's incredibly fun trying to break it down and balance your strategy though...love this game.

And fuck Costa too, just because.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:43 AM

17. "liking it, but got trapped in FUT "
In response to Reply # 0

Now on my third season and I've been hooked into building a team. Still pisses me off that apparently your team is the only one that has fatigue carry over from game to game, and the logic behind some of the chemistry things is ridiculous. So the Irish get along with the English, but the Americans get along with nobody? And if I open another pack with a damn winger I'm going to be livid.

Will jump into a career mode tomorrow.

Always amazes me the things they miss out on. They sponsor the hell out of the Premier League but don't have a mode where you can use your fantasy team?

BrooklynWHAT
85073 posts
Wed Dec-09-15 10:48 PM

18. "howw do i use custom tactics in FUT?"
In response to Reply # 17

i can set one up but the shits dont save. it kinda defeats the purpose if i cant set the team to play how i want.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Fri Dec-11-15 02:03 PM

19. "Just as an FYI, PES 2016 just launched a Free-to-Play version on console..."
In response to Reply # 0

It just has access to myteam online and 7 teams (the ones for the demo)

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

Lobby High-Tech topic #297545 Previous topic | Next topic