Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #297530

Subject: "Anybody hack/jailbreak a Roku? And is it worth it?" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 12:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Anybody hack/jailbreak a Roku? And is it worth it?"

One of my dad's co-workers got in his ear about running kodi and being able to watch 'everythang'. Now, from what I've been reading, doing this involved streaming through Plex on a desktop/laptop. Looking at his setup at home, I'm not sure how good an idea that would be (the desktop has a pre-Vista era Core2Duo and everything in the 2 story house has to run wirelessly off the standard Fios Actiontec router). I haven't looked into how much of a rabbit hole hacking a Roku would be, or how 'parent-proof' the end result would be either. In the end I'm wondering if buying a FireTV or Pi2 and running The Beast (or some other build of kodi) on that would be easier, both for him and for me (because I do not want to keep going over there or taking phone calls and texts to try and troubleshoot this).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Kodi is dope because of all of the plugins it has
Sep 28th 2015
Why not just a PC for the TV?
Sep 28th 2015
Small and Cheap for the parental units
Sep 29th 2015
I keep hearing the amazon dongle is the ish for pirated stuff.
Oct 02nd 2015
The Fire Stick is a best kept secret for real.....
Oct 05th 2015
      This may be the move
Oct 14th 2015
I bought a Fire TV (2015 model)
Oct 18th 2015
And back it went
Oct 27th 2015
just bought a nexus player for $25 for target clearance. KODI is crazy.
Oct 22nd 2015

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 01:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Kodi is dope because of all of the plugins it has"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-28-15 01:03 PM by Mafamaticks

but I stopped messing around with XBMC/Kodi because:

A. I like ALL my shit in HD. A lot of the plugins that provide streaming content are SD or worse.

B. You have to deal with the plugins not working or having glitches due to random API changes or any other weird shit that goes on. You'll have to spend some time on the forums to find out what's going on.

C. Random instability with Kodi in general. It's not going to crash on you, but I went with Plex because I like my shit to just work.

All that to say when it works, it's amazing with tons of flexibility. I had a media center with Kodi that played all of my emulators, movies, music and a few PC games all with an amazing front end to navigate it.

When it doesn't work it's a pain in the ass. Too much bending and something is bound to break.

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 10:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Why not just a PC for the TV?"
In response to Reply # 0

Getting a PC solves a lot of problems. Anything you can access from the web is there and unblocked. If they have a PC app you can run it. You can use a full size keyboard and mouse/trackpad for quicker entries.

You can probably buy a 3 year old Core i3 PC with Windows 7 on it off Craigslist for under $100 - if its a laptop just make sure it has HDMI or a DVI output.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

spenzalii
10978 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 05:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Small and Cheap for the parental units"
In response to Reply # 2

I already need to set up a NAS/server for them, as my father seems to think his PS3 is a photo and video storage machine (long story). I'm not sure which TV they would want to put this on, but they don't have tons of room. And the less complicated the better, as I don't have time to do a whole lot of explaining

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 12:16 PM

4. "I keep hearing the amazon dongle is the ish for pirated stuff."
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 08:06 AM

5. "The Fire Stick is a best kept secret for real....."
In response to Reply # 4

I was amazed at how hackable it was. I had Kodi running on it in a matter of minutes....
With that said...Kodi is gonna Kodi... lol... I wouldn't bequeath my folks with something like that because they'd be calling me to fix it....

Even if you don't do Kodi on it...I wholeheartedly recommend the Fire Stick...ESPECIALLY the new version that's coming out with Alexa built in.

spenzalii
10978 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 09:00 PM

6. "This may be the move"
In response to Reply # 5

Setting them up with Pi may be a bit much for them. A Fire Stick seems a bit more parent proof

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Sun Oct-18-15 01:11 AM

7. "I bought a Fire TV (2015 model)"
In response to Reply # 0

I had a $50 gift card to bestBuy so it cost me like $60 out of pocket.

It's small.

The interface is okay - but Amazon keeps mixing things that cost money in with free things. There is a Prime only section but the interface doesn't give enough of a clue where you're at. Luckily you can protect yourself from buying something accidentally by requiring a PIN number.

I installed Kodi on it. Couldn't figure out how to get my Mac OR PC to allow SMB sharing with it (works fine on my PC Kodi) so I ended up installing SMB UP on my Mac. Once I did that then connecting to the shares work fine.

Most things played fine - the forward/rewind functions sometimes locked Kodi for a few minutes. I'd say if you start a movie and watch it you're fine. Pausing it and resume is fine too. But it may lock up if you forward/skip back for some files.

Also Kodi for Android doesn't seem to plat .WTV files for some reason. (From Windows media Center.)

I couldn't get VLC for Android to see any of my SMB shares.

I don't have a 4K TV but I have a 4K Dell Monitor. All the made for Amazon series available for UHD played fine at 4K 30z. They had "Funny Girl" the 1960's Barbara Streisand film in there too and no video appeared when I attempted to play it. I think they may have a few other 4K videos in Prime - but not much.

Issue: Sometimes I'd press a button on the remote and the Fire TV would do nothing - even the light that comes on the front when it senses a signal didn't happen - I see other people on the net saying they had the same problem too.

Issue: No "easy" way to have side loaded apps appear in the Interface. You have to go to Settings > Applications > All Installed Applications to launch it. (There are programs that can map buttons on the remote to run programs - but I'd be nicer if you could see them in the interface.)

I'll keep playing with it this weekend, but it looks like this thing is not a replacement for a HTPC - but could be a nice streaming box with the bonus of Kodi and VLC - but I think it has room for improvement.

------------

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Tue Oct-27-15 04:02 PM

9. "And back it went"
In response to Reply # 7

The remote was super flaky. Apparently Amazon is revving the device and re-releasing on Nov 7th 2015 with fixes for it.

------------

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Thu Oct-22-15 07:23 PM

8. "just bought a nexus player for $25 for target clearance. KODI is crazy."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-22-15 07:24 PM by gusto

crazy illegal. but crrazy none the less. and stupid easy to install.
basically replacing my roku 3

..|.,

If you still don't know what Jade Typhoon is, click here:
http://jadetyphoon.blogspot.com/ (WS)

Lobby High-Tech topic #297530 Previous topic | Next topic