Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #296865

Subject: "3D XPoint might change computing as much as SSDs did (PCWorld swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 10:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"3D XPoint might change computing as much as SSDs did (PCWorld swipe)"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2954056/3d-xpoint-might-change-computing-as-much-as-ssds-did.html

Stephen Lawson
IDG News Service

Jul 28, 2015 4:00 PMe-mailprint

The 3D XPoint memory technology that Intel and Micron announced Tuesday is new to its core and took years to develop, but that work may pay dividends in both living rooms and data centers.

3D XPoint is 1,000 times faster than the NAND flash used in today’s consumer electronics and SSDs (solid state drives). That’s for both reading and writing data, the companies say, and it’s as big a leap as the move from spinning disks to SSDs. It could kick off the same kind of upheaval that the shift to solid-state drives has caused, according to Rob Crooke, senior vice president and general manager of Intel’s Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group. Products are expected starting next year.

Here are a few examples of what 3D XPoint might bring about: Better speech recognition for talking to your phone, better face recognition for biometric security, computers controlled by hand gestures, and seamless transitions between scenes in video games. That’s in addition to big-data pursuits like real-time gene sequencing and financial fraud detection.

Intel and Micron call it a new way of holding data that will complement flash and conventional memory, opening the door to new applications that are impossible to predict today.

“This is something that many people thought was impossible and many people gave up trying to accomplish,” Crooke told reporters and analysts at a launch event in San Francisco. Hundreds of engineers worked on the project, which began in earnest in 2012 as part of a collaboration between Intel and Micron that’s been going on for 10 years. The companies wouldn’t say how much they’ve invested.

“It didn’t come easily or cheaply,” Micron CEO Mark Durcan said.

The “3D checkerboard” architecture they developed forms a grid where each memory cell is attached to two metal lines, one vertical and one horizontal. This allows the system to address each cell by itself instead of doing block erasing and re-writing as NAND does. That increases speed.

The system also stores the bits on each cell differently from NAND, by changing the resistance of the material itself instead of moving electrons. As a result, it can use all the material in the cell, which leads to greater density and will help 3D XPoint to scale up, Crooke said.

Fundamental breakthroughs that bridge the gap between storage and memory have been talked about for years, including “memrister” technology that Hewlett-Packard had said it would use in its Machine, a computer that stores all its data in non-volatile memory, said Technalysis analyst Bob O’Donnell. HP recently backed away from memrister and said the Machine would use conventional DRAM for now.

3D XPoint isn’t exactly unified memory because it’s meant to complement NAND and DRAM, but Intel and Micron earn points by actually making their technology a reality, O’Donnell said.

“It’s hard to overstate the kind of impact that this could have,” said Pund-IT analyst Charles King. Just as the falling cost of DRAM has made in-memory databases like SAP’s Hana feasible, 3D XPoint could bring very high-speed data access to a broader market, including consumer systems—probably beginning with high-end gaming PCs, he said.

The new memory, in turn, may help to drive system builders toward faster pipes between storage and CPU. Intel has been pushing NVME (Non-Volatile Memory Express) to take full advantage of the speed of flash, and 3D XPoint raises the stakes again. “It’s incredibly important for a technology like this,” Crooke said.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
TL;DR - loading screens are about to be extinct
Jul 29th 2015
^
Aug 07th 2015
Should I really move to a SSD in my laptop?
Jul 29th 2015
a: probably
Jul 29th 2015
Your computer will feel easily twice as fast
Jul 29th 2015
bang for your buck it's the biggest upgrade you can make
Jul 29th 2015
Please do it, the price is so much cheaper now too
Jul 31st 2015
Absolutely. Get one. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200
Aug 07th 2015
      I do kinda wish my computer booted up slower sometimes
Aug 07th 2015
           funny story
Aug 09th 2015
can't wait for when this shit becomes affordable in 2025.
Jul 29th 2015
LOL
Aug 05th 2015

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 09:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "TL;DR - loading screens are about to be extinct"
In response to Reply # 0

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 03:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "^"
In response to Reply # 1

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 01:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Should I really move to a SSD in my laptop?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-29-15 02:08 PM by Sleepy

I'm highly considering it. But I really don't know what is really realistic in regards to capacity. I'm really kind of ignorant when it comes to SSDs and what I should be expecting as a performance boost.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 02:23 PM

3. "a: probably"
In response to Reply # 2

like, unless you need like a TB at all times and can't carry an external drive?

If you haven't used an SSD before, the main problem with SSDs is that they're so fuckin fast it fucks with you.

like you used to be able to turn your computer on, then go do something else while it boots up.

with an SSD you don't do that because it's just on and waiting for you to login.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 02:48 PM

4. "Your computer will feel easily twice as fast"
In response to Reply # 2

No lie.

And you can get a 1Tb drive for around $310 now (Samsung on eBay from Newegg today.)

Or get a 240GB they're running between $69 and $99 depending on the day.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 03:12 PM

6. "bang for your buck it's the biggest upgrade you can make"
In response to Reply # 4

outside of not having enough RAM

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 04:50 PM

7. "Please do it, the price is so much cheaper now too"
In response to Reply # 2

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 09:34 AM

9. "Absolutely. Get one. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200"
In response to Reply # 2

The performance gains are immediate and absolute. You'll never want to go back to a HDD again

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 12:40 PM

10. "I do kinda wish my computer booted up slower sometimes"
In response to Reply # 9

that shit is just annoying

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sun Aug-09-15 05:14 PM

12. "funny story"
In response to Reply # 10

i play alot of battlefield

since the beginning of time battlefield is notorious for long load times in between rounds

well it was really bad with bf4 so it motivated me to buy an SSD

so i was loading and getting into the round before 90% of the rest of the people huge advantage

then they locked it down and made it to where you have to wait for x number of people to click "Ready" for it to begin

so now i load fast then have to sit there and wait for everyone else to load....

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 03:08 PM

5. "can't wait for when this shit becomes affordable in 2025."
In response to Reply # 0

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Wed Aug-05-15 12:47 PM

8. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 5

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Lobby High-Tech topic #296865 Previous topic | Next topic